India Pale Ale - Meantime Brewing Company Limited

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2005

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
1.52/5  rDev -61.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I'm not sure if I got a bad batch or what, but my first indication of a bad beer was on the POP. There was none. Popped the cork, and nothing. There was no head or carbonation when poured into a tulip glass. The smell was foul. Like malted mold. The taste was absolutely awful. Slick and musty. I had to pour it out. I'm assuming, since everyone else rated it so well, I got a bad one. Won't try it again. (405 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -58.6%

I was recommended this beer by a Cost Plus stock clerk in Palm Springs, CA. He claimed "this is the best IPA I've ever had." "Better than Stone's Ruination IPA?," I asked. "Better."

He lied. Either that or this beer has gone bad. The color was promising. The smell was acceptable, although awfully malty for an IPA. But the taste...I don't even know where to begin. It tasted like a chemical spilled into it. Was that clerk being a dick? I'm ready to pour this out.

I hope this is just a terrible mistake and the beer has simply turned, but the store I got it from rotates their stock often enough to make me believe this is just what this beer is. Sad. (655 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -41.2%

I have to say that I was really excited about drinking this beer after seeing the A- rating. Even at Bevmo, the guys were raving about it. So here goes the review.

Appearance: I have to say, when I first poured it, Meantime looked awesome! Poured a nice thick head. It had a cloudy hefeweizen color. I have to admit, it looked very refreshing.

Smell: The smell was pretty good as well. It was a sweet smell. I could smell a fruity almost papaya smell. Very aromatic. But no hoppy smell.

Taste: This is where the good turns into bad. For the amount of money I spent for an IPA made in England... I was not impressed at all. It really didn't taste much like an IPA. For some reason, it tasted like a Chimay white. A bad Chimay white at that. It was not hoppy at all. Did not have the bite and kick of a true IPA.

Mouthfeel: Gotta say that it was boring on my tongue and in my pallatte. I tried over and over to find the flavor and hops. None there.

Drinkability: I drank the entire bottle because of how much I paid for it. I almost poured it down the drain.

I truly do not recommend this IPA. I did not understand why it was priced so high and why it got such high ratings. I'll stick to my Green Flash IPA.

CHEERS! (1,222 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -40.4%

Reviewed 11/10/2009 (bottle):

Pours a golden brown color body, with an average tan color head. Diminishing. Malty aroma, bitter dusty, musty. A little funky. Light taste, some maltiness. More dustiness in the taste. English tasting. Probably the yeast or the hops. Eh, not so tasty. Might be something off with this bottle. (324 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -38.4%

750 ml bottle with no freshness date poured into a Maredsous glass on December 08, 2010.

Appearance 3.5/5
Amber to light orange hued, with poor clarity, medium off white head, and medium head retention and lacing.

Aroma 2/5
Most faint spicy-earthy hop aroma riding on an equally faint malty sweetness and that's about it. Thoroughly unimpressive.

Taste 2.5/5
Medium malty sweetness, some spicy hop flavor, very low bitterness, and some alcohol. Could've been called average had it not been for the horrible aftertaste.

Mouthfeel 3.5/5
Not too terrible on the body with low carbonation that seems fitting.

Drinkability 2/5
I don't see the appeal of this beer except for its fancy bottle and cool label. I've never had a true English IPA (except this one!) but I am sure there exist much better representations of the style. This one was a complete waste of liver and dollar alike. One of my friends that I shared the bottle with went as far as calling it a vile beverage. While I might not have such an extreme sentiment, I am not buying this again, and perhaps avoiding it for free too, unless it smells of something remotely hoppy, in which case I would chalk my experience up to a bad/old bottle. (1,203 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured hazy orange w/ a four finger off white seafoam head that left a good amount of sticky lace from top to bottom. The aroma was subtle, however I got hints of sweet pear, white grapes and straw upfront. Somewhere in the middle he scent of fresh cut grass and flowers with a doughy finish. I was not so impress with the taste or mouthfeel. Medium body with a toffee sweet beginning that faded out quicky, leaving a light alcoholic and soft carbonation feel. A long lasting bitter ended the drink. Overall, I felt this IPA was on the weak side. Then again I prefer American IPA over English IPA, I feel American IPA has more depth in all catagories. (651 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -32.6%

A = Golden amber in the glass, slightly translucent, with a thinner head, but plentiful lacing in the glass.

S = aroma on the whole is slightly sweet and malty, but little else comes from the aroma. It is near odorless of hops, which I find puzzling.

T = medium bitterness but well balanced by the honey-like sweetness and very light citrus notes that kicks in very quickly. A fair amount of dark chocolate in the finish, though it does not linger long on the palate.. But where are the hops that it advertises? There are barely any that I could detect. Here I was disappointed. The tag said that they crammed as many hops as they physically could into the copper, but I did not detect much

M = Thinner than I would expect, but not to the point of being watery. There is still some resinous feel on the tongue, and the bubbles are subtle.

D = Overall, this brew is subtle in nature, but lacks character with only having sweetness and a surprising finish. However, it is the transition from sweetness to this finish that offers a pleasant surprise. This is its greatest strength, but also is the greatest weakness of the brew. Overall, I was not impressed with this brew being representative of the IPA style, even by English standards of putting less hops than the American counterparts. . It was far too sweet and grossly under-hopped. (1,343 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -31.6%

A friend picked up a bottle of this for a recent tasting. Pours a quite cloudy straw shade with a thick head. Aroma is weak for an IPA. Lots of carbonation, almost tingles like champagne on the tounge. Where's the hops? The hop kick is essential in an IPA and this just doesn't have it. No bitterness. Really disappointed with this English IPA. (344 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -27%

In the glass this is a clear orange colored ale with a thin white head formation.

Smell is mostly sweet syrup to my nose. Little bit of butter and wood and that is about all that I can smell.

Taste is buttery and woody with fair amount of bitterness at the start. The taste stays buttery with just a bit of bitterness to it. Seems to lack dry hops. Doesn't taste like an IPA to me.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkable? Well I finished the glass. Not that great to my sense of taste. (487 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -26.5%

A-Poured slightly cloudy orange. Light head left light lacing. Head was small but retained well.

S- Very balanced. Perhaps sweeter than hoppy. Sweetness derived from caramel and not hoppy fruity sweetness. Grassy hoppiness and a bit floral.

T-Downgrade from the nose. This was freshly tapped too. This is why English IPAs generally are outmatched by their American-styled counterparts. This tasted mostly like stale apple juice. Not hoppy enough and the malt bill left me unsatisfied. Hop profile was too subdued and also generally underwhelming.

M-I enjoyed the low carbonation and the medium body. It felt creamy and almost cask-like.

O/D-I did not enjoy this at all. After the first sip I was looking for the next beer to order. Hate to slam a beer, but I will not dabble with Meantime's brews unless I hear good words from someone else. (845 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from 11.2 bottle to pint glass.

Appearance- Golden-orange translucent with white foamy head. 2 finger head that diminishes and laces the sides.

Smell - Nothing much in the nose, almost smells like an adjunct lager to me. Maybe a tiny bit of malt and a bit of citrus.

Taste - Malt and boozy, a tiny bit of bitter which comes as grapefruit. Almost tastes bready, too much alcohol taste, I wonder how old this bottle is.

Mouthfeel - Too carbonated, not enough bite for a IPA, this beer just feels different.

Drinkability - Only a few of these, not a session beer for me.

My first time trying an English IPA was not a good one, please someone assure me that this is just my bottle, but this wasn't that great, I was looking forward to this alot more. (763 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -24%

Very attractive looking corked and caged 750ml bottle. Pours a very attractive golden orange color with a nice creamy off-white head. The aroma is sweet malt and citrusy hops, a lot fainter than what I expected from an IPA. The taste has to be one of the sweetest IPAs I have tasted, almost a honey like sweetness with some hops in the finish. I am not a huge fan of this beer because of the high amount of sweetness. If it was a little less sweet, I think it would be a great brew, I think the hop profile is pretty solid. (523 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a bottle.

Pours a nice golden color with a minimal head...Hence the low score.

SMell: Subtle, not as much hops as you'd expect from a IPA. SLight sweet with some alcohol, almost like a vodka.

Taste: Sweeter than expected. very very mild, "essence" of pepper, lemon and pine. Less hoppy bitterness than expected.

Overall: a bit weak in terms of an IPA. you expect that nice brittish hoppy bite, but you dont get it..The sweetness would be much more balanced if there was a bit more hop in there. (512 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.7%

Head is nearly white. Body has golden-bronzy colour that is fairly light for an IPA.

Can't detect too much on the nose, it's like Meantime have gone the CAMRA path and produced a lightly hopped English IPA. I'm really struggling to get much off this, there is a kind of fruity floralness there, which is more noticebale on the palate but this beer really falls flat compared to US West Coast IPAs. There is some heavy sweetness, which suggests good malt content. Halfway through drinking I had to regenerate the head but even that dissipated pretty quickly, which wasn't that impressive.

This beer has a good base and I think the malt content is just about spot on but the hops really need work. But, then again, English beers traditionally focus on malt so that's not too surprising. If this beer had NZ hops added to it at the start of the boil and also in dry hopping I think it would be pretty fantastic. (910 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Almost picked a bottle of this up, held off, then lo and behold, there it was at the beer festival (SDIBF). Glad I waited to try this one.

Good appearance, had that darker twinge of a beer, a little amber over yellow. Leaves a very pronounced and gaseoous head (lots of bubbles/foam). Extremely disappointing in the alleged dry hopping, should probably be rated lower based on the claims.

Taste is a lot of lemon and caramel. Maybe that's toffee in there too. It just isn't hoppy despite all the potential claims related to that factor on the bottle. Signs of sweetness, bitterness is definitely a little amped up for style, that's a good thing.

If you're gonna deviate from the style, do it all the way like Stone's anniversary selection. This beer was ok, but at $10 a bottle, I'll stick to checking it out in sample size. (829 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - pour reveals an orange-colored, somewhat cloudy brew. Streams of tiny bubbles flow. A small head tops it off.

S - citrus fruit smell

T - the hops are obviously there, with a mild kick. So different from all the strong American IPAs I've had (and really enjoyed) lately. There's a mild malt, citrus taste as well

M - overriding carbonation, all the bubbles fill the mouth, with lots of air on the swallow, then the hoppy bitterness presents itself. (454 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -22%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A- pours a dirty copper orange with a light fluffy head. This beer looks very light and inviting.

S- Fresh baked bread with a little toffee is the main aroma. It almost has a sour smell and I hope that it not infected. I would like to smell more of the English hops.

T- I trying to taste the hops, but I can't find them. It tastes just like an English ale to me. I know I am a hop head and have been tainted by the American hop bombs, but I can't see how this is an IPA. It does have a good flavor but not exactly what I was looking for. That being said the beer is fairly malty with both a toffee and lemon flavor.

MF- Average carbonation and very light.

D- A decent ale that is both light and refreshing. I don't think I would by this beer again but would not turn it down if it were offered to me. (853 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -21%

A-Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy orangey, yellow with a white fluffy head that sticks around for a while. Looks like your typical IPA.

S-Very sweet. It's a very dry smell, sort of wet. Nothing else really jumps out at me.

T-Very mild hop taste, some citrus fruit, some apples and white grapes, hard to discern what else is there.

M-A bit liquidy, a tad chewy, decent mouthfeel.

O-Overall this beer is just OK. Pretty drinkable, decent flavor, but nothing too outstanding, that's about it. (518 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -21%

I knew this IPA would be different than the American ones I'm used to, but I was still shocked by how different. The beer pours a deep gold, much lighter than most IPAs and has a good level of carbonation.The smell does not reveal much hops. The first sip was surprisingly malty and even had a strong presence of alcohol. The finish is dry as expected, but not the powerful taste I am used to. The lack of strong hop presence leaves the beer unbalanced in my mind. (464 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -20.2%

Had this one at the 4th annual Lititz cask beer festival. This one is dry hopped with Golding and Fuggles.

A - Pours pale orange with a small film of white head leaving little to no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of dulled hops, light citric rind, and some very light sweetness. This one is pretty dull if I am being honest but it did get a little better as it sat in my glass...

T - Starts off with a moderate hop bite quickly giving way to a mix of light fruit and dulled sweetness. Around the middle of the glass I began to pick up quite a bit of vegetal flavors that really threw me off and I had a hard time finishing my glass.

M - Medium-Light body and flavor with moderately low carbonation. Pretty nice feel throughout, a bit thin toward the end, with little to no of the 7.5% detectable.

O - I am not sure what happened with this one. I think I may have gotten a pour from the bottom of the cask. Oh well, I enjoyed it for what it was but I doubt I would seek it out again. (988 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured nice deep orange with a small white head, Smelled and tasted less than great. Smelled of malt and some hops, rather let down. Tasted some hops, plenty of malt and if you let it go for a minute the bitterness will hit you at the very end but not much. It was an average IPA but not worth what I paid for it, however always worth a try and not to bad. (356 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -18.4%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a clear bright orange body with a yellowish cream thick head and a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles.

S- The smell of raw field corn takes on more of a raw cream aroma and then gives way to a pungent green bitterness at the finish.

T- The soft taste of pale malt is dry with a plastic quality to it that lingers into the big bitterness of hops in the finish.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat and no astringency.

D- This beer doesn't really have any hop aroma or flavor except for the bitterness that doesn't have much character in itself. No real off flavors except for the plastic and there were no real hop flavors except for the bitterness. (726 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -18.2%

750mL bottle corked and caged. Best before 05/11. 7.50% abv.

Rocky, 1cm offwhite head capping a rich amber-brown body. Good retention.

Yeast, metal, bread. Hmmm. Perhaps this is too cold?

Feel is quite syrupy and thick. Lots of maltiness, sweetish. Finishes on metal, residual sugar, grainy sweet malt. Almost hard to drink - really boozy and one dimensional. A bit of fruitiness but it is cloaked in these harsh flavours.

However, I believe this an authentic EIPA, and for that I think I'm generous with the score. (520 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: hazy; burnt orange in color; almost no head; light lacing that dissipates quickly;

S: perfumy; a lit of toffee in the background;

T: mom-descript sweet malt up front; toffee and dark fruit build through mid-palate to the finish; a light bitterness at the end, but otherwise no hop character;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: date on bottle is 6/9/14 - not sure if that's the bottling date or best by date; either way it's old and may have lost its hop profile; (477 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a cloudy medium amber tone while yielding a short-lived 1" off-white head; decent amount of lacing. the nose here is a little underwhelming. some herbal / floral hops and a presence of bready malt.

flavors delivers more of the herbal / floral hoppiness, along with a stronger citric element than i picked up in the aroma. strong malt presence as well. medium bodied on the palate with adequate carbonation.

overall, not especially impressed here. it's a decent enough, slightly above average beer that i will not be tripping over myself to revisit.

(originally reviewed: 09-16-2011) (591 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last