India Pale Ale - Meantime Brewing Company Limited

India Pale AleIndia Pale Ale

Meantime Brewing Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2005)

cbg79, Dec 01, 2012

Sarnford, Mar 19, 2012

AardvarkJohnson, Dec 18, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -61.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I'm not sure if I got a bad batch or what, but my first indication of a bad beer was on the POP. There was none. Popped the cork, and nothing. There was no head or carbonation when poured into a tulip glass. The smell was foul. Like malted mold. The taste was absolutely awful. Slick and musty. I had to pour it out. I'm assuming, since everyone else rated it so well, I got a bad one. Won't try it again.

scorched, Jan 09, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -61.6%

bluesplit63, Feb 20, 2012
1.55/5  rDev -60.4%

I was recommended this beer by a Cost Plus stock clerk in Palm Springs, CA. He claimed "this is the best IPA I've ever had." "Better than Stone's Ruination IPA?," I asked. "Better."

He lied. Either that or this beer has gone bad. The color was promising. The smell was acceptable, although awfully malty for an IPA. But the taste...I don't even know where to begin. It tasted like a chemical spilled into it. Was that clerk being a dick? I'm ready to pour this out.

I hope this is just a terrible mistake and the beer has simply turned, but the store I got it from rotates their stock often enough to make me believe this is just what this beer is. Sad.

unclemeat9, Jan 01, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -42.5%

I have to say that I was really excited about drinking this beer after seeing the A- rating. Even at Bevmo, the guys were raving about it. So here goes the review.

Appearance: I have to say, when I first poured it, Meantime looked awesome! Poured a nice thick head. It had a cloudy hefeweizen color. I have to admit, it looked very refreshing.

Smell: The smell was pretty good as well. It was a sweet smell. I could smell a fruity almost papaya smell. Very aromatic. But no hoppy smell.

Taste: This is where the good turns into bad. For the amount of money I spent for an IPA made in England... I was not impressed at all. It really didn't taste much like an IPA. For some reason, it tasted like a Chimay white. A bad Chimay white at that. It was not hoppy at all. Did not have the bite and kick of a true IPA.

Mouthfeel: Gotta say that it was boring on my tongue and in my pallatte. I tried over and over to find the flavor and hops. None there.

Drinkability: I drank the entire bottle because of how much I paid for it. I almost poured it down the drain.

I truly do not recommend this IPA. I did not understand why it was priced so high and why it got such high ratings. I'll stick to my Green Flash IPA.

CHEERS!

Vansmack, Apr 02, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -39.1%

Reviewed 11/10/2009 (bottle):

Pours a golden brown color body, with an average tan color head. Diminishing. Malty aroma, bitter dusty, musty. A little funky. Light taste, some maltiness. More dustiness in the taste. English tasting. Probably the yeast or the hops. Eh, not so tasty. Might be something off with this bottle.

jujubeast6000, Dec 29, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -37.3%

750 ml bottle with no freshness date poured into a Maredsous glass on December 08, 2010.

Appearance 3.5/5
Amber to light orange hued, with poor clarity, medium off white head, and medium head retention and lacing.

Aroma 2/5
Most faint spicy-earthy hop aroma riding on an equally faint malty sweetness and that's about it. Thoroughly unimpressive.

Taste 2.5/5
Medium malty sweetness, some spicy hop flavor, very low bitterness, and some alcohol. Could've been called average had it not been for the horrible aftertaste.

Mouthfeel 3.5/5
Not too terrible on the body with low carbonation that seems fitting.

Drinkability 2/5
I don't see the appeal of this beer except for its fancy bottle and cool label. I've never had a true English IPA (except this one!) but I am sure there exist much better representations of the style. This one was a complete waste of liver and dollar alike. One of my friends that I shared the bottle with went as far as calling it a vile beverage. While I might not have such an extreme sentiment, I am not buying this again, and perhaps avoiding it for free too, unless it smells of something remotely hoppy, in which case I would chalk my experience up to a bad/old bottle.

tewaris, Dec 09, 2010

tmzl, Dec 03, 2013

DonFrap, Jun 23, 2012

MrLacinak, Dec 30, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -34%

Poured hazy orange w/ a four finger off white seafoam head that left a good amount of sticky lace from top to bottom. The aroma was subtle, however I got hints of sweet pear, white grapes and straw upfront. Somewhere in the middle he scent of fresh cut grass and flowers with a doughy finish. I was not so impress with the taste or mouthfeel. Medium body with a toffee sweet beginning that faded out quicky, leaving a light alcoholic and soft carbonation feel. A long lasting bitter ended the drink. Overall, I felt this IPA was on the weak side. Then again I prefer American IPA over English IPA, I feel American IPA has more depth in all catagories.

GimpyCane, Feb 17, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -31.5%

A = Golden amber in the glass, slightly translucent, with a thinner head, but plentiful lacing in the glass.

S = aroma on the whole is slightly sweet and malty, but little else comes from the aroma. It is near odorless of hops, which I find puzzling.

T = medium bitterness but well balanced by the honey-like sweetness and very light citrus notes that kicks in very quickly. A fair amount of dark chocolate in the finish, though it does not linger long on the palate.. But where are the hops that it advertises? There are barely any that I could detect. Here I was disappointed. The tag said that they crammed as many hops as they physically could into the copper, but I did not detect much

M = Thinner than I would expect, but not to the point of being watery. There is still some resinous feel on the tongue, and the bubbles are subtle.

D = Overall, this brew is subtle in nature, but lacks character with only having sweetness and a surprising finish. However, it is the transition from sweetness to this finish that offers a pleasant surprise. This is its greatest strength, but also is the greatest weakness of the brew. Overall, I was not impressed with this brew being representative of the IPA style, even by English standards of putting less hops than the American counterparts. . It was far too sweet and grossly under-hopped.

Bigfatbino, Oct 16, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

A friend picked up a bottle of this for a recent tasting. Pours a quite cloudy straw shade with a thick head. Aroma is weak for an IPA. Lots of carbonation, almost tingles like champagne on the tounge. Where's the hops? The hop kick is essential in an IPA and this just doesn't have it. No bitterness. Really disappointed with this English IPA.

grees20, Apr 07, 2008

dreichus, Sep 21, 2013

BostonPhilly, Jun 24, 2013

Bnoise11, Apr 15, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -26.3%

A-Poured slightly cloudy orange. Light head left light lacing. Head was small but retained well.

S- Very balanced. Perhaps sweeter than hoppy. Sweetness derived from caramel and not hoppy fruity sweetness. Grassy hoppiness and a bit floral.

T-Downgrade from the nose. This was freshly tapped too. This is why English IPAs generally are outmatched by their American-styled counterparts. This tasted mostly like stale apple juice. Not hoppy enough and the malt bill left me unsatisfied. Hop profile was too subdued and also generally underwhelming.

M-I enjoyed the low carbonation and the medium body. It felt creamy and almost cask-like.

O/D-I did not enjoy this at all. After the first sip I was looking for the next beer to order. Hate to slam a beer, but I will not dabble with Meantime's brews unless I hear good words from someone else.

VelvetExtract, Mar 31, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -25.1%

In the glass this is a clear orange colored ale with a thin white head formation.

Smell is mostly sweet syrup to my nose. Little bit of butter and wood and that is about all that I can smell.

Taste is buttery and woody with fair amount of bitterness at the start. The taste stays buttery with just a bit of bitterness to it. Seems to lack dry hops. Doesn't taste like an IPA to me.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkable? Well I finished the glass. Not that great to my sense of taste.

Zorro, Dec 11, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from 11.2 bottle to pint glass.

Appearance- Golden-orange translucent with white foamy head. 2 finger head that diminishes and laces the sides.

Smell - Nothing much in the nose, almost smells like an adjunct lager to me. Maybe a tiny bit of malt and a bit of citrus.

Taste - Malt and boozy, a tiny bit of bitter which comes as grapefruit. Almost tastes bready, too much alcohol taste, I wonder how old this bottle is.

Mouthfeel - Too carbonated, not enough bite for a IPA, this beer just feels different.

Drinkability - Only a few of these, not a session beer for me.

My first time trying an English IPA was not a good one, please someone assure me that this is just my bottle, but this wasn't that great, I was looking forward to this alot more.

cvaypai, Jul 02, 2009

MrVonzipper, Feb 18, 2012

Very attractive looking corked and caged 750ml bottle. Pours a very attractive golden orange color with a nice creamy off-white head. The aroma is sweet malt and citrusy hops, a lot fainter than what I expected from an IPA. The taste has to be one of the sweetest IPAs I have tasted, almost a honey like sweetness with some hops in the finish. I am not a huge fan of this beer because of the high amount of sweetness. If it was a little less sweet, I think it would be a great brew, I think the hop profile is pretty solid.

cjgator3, Jul 19, 2008