Mestreechs Aajt (Dutch - Saccharin Version) - Gulpener Bierbrouwerij B.V.

Mestreechs Aajt (Dutch - Saccharin Version)Mestreechs Aajt (Dutch - Saccharin Version)

Gulpener Bierbrouwerij B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Flanders Oud Bruin |  3.50% ABV

Blend of "Hollandish" Oud Brouin {around 3.5% alc/vol} , "Dortmunder" lager bockbier {around 6.5% alc/vol} and the "primeval" beer. The "primal" beer has been aged in traditional wooden barrels. It introduces lactobacilli, Brettanomyces and other microflora into the very complex blend.

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 08-05-2003)
Reviews by Shaw:
Shaw

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

I ended up with a whole case of this beer thanks to a shipping mistake from Beverage Bistro. Instead of a sampler, I got 12 bottles of Mestreechs Aajt. And they let me keep it for free! I only wish I dug it more.

I'll have to agree with the other reviewers that this ale is different. It has quite a bitter/sour quality to it, which I would imagine comes in no small part from the saccharine added. Reminds me of a lambic, with its acidic tones. But I see it's another style entirely: Flanders Red/Oud Bruin. Must be similar to a lambic, though, since it's from the same general region.

After the initial shock of the first few sips, this ale does improve. Not an ale to drink in quantity, but certainly one to try in order to expand your beer horizons.

08-27-2003 03:33:28 | More by Shaw
OldFrothingSlosh

3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

Different....I'll certainly say that about this offering. A pretty ruby-colored beer with *massive* off-white head that clings all over the glass. Aroma is sweet (understatement), with a cherry candy-like smell as well. Taste is very sweet up front, sour on the tail end. Cherry flavor noted all over the taste. Finished dry. Tough to drink for me...if it's typical for the style, then I'll steer clear of beers like this in the future. Certainly on of the more unique beers I've had in a long time.

Props to AKSmokedPorter for this one.

08-19-2003 23:38:21 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
mjtiernan

09-06-2012 22:38:33 | More by mjtiernan
Gusler

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -9%

On the pour a very deep sanguineous color with a modest and frothy light tan head that dissipates quite quickly leaving a thin coating of lace upon the glass. Nose is an acerbic, somewhat sour cherry aroma, with some sweet malt underlying it all. Start is sweet at the front, sour at the back, top is skimpy in its mouth feel, with the finish ferine in its acidic bite, hops present but understated, cherry like tones carry from the start to the very dry lingering aftertaste. Another sampling will be required before I can say I really like or dislike this beer, drinkable nonetheless.

08-09-2003 15:27:26 | More by Gusler
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Another sincere thank you to my pal CaptainCougar for such a rare bottle Dark ruby brown, big sticky off-white head, long-lasting for a tart beer although this one is only 3.5%. Notes of sour oak, cherries, sweet caramel and blood in the aroma. Very malty palate, spicy (nutmeg) without too much sourness and a big caramel tone (actually the label proposes that this is brewed using caramel). It makes for an original, but not as pleasant example of the style to my tastes. Medium bodied, very smooth and easy going. The session flemish sour and I like it. Exceptional drinkability and nevertheless extremely flavorfull for this ABV.

04-05-2004 04:52:32 | More by Rastacouere
RBorsato

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%

Dark brown to coca-cola black with a decent beige head, decent carbonation, and thin lace sheets. Interesting sweet and sour malt aroma without being fruity. Sour malt flavors with some slight oak character... A bit overly sweet. Light bodied.

Per Label: "De Zwarte Ruiter" & "Water, barleymalt, hop, caramel, saccharine"

Best Before (end of): 05/2004

07-11-2013 03:18:00 | More by DrunkinYogi
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Man o' man, does Rich O's get some tasty stuff on tap! A great Belgian Red with an abundance of cherries, berries, grapes, and with a musky, vineous underlayment. A mohogany hue with a creamy carbonation that fades to a trace rather quickly. Richly tart and mildly wine-like, with, perhaps a vinegar flavor. Malts are lightly soured and moderately bodied for easy drinking, and a mouth waterin puckering. Mysteriously dry and mildly sharp in the finish. Any Belgian beer fan would surly love this beer.

06-06-2006 19:44:54 | More by BEERchitect
lgmol

Nova Scotia (Canada)

08-16-2014 11:08:56 | More by lgmol
dogfooddog

Panama

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer came as a beer-of-the-month offering in either 2002 or 2003. Today one is opened to see what has come of it. Immediately the resemblence to flemish sour beers is noted in the aroma. Label states that this beer has saccharine - so is this the saccarin version even though I got it in the US? Mods. please move this review as appropriate if it isn't. A date on the back label says 05-2004 - is this date one year post-bottling?

The sour is so strong in the smell that the taste is actually underwhelming - there is a malt undertone that seems to reduce the sourness and it feels like you took a rodenbach and cut it 30% with a non-descript brown malt ale. It is also quite sweet.

At 3.5%abv this beer is very drinkable and still very tasty with nearly 3 years of age in the bottle. Perhaps my affection for rodenbach grand cru and other flemish sour ales makes the actual taste vs. smell of this beer underwhelming, but it is very enjoyable and I look forward to finishing the remainder of my stock.

02-26-2006 00:34:00 | More by dogfooddog
mvhinkle

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

I won this bottle in a raffle so I wasn't sure what style it was before I tried it. It only took one smell to figure it out and the Flanders Red/Oud Bruin happens to be one of my favorite styles.

My first impression was a good one and it reminded me a lot like Duchesse de Bourgogne. The appearance was a dark ruby color with a rapidly disappearing head not unlike others of this style. The smell was sour cherries which to me is a good thing.

The taste was OK but I like mine with a little more sourness. I tasted sweet cherries with a light tart acidic undertone. It had a medium body that felt silky in the mouth.

This was a very drinkable beer that I would definitely try again.

04-16-2004 16:33:47 | More by mvhinkle
UnionMade

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

The beer pours a deep yellowish woody brown, with a very thin head. Sodalike, in the fact that it flares up, and dies away very quickly, leaving only a breath of mist around the edges.
Arom is an odd sourness, clean, without that odd farminess that a lambic has. Slightly lemony fruitiness, with moderate sweet maltiness, some caramel, and sour green apple.
Flavor is very strange. I've never had a beer like this. The first sip was intensely sour at first, quickly morphing into a saccharine, candy-like caramel sweetness. As you drink further, the sourness takes on a green apple flavor, very clean, and meanders further and further into the sip, allowing the sweetness to come through later and later. It's like a liquid candy apple. Estery, with a pronounced apple flavor, and a suggestion of rootbeer later on. Sour green apple up front, changing to a cidery apple flavor in the middle, and finishing with a caramel sweetness, leaving a sticky, candy sweetness in the aftertaste. Effervescent, with tingy small bubbles.
Very unusual. Unlike any beer I've ever had before. I'm not sure if i could make this a regular in my fridge, but it was awesome to try, and i certainly enjoyed it. Complex and interesting.

09-01-2003 17:48:14 | More by UnionMade
marburg

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%

Dark and almost disturbingly sweet, this is truly the Dutchess hopped up on sugar bombs and cherry cola. The aroma is powerfully sweet with a clear cherry undertone and a very restrained wildness. I can't say I've ever tasted a beer quite like this, which is a good thing, I think. Heavily carmelized sugar really dominates most of this beer, though there's a brief sour tingle that makes me want more. If this were a tiny bit more balanced by that sour streak, this would be a mad, impressive beer. As it is, if it's goal is to be sweet by mildly interesting, they've reached it. To tread carefully is my warning to those who find some sweet beers inherently cloying or sickly sugary. This isn't for you.

08-19-2003 02:43:26 | More by marburg
DoctorB2B

11-19-2011 05:43:25 | More by DoctorB2B
Knapp85

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

This beer poured out as a really nice brownish red color. The head was sticky, foamy and tan in color. The aroma smells like a lambic, it's got a good funkiness on the nose. The taste is very surprising. Sweet flavor upfront with some really subtle tartness. The beer is hardly a sour. The flavors of earth and some sweet cherry. Also some mild oak flavors in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is smooth and fairly light on the tongue. Good carbonation. Overall I personally think this is a very good beer. It's not often that I order more than one of the same beer in a sitting. I'm on my second right now! Great tasting brew!

06-30-2011 22:21:41 | More by Knapp85
Truh

New Hampshire

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Wore a scarlet letter with this one on 10/20/2004. ?-oz. pour at ACPH in a stunning long-stemmed goblet.

Initial two-inch pillow of fluffy, root beer-like, head that simply refused to subside for close to four minutes. It was a lesson in patience to sit and watch things settle, and one well worth the wait. Ripened crab apple, cherry, and a hazy veil of rock candy sweetness coalesced in my nasal passages as I stuck my snout in the goblet. It possessed a deep, dark blood hue that I was just able to see through when held to a burning candle. Finally taking a sip, a noted light cherry sweetness was omnipresent at the start, with a slightly chewy malt following and a hint of bitterness, as if some orange rind had made its way in to the pour. Overall, a pleasant offering, although a slight fizziness to the mouthfeel left me feeling somewhat disconcerted.

10-21-2004 03:26:35 | More by Truh
SamAdams

Kentucky

It is a nice dark red beer in color, I didn't have much of a head on mine because I poured it slow to keep out the sediment. It is bottle condition. There is somewhat of a nutty oak pine smell to this one and when you take a drink it just explodes with flavor. A little plum, raisin, sweet carmel malty taste with slight cherry at the end and somewhat sour.The odd thing is that there is no fruit added to this beer, you wouldn't think that by tasting it. This is a different style that I ever had. I liked it alot. Don't think I could drink to many at once, but one every now and then would be just fine.

06-05-2004 16:09:47 | More by SamAdams
Mestreechs Aajt (Dutch - Saccharin Version) from Gulpener Bierbrouwerij B.V.