Gulpener Korenwolf - Gulpener Bierbrouwerij B.V.

Gulpener KorenwolfGulpener Korenwolf

Gulpener Bierbrouwerij B.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-13-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

I purchased a bottle of Korenwolf in SuperValu, O'Connell bridge, Dublin. It was a 500 ml blue glass bottle (very nice!) and I poured into my Korenwolf pint glass. The glass bears the legend "naturally cloudy luxury wheat beer".

The appearence was a murky pale yellow brew with an orange tinge and an excellent white head.

The smell was refreshing citrus edge to a 'pilsner' type hops aroma.

The taste was excellent; clean fresh refreshing brew with citrus and some spiciness. Elferflowers are used in the brewing of this beer.

Overall an excellent wheat beer; one of the nicest I have ever had. Well worth the €2.79 it cost me. (633 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Never seen this on store shelves over here, but I bought a couple online to fill up a box. I'd just been reading Michael Jackson talking it up and it was going cheap, so not much to lose.

It has a hamster on the label. I'm not going to try to tell you how to feel about that. I had to fight my girlfriend for it - she likes witbier but I suspect the cute label was as big a part of the appeal. Anyways, she'd left it sitting there for a while and it was approaching it's use by date so I had it for breakfast this morning with a grilled cheese sandwich. Delicious.

Pours a hazy white with a pinkish-orange tinge, like nectarine skin or something. I'm refreshed just looking at it. Finger or so of head which is gone in the time it takes me to walk over and throw the bottle in the bin.

Big aromas of flowers, soap, wheat flour and fruit.

Slight sourness up front, and that soapy/floury quality you get with all wits, then big time fruitiness - pear, banana, peach, citrus peel; a little alcohol and spice (coriander, vanilla) rounds it out. Apparently elderflowers are used in the brewing - I've never had elderflower cordial or whatever, so I'm not sure what these are supposed to taste like, but there's a definite floral character throughout. Complex and lovely. Medium-full mouthfeel, not too carbonated.

Massively drinkable. The only thing that hurts it in this regard is the slightly higher than usual ABV. I could live on this in Summer and would, if it were more widely available. Hard to imagine any wit being much better than this. (1,551 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Look: the beer pours a nice yellow-orange color with a fluffy head.
Smell: Eathy, wheat, very fruity (citrus, orange peel), yeast.
Taste: Taste follows the nose. Malts and wheat, yeast, orange zest and coriander.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation.
Overall: Nice brew, one of my favorites of the style (311 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +9.3%

The beer pours a “Chill Hazed”, lemon yellow with a modest creamy white head and the residual lace a filmy sheet to conceal the glass. Ah, the nose, lemons, fresh cut grass, yeast, sweet malted grains a plethora of olfactory delights. Start is sweet then turns quickly tart at the middling top. Finish is almost ferine in its acidity, the pleasant and spicy, quite dry and a very drinkable beer, not a great wit, but quite drinkable nonetheless. (447 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

Personally I feel this is one of the best witbiers around. Not only is the cute gerbil (or whatever) on the label a nice touch, the flavor is great as well. As the label says, a "waere witte" or true white. What I love most about this witbier is that the aftertaste lingers very long and makes drinking it a feast. The taste itself is pure, with a stronger than usual spicyness that just happens to appeal to my taste. Now I must confess that the Gulpener Brouwerij to me is one of the more sympathetic breweries here in the Lowlands (but then again, Limburg isn't exactly low anymore...). Purchased locally in a sixpack at an Amsterdam supermarket. And now I'll have another one! (680 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Last day in Cadzand
Opens with a lovely hiss, poured into my Hoegaarden glass, a murky orange-yellow hay toned brew fills the glass. Elegant appropriate Witbier head-thick, rocky, dissapating into a nice cap. Beautiful Wit.
Smells of lemon, orange, lemonhead candy, coriander seed, white pepper, citrus zest hay, musty grain, a hint of vanilla, wildflower. I didnt know anything about this beer before purchasing, but may have stumbled on a beauty. Sour honey and a punch of yeastiness round out the balanced finish.
Flavor actually lives up to the expectations of the complex nose. Pepper, honey lemon, orange, clove, grains, wheat, wildflower, sour bread, finishing prickiling with spice and a yeasty prick.
The body is creamy-thick, and the finish is spicy and long-lasting. A great balance of citrus, spice, and wheaty creaminess. All things I critique my Witbeers by. This has met and exceeded all expectations.
The only other Wit I can remember being this suprised about was White Rascal from Avery, and I always use it as a reference.
Great surprise! (1,057 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

A murky, yellow, orange beer with a creamy head that settles to a 5 mm head.

Smell is full of vanilla and flowery notes. Phenols and banana with pleasant sweet-ish notes. The wheat is grainy and smells like cereal.

Taste is wonderfull spicy with smooth vanilla, banana and flowery notes, like chrysanteneum flowers. It is unclear where the yeast ends and the spices and grain bill starts with regards to the spiciness. A beautiful mixture of exotic spices, flowers, vanilla and fruit. Of course there is very little hop present. Mouthfeel is very smooth and drinkability is great! One of the best witbiers around! (616 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

Hazy straw "white-ish" color with a low white head. Fruity earthy aroma with a light spiciness to it. Has a big fruity taste with alight spicy finish. Light bodied and very refreshing. A great more-than-one beer ! Wish the bottle was bigger...

[10.2 oz bottle - labelled Waere Witte - 6.5% ABV per bottle] (313 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Gulpener Korenwolf from Gulpener Bierbrouwerij B.V.