Buzzards Bay Oktoberfest - Buzzards Bay Brewing

Buzzards Bay Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2005)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Reviews by plaztikjezuz:
plaztikjezuz

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

a big thank you to the TheManiacalOne for this sample, he is an A+ trader.

pours a deep coppery color with a perfect white head that stayed for most of the consumption.
the aroma is malty and bready with an undertone of a herbal spiciness.
the flavor is malty with an up front hop flavor with some herbal and spicy flavors, the beer is clean with a herbal aftertaste.
nice oktoberfest, wish it was distributed to michigan.

12-04-2007 05:37:26 | More by plaztikjezuz
TheManiacalOne

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from a 64oz. growler which was filled and purchased on 10/13/07, consumed & reviewed on 10/15/07, into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a bright reddish orange color with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is bready and contains caramel, spice, malts and a good amount of hops.

T: The taste is bready and malty with a nice complimentary burst of hops bitterness and some sweet flavors of spices and caramel. It’s very nicely balanced with none of the flavors jumping at you too heavily. The after-taste is bready and slightly hoppy with a little bit of sweetness.

M: Very smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is quite clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not very filling for the style, nice kick, excellent representation of style, this is a nice beer to drink for a long while. It’s one of the best O-fests that I’ve had.

10-16-2007 02:14:24 | More by TheManiacalOne
auxiliary

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

appearance - Nice copper color with a thick head and some lace.

smell - Grainy, spices and hop smell.

taste - Has a spicey hop tate to it. Doesn't taste like other octoberfest beer..

mouthfeel - Medium body, and some carbonation.

drinkability - Compared to other OCtoberfest beers it could be better. For an overall beer off of that category it is pretty good beer.

09-10-2007 17:18:23 | More by auxiliary
shaebs99

Poured a clear copper with good retention and lacing
Fresh grain and malt in the aroma
Medium bodied with good crisp carbonation.
Taste is of caramel malts with some light floral hop flavor
Solid oktoberfest from Buzzards Bay. Picked up a 6-pack while in Boston. If available near me I might make it my go to Oktoberfest. Since it isn't available around here I will be looking towards Brooklyn to fill the gap.

09-04-2007 02:43:46 | More by shaebs99
bigone4

3.8/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a bottle I had sitting in the back of my fridge. There is no freshness date on the bottle but I figured it would still be fine at 6.3%. My buddy had given me a half case back when they released last years batch. I realized I never wrote a review. Well it pours a clean, clear orange brown color with a nice creamy tan head. Smell is of malt and caramel tones some slight citrus alcohol touch in the back ground. Strong malt flavor right up from mellowing into the smooth bread like taste. Hints of caramel and subtle roasted tones are also present. It is certainly a nice change of pace from all the lighter summertime brews that are out now. I enjoy a nice strong malt tasting Marzen and this one is pretty tasty. Aged a bit in the fridge, it has a nice smooth mouth feel some bitterness detected in the after taste. This is a drinkable and enjoyable brew. Easy to drink and true to style. I will look forward to this year’s batch. I hope it is already lagering!

06-28-2007 23:32:04 | More by bigone4
atozymurgy

Maine

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Appears crystal clear with color a tawny amber, slightly reddish. A nice, full head fades quickly to a ring, with no lacing. The nose is malty, with some toasted notes and hints of caramel. There is light noble hop aroma, too, but this is definitely malt-balanced. The flavor is malty, as well. There's a touch of roasted malt bitterness (from a little bit of chocolate malt, perhaps?) - this doesn't always fit in in an Oktoberfest, but it works well here, giving a bit of added complexity to an otherwise simple beer. There's plenty of hop bitterness too, which makes this beer well balanced, though the malt predominates. Just a little noble hop flavor, especially in the finish, very welcome here. There's just a tinge of astringency in the finish, but it doesn't detract much. The body is full but light due to high carbonation, very round and refreshing. One of the better American Oktoberfests I've tried.

Picked this up the first day this year's O-fest was offered at the brewery (Sat. 9/2).

09-10-2006 12:04:21 | More by atozymurgy
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

12 oz brown bottle, capped. Cool bottle which states this is a limited release beer. Pours out an orange-brown color with a good size head. The smell is sharp and crisp. Solid malt backbone stands out.

Taste is bigger than I expected. A lot of Oktoberfest beers seem to light, but not this one. Solid malt and raisin flavors come through. Nice bitterness in the end gives it some depth as well as character. The balance in flavors is what make this beer really stand out. I have to say that I am really impressed. Thank you Brian for this great beer.

05-18-2006 21:55:15 | More by CharlesRiver
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a three-fingered cream head that fades quickly leaving a little lace. Nice clear amber color. Weak hoppy nose. Very light carbonation and medium bodied. Starts semi-sweet with hops in the background, finish is slightly hoppy but not much of an aftertaste. $1.55 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

02-02-2006 00:05:08 | More by jdhilt
UnionMade

Colorado

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle provided as part of my birthday pack from my buddy Mike. Thanks, bro!
Very reddish in color, less of the burnt orange you expect from a marzen. Full cap of head, ivory in color, settling down into a tight mist. Perfectly clear. Clean aroma, grainy, caramel sweet and light on the hops. Just a faint sprinkle of floral aroma. A bit of a soapy, mineral-like water quality. The flaovr is a bit milder than i'd expected, though still blooming with munich malt caramel. Grainy and very clean, easing seamlessly into a mildy floral, slightly grassy noble hop finish without much in the way of bitterness. An underlying minerally taste throughout. Drish finish, leaving off with a grainy caramel aftertaste. Medium bodied, a bit lighter than you normally expect of the style, but it's fine with me. Spritzy carbonation. Nice stuff!
My first bottled product from Buzzards Bay in ages, and my first beer from their new line up. Pretty solid stuff. Packaging looks a lot slicker, with a dramatic black and silver label on this one, screaming the word "limited" in a blocky, bold impact font. Buzzard's Bay seem to be reinventing themselves, and it's working for me so far.

11-26-2005 01:07:05 | More by UnionMade
Hibernator

Buzzards Bay Oktoberfest [Limited]
12 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

This is my first time seeing the new Buzzard's Bay label and design. Much more appealing to the eye. The quality of this beer is better than I remember other Buzzard's Bay offerings that I have had in the past.

Pours an amber brown color. A nice shade of autumn colors. Decent head that becomes a thin white lace. Trails of lacings cling to the glass.

Malty sweet nose.

Bready and thick mouthfeel. Caramel malts. Sweet tasting with Welch's grape juice and apple sauce flavors. Nice drinkability level.

Good job on this German seasonal style.

11-16-2005 21:53:04 | More by Hibernator
tastybeer

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

Nice sparkling clear amber color. Very drinkable, which is something I remember from pretty much all beers I had at Octoberfest. I don't care for the aroma of this one. It seems corn like almost. Not sure, but whatever the overwhelming smell is, it takes over all of the smell. Its very fragrant but in one direction to me. Taste is much better, but still holds a bit of whatever it is in the smell I don't like. Taste is smooth though, and sweetly malty. Mouthfeel is pretty good and if you try not to smell, a very very drinkable beer.

Never had this style in bottles before. Style was good on tap in Germany though. I'm not too sure I like this version of Oktoberfest.

10-24-2005 05:05:37 | More by tastybeer
Knuckles

Washington

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

So BeerPanther sends me this beermail, all effusive and shit about the Buzzard's Bay Oktoberfest and promises to send me one. A week or so later, a box containing said Oktoberfest (and several other treats) shows up on my doorstep with a knuckle-shattering knock on the door from the U(ber)PS guy. I've had it in my fridge ever since, waiting for a good time to crack it open. Since the Astros were playing in Bud Stadium (and winning), I figured that was as good a time as any.

I'm of the mind that thinks that Märzens shouldn't be particularly earth-shattering. These are really designed to be highly sessionable lagers of moderate nose (almost no yeast presence at all, just a hint of sweet and grain), a medium malt body and a fairly clean finish (I like a lingering malt presence, but no yeast at all). This beer meets almost all of those criteria, and challenges them as well.

Appearance: Easily the most beautiful Oktoberfest I've had this year. Just a gorgeous, deep, copper colored beer. Pours with a nice ivory head, but one that doesn't linger too long.

Smell: One area this beer falls short. It's great, because I don't smell the yeast at all. Oddly, though, I don't smell the malts or the grains either. It is almost completely bereft of any noticable smell until it warms up considerably. At that point, I get a faint hint of malt and grain. No hoppiness at all.

Taste: What the fuck? Cinnamon? You have to be kidding me. This thing is fantastic in the front. Sweet malt, cinnamon, some brown sugar...it's pretty goddam impressive. I don't know what yeast they used to throw off these flavors, but it's damn surprising. And then the finish of this beer completely throws me off: it is almost completely clean. The only hint of the beer you once held in your mouth is a hint of malty sweetness on the sides of your tongue.

Mouthfeel: Just a little thin for the complex flavor profile that this beer throws. I'd like it to have a bit more malt body, but it's still a damn nice beer.

Drinkability: Well, I was pretty goddam disappointed that I only had the one bottle (damn you BeerPanther!).

I've only had one Buzzard's Bay beer prior to this (the pale ale), and it was nothing that would have convinced me to try this if I'd found it in a store. According to BeerPanther, they've retooled their brewing philosophy to become more aggressive with their beers. This is a fine start. They ought to be kissing the feet of retailers like BeerPanther who recognize excellence when they drink it, and go out of their way to recommend those beers to their customers.

10-20-2005 17:35:32 | More by Knuckles
wedge

3.3/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours clean reddish copper with a small head. Smells like a lager - malted grain and spicy hops. Taste is very malt-heavy - rich, sharp, bitter, lightly sweet - deceptively complex. Full bodied but the flavors made it sometimes hard to swallow. Not very drinkable for me.

I definately did not like this beer at first - it seemed harsh and basic. However, the more I drank, the more complexity I detected. I feel left out for not liking this much - I'll have to give it another shot. I think it caught me off guard. An interesting lager for sure...but its not for me.

10-18-2005 01:07:42 | More by wedge
talkingpoints

Connecticut

3.05/5  rDev -20.6%

This beer has the most awesome packaging I've ever seen with the silver foil Buzzard on the 12pk. This offering looks great when poured and has one of the most unique Octoberfest beer taste I've ever sampled. At first, I didn't think I was going to like it at all, I thought this beer must be overhopped bit wasn't at all, it was more bitter than anything else but strangely this was a drinkable beer.
I am going to have to down a couple more for a full review.

10-07-2005 16:32:16 | More by talkingpoints
ybnorml

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A clean dark orange/amber beer. Has a small short lived off white head. Sweet malty aroma with some spicey hops in the background and a hint of corn. I feel this is a very well balanced brew the sweet malty character never overwhelms the bitterness of the hops. But niether does the hop s dominate the malt. A very pleasing beer.

10-03-2005 20:54:35 | More by ybnorml
Todd

Colorado

12oz brown bottle. Bright, clear, copper hued beer topped with a thick foaming head that settles to an eggshell colored lace with a bit of stick and good retention.

Metallic grain in the nose, faint sulfur and yeast, spicy hop notes and a fresh grain aroma. Cinnamon.

Medium bodied, malty backbone, slightly chewy. Crisp carbonation. Flash of citric hop bitterness upfront, that seems to carry through to the finish, faintly, and melds well with a grape-y character that has a semi-tart edge. Spicy hop profile with suggestions of cinnamon, that's perhaps a bit too dominant. Leafy hops. Underneath some sweet caramel for balance. Notes of wood, fresh herbs and roots. Some egg-y notes too. A bit astringent towards the finish, drying with lingering herb flavors.

A unique stab at the Oktoberfestbier style - what’s with the cinnamon? I liked it. Good across the board for me.

10-01-2005 03:55:40 | More by Todd