Cranberry Lam-B-Q - Buzzards Bay Brewing

Cranberry Lam-B-QCranberry Lam-B-Q

Buzzards Bay Brewing visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: portia99 on 12-20-2009)
2.45/5  rDev -36.2%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Courtesy of portia99 -- thanks, Bill. I held onto this way too long in an attempt to find the right tasting for it. But hey, sours last forever, right? ;)

A: The bottle opens with a serious pop, then proceeds to overflow slowly and persistently for 30 minutes, even after we've taken pours. The beer is a mahogany body with a pink-hued cap. The head, obviously, retains for a long time.

S: Cranberry (flesh and skin), oak, hay / funk, and a moderate tart note.

T: This has a touch of roasted grain, oak, and cranberry. Nice flavors; but there is also a substantial butter component that I find off-putting. It is more tart than sour.

M: Owing to the persistent head, the mouthfeel is extremely foamy. It is dry in the finish.

O: This was pleasant to try, but I don't think I'll go for it again.

Arbitrator, Mar 05, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

750ml corked and caged bottle. Be careful opening this bottle because it's a gusher. Pours the color and clarity of cider with a rocky, dense, cream-colored head. Nose expresses a tart cranberry character as well as a trace of cork. Taste reveals citrus, tartness and a cranberry quality that is much more present than suggested by the nose; however, flavors are not overly bold and there is a slightly salty quality in the mix. Mouthfeel is light-medium in consistency, with a very lively carbonation level. All and all a very drinkable sour that could probably stand a little more aging. While the beer is definitely tart, the tartness isn't necessarily imparted by the cranberry. The carbonation is a little too aggressive for my sensibilities; however, this might dissipate with additional age.

Jwale73, Dec 02, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

2009 Bottle. Enjoyed on Thanksgiving (just like last year!)

Pours (or should I say gushes; the bottle is slowly bubbling EVERYWHERE) very dark reddish/maroon color. huge, thick, creamy head that settles to a big lacing around the glass. Delicious scents-- smells of cranberry and a little bit of sweet caramel maltiness in the background. Tastes nice-- tart and a bit bitter up front, just like cranberries (i love cranberries, so i loved that touch), with flavors of belgian yeast and hints of various malts. Amazing.

Well crafted brew, though hard to find.

tzieser, Nov 29, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to Bill for sending a couple of these to me. Shared with some BA BAs this weekend.

A: Popped the cork on this one and it filled a couple glasses with foam while continuing to foam up while sitting on the table. The pour is a dark mahogany color with a big tannish head.

S: The nose is highly tannic with plenty of cranberries and oak. There is a slight sweetness, candi sugar and some darker malts, to this one along with a nice lactic bite.

T: A definite cola-like character to this one. Mildly sweet with sour cherries, cranberries, and perhaps a bit of miscellaneous dark fruit. Lots of tannins and wood, some mild vanilla note from the barrel.

M: The body is fairly full for a sour ale, with a very high level of carbonation, as exhibited by the gushing.

D: Not quite as good as some of the other "dark sours" out there, but still really nice. Cranberries really do give beers a very tannic and dry feel, which is definitely a polarizing characteristic.

womencantsail, Aug 04, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Received this bottle in a trade with my BA art buddy, Nonstick. Was excited to give this one a try as it sounded quite interested, and I really liked the goofy label as well.

Appearance- I should start this with a disclaimer that I got a very serious gusher of a bottle and the appearance suffered some as a result. As soon as I popped the cork out of the 750ml bottle, I had slightly tan head gushing out of the bottle. I had it properly stored in an actual cellar at cellar temperatures too and only lightly chilled, so I don't think this one was my fault. It took about ten minutes for it to settle and I still had to decant some foam out of the bottle. When it was all said and done, I had probably lost about a third of the bottle but ended up with a slightly murky medium brown beer with about two fingers of foamy, off white head sitting on top. Head naturally had good retention and stuck around for most of the glass before dying back to a thin sheet across the top. Some mild lacing as well.

Smell- A lot of intriguing combination going on here. Up front, I get a fair amount of wood smells coming off of this one, along with sweeter smelling malts and dark fruits. Thrown into that mix is a dose of sour fruit as well, smelling of the order of cranberries and sour cherries. Finishes with a whiff of lactic tartness and mild funk.

Taste- More interesting combinations. Again, I get prominent barrel mixed with sweeter malts and some dark candied fruits. Perhaps even a slight bit of breadiness. However, this is in combination with the sour fruits, primarily cranberry and cherry again, mentioned in the nose. However, I don't find them to be as strong in the flavor profile as in the nose and the lactic bite and funk on the finish here are not as strong either. To me, this almost tastes like a dubbel that has been inoculated with wild yeast and fruit. Interesting.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- I have to say that apart from the huge gusher of a bottle, the only other real disappointment was the mouthfeel. Despite the level of carbonation, the beer didn't seem to have much body to it and really came across as watery even for the style. Drinkability came down a little bit as a result but overall, what beer I got from the bottle went down pretty easily.

Overall, like I said, the two disappointments here were the mouthfeel and the huge overcarbonation. Apart from that, I found it to be quite an interesting beer.

boatshoes, May 25, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Pours a deep mahogany color with a lot of pinkish colored head. (Maybe I poured it wrong, but the bottle just kept producing bubbles.) The head is very foamy and stays around for quite a while.

S: Faintly smells of oak and cranberries.There's a bit of yeasty funk as well. There's definitely a musty scent as well, overall the scent is very funky.

T: Just like the smell. Faint oak and sour cherries are the most up front with the yeasty funk following. As a previous reviewer mentioned, the head is still creeping up in the bottle at this point.

M: Fairly medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. I feel as though the carbonation is a little overpowering for this type of beer.

D: Rather drinkable, I'll definitely be finishing the bottle, though after that, I would probably not have another right away. Though at that point who knows, maybe I'll want more!

Overall quite good and the first I've had from Just Beer. Definitely interested in trying their other stuff now.

Daktyls, Apr 30, 2010

I'm excited about this one. I really enjoyed Gosnold's Hope, and I'm planning to make my own cranberry sour this year. Plus my family owns cranberry bogs, so I hop this goes nicely.

A: The cork pops with a very loud pop, and the head rises up in the neck to slowly overflow. I catch it in my chalice and it forms a nice darker colored head rises up like a nice Belgian beer, all fluffy and foamy like. The head in the bottle keeps rising so I have to keep pouring to stay ahead of it. Luckily I have another glass handy from my last beer. Its a super dark brown raisin, hazy, muddy colored with gunk and chunks of yeast in it.

N: Lots of funk. Very strong funky yeast aroma, with lots of Brett like aromas. Very musty, with lots of that strong yeasty funk. I can't stress enough the wild super musty aromas, funk, yeast, so much so that my nostrils almost retort in sour funk. With that are hints of fruit in the background, like sour cherries, and hints of cranberries. - Again I have to stop to pour the bottle as it has crept up to the top again.

T: Just as expected, lots of bready malts and yeast funk. Some sour fruit flavors, some cherry, a very slight cranberry, but more of the tartness from the cranberry. Lots acidity as well. Sharp and slightly stingy from the acid. Very dry and bready with a strong Brett like wild yeast flavors. Again more musty funk. Behind all that is very slight hints of a little oak and vanilla. I think it could use a little more of that to tone it down a bit. More tangy sour fruit flavors. I would have liked more cranberry flavor, but as I learned on my last cranberry beer, it's very hard to get the flavor from it, and very easy to get a ton of tartness and acidity.

M: Medium body, perhaps a little lighter than expected, with tons of carbonation. Also some light acidity sting.

F: Very dry. As it dries my mouth is bombarded with the crazy sourness and tartness that just makes my tongue sink in horror and deliciousness at what it's experiencing. My mouth also suddenly feels like I just awoke from a hangover with super dryness and that weird dank taste of non tooth brushed funk that has been musting in my mouth overnight. Hints of lingering sour fruit, added with quite a bit of the bready malt taste and lots of more yeasty funk. It never seems to go. However, becoming as big a fan of wilds, sours, and lambics as I am, this is a hell of an experience. Maybe a little too heavy on the funk, acid, and tartness, but I'm enjoying it. Also, being so heavily funked, and in 750ml, and with how crazy the head rises up at first, this is definitely a sharing beer, not for the single person to try at night like I am now.

jlindros, Mar 27, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Forceful cork pop,carbonation seemed proper. Nice deep red color with a decent pink lasting head.

Aroma was lightly fruit and oak.

Taste was not what I expected, there was a nice sour component, but no real cranberry presence. The oak was probably the most up front of the flavors with the tart following. I wanted to like this beer more than I did.

All in all this beer was very drinkable, just not very remarkable.

youbrewidrink, Mar 15, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Corked & caged 750ml bottle purchased at the brewery. Label says only 227 bottles produced. Poured into a gold rimmed Buzzards Bay fluted glass.

A - Bottle opens with a huge pop and a little cloud of CO2 wisps out of the bottle. Pours an opaque, yeasty, dark brown, almost black in color with four fingers of foam. Foam is a mixture of large and small bubbles and has excellent staying power and shape retention. It fades, but never really dies...I'm left with a small mountain of foam sitting in the middle of the glass. Lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. Not used to lambics being so black in color, but seems to work here.

S - Very tart and sour in aroma...tons of cranberry. Almost smells like a glass of cranberry juice. As the head dies down, I get a good amount of funk in the nose. Definitely some brett used in here. A bit of phenolic creeps in too...seems to blend with brett. Overall a very good smelling beer.

T - Taste follows the aroma quite a bit. For being so young (released 2 days ago), there is quite a bit of brett character here. The base beer definitely has roasted malts (as if the color didn't suggest this already), but some dark roasted and burnt malt flavors are a strong flavor component in this. Also a lot of oaky wood flavor in here and some phenolics as well. I think the oak, dark roasted malt seem to enhance the brett character. There is also a good sour component, although not as strong as I expected and a little less than is desirable, for me anyway. Cranberry flavors are minor but are detectable in its tartness, a touch of sweetness and fruitiness. Very good overall.

M - Mouthfeel is overall on the thin side, but has more body than most lambics I've had...usually tend to be more watery in consistency. This has a touch more body. Carbonation is high as would be expected. Tart but not to a very high degree...only a very slight puckering sensation.

D - This is really quite a drinkable sour beer. Goes down very smoothly. Lots of complexity...think this would go well with a good cheese plate. Overall very enjoyable. A slightly different take on the lambic style, but one that I think works pretty well.

portia99, Dec 20, 2009
Cranberry Lam-B-Q from Buzzards Bay Brewing
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.