Tennent's Super Strong Lager - Tennent Caledonian Breweries

Ratings: 60 | Reviews: 33
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.46/5  rDev +39%

Ahhh, the much maligned Tennent's Super...

Purchased a 440ml can in Glasgow when i was back last month but just plucked up the courage to drink it for the first time in a good 10 years.

Poured into a dimpled stein. Golden/ ginger coloration, surprisingly thick creamy luscious head and decent lacing. smells nice and sweet, like a tripel karmeliet, but not really.

light/ medium bodied, nice velvety mouth feel and good carbonation but then comes the alcoholic burn. Can't say i noticed any hop character.

pretty easy drinking for a 9%er, although it was my first of the day.

Overall won't be seeking it out but it's no that bad. Don't be hatin' on the Soupy.

Looks OK i s'pose, decent creamy head with a fair bit of lace happening. Colour was a very dull gold, quite pale. Supersweet, with heaps of alcohol showing, stewed fruit, boiled veggies, and just too much alcohol and metal in there. Quite sticky aswell, and a thin, harsh mouthfeel.

1.64/5  rDev -34.1%

Can only agree with most of the over comments in Beer Fly, this - yet another awful brewed in UK pretend lager - may look good from the can and high alcohol content and seem to promise much. What a let down! Has what I can only describe as a very processed artificial flavour, a strange sweetness that is awful and just simply weird. Yet, how strange that the same brewers Tennent's Extra lager that used to be available in bars across UK on nitro-keg was one of the best UK brewer 'lagers' available. But this one is just purely bad, dread to think what it would taste like on tap! How strange that a brewer would want to 'impress' us by brewing a strong lager - which has been available for many years, only to produce something so awful. Stop it now and work on something better!

John W
Bham UK Jan 2006

1.03/5  rDev -58.6%

I have honestly never tried a beer that I thought that awful. Mostly just bland and flavourless but this is truly vile.

It looks awful - little head that dissapated quickly - , the smell is harshly alcohol, the taste is even worse, and the mouthfeel is very thin and watery. This is a beer which you should cross the street to avoid.

The only reason it seems to have been brewed is that it is 9% abv. Popular with the neds when they want a change from Bucky.

3.99/5  rDev +60.2%

I'm the proud Glaswegian standing up for the official tipple of my noble and ancient city. I'd say it's important to remember the desired market of the Wellpark brewery when distributing this particular beverage.

They aren't looking to sell to student-y, vaguely financially solvent 'champagne charlies' with reasonable personal hygenie like me, rather hopeless, desperate alcoholics whose sole opiate in life after waking each day is to reach the abyss of borderline alcohol poisoning as soon as humanly possible.

Indeed, when I first purchased Tennent's Super two years ago, soon after my 18th birthday, I had no knowledge of what dual horror and joy awaited me. Strolling up to the cashier with three four-packs for the lads and me, my ID was thoroughly perused and I was then very kindly offered 'Fancy a park bench with that?'. Combined with a few bottles of Buckfast, suffice it to say that the next day I arose from the sheets only to drink water and vomit copiously (more the latter), until about 1930 when I finished the last two cans.

Appearance:
Well... it's orange.

It's so fizzy it looks like there's some kind of whirlpool in your glass. This sets the tone for what's pretty much a standard lager on a tonne of steroids.

Aroma:
'Stench' is probably better. It smells like the east end of Glasgow, that is stale lager mixed with badly-cooked chips smothered in vinegar.

Taste, mouthfeel:
Like nothing else. A highly-concentrated version of standard Tennent's: syrupy sweet (that's how they get it so strong), endlessly lingering, strongly alcoholic. The key to Wellpark's success with this one is that the aftertaste is so utterly rank that you need to take another sip to nullify it... thus it begins...

If your average pint of Tenny's is a peck on the cheek, this fizzbitch is a true 'Glasgow kiss'.

Drinkability:
Recommended only for borderline alcoholics from west central Scotland. Like me. I warned you...

2.14/5  rDev -14.1%

*sold in a 500 ml can
*Place beer was reviewed: Op mijn kot, Lange Ridderstraat 19/3 B-2800 Mechelen
*Brewed and distributed by Interbrew (InBev).

This is the first time I have ever drunk this beer. I had seen it on the television series 'Taggert'. And when I saw it on sale in my local supermarket, I had to give it a go. When I looked at the can I immediately saw why it was on sale here. Another brewery taken over by Interbrew (now InBev).

When I poured it out, it looked like a John Martin's Pale Ale but not creamy and without a strong development of the head. When I smelled it, it had a strange non-beer like smell. I could not compare it with an other beer.
The taste was also something I had never tasted before. It was quite watery actually and there wasn't a real aftertaste either. Except maybe that dry sensation, like I had just ate a spoon of salt. All very odd. The first thing you notice when you are drinking is the gas in the beer tickling your tongue. Normally a good sign, telling you there is more to come. But the storm was already over before it had begun. I am a bit surprised this beer had an alcohol percentage of nine. I guess it's a good beer when I want to get pissed quicker then drinking normal lager.

Ut vivat, crescat, floreat!

2.3/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a hotel water glass. Bermusian liquor store acquisition.

Pours darker golden brown, head of white foam. Active bubbles. Beer smell, notes of straw and glass. That was the best I would feel about this beer.

Acrid bitter lager taste. Not clean, dirty and damaging. Boozy and bitter. Offputting.

Very difficult to drink. A real downer. Drain pour.

2.25/5  rDev -9.6%

330ml bottle from local bar in Calabria, Italy. Pours a golden copper with a medium slowly dissipating white head. Aroma of toasted double malted malts, barley, grains with some strong tones of fruity alcohol esters. Palate is a medium to full body, slightly astringent dry mouth feel with moderate carbonation. Finish is a combination of toasted malt, grains ending with a good amount of boozy alcohol fruity notes. Overall a bit boozy and sweet, an interesting brew to try once

2.32/5  rDev -6.8%

Draught in some random bar, Rome, December 2013.

Needed a 9% ABV blast after drink sour craft beers all afternoon elsewhere in Rome: this did the trick.

This is just a hangover in waiting really: however I'll be fair with my scores and words.

Looked good, clear, bright and clean: a true golden brew with a full if thin white head.

Grainy nose and taste, the alcohol barely hidden within the weak flavour.

This is the sort of beer that gives Scotland and Tennent's a bad name.

2.88/5  rDev +15.7%

Light and easy to drink lager, but it's 9%! I would drink it again.

2.85/5  rDev +14.5%

A-Pours with a fizz, and a whiff of corn. Pale straw yellow with a thin white head and lots of bubbles.

S-Corn, cheap, sweet adjunct type stuff. Not appetizing.

T/M-Typical malt liquor. This is made for the express purpose of getting you drunk. However, I will give it points for not being cloyingly sweet.

D-If you have 2 pounds and want to get drunk, you could do worse. You could also do a lot better.

2.98/5  rDev +19.7%

330ml bottle

A- Somewhere in the middle between golden and amber. Nice and decently dense two finger head that has nice retention, though it leaves no lacing at all. Strong carbonation is visible

S- A strong alcoholic feel, with not much besides. Just some nice undernotes of bready malts and fruit (apple, orange)

T- Strong grainy malts with a slightly metallic feel and maybe some hints of caramel. Some plain alcoholic notes can be easily felt, though they never really get too annoying. Slighlty fruity (mainly apple) on the palate. Finishes with a hint of bitterness

M- Quite dense body and carbonation. Nothing really interesting, but the full mouthfeel fits nicely with the beer's strong feel

O- This is no more than a classic, uninteresting industrial lager that has been on steroids. That alcoholic feel does not help drinkability. Overall this is still a fairly decent beer, mostly due to it's strong body and feel

2.45/5  rDev -1.6%

This is about the crappiest beer I've had come out of the UK. I sampled this in Naples, IT. It actually still was a lot better than the Heineken I'd been subjected to on my cruise.

Produces two finger thick head, great lacing with a golden clear body.

Arid dryness in the aroma, skunky and slightly metallic.

Rich grainy taste, with hints of corn and bran like flavor.

Heavily carbonated and kind of syrupy... Maybe a little oily.

Seems like a novelty beer, and just meant to get you schnockered... Very mediocre.

2.73/5  rDev +9.6%

Picked up from an off-license (UK version of a bodega) in Finsbury Park, London for £1.20.

Poured from a 500ml tall can into my Code Beer glass (like a mason jar with a handle...classy). Looks a dark yellow, nearly amber. Pours with a LOT of head that doesn't go away..

Tennent's Super is meant for one thing: getting you pissed. After a few of these, you will be. It goes down a lot better than the 40oz. of Old English, and dare i say better than Bud. It's got more body behind it, a noticeable bit of hops, strong grain notes. Has presence in your mouth, not unlike a real amber ale. Certainly not bad for its price and purpose.

Pairs well with a 2am kebabs, night buses, and that waffle stand outside Finsbury Park Tube station. This is not a fine, handcrafted ale, but it doesn't pretend to be. Unpretentious and certainly tolerable.

1.06/5  rDev -57.4%

The liquid appears of a poor, pale gold, no resistive foam.
It gives you a hard beat followed by a slightly bitter farewell, lasting really too less.
Better image I can offer is "hard-discount can beer been kept under the sun and quite a time been opened before" .
Poor drinkability, it has nothing "super" even if the 9% alcohol is for real, you taste it all.
In my opinion even the water used was not sufficient.
High carbonation even if it feels like some chemical reaction is taking place on your mouth.
Avoid,I'll try again, could be a defective bottle.

1.86/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yikes. This is the strongest lager I have ever had, and it's by far the nastiest. One whiff of it and I knew what I was in for. I have never seen a lager at 9%, and it tasted like 9%. It was disgusting. If you ever find this crap, stay away. Stay far far away.

3.08/5  rDev +23.7%

This strong lager came from a small bottle, and honestly wasn't very impressive. It has a slightly dark straw color that almost borders on gold. The head is very slight, and quickly falls, but was initially white and rocky. A sweet aroma with a lot of grass, corn, and grain is the first thing that you smell. The aroma has a bit of barley malt as well, but it's definitely hidden in the back. There's also a notable alcohol aroma. The beer is actually quite sweet, and with relatively low carbonation, this gets tiresome. It's a little too much, without much malt or hops to provide flavor. Vegetable and corn come through most predominantly in the flavor. Not much of a bitter finish, which is a bit too sweet. The alcohol is present and warming, but it's not as harsh as a lot of other strong lagers that I've recently had. They did a better job folding it into the overall flavor than others. On the other hand, it is still just a souped-up version of an ordinary euro-lager.

2.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Picked it up in Naples because I thought it was recommended and what's not to like about a strong beer. Average look and smell, not much different that nay other macre euro lager maybe a a bit less skunkier than a warm heinekin. Taste is apparent of alcohol. Not exactly a pleasant taste but I suppose it is made to smack you down like a Mickey's Big mouth.Mouthfeel is below average, the alcohol doesn't improve the feel. Overall, a low quality beer but at least I won't waste another euro testing it out.

1.5/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

500ml can

Pours with an almost colourless body. Thin and watery head, pathetic looking

Smell, as if someone had spilt a bottle of surgical spirits into an already shitty dull lager

Taste, strong alcohol, nothin much else, bit of rice

Not a good beer, infact an awful beer

3.44/5  rDev +38.2%

Had this on tap in Europe. It WILL kick your ass!

3.13/5  rDev +25.7%

I'm swimming upstream on this one, but I like Tennent's, and found this strong (meaning stronger alcohol content) in Bermuda. The bar was out of Guinness and thought of this strong lager as a good substitute. Well it sure wasn't an adequate replacement for the Guinness' Extra Stout Foreign Export, but it did quench my burger thirst in a big time way.

Yes, it did skunk a bit, but it has a special Tennent's flavor that I find pleasing. The look was dark gold with a big head that left too soon, but did lace a bit. Against the somewhat bitter background came a swell of alcohol that said "sip this one, don't gulp it." So sip I did. Overall, much better than typical American macros, but too potent for a session. My guess is that most American drinkers will rate this higher than our UK brethren since to us it's "better than Bud" and to them it's nothing like their very fine, high quality regional ales.

3.2/5  rDev +28.5%

I would have to agree with you on that quote. Sneaked it into our hotel room, not that they probably cared. This beer has an alcohol level that just slams you in the face at the first aroma. The beer was a yellow color with no lace and was fairly clear. The aroma was the usual corn or whatever that crazy lager smell is. The flavor is just impossible to hold on to because the alcohol just cuts through everything including the finish, creating quite a bite to it. Basically a beer for getting trashed fast.

2.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Picked up a bottle of this during a recent trip to the Caribbean.

It pours clear straw with a crackly head that doesnt muster much lace and dissappears pretty quickly. The aroma is surprisingly malty and lacking in fusel alcohol when cold. The taste is grainy and somewhat sweet. As the beer warms the booze intensifies to the point that it reminds me of vodka with a medicinal heat that really distracts from other flavors/aromas. The mouthfeel is softly carbonated and somewhat numbing from the booziness. The finish is sweetish and again, numbing with booze.

This beer is pretty undrinkable. I dont think drinkability is the goal though, and its not nearly as repellant as a lot of other lagers of this strength.

2.83/5  rDev +13.7%

Tennent's Super Strong Lager may be "Scotland's No. 1 Beer" (as the can claims), but this can was brewed in Maharashtra, India, where the brand enjoys a loyal following. It pours a very pale translucent golden color with a short-lived fizzy white head and lots of carbonation.

The nose is grainy and very sweet. Ethyl alcohol is up front.

The taste is more pleasant than I expected it to be. Bitter alcohol flavors begin to emerge in the middle of the palate, but are quickly masked by barley and rice malts, whose sweetness outstays its welcome. There's not anything special here, but neither is there anything offensive. The sweetness makes the brew quite drinkable. In fact, this strong lager may be too drinkable for its own good. My 500 ml (16 oz.) can disappeared in a matter of minutes.

Overall, Tennent's Super Strong Lager is not a beer I'd recommend to beer drinkers who have access to superior representations of the strong lager/malt liquor styles. But if you find yourself in Delhi with 65 rupees (about $1.25/€1) in your pocket, you might pick up a can. You could certainly do a lot worse here.

2.84/5  rDev +14.1%

The first time I drunk this STRONG lager was because I read "9% vol" on the Pub's menu. And this is still the reason I keep drinking it. I always have it on draught (far batter that in can), and it looks so good in its pint glass, so gold yellow with a 1cm head. Smell is almost obscured by alchool, taste is so sweet and... alchool again. This beer always does what it is supposed to do, at least for me: daze your brain, lose your inhibitons and let your friend or girlfriend drive your car home. I don't know, I love belgian beer, I love very good beers, but I keep drinking this strong lager in the pub, as many people in the same pub does, probably for the same reason. This is not a good beer, meaning a beer with a capitol "B", but once I had two pint and a half-pint and I kissed for the first time the girl who's going to be my wife :-)

to view more.