Hertog Jan Grand Prestige - Arcense Stoombierbouwerij (Hertog Jan Brouwerij)

Hertog Jan Grand PrestigeHertog Jan Grand Prestige

Beer added by: Jason on 12-18-2003

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 86 | Reviews: 33
3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

33cl bottle poured into a la trappe chalice.

Pours a very dark ruby color. Got about a finger head right away then the head goes away quickly. A ring remains throughout the session.

Smell is very sweet, almost sour at first. Get your nose in closer and you can pick up the 10% abv.

Taste isn't overly sweet at first. You get a little bit of the sour that you smell as well as some bitterness. The carbonation seems to be more noticeable in this brew than most dark belgians. The alcohol is a little warm at the end, but not as noticeable as the smell would lead you to believe. I personally like it like this. I always feel a little alcohol in the finish helps with the balance. Also, as this guy warms up, the sweetness (almost syrupy at times as it reaches room temperature) kicks in. Cherries and other berries are very evident....not all that sour, but definitely the smallest bit of a pucker to it. I like that.

Mouthfeel is where it loses points. When I'm drinking a big belgian like this, I like a nice smooth feel on the tongue. This guy has a little too much of a carbonated bite on the tongue for my taste. This keeps is from being a "very good beer" as opposed to a "good beer".

Drinkability though is rather high still,....for it being 10%. It's best to have a 750ml of this guy as it's fun to see it get sweeter and sweeter as it warms up. You don't get that much out of the standard 330ml bottle.

All in all a brew I still really enjoy. It's not completely up there with some of the big boys, but I would say it holds its own.

4.07/5  rDev +4.1%

Had on a 2 degree day at the Beiaard in wonderful Amsterdam..!

its like a dark park ruby brandy dynamite beer...strong and bold...raisins and brandy...complex and warming in cold amsterdam..nice smell..sweet smooth berries and port..

this stuff could age wonderfully!!

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer pours a deep ruby/brown colour with a tight, long lasting head. The smell is malty with hints of leather. The taste is towards the sweeter end but well balanced by bitterness; flavours are malty sweetness with dark cherries and dark candi sugar. The beer is dangerously drinkable for its strength - the body being lightened by the use of sugar in the ingredients probably accounts for this.

Overall, this is a well balanced beer - described on the label as a gerstewijn (barley wine) rather than a Belgin strong dark ale. The alcohol is present and warming but sufficiently balanced by the flavour of the beer unlike some other examples of this style (e.g. Kasteel). Duke John has clearly produced a very well balanced (I just have to keep using that word) and tasty example of the style with this brew.

4.21/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I aquired this through my cousin who was in Utrecht for a few months and drank in during new years eve.

The color was a beautiful dark brown with some crimson hues, more transparent than I was expecting. A light, creamy head formed at the top of the snifter glass as it was poured in. A sight for sore eyes. The smell was sweet yet not too overpowering. Some fruitiness is definitely present, yet I felt it could have been slightly more aromatic for such a fine looking beer.

The taste was exquisite. Very sweet yet not overpowering, reminiscent of nice caramel and fruit. the sweetness somewhat overpowers familiar malt characteristics. the alcohol is felt only after about 3/4 of the way through a glass, which is a warming like others have said. The beer feels thick in the mouth, yet is smooth. after 1 1/2 glasses, the sweetness is so prominent nothing will diminish it. yet it is not overpowering! i enjoyed this with smoked salmon (a great compliment to the sweet maltiness in my opinion) and would love to try this again.

One of the best dark belgians i've had. seek and drink!

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

this bottle from a trade with Absumaster in NL, thanks again for the first batch of dutch beers!

pours very dark copper/orange with a very small (3mm) light tan head. nose is very malty, a bit dry,slightly sweet, and a bit bready. overall very attractive on the nose, if my description doesn't convey that. Curiously, ingredients include E150c, which single malt scotch drinkers might recognize as an artificial colorant(?).

taste is sweeter than the nose, a bit dry, with some hint of a very dark sugary or sweet taste. This is quite distinct from a belgian brune or dubbel, and works quite well.

Overall a very pleasant beer. Until I scrolled up to make a comment on the alcohol I had assumed this was a 5-6% beer based on taste. I had absolutely NO idea this was a ten-percent ABV beer! You cannot tell at all.

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%

So I am the first American to rate this beer? EXCELLENT! Goede Dag and Prost to my Dutch buddies out there.I bought this bottle last year in Holland whilst on a business trip. I go to the same liquor store in Someren every year. I have tried the Hertog Jan beers before, both the Tripel and the Dubbel, but this is the first Grand Prestige I have had. Overall I am impressed with it. It came in a 50 cl porcelain cage corked bottle. Very nice I might add. The pour was thicke, I almost didnt think it had carbonation, but then I saw the tan head appearing as I poured this beer into the Delerium Tremens snifter. The colour is dark, with no light penetrating the glass. The lacing built up nicely but fell after the first few sips. The aroma is nice, you can tell there is alcohol there, but the smell is not overwhelming at all. I almost smell some dark chocolate or roasted something or other in there. The drinkability is quite nice. It too tastes of chocolate with a tinge of alcohol biting in the end. The aftertaste is only alcohol, which is apparent in the taste more than in the aroma. Perhaps most 10% beers will exhibit the same right? I have definately tasted some lesser % beers that were to much of a alcohol taste, so for this type of beer, its actually a bit on the mellow side. Remember, this is a Belgian Strong Ale, so expect the taste to have some sort of -OH to it. Overall, its a great beer for sitting on the porch talking to friends watching the sunset, but remember to not stand up too fast as you might get a head rush :)

I would recommend anyone try this beer as its a good brew from a good Dutch brewery. I hope to find a few more bottles on my future business trips to Holland.

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%

BB 09/12/07, served lightly chilled in Hertog Jan's own goblet.

A: dark reddish brown colour, coming with a beige-hued frothy head with good retention.
S: ripe black cherries, raisins, dried apricot, and intense fruit-esters - overall showing a deeply fruity and yeasty characters covering the dark maltiness. But not extremely complex, to be exact.
T: semi-sweet black-cherry, dark plums, black candy-sugar, banana-oil like esters, a soft bed of overripe dark malts and dry nuts, leaving a little warming alc. mouthfeel down the throat... Just like the aroma, the dark malts plays the second fiddle, accompanying the perfumy and overripe fruitiness softly, while an underlying flow of grassy hop bitterness manages to linger very well until the very end. Pretty enticing and delicious, but not terribly complex.
M&D: showing a refreshing mouthfeel throughout for its strong alc. content, though the down side is a bit sharp palate and a rather thin-ish body for the 10%abv., not as mellow or rounded as I'd expected. I'm glad that I've tried it, though.

3.57/5  rDev -8.7%

One of the best beers of this brewery, a heavy dark ale with distinct roasted and candy sugar notes.

It pours a dark murky beer, with a very thin head, a typical high ABV head. Smell was malty, dark fruit and some apricot.
Mouthfeel was sweet and sticky, which was a little too much for me.
Main taste was grains, candy sugar and slightly roasted(maltbitter).What was striking to me was the nice warming feeling, which proves that the alcohol was nicely hidden, so no sharp alcohols here.
With every sip of this beer I can feel more alcohol running through my vains, so this defenitely a session beer and worth a try!

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Hertog Jan Grand Prestige from Arcense Stoombierbouwerij (Hertog Jan Brouwerij)