Big Daddy J's Imperial Lager - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

good

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DerAtomsmasher on 10-28-2013)
Reviews by AlCaponeJunior:
3.81/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not at all bad looking, yellow with a tinge of orange and lots of fine rising bubbles, head and lace were fair but not outstanding.

Aroma and taste - I get some citrus on the aroma that I'm not getting on the taste. Overall you get a good maltiness and quite a bit of sweetness, grass, and plenty of corn, making it fairly similar to the previous Big Daddy J's Malt Liquor (which I really liked). There's enough bitterness to provide some balance but I'm not catching a lot of forward hops from this one.

Body is medium to light and sweet with a sweet corn aftertaste. A bit out of style for an imperial lager, but styles are a constraint, and beer shouldn't have constraints, so I'll ignore that particular fact for this review.

Seems I will definitely remain a full sail fan for the foreseeable future, because I've enjoyed everything I've tasted from this brewery.

AlCaponeJunior, Mar 10, 2014

AnEscapedMind, Dec 13, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

KevMo84, May 30, 2014

bernat1971, Jan 15, 2014

Musineer, Jan 15, 2014

GClarkage, Jul 08, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: rich golden hue with no haze and a strong effervescence. Head is a thin finger of white foam. Not too bad!

Smell: lightly sweet malt aroma that is very low on the hops. There's a hint of a plasticy smell here too; not super offensive, but it's just not very enticing.

Taste: malty with a pretty strong alcoholic bite. Not much in the way of hops or bitterness. This beer really lacks balance.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a big carbonation and a pretty good creaminess, all-considering. It's hard to separate flavor from mouthfeel, but in this case I like the texture despite the fact that it makes me have to taste the beer more.

Overall: bleh. At first I wondered if this was going to be like the Big Daddy J Malt Liquor, seeing they are the same series and same alcohol level. Sadly, the malt liquor was a helluva lot better than this beer. This reminds me more of a Lithuanian strong-lager drunk-factory than a thoughtful craft lager.

flagmantho, Nov 05, 2013

TXBulldog, Dec 01, 2013
2.69/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I've been a big fan of Full Sail's Brewer's Share series...there's the charity aspect, sure, but there's also the simple fact that the brewers themselves get to play around with obscure styles & have them bottled & sold as sort of rotating seasonals.

That said, here's Big Daddy J's Imperial Lager.

A: Too orange to be considered 'golden.' A course head disappeared soon after I poured this into my stein.

S: I have to say, the smell here is mostly catty, with a faint background of caramel or toffee. Not the most appealing.

T: This lager's viscous, sweet backbone is mostly obscured by a little pepper and other sour hop flavors. There's a vague piney finish, but mostly here, it's cloying malts deadened by catty hops.

M: This beer, about 15-20 min after pouring, seemed almost entirely flat in the stein. Hangs a little heavy & syrupy on the palate.

This one's a bummer.

DerAtomsmasher, Oct 28, 2013

SaranacinTexas, Feb 04, 2014

twelveinches, Feb 09, 2014

DRTBrewster, Jul 22, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +37%

ANOTHER brewer's share from Jason Muñoz. It doesn't seem that long since Big Daddy J's Malt Liquor, but it has apparently been over a year. I'm not even going to break this down into taste and smell and all that because it's clear from the simplicity of this beer that none of that is really necessary or to the point. Having had the malt liquor by Muñoz, I'm going to compare them side by side, because something VERY peculiar happened here. THIS beer is everything I was looking for in the malt liquor. It is the exact same ABV and is a very sweet, simple, delicious treat. It has a very simple, malty sweet taste, with just a twinge of fruity sweet thrown in there. The hops are VERY, very low, barely lingering in the background to not quite cut down on the sticky sweetness going on. This brew is insanely smooth. It's got what I call a sweet, lagery fuzz. I'm not sure how else to describe it. The carbonation is perfect. Jason Muñoz REALLY should have called THIS his malt liquor and his malt liquor an Imperial Lager because it had far too many hops to ever be called a malt liquor. It was appropriately balanced the way an imperial lager should be. This is not. The one thing that just detracts a little bit from the smooth deliciousness going on with this boozy strong lager is the stickiness. It is sweet enough to have that sticky feeling. Otherwise, this is perfect. I wish I could buy this for the rest of my life.
Seriously, though. Just switch the labels between Big Daddy J's 2 lagers and everything suddenly makes sense. Don't know what that guy was thinking, but I'm giving this a freaking 5 because I finally got to enjoy the delicious, well-made, craft "malt liquor" that I wanted back in 2012. Thank you, Jason. It was 2 years in the making, but I am finally VERY satisfied.

ElCommodoro, Feb 15, 2014