1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Full Sail Amber - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Full Sail AmberFull Sail Amber

good

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

"Our Amber is a sweet, malty, medium-bodied ale with a spicy, floral hop finish. It's brewed with 2-row Pale, Crystal and Chocolate malts. And we hop it with Mt. Hoods and Cascades. We're as proud of it today as we were back in '89. And over the years it's earned 14 Gold Medals. Not that we're keeping track or anything.

ABV 5.5% IBU 31"

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-02-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Full Sail Amber Alström Bros
Ratings: 875 | Reviews: 426 | Show All Ratings:
JohnnyJam

Arizona

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%

I picked up some singles to try from a local grocery store and once again I'm here scratching my head with this pick. This is an Amber Ale and it is not a style that I gravitate toward. I guess that I though it was a Pale Ale.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with the date clearly printed on the label (10/06/13) into a pint glass and I get 1 1/4 fingers of head that dissipates at a moderate rate to leave a soapy covering of the glass that lasts to the end.

A: Pours an dark honey red color and I get 1 1/4 fingers of head that goes away at a moderate rate and leaves the top of glass covered with a soapy covering. There is a fair amount of lacing.

S: Malt and brown sugar mostly.

T: A Pleasant taste of malts and some coffee-caramel with a little bitter taste of hops at the end.

M: This goes down good. Moderately carbonated with a nice effervescence that surrounds my tongue.

O: I liked this beer and I would have it again. I like more hops in my beer and I am going to seek out an Amber Ale with more hops.

10-01-2013 00:53:41 | More by JohnnyJam
Leeshka410

Delaware

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

I really enjoy a good amber ale, and this one was simply okay. There was relatively little head to it which disappointed right off the bat. The color is a deeper, true amber with caramel-ish, toffee-ish aroma. I felt the taste was a bit flat but would not refuse one of these poured from a tap. Perhaps it was the bottle pour but the label says "ridiculously tasty" which I did not get from this beer.

09-27-2013 22:46:35 | More by Leeshka410
startreker

4.89/5  rDev +31.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A. Lovely amber hue, and copper. Nice creamy head, and generous lacing left behind throughout the beer.

S. Smells of rich malts, toffee caramel.

T. Big bold malts upfront, hops come into play balancing this ale. The finish is coffee, caramel, and chocolate notes at the end.

M. Has a nice full mouthfeel, that really makes this easy to drink.

O. This is my favorite amber ale by far!! Full Sail Brewing Company puts out good solid beers, I recommend this highly!!

Cheeers!!!

07-14-2013 22:55:08 | More by startreker
elNopalero

2.53/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the sort of amber ale that gives amber ales a bad name.
It pours a murky caramel color. There’s a slight caramel malt aroma. The flavor is dominated by a caramel-malt profile that veers overly sweet. This beer comes off as cloying and syrupy. Not one I expect to have again.

07-05-2013 06:40:42 | More by elNopalero
BethanyB

3.29/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Once poured, a clamor of bubbles dissipate to reveal a slight haziness and a medium-sized off-white head. The color is a lovely true amber. The head melted pretty quickly, but I believe my glass could have been cleaner. Also, I had just applied lip balm. Oops.

Smell: Toasty malt, backed by faint aromas of spicy hops and caramel. Not a big bouquet, but a pleasant one that grows as the beer warms in the glass.

Taste: Malt-forward, balanced by slight hop bitterness and...not much else. The malt is nice and toasty, and there's nothing unappealing about the other flavors, but as a whole, I'd say the taste of this beer is a bit forgettable. Definitely not a sipper, as there's not much to contemplate over. I'd still say it's a nice amber ale. Just not a great one.

Mouthfeel: I think this is where the beer is most lacking. The body feels too light and silky in the mouth, and the carbonation level was barely "medium." The beer kind of slid down my throat, leaving me with an empty glass before I knew it! Altogether unsatisfying in the mouth.

Overall: I found this to be a nice amber ale. Just not a great one. I think even just a slightly bigger body would have made this much more enjoyable. The "down the hatch" mouthfeel reminded me of a light American lager. Not a compliment, in my opinion. But the taste and aroma were far superior to any of those big label beers, that's for sure. This is a beer that's just as "poundable" as a Budweiser, but far more tasty. Maybe Bud should buy the recipe.

06-29-2013 20:24:34 | More by BethanyB
IchLiebeBier

Appearance: Dark amber/copper; medium, beige head

Aroma: Malty; bready; light hops; some citrus and slight pine

Taste: Juicy, malty at the start; sweet malt with well balanced amount of hops in the mid; finishes semi sweet with a good, flavorful aftertaste; very good

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 13:21:39 | More by IchLiebeBier
utopiajane

4.26/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours deep copper with a fluffy off white head that left plenty of lacing behind. Nose was malt perfection. Breaddy, caramel, a hint of Belgian, and a dash of chocolate. Some fruity hops lightly in back to promise a little earth and bite. Subtle and enticing in it’s look and nose. On the palate it’s heavenly smooth and deliciously malt forward without heaviness. Toasted grain sweetness, mellow rich malt and a playful touch of hops bitter and oily pine to keep it interesting. Sweet meets bitter in perfect harmony. As it warms the hops add a little spice to the aftertaste and with a bitter swish it finishes long yet gentle. This is a smart and well turned out amber. One I would go back to again and again.

06-12-2013 09:03:33 | More by utopiajane
XCOR

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This amber is a nice clear brown. Very little head when I poured some into a glass. It had a nice, round taste--didn't stand out too much for me in any particular direction.

It kept a nice flavor in my mouth each time I put it down--sort of a nutty flavor that I enjoyed. Having tried another Full Sail product tonight, I feel I can put these both down as simple, reliable beers.

06-12-2013 05:09:15 | More by XCOR
ryan1788a5

4.24/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear red-orange color with tinges of brown. The beige head settles to a quarter of an inch but doesn't budge from there. Lacing remains in the form of a thin ring.

S: Pine, citrus, marmalade, and herbal spice from the hops duke it out with a malt base that throws up aromas of caramel, brown molasses, bread crust, and just a hint of cocoa.

T: Nice tropical hop flavors open. Vibrant tangerine and blood orange. Lemon zest. Pineapple. Hints of tobacco leaf and herbal spice. Malts display a rich caramel, toffee, molasses, toasted crust, and faint cocoa. Toasted chestnuts. Hop oils and earthy herbal tastes share the finish with caramel, toffee, and brown molasses.

M: Robust medium body. Very chewy. Creamy and smooth. Mild carbonation. Slight hop astringency and enamel grip.

O: There's a lot of flavor crammed into this beer. It over achieves somewhat, as most people don't expect too much from an unassuming amber ale. One of the best readily available ambers on the market.

06-04-2013 02:01:32 | More by ryan1788a5
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pint: in Valhalla, New York on 18 Jan 2013.

Pours a good clean amber colour with a thin white topping.

Malts lead the way in both the aroma and taste. Sweet and tasty brew (I like malty, sweet beers), caramel and dark fruit hints hide the alcohol well and I really enjoyed this beer, my last in New York before re-joining my cruise ship after a day wandering around and drinking.

05-28-2013 15:27:55 | More by BlackHaddock
AnalogReigns

4.7/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This really is a great beer. I was at the Harris Teeter (grocery store) trying to decide what to get from their huge (but depleted for Memorial day) selection. When I saw Full Sail labled their Amber "Ridiculously Tasty" I was sold, plus it was a reasonable price (under 10 for a 6er) for a true craft-brew.

Appearance is great, keeping a tight small head, with distinct lacing all the way down the glass. The smell is of hops, and malt, well balanced.

Taste too is excellent--with the sweet carmel malt perfectly matched to the hops. NOT a hop-head's beer, with probably no more than 30 or 35 IBUs, but BALANCED....the key to all good beer. This beer is what amber ales should all aspire to be...or rather their brewers' aspire to produce!

Just a good, hearty beer, extremely well crafted, filling, and refreshing.

05-26-2013 04:20:37 | More by AnalogReigns
FairyFunBoy

3.58/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A- Auburn red with a one finger white head. Minimal lacing down the pint.
S- Biscut, earthy tones.
T- sweet malt with dark fruit esters. A nice alcohol hit followed by hop spice.
M- medium body, low carbonation
O- Full Sail makes a good amber. A balanced beer where one attribute doesnt outweigh the other.

05-24-2013 04:29:37 | More by FairyFunBoy
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Full Sail Amber has a thin-to-medium, off-white head and a slightly bubbly, clear, amber appearance, with a bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, fruity, brown-bread malt, and the flavor is of those elements with a pleasant hop bitterness at the end of the sip. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Full Sail Amber finishes semi-dry, refreshing, and easy drinking. Overall, this is a most excellent beer. RJT

04-29-2013 20:21:25 | More by RonaldTheriot
AlCaponeJunior

3.88/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice auburn color, clear, good lasting 1 finger head and pretty good lacing.

It's a malty one, nicely so, with some caramel, toffee, biscuit. Hops are accenting but plentiful and more notable on the aftertaste than the initial drink.

Body is medium, with smooth carbonation and a good malty finish.

A very enjoyable beer, definitely a nice amber ale.

04-11-2013 20:25:03 | More by AlCaponeJunior
kristenspaintings

3.66/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I poured this lovely beer in to a pint glass, I am not sure if this is the traditional choice for an amber ale but boy did it work. Right off the bat, it produced a very nice creamy and aromatic head. The initial taste is slightly sweet and malty, pure yummy. The beer does have a rather strong hoppy aftertaste for my personal choice, but that is not uncommon amongst this type of beer. This is definitely a very good quality beer. Pair is nicely with a flavorful curry or some grilled spicy meat. Not outstanding, a very good price and a great pair for flavorful food, try it!

04-09-2013 15:33:33 | More by kristenspaintings
DrDemento456

Mixed and matched this one for $1.75

A - Pours a very dark amber brown, probably because of the chocolate malts. The head is a solid 1/2 inch that sticks around with great lacing.
S - Biscuit malts, floral hops, and some herbal tea. Smells of mild caramel or toffee as well.
T - Very good crisp body. Flavors of sweet caramel malts, then toasted biscuit, followed by some citrus hops is great. The herbal tea flavor works its way into the finish as well which is actually quite refreshing.
M - Light to medium and crisp in taste. A great session ale.

Overall between this and the IPA I think I am loving this brewery. Worthy of a 10 dollar mixed six pack.

04-08-2013 23:59:16 | More by DrDemento456
justintcoons

4.16/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Brownish-amber with 1 finger of off-white head. Excellent clarity with lively carbonation. Leaves behind a nice layer of lacing.

Nose
Biscuit, caramel and brown sugar.

Taste
Caramelized brown sugar and biscuit. Cantaloupe and honeydew melon. Touches of floral hops.

Mouthfeel
Medium-full bodied, silky, smooth and crisp.

Overall
This is an excellent Amber Ale!

04-07-2013 00:12:48 | More by justintcoons
tone77

3.79/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a bronze color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, some caramel. Taste is well balanced malts and hops, a bit of caramel, tasty and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall this is a solid beer.

04-06-2013 13:30:45 | More by tone77
FLBeertender

3.59/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A favorite of our patrons down in the panhandle. This ale registers high in drinkability and overall flavor. Compared to a Fullers London Pride or CCB Tocabaga, it might fall short, but for an "amber" ale, I'd give it a chance. A fair addition to a menu, paired best with a Turkey Rueben or Cheese Fries.

04-06-2013 08:46:16 | More by FLBeertender
PublicansPlate

4.16/5  rDev +11.5%

I enjoyed this amber from Full Sail. The packaging caught my eye with the witty information on the label. "Specialists In The Liquid Refreshment Arts Since 1987." Pretty Funny.

Once I opened the beer though I was surprised at the aroma. I've tried quite a few amber beers in my life and they generally rank around a mild flavor and bouquet in my experience. This beer really stood out. I enjoyed the flowery smell as I put the glass to my nose. I kind of got a little preview of the taste. However, the taste exceeded even that expectation.

It surprised me with how complex the flavor was. Slightly bitter on the back of the tongue but a mild and pleasant sweetness that filled my mouth. It didn't necessarily have much "mouthfeel" as BA would call it. It wasn't velvety or rich in feel, but it was very delicious.

I kept tasting it trying to regather my opinion to make sure I had really got this right. But in conclusion, I'd recommend this beer for most people. I would exclude IPA snobs who think that if it's not crazy levels of bitter it's not worth drinking. Also, those who are into strictly lighter and more refreshing beers (i.e. my wife) probably won't pick this as their favorite.

Cheers!

04-04-2013 21:37:30 | More by PublicansPlate
woodychandler

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Hockey & beer = great times! The collegiate men's games leading up to next week's Frozen Four have been airing today and I have been sailing along with them, thanks to the arrival of Hood River, OR's finest beer. I despaired that they may limit themselves to the PHL area, but everywhere that I turn here in S/C PA has them in some form. I could hardly restrain my excitement at our single/bottle shops and am now reaping what I sowed.

From the bottle: "Ridiculously tasty original Amber Ale"; "Specialists in the Liquid Refreshment Arts Since 1987".

I want my beers to jump out of the bottle and into the glass and as such, I am heavy-handed with my pour. This was no exception and I quickly had two fingers of dense, tawny head head with great retention staring at me. Color was the dictionary definition of deep-amber, plus NE-plus quality, to boot. They certainly know how to clarify their beers in Hood River. Nose was nutty, not nutty like me, but more like pecans, walnuts, almonds, that sort of thing. Say, don't I remember something untoward about a bitter almond smell in liquids? Nah, I must be mistaken. Mouthfeel was medium and it really had a nutty flavor to it on the tongue. Finish had a minty hoppiness to go along with the nuttiness noted previously. I am not a huge fan of ambers, unless they are the hot redhead giving me a lap dance, but this was eminently drinkable. Now, if they would just CAN their beers, I would be a total fan ...

03-24-2013 00:32:14 | More by woodychandler
micromaniac129

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Copper amber color with a smallish white head. Plenty of lacing around the glass.
Aroma, I'm getting mostly biscuit and bready malts. I don't smell any hops.
Taste isn't that bad. Has a sweet malt taste like sweet breads.
Drinks smooth.
A solid beer thoug ordinary and plain. But good.

03-23-2013 12:32:04 | More by micromaniac129
TheSixthRing

3.96/5  rDev +6.2%

Enjoy by date of 04/05/13

Appearance - Pours a clear, dark amber color with an off-white, 2 finger head. Good retention, leaving behind a nice layer of microbubbles on the surface. Fair to spotty lacing with good stick.

Smell - Sweet, bready aroma. Slightly earthy.

Taste - Follows the nose. Lots of bready, slightly caramel malt character. Hits very lightly on toasted malt notes near the finish. Hops are pushed back, but come through with soft earthy tones and very, very mild orange zest.

Mouthfeel - Wonderfully drinkable body. Medium-bodied with a moderate amount of soft, near silky smooth carbonation. Goes down with inviting ease.

Overall - A great amber. Very approachable, and just enough flavor to keep the beer geek in me satisfied. Can't believe I got this beer for $3.99/sixer. Killer steal of a deal.

03-20-2013 05:11:03 | More by TheSixthRing
CAA

Indiana

An outstanding amber. Gorgeous color. Full bodied. Smooth with a little bite to it. Very easy to drink. Goes with anything from steak to pizza.

One of the first amber beers I ever had (back in the 1990s) and it is still great. I am not able to find it in Indiana, but had a friend pack some down from Minnesota for me. Just awesome.

03-05-2013 20:29:41 | More by CAA
Hoptometrist

Oregon

3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

Served from the bottle into a nonic glass

A- Poured a dark and rich amber color, very clear, frothy off-white head that left tons of splashy lace

S- Big cereal graininess, breadiness, chocolate, brown sugar, and toffee. Very interesting aroma for an amber ale, very pleasant

T- Some light citrusy and bigger herbal/earthy hop character, dominant cereal graininess and toffee, some light chocolate notes. Nice balanced flavor profile. Surprisingly quite a bit of alcohol comes through in the taste for such a low ABV beer.

M- Lighter bodied, soft carbonation, semi-dry, a little bit of alcohol burn

O- The aroma on this beer was very pleasant. I will say the booziness in the flavor was a turnoff for such a low ABV beer, just odd, maybe something was off.

02-25-2013 02:27:54 | More by Hoptometrist