Full Sail Amber - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-02-2001

"Our Amber is a sweet, malty, medium-bodied ale with a spicy, floral hop finish. It's brewed with 2-row Pale, Crystal and Chocolate malts. And we hop it with Mt. Hoods and Cascades. We're as proud of it today as we were back in '89. And over the years it's earned 14 Gold Medals. Not that we're keeping track or anything.

ABV 5.5% IBU 31"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Full Sail Amber Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,075 | Reviews: 454
4.01/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had this on 2014-06-09 in Columbia, PA

A - Pretty clear, dark amber with a 1-finger off-white head and mild lace.

S - Light-medium toasted bread, a bit sweet, light spice and floral. Mild.

T - Bread, citrus, touch of cherry, pepper. Has the right amount of caramel sweetness and decent balancing bitterness.

M - Medium+ body and light-medium carbonation. Substantial. Creamy. Very nice feel.

O - Reminds me a bit of the Deschutes Red Chair or a Hoppy Blonde from Columbia Kettle Works. I like that it has very nice flavor and feel at 5.5% ABV. I'll have this again.

3.36/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a thin head on a clear dark straw colored body.
The aroma is grain with mild lemon. Nice.
The taste has mild lemon bitterness with a malty backbone. Good balance.
The texture is soft with moderate carbonation.
It's an easy drinking and enjoyable amber.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours an appealing amber hue, similar to that of table syrup. Settles nicely in a glass with a two-finger beige-cream head that dissipates somewhat slowly. Minor lacing present all-round.

Smell: A subtle presence of sweet, malty scents and a bit of hoppiness, but nothing overpowering. Would describe the hop aspect as 'ambiguous'. Some notes of pine and a smoky character about at times.

Taste: Possibly the strongest aspect of this particular one. Some flavors of burnt caramel, floral hops, and toasted bread. The hops comes through stronger than anything, but it is not especially 'hoppy'. Mildly bitter, subtly sweet. The aftertaste is pleasant and doesn't linger particularly. Well-balanced and a respectable entry in this style of beer.

Mouth-feel: Definitely not watery, but not particularly heavy either. Feels somewhat thin, with a minor amount of carbonation - just enough to let the drinker know it's there.

Overall: An excellent, easy-drinking brew, but far from perfect. It's not especially notable for anything, but it is not bad at all. It receives my approval and I may just be drinking this again quite soon.

Notes: Poured into a clean U.S.-style tumbler from a glass bottle, served chilled.

3.54/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice dark amber with a reddish tint and very minimal head. Smells of sweet toasted caramel and a bit of roast. Maybe slightly oxidized. The taste is pleasant with perceivable earthy hoppiness, a medium amount a maltiness from crystal malt and definitely some roasted malt in there too. A small taste of cola. Nice and refreshing carbonation but thin body. Overall a nice take on an Amber, but could possibly fit in Brown Ale category too.

2.34/5  rDev -37.4%

Not much aroma. Pretty bitter ... Overhopped for my taste. Presents well with a nice amber color and nice head.

[I am copying these notes over from RateBeer ... it does not require as long of review. I tasted this some time ago so I can't add anything.]

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Not much soapy off-white head collects atop a pretty dark amber colored body. Quite a bit of lacing on the glass.

The bottle is 3 mo. Before its best by date. Smells like orange jam. Floral. Plenty of bready malt.

Taste follows through with that slightly sweet orange jam hop and malt mix. Toasty bread. Mild hop bitterness. Ends spicy and bready. Smooth drinking with medium carbonation and body.

Nice flavors, but nothing too exciting.

3.66/5  rDev -2.1%

Coming from a person who doesn't like ales too much, this is a good beer. Very balanced taste. The hops are noticeable but not overwhelming, perhaps less so than Boston Lager. It has a nice dark amber color (imagine that). The smell is what bothers me. To me the smell isn't very attractive for a beer but besides that its a fine beer.

3.61/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

We did a blind taste test between this beer and 4 other amber ales to objectively determine which one was best. The beers were Full Sail Amber, Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale, New Belgium Fat Tire, Lost Coast Alleycat, and Alaskan Amber. You can watch the video here to see who won:

4.12/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Just went down the store and picked this up after drinking (and reviewing) Fat Tire because I wanted to see how they compare. Right away I noticed this is quite a different animal...

Appearance - 12oz bottle into pint glass. Two fingers of head dissipates into a whispy, clingy lace and is sticking around around for the long haul. Crystal clear, deep amber hue.

Smell/Taste - Aroma is more hop-centric than anticipated for an amber, caramely malts are playing nice with some citrusy, spicy hops. Taste follows the nose for me and starts with some mild citrusy, floral, grassy hops and some faint bitterness that soon gives way to a nutty, slightly caramel malt backbone. A gentle bitterness lingers.

Mouthfeel - Medium/light body, crisp, dry, carb level is effervescent and scrubbing, maybe a touch more than I'd prefer.

Overall - A damn fine beer. Compared to Fat Tire (the motivation for this review), this has a bit more complexity that I feel comes from more substantial hopping. I wouldn't say this is a "better" beer than Fat Tire by any means, both have their place. However, it certainly lets the hops come out and play more assertively yet still maintains good balance.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A off big white to light tan head leaves a nice lacing above a crystal clear reddish golden colored beer.

A balanced lightly roasted malts with citrus hops aroma.

A lightly roasted caramel malts taste.

A slightly dry aftertaste with a bit of the caramel malts tastes remaining behind with this medium bodied beer.

Another good Amber, give it a try.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz : tulip

Clear, amber red with a foamy, off white head.

Floral, spicey hop notes, with a solid malty, lightly sweet backbone.

Medium body, foamy carbonation.

A well done amber ale. Nicely balanced hop and malt notes. I had passed by this for years now, and finally realized I hadn't tried it. I'm glad I gave it a shot!

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer, as the name would suggest, pours a deep amber color with a one finger of just off white head. The head fades rather fast leaving a persistent film left floating atop the brew.

Smell – The aroma is rather light overall consisting of some smells of caramel and a little bit of a bready smell. Along with these aromas are some lighter smells of an earthy nature.

Taste – The taste begins with a biscuit and caramel flavor with some notes of roasted malt and a brown bread flavor. As the taste advances flavors of hop join in. The hop is initially entirely of a more earthy nature , but others of a citrus and more floral hop taste come in as the flavors advance to the end. Along with the hop coming to the tongue, so too comes some spice flavors as well as a bit more sweetness from brown sugar and molasses, leaving a pleasant sweet and lightly hopped malty flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the rather average side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is rather average. Both are quite nice for the style and make for a nice easy drinker.

Overall – A rather balanced amber overall. Not too sweet, not too malty, and not too hoppy. Overall an enjoyable brew.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Enjoyed this beer our of a Belgian tulip glass

A: Pours a copper-amber hue with a white head that leaves a nice trail and solid persistent lace.

S: Sweet malty aroma with a good hoppy background.

T: Similar to the smell there is a sweet malty flavor that blends in nicely with the hops.

M: Medium body and minimal carbonation.

O: Just a so-so IPA

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

I picked up some singles to try from a local grocery store and once again I'm here scratching my head with this pick. This is an Amber Ale and it is not a style that I gravitate toward. I guess that I though it was a Pale Ale.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with the date clearly printed on the label (10/06/13) into a pint glass and I get 1 1/4 fingers of head that dissipates at a moderate rate to leave a soapy covering of the glass that lasts to the end.

A: Pours an dark honey red color and I get 1 1/4 fingers of head that goes away at a moderate rate and leaves the top of glass covered with a soapy covering. There is a fair amount of lacing.

S: Malt and brown sugar mostly.

T: A Pleasant taste of malts and some coffee-caramel with a little bitter taste of hops at the end.

M: This goes down good. Moderately carbonated with a nice effervescence that surrounds my tongue.

O: I liked this beer and I would have it again. I like more hops in my beer and I am going to seek out an Amber Ale with more hops.

3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

I really enjoy a good amber ale, and this one was simply okay. There was relatively little head to it which disappointed right off the bat. The color is a deeper, true amber with caramel-ish, toffee-ish aroma. I felt the taste was a bit flat but would not refuse one of these poured from a tap. Perhaps it was the bottle pour but the label says "ridiculously tasty" which I did not get from this beer.

4.87/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A. Lovely amber hue, and copper. Nice creamy head, and generous lacing left behind throughout the beer.

S. Smells of rich malts, toffee caramel.

T. Big bold malts upfront, hops come into play balancing this ale. The finish is coffee, caramel, and chocolate notes at the end.

M. Has a nice full mouthfeel, that really makes this easy to drink.

O. This is my favorite amber ale by far!! Full Sail Brewing Company puts out good solid beers, I recommend this highly!!

Cheeers!!!

2.53/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the sort of amber ale that gives amber ales a bad name.
It pours a murky caramel color. There’s a slight caramel malt aroma. The flavor is dominated by a caramel-malt profile that veers overly sweet. This beer comes off as cloying and syrupy. Not one I expect to have again.

3.3/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Once poured, a clamor of bubbles dissipate to reveal a slight haziness and a medium-sized off-white head. The color is a lovely true amber. The head melted pretty quickly, but I believe my glass could have been cleaner. Also, I had just applied lip balm. Oops.

Smell: Toasty malt, backed by faint aromas of spicy hops and caramel. Not a big bouquet, but a pleasant one that grows as the beer warms in the glass.

Taste: Malt-forward, balanced by slight hop bitterness and...not much else. The malt is nice and toasty, and there's nothing unappealing about the other flavors, but as a whole, I'd say the taste of this beer is a bit forgettable. Definitely not a sipper, as there's not much to contemplate over. I'd still say it's a nice amber ale. Just not a great one.

Mouthfeel: I think this is where the beer is most lacking. The body feels too light and silky in the mouth, and the carbonation level was barely "medium." The beer kind of slid down my throat, leaving me with an empty glass before I knew it! Altogether unsatisfying in the mouth.

Overall: I found this to be a nice amber ale. Just not a great one. I think even just a slightly bigger body would have made this much more enjoyable. The "down the hatch" mouthfeel reminded me of a light American lager. Not a compliment, in my opinion. But the taste and aroma were far superior to any of those big label beers, that's for sure. This is a beer that's just as "poundable" as a Budweiser, but far more tasty. Maybe Bud should buy the recipe.

Appearance: Dark amber/copper; medium, beige head

Aroma: Malty; bready; light hops; some citrus and slight pine

Taste: Juicy, malty at the start; sweet malt with well balanced amount of hops in the mid; finishes semi sweet with a good, flavorful aftertaste; very good

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

4.26/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours deep copper with a fluffy off white head that left plenty of lacing behind. Nose was malt perfection. Breaddy, caramel, a hint of Belgian, and a dash of chocolate. Some fruity hops lightly in back to promise a little earth and bite. Subtle and enticing in it’s look and nose. On the palate it’s heavenly smooth and deliciously malt forward without heaviness. Toasted grain sweetness, mellow rich malt and a playful touch of hops bitter and oily pine to keep it interesting. Sweet meets bitter in perfect harmony. As it warms the hops add a little spice to the aftertaste and with a bitter swish it finishes long yet gentle. This is a smart and well turned out amber. One I would go back to again and again.

3.81/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This amber is a nice clear brown. Very little head when I poured some into a glass. It had a nice, round taste--didn't stand out too much for me in any particular direction.

It kept a nice flavor in my mouth each time I put it down--sort of a nutty flavor that I enjoyed. Having tried another Full Sail product tonight, I feel I can put these both down as simple, reliable beers.

4.23/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear red-orange color with tinges of brown. The beige head settles to a quarter of an inch but doesn't budge from there. Lacing remains in the form of a thin ring.

S: Pine, citrus, marmalade, and herbal spice from the hops duke it out with a malt base that throws up aromas of caramel, brown molasses, bread crust, and just a hint of cocoa.

T: Nice tropical hop flavors open. Vibrant tangerine and blood orange. Lemon zest. Pineapple. Hints of tobacco leaf and herbal spice. Malts display a rich caramel, toffee, molasses, toasted crust, and faint cocoa. Toasted chestnuts. Hop oils and earthy herbal tastes share the finish with caramel, toffee, and brown molasses.

M: Robust medium body. Very chewy. Creamy and smooth. Mild carbonation. Slight hop astringency and enamel grip.

O: There's a lot of flavor crammed into this beer. It over achieves somewhat, as most people don't expect too much from an unassuming amber ale. One of the best readily available ambers on the market.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pint: in Valhalla, New York on 18 Jan 2013.

Pours a good clean amber colour with a thin white topping.

Malts lead the way in both the aroma and taste. Sweet and tasty brew (I like malty, sweet beers), caramel and dark fruit hints hide the alcohol well and I really enjoyed this beer, my last in New York before re-joining my cruise ship after a day wandering around and drinking.

4.69/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This really is a great beer. I was at the Harris Teeter (grocery store) trying to decide what to get from their huge (but depleted for Memorial day) selection. When I saw Full Sail labled their Amber "Ridiculously Tasty" I was sold, plus it was a reasonable price (under 10 for a 6er) for a true craft-brew.

Appearance is great, keeping a tight small head, with distinct lacing all the way down the glass. The smell is of hops, and malt, well balanced.

Taste too is excellent--with the sweet carmel malt perfectly matched to the hops. NOT a hop-head's beer, with probably no more than 30 or 35 IBUs, but BALANCED....the key to all good beer. This beer is what amber ales should all aspire to be...or rather their brewers' aspire to produce!

Just a good, hearty beer, extremely well crafted, filling, and refreshing.

3.52/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A- Auburn red with a one finger white head. Minimal lacing down the pint.
S- Biscut, earthy tones.
T- sweet malt with dark fruit esters. A nice alcohol hit followed by hop spice.
M- medium body, low carbonation
O- Full Sail makes a good amber. A balanced beer where one attribute doesnt outweigh the other.

Full Sail Amber from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub