Full Sail Amber - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Full Sail AmberFull Sail Amber

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

"Our Amber is a sweet, malty, medium-bodied ale with a spicy, floral hop finish. It's brewed with 2-row Pale, Crystal and Chocolate malts. And we hop it with Mt. Hoods and Cascades. We're as proud of it today as we were back in '89. And over the years it's earned 14 Gold Medals. Not that we're keeping track or anything.

ABV 5.5% IBU 31"

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Full Sail Amber Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a deep amber with a mountain of off-white, thick, foamy head that has great retention. The nose has notes of caramel and very faint bread. The taste is caramelly, faintly bready, sweet, and lightly bitter. The mouthfeel is smooth, well carbonated, and medium bodied.

This is quite average. The flavor profile is pretty subdued and mellow, and the nose and mouthfeel do nothing to change the experience. I probably won't ever seek this out.

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sweeter and stronger than the average Pale Ale, Full Sail's Amber Ale hits the style squarely on the head with a firm caramel malt flavor with understated balance of citrusy American hops- all built nearly to perfection.

Pouring a deep amber hue with the sheen that gives a bronze-like color. Brilliant clarity and a thin but creamy off white head round out the rich looking appearance.

Malty rich aromas seem of deeply caramelized sugars, medium kilned barley, and spicy yeast. A balance of citrusy hops take on a grapefruit and sprucy scent. Simple in variety but its lack of challenge makes it very appealing to the nose.

Flavors behave similarly- caramel rich flavors stop shy of toffee character and carry medium to full sweetness. Lightly grainy, medium malt, and nutty flavors further round out the malt-forward flavor profile. The timid rebuttal of citrusy hops also carry a grassy or piney flavor that develops into a lighlty resiny bitterness in finish that almost balances the strong malt flavor. Lightly yeasty with a note of light bread, bread dough, and bread crust- this is the only noteworthy complexity that exceeds the malt and hop contributions.

Medium bodied, but the weight of the beer seems higher because of the sweetness from unresolved barley sugars. But the sweetness waivers just a bit into cola-like flavors and textures just before the hop bitterness assists in dryness. Light alcohol warmth and evaporative cooling further attempt to crispen the mouthfeel, but a lingering sweetness lasts well into aftertaste.

A very tasty Amber Ale that does all that the style perscribes. But more malt richness and less one-dimensional sweetness could have resulted in a better balanced American Amber Ale.

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pretty aggressive pour gives me a one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is a little fluffy and pillowy, but mostly soapy looking. There are a fair amount of medium sized bubbles, and the whole look just seems a bit soapy. Not a terrible looking head, it does have some creamyness to it, but not amazing either. Head retention isn't that great, the head is pretty much already gone, but it has left a decent amount of bubbles on top of the body that don't seem to be going anywhere. The lacing actually looks very nice, but we will have to see how that goes. The body is pretty much your standard amber ale color. I mean the color is pretty much amber, dark red, somewhat brown and orange to be exact, but overall pretty much just amber. Not cloudy at all, if the beer were lighter it would be completely see through. As it is though, the beer is pretty dang dark, so I can't see a whole lot on the other side of the beer. The carbonation looks very nice, it looks about exactly medium. Overall it's not a bad looking beer, the body isn't too shabby, and the head was somewhat soapy, but not that bad. The smell is actually pretty promising. I say that because sooo many amber ales these days have little to no hops in them, this smells like it might have some. Not a lot by any means, but a decent amount, for an amber ale that is. The smell is mostly dominated by the malts, dark, fruity, very sweet smelling, caramel - like. There is also that distinct Full Sail carbonation smell, it kinda blends in with the hop smell, because Full Sail also has a distinct hop smell. It's weird, not necessarily a bad smell, just distinct. The more and more I smell this beer the more I think the hops are going to be more and more present. I mean it's not an IPA, or even a pale ale on the nose, but it smells like it will be a legitimate amber ale, which is hard to come by these days. The smell isn't really wowing me that much overall, I'm just very happy I'm smelling hops. I'm kinda a stickler when it comes to amber ales, but the fact of the matter is that this isn't more than a 3.5 on the smell. It's a good smell, but I'm really more excited about the hops, than the "amazing" smell. Not a bad beer, not a bad beer at all. Really, the hops are almost more dominating on the taste, they hit my tongue first, which is very surprising. It's an interesting taste, because first a get the hops, and then only a nanosecond later I get the malts, dark, fruity, rich, very nice, but also somewhat watery. It's funny, it's like the beer isn't watered down, but the malts are, haha. I guess it's just that I get the water and the malts at the exact same moment. Very bitter up front, the hops aren't that citrusy, piny, spicy, or anything lively, they are just very bland, and bitter. Frankly I don't like them that much, but any hops are good hops. As most Full Sail beers go, it's a good taste, but a bit watery. Somewhat woody tasting, and carbonated tasting. I mean there are a fair amount of flavors going on here, but it's more of a chaotic, mess up, than a well laid out beer. It's not a bad taste overall, but the hops are rough, and the beer is a little watery. 3.5 for sure, it gets that grade right off the bat simply for having hops, and when I drink it more and more, it deserves it. the mouthfeel is interesting, you get a hop bite, but like I said it's not all that citrucy or anything, it's just bitter. You get it, it's there, and I would call it a "bite", but it's more bitter than anything. That bitterness is accompanied by the carbonation which is actually damn high, probably too high. Really....it's a very unique mouthfeel, I haven't had hops that are just bitter, and that's it, in a long time. I also haven't had a beer this carbonated in a long time. Not a terrible mouthfeel, it's a 3.5, but that is a bit generous. I guess it's not all that generous, after taking another swig, the thickness of the body (which isn't bad for a amber ale) makes up for the carbonation. The drinkability is very high, it's a low ABV beer, it's also light, and tasty enough that I'm already almost done with my glass. Overall it's a very unique beer, strange bitterness, extreme carbonation, and overall a weird taste, and weird everything. It's not a bad beer, but it's not outstanding either. As I keep drinking this beer I think the problem is that there isn't enough of a malt character to balance out the weird and powerful hop taste. I can't believe I'm saying that because I'm always advocating for more hops in my amber ales, but you still need a balanced beer, even if it's super hoppy, and this beer isn't very well balanced.

The appearance turned out nice. The lacing followed me all the way down the glass, it was a little patchy, but overall it was pretty full. The body was nice, and the head wasn't bad. I'll give it a 4 because the lacing was damn good, and everything else wasn't too bad.

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color is an alluring amber hue. fantastic bubbly head that leaves lacing behind on the glass. The aroma consists of fruity esters and floral hop notes, not unlike a good IPA. The flavor of the beer is very clean with a hint of lemon, like spring water, giving way to hop flavors and a malt finish. Medium bodied with a mouth feel leaving me wanting more. Very refreshing!

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%