Full Sail Amber - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 12-02-2001

"Our Amber is a sweet, malty, medium-bodied ale with a spicy, floral hop finish. It's brewed with 2-row Pale, Crystal and Chocolate malts. And we hop it with Mt. Hoods and Cascades. We're as proud of it today as we were back in '89. And over the years it's earned 14 Gold Medals. Not that we're keeping track or anything.

ABV 5.5% IBU 31"
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Full Sail Amber Alström Bros

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pretty aggressive pour gives me a one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is a little fluffy and pillowy, but mostly soapy looking. There are a fair amount of medium sized bubbles, and the whole look just seems a bit soapy. Not a terrible looking head, it does have some creamyness to it, but not amazing either. Head retention isn't that great, the head is pretty much already gone, but it has left a decent amount of bubbles on top of the body that don't seem to be going anywhere. The lacing actually looks very nice, but we will have to see how that goes. The body is pretty much your standard amber ale color. I mean the color is pretty much amber, dark red, somewhat brown and orange to be exact, but overall pretty much just amber. Not cloudy at all, if the beer were lighter it would be completely see through. As it is though, the beer is pretty dang dark, so I can't see a whole lot on the other side of the beer. The carbonation looks very nice, it looks about exactly medium. Overall it's not a bad looking beer, the body isn't too shabby, and the head was somewhat soapy, but not that bad. The smell is actually pretty promising. I say that because sooo many amber ales these days have little to no hops in them, this smells like it might have some. Not a lot by any means, but a decent amount, for an amber ale that is. The smell is mostly dominated by the malts, dark, fruity, very sweet smelling, caramel - like. There is also that distinct Full Sail carbonation smell, it kinda blends in with the hop smell, because Full Sail also has a distinct hop smell. It's weird, not necessarily a bad smell, just distinct. The more and more I smell this beer the more I think the hops are going to be more and more present. I mean it's not an IPA, or even a pale ale on the nose, but it smells like it will be a legitimate amber ale, which is hard to come by these days. The smell isn't really wowing me that much overall, I'm just very happy I'm smelling hops. I'm kinda a stickler when it comes to amber ales, but the fact of the matter is that this isn't more than a 3.5 on the smell. It's a good smell, but I'm really more excited about the hops, than the "amazing" smell. Not a bad beer, not a bad beer at all. Really, the hops are almost more dominating on the taste, they hit my tongue first, which is very surprising. It's an interesting taste, because first a get the hops, and then only a nanosecond later I get the malts, dark, fruity, rich, very nice, but also somewhat watery. It's funny, it's like the beer isn't watered down, but the malts are, haha. I guess it's just that I get the water and the malts at the exact same moment. Very bitter up front, the hops aren't that citrusy, piny, spicy, or anything lively, they are just very bland, and bitter. Frankly I don't like them that much, but any hops are good hops. As most Full Sail beers go, it's a good taste, but a bit watery. Somewhat woody tasting, and carbonated tasting. I mean there are a fair amount of flavors going on here, but it's more of a chaotic, mess up, than a well laid out beer. It's not a bad taste overall, but the hops are rough, and the beer is a little watery. 3.5 for sure, it gets that grade right off the bat simply for having hops, and when I drink it more and more, it deserves it. the mouthfeel is interesting, you get a hop bite, but like I said it's not all that citrucy or anything, it's just bitter. You get it, it's there, and I would call it a "bite", but it's more bitter than anything. That bitterness is accompanied by the carbonation which is actually damn high, probably too high. Really....it's a very unique mouthfeel, I haven't had hops that are just bitter, and that's it, in a long time. I also haven't had a beer this carbonated in a long time. Not a terrible mouthfeel, it's a 3.5, but that is a bit generous. I guess it's not all that generous, after taking another swig, the thickness of the body (which isn't bad for a amber ale) makes up for the carbonation. The drinkability is very high, it's a low ABV beer, it's also light, and tasty enough that I'm already almost done with my glass. Overall it's a very unique beer, strange bitterness, extreme carbonation, and overall a weird taste, and weird everything. It's not a bad beer, but it's not outstanding either. As I keep drinking this beer I think the problem is that there isn't enough of a malt character to balance out the weird and powerful hop taste. I can't believe I'm saying that because I'm always advocating for more hops in my amber ales, but you still need a balanced beer, even if it's super hoppy, and this beer isn't very well balanced.

The appearance turned out nice. The lacing followed me all the way down the glass, it was a little patchy, but overall it was pretty full. The body was nice, and the head wasn't bad. I'll give it a 4 because the lacing was damn good, and everything else wasn't too bad.

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color is an alluring amber hue. fantastic bubbly head that leaves lacing behind on the glass. The aroma consists of fruity esters and floral hop notes, not unlike a good IPA. The flavor of the beer is very clean with a hint of lemon, like spring water, giving way to hop flavors and a malt finish. Medium bodied with a mouth feel leaving me wanting more. Very refreshing!

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear amber with a thin, creamy white head.

S: Aromas of toast, cream, vanilla bean, caramel, and floral hops are present on the nose. Displays a bit more depth than many ales of this style.

T: Notes of toast, chocolate, vanilla bean, heavy cream, caramel, and floral, citrusy hops are quick to make their presence known. The finish is gentle and satisfying with toasted malt notes mingling with caramel and floral hops. In terms of flavor, this ale is a bit more robust than many other American amber/red ales.

M: Medium bodied and dry with firm, active carbonation. Very filling for this kind of beer.

O: This is a solid American amber/red ale that is a bit more flavorful than most. Overall, it's a pretty good beer and is a decent representation of this style.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

3.38/5  rDev -9.6%

Not feeling long winded so lets make it simple. Firm body with not enough carbonation to go to the creamy levels. A good if not great malt bill with hints of chocolate and toffee. There's plenty of hits but nothing that turns this to the IPA world. A good bit of citrus hops through out.

A very solid amber and if this is how you like your amber, it might be among the best. I like a bit more hops and less density in the malt, but that's a personal preference.

3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Neck stamped 081211. Hope that's a born on date and not an expy!

Appearance - Pours a big loose three finger pancake batter/seafoam head with great stick and good retention. Medium-dark clear amber body.

Smell - Mild malt and hop characters. Some orange. Some grassy notes. Smooth and balanced.

Taste - Mild. Smooth. Very balanced. No off characters. Some lime peel bitterness in the finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Head offers some texture.

Overall Drinkability - The acidic/bitter lime peel aftertaste lingers a bit too long for a beer that doesn't offer very strong hop characters in the taste.

3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

APPEARANCE: A mahogany brown color with a pretty good looking, slightly off-white head about a quarter-inch thick. This is a pretty lively beer with plenty of bubbles darting to the surface as it awaits the first sip.

SMELL: There is a lot of toasty malt aroma in this one along with some nuttiness. It smells like a nut brown ale.

TASTE: The Full Sail Amber sure is nutty. It is also quite a bit hoppier than I expected, but the roasted malt flavor beats out the hops by the end of the sip. The malt flavors, however, are not rich and sweet, rather they are dry and a little burnt. A hint of lemony citrus creeps into the aftertaste as well and it becomes more prominent with each sip.

MOUTHFEEL: There is a strongly carbonated feel up front, but that quickly fades and the Amber becomes more oily after the middle of the sip. The citrus aftertaste also creates a bit of a pucker.

OVERALL: Aside from the slight pucker at the end of the sip, this is a pretty drinkable beer. It is a little on the heavier, maltier and darker side for an amber, but remains a very easy drinker. I would drink this one again, but I probably won't go out of my way for it.

4.28/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Transparent reddish-brown with a frothy beige head with light lacing. Good.

Smell: Roasted malts, cocoa, cracker wheat. Nutty.

Taste: Chocolate. Moist herbal hops. Bread. Fruits. apple and raisin. Considerable malt with nice bitter hop backing.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-body, crisp and balanced.

Overall: Sweet and balanced flavorful ale. This is accessible and affordable.

Full Sail Amber from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub