Full Sail Pale Ale - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-2002

Not to be confused with their English Style Pale.

"Our Pale Ale has a fresh, hoppy aroma that comes from two (top secret) Northwest hop varieties, while two-row Pale and Crystal malt give it a mild sweetness that finishes clean and crisp. Feeling out of whack? Put on some music, crack a Pale Ale, and readjust your balance.

ABV 5.4% IBU 37"
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Full Sail Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.42/5  rDev +19.5%

Appearance & Aroma: It was clear and slightly amber colored with a creamy white head, which left some good lacing. There seemed to be a pretty good amount of carbonation in it, revealing a bready-malty aroma with some hints of caramel malts.

Taste & Feel: The body was light and it had a crisp mouthfeel from the carbonation in it. There was a bready and caramel flavor in the middle, leading to a nice bit of floral-piney bitterness in the clean finish.

Food Pairing: Like a lot of clean pale ales, it makes me think of pub food. It’s light and refreshing enough to drink on its own, yet it can be a good pairing to help wash down many fried or bready foods. For me, a good solid pub burger and this beer go great together.

Overall Impression: There seemed to be a good balance between the bready, malty flavors up front and the bitterness finish. I enjoyed the mix of flavors in every sip, and found it to be very drinkable. It would be easy to have a few of these at a time, especially on a nice hot summer afternoon like this. (1,035 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured into a pint glass. This beer just didn't do it for me. There seemed to be something missing that left me flat, so to speak. The carbonation was mild, which is good, but the taste was nothing to write home about. It lacked character and a roundness in flavor. I've had three from a sixer, and I don't really look forward to the rest. Compared to other pale ales (Sierra Nevada, Stone, Sam Adams, even Red Hook ESB) this beer just doesn't tast that great. It's not bad; I just can't really recommend it. I'll finish the next three bottles and see if I change my mind. (572 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Another beer that I picked up in Tulsa that I have never tried or even seen before. I was kind of unsure about the fact that the brewery is employee owned, however you can tell that these guys take pride in their beers. There were only two styles avaiable in Tulsa, the amber the pale which is the one I picked up. I wish I had picked up the amber as well.
The pale was a nice coppery clear with a white head that left some nice lace, and the smell had a nice malty/floery hop balance. The hops were not overwhelming like some pale ale's. The next thing I knew this beer was gone, I then had to have another. Good thing I am not to far from Tulsa. (649 characters)

12 oz bottle, pretty sweet label design. Enjoy by date clearly marked. The destinctive package design actually drew me to this beer.

Appearance: Crisp, very clean mild orange hue with about an inch of a creamy white crown. Good lacing, but the crown fades at a moderate pace. Nice lacing.

Aroma: Refreshing mild hop aroma with light malt undertones.

Taste: Again, crisp and refreshing medium bodied. Nice balance of the hops and the pale malt base. Simple and to the point. Finishes with a nice citrus bitterness. Very drinkable.

Notes: Very well made APA, but I feel like its lacks just a bit of depth. I was drawn in by the great package design and was expecting a bit more from this beer. Would be a great summertime beer. (731 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear light amber color with little head, which dissipates quickly. Smell is strong hops, with a faint hint of... caramel malts. Clean smell. Yep, caramel malts. Taste is too heavily balanced toward the malts in my opinion for a pale ale, needs more hops. Good mouthfeel, very smooth, not too thick, but not watery either, good balance here. Drinkability... well, I bought a sixer a few weeks ago and had two on two separate occasions, not my favorite. I figured I'd review it before I finish the last two, because it wont be in my fridge again anytime soon. I can't buy beer based on how good it looks and smells... Try it out if you like more malt in your pale ale, reminds me of JW Dundee's pale ale, which is not a good thing. (738 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pint glass

A: light copper color with maybe a centimeter head despite a pretty hard pour

S: slight smell of sweet pale malt. Maybe a little bit of floral hops, but that just might be my expectations

T: leads with vague malt sweetness. Floral hops quickly follow. Oddly, the flavors suddenly disappear shortly afte the brew touches my tongue, leaving only a slight metallic taste.

M: like a very watered down soda. Very thin, but what body it does have is like a light sludginess. (514 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Visual: Light to medium amber color. Moderate, but fairly persistent head, low to medium carbonation.

Aroma: Malt mostly, including a bit of unidentifiable sulphur, and a bit of hops. Slight ethanol, also.

Flavor: Mild bitterness to start, then malt, then some hop flavor, followed by hop bitterness with a bit of persistence in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation provides only a tough of creaminess; medium mouthfeel.

Overall: This in many ways is more like a British pale ale than an American pale. While quite drinkable, itis really not that notable. (576 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +27%

the folks up in oregon really due know how to make beer.it helps that im a homebrewer and like ale.easy to read drink before date embalsed on the bottle.had a twist cap that i had to use a opener on.like the catchey label its not the one shown on this page.
a:clear ambor color moderte head that laces nicely down the glass.
s:can smell the flower aroma of hops.no doubt of what this is.
t:tas good explouds with flavor nice citrus taste.
m:good mouthfeel this is a good ale.
d:as with all ale you arent going to drink these all night long but this is a good enjoyable beverage.
needless to say i liked this one and will get more.
cheers yall (649 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from bottle into tulip

A- medium copper color, with not too much of a head that doesnt last that long.

S- malty , hops, but mainly citrus.

T- some hops that are dominated by citrus, but not in a bad way or too strong of citrus. balanced well imo.

M- mouthfeel was about average. crisp. wet finish. not bad.

O- this is one to try but dont expect too much. tasted like an average pale ale imo. the citrus overpowerd the hops a little more than i prefer. but good. (467 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +19.5%

Clear beer with a deep golden to light amber color and a moderate head. The aroma nicely balanced between hops and malt and this balance follows through to the flavor. This is not quite as hoppy a beer as many American pale ales, such as Sierra Nevada or Red Seal, but shows a degree of finesse many lack. The malt character is grainy (in a good way) and slightly sweet from crystal malt. The hops show a very faint hint of mint. The aftertaste floats along, still maintaining the delicate balance of malt and hops. (Usually, one or the other comes to the front in the aftertaste.)

This is one of my favorite pale ales and a definite go-to beer. (649 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

Received in a trade from Wasatch, thanks John!

A: pours a fairly clear bright golden amber with a very flimsy quickly fading white head and some minimal lacing

S: bready/grainy malts dominate with some spicy and piney hops, not as much hops as I normally like in my pale ales, more of an English Pale Ale

T: sweet grains and some spicy hops on the front with cereal grain coming across mid palate and just a bit of bitter juicy citrus and pine

M: medium bodied with fairly high carbonation making this beer very crisp and accentuates the hoppy bitterness

D: very tasty and sessionable, not alot in the way of hops but enough there to balance the very present malt sweetness.

At first I was surprised that this tasted more like an English Pale than a NW American Pale ale, but after looking at the best by date I see that the hops have probably faded quite a bit, I would love to try this super fresh because I'm sure it's quite hoppy (940 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Nice golden color like apple juice with carbonation. Thin and quick dissipating head.

Smell: Oranges, citrus, light malts, faint spice. Pretty complex here.

Taste: Well balanced hops and malts. The taste starts with the malts and then leads to the hops. Faint fruit/citrus flavors accompany the whole way. Ends with the alcohol cleansing the palate.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Its a good APA but I might pass up it for an untried one. (482 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +27.8%

12oz brown bottle, with a throwback label, boasting of 47 employees. This was easily one of the cleanest drinking beers I've had recently. Smooth, pale color, clean smell, and it went do so easy. No bitterness, but a full clear flavor. An excellent overall beer. I was sad that I had but one to drink. (301 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Full Sail Pale Ale had a nice amber color, but slightly cloudy. This pale ale presented a flowery, sweet aroma with a slight nutty taste. Not too shabby of a pale ale. The Full Sail Pale Ale was pretty drinkable.

This bottle of Full Sail Pale Ale was included in a "Beers of the World" package (Apparently from World Market) I received as a Christmas gift. If I saw a sixer of this I'd probably try it again. (410 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -36.2%

From Full Sail Brewing Company

Full Sail Pale Ale
Full Sail Brewing Company
Style: American Pale Ale (APA)
ABV: 5.40 %

Boooo!

I love Pale Ales and hated this beer. It must have been a bad batch or something because it seemed flat and tasteless. Did not even come close to satisfying my expectations. For the first time in a while I started a beer I couldn't finish. WOULD NOT buy again. (390 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

A: golden and slightly hazy. Looks like most APAs.

S: slight hoppiness and bitterness.

T: tastes like a good APA. There is a good amount of hops, but not overwhelming like and IPA. Goes down smooth with some bitterness from the hops.

M: pretty thick and somewhat carbonated.

This was a nice treat to have with my cheeseburger at a local dive bar. I will definitely order another pint of this again in the future. (416 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -10.8%

Not really sure about the appearance because I am just drinking out of the bottle. Seems a little bitter for me and not that smooth. . just too bitter - doesn't go well with food .
too much flavor.. seemed to get better as temperature changed. I think it's drinkable (267 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Full Sail poured smooth in the glass with a one finger white head that disappated quickly leaving lots of good lacing. The beer is a clear golden color in the glass. Its smell is heavy with hops and sweet alcohol. At first taste it is perfect, great mouth feel, nice sweetness and malt up front. As it rolls back through your mouth it tastes a little washed out and watered down but has a nice strong bitter after taste. It is the mouth feel and slight creaminess that gives this beer its high drinkability. A good Pale Ale. (524 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Served in a pilsener glass (because it was handy). Moderate lacing, pleasing, rich amber coloration. Very high in IBUs--closer to an American IPA. Fairly complex flavor; I'll avoid esoteric gyrations over my own subjective flavor impressions and just say that this beer reminds me of Hazed and Infused a little. I would probably buy it again. (342 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Presentation: A 12 oz. brown bottle with a twist off cap.

Appearance: Pours about two fingers with nice lacing. Light amber in color.

Smell: Very aromatic. A bit grassy with sweet hops and a strong citrus note.

Taste: Hits the tongue sweet and slightly tart with a sufficient amount of bitterness. Finishes dry.

Mouthfeel: A medium to light body and a crisp bite from the carbonation.

Drinkability: Completely drinkable. A few of these should definitely help you slake your thirst. (486 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer poured a solid dark orange-yellow as clear as day. Poured some what vigorously but not much of a head to report.

Smelled of sweet honey and slight hops, super clean.

This pale ale tastes of bready malts, a tiny bit of piney hops ( almost non-existent though), finishes super clean with a bit of honey. A very refreshing pale ale.

MF: light to medium body, with a slick prick from carbonation.

Super drinkable, this is my go-to session beer when I am at Trader Joe's. Definitely going to the summer time brew of 2010 for me. (537 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks to my sister-in-law for unknowingly providing from her stash! HA!

A: Pours seemingly thick, producing a rather small foam head which dissipated quickly. Against light, looks to be a transparent honey amber. Very little lace.

S: Man, the fruit profile of this is incredibly present given the style... what did I pour, an apricot ale? Seems like it... not against it by any means, but a surprise. Malty sweetness with a tinge of resiny hops... hint of passion fruit sweetness / tartness.

T: Malt forward (surprising in the face of the smell, but excellent for variety in a single beer). Finishes with the sweetness detected in the smell, yet not at all overpowering; it reminds you that it welcomed you to taste this brew.

M: Very full bodied for the style, as to be expected by the pour. Light on carbonation (I like that in nearly all styles). Very enjoyable.

D: Very much so. Though not my favorite beer style, it's nice to back off of the double IPA's and imperial stouts to enjoy the predecessor to the over-the-top styles I normally enjoy. (1,065 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -35.7%

A little dissapointing after the nice amber Full Sail brews. Poured with virtually no head. The body was clear with virtually no carbonation. The hue was a dark amber to light brown. The aroma was dominated by hops but had a walnutty malt to it with hints of toffee and brown sugar. My palate did not enjoy this beer. The body was light to medium, dry, moderately astringent, and lively carbonation. Didn't balance very well. The flavor was weak for a Pale Ale. Lightly sweet, heavily acidic, and moderately bitter to begin with a luckily short finish that heavily bitter and acidic. (583 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a light orange into a pint glass. About two inches of head and tons of lacing.

Pretty subdued smell...little bit of citrus/pine.

Taste is much bigger than the aroma. A almost perfect balance between the bite of the hops and the sweet malt. Very good...gives SNPA a run for its money.

Mouthfeel is very good, and drinkability is insane. A perfect session brew.

Overall, I wasn't expecting too much, but was pleasantly surprised. An very good APA. (456 characters)

Typically I break a review down into appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability descriptions, but this beer didn't really have anything notable in any category. This was exactly average. Not great, not terrible. It was okay. Hoppy, med/light body, drinkable. I don't know. It was okay. (296 characters)

Full Sail Pale Ale from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub