1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Full Sail Wassail - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Full Sail WassailFull Sail Wassail

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

"A deep mahogany color, Wassail is brewed with four different malts and a blend of Pacific Northwest hops, giving it a malty full body and a pleasantly hoppy finish that appeals to both hop and malt lovers alike. In other words, a Christmas miracle."

ABV 7% IBU 56

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Full Sail Wassail Alström Bros
Ratings: 738 | Reviews: 468 | Show All Ratings:
electricfields

Idaho

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

I've never been a huge fan of this style (perhaps because I've just made a lot of really bad picks that turned me off of it), but I generally like Full Sail's stuff, so I figured I'd give this a try.

A: Dark red - almost black with a frothy head and lots of lacing, at first. The head dissipates fairly quickly and so does the lacing, however.

S: Not very strong. Brown sugar malts and sort of piney spices. There's a nice citric hoppiness that gives me a really good feeling about this one.

T: This is probably the best winter warmer I've ever tasted. Pine and citrus are the clearest flavors, but there's a nice caramel sweetness underneath balancing them out and a subtle hint of coffee. The lack of overwhelming flavors is very, very welcome. It's "seasonal" without being cloying about it. Very pleasant.

M: I have nothing to complain about here. Fairly light carbonation with a little bit of a bite to it. A little bit syrupy and it sticks to the back of your mouth a bit, but not as thick as a stout or something like that.

D: This has always been a big sticking point for me with winter warmers, but this one is the exception to the rule. There's no single disgusting flavor overwhelming everything else. It tastes "seasonal" without being self-consciously "seasonal." That said, I will probably drink another one of these when I'm done with the one in front of me right now.

11-14-2009 02:46:29 | More by electricfields
GrizzlyBrew

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

A - think chestnuts or roasted pecans. tan head that quickly fades to the edge of the glass with little atolls floating around the surface

S - Munich-y, bread crust, slight coffee and a citrus-y/spiciness

T - pretty dry malt character, coffee & roasted comes through nicely with little to no astringency. this citrus thing is kind of weird, maybe bitter orange peel, maybe just "C" hops.

M - mod-high carbonation, but still fairly smooth

O - A decent beer. the nice balance of roast with citrus character makes me keep drinking.

12-12-2011 14:54:52 | More by GrizzlyBrew
dfitch81

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%

Good Gawd I love this beer. An all-time fave to be sure. Pours an absolutely beautiful dark amber with about a half-inch head that lingers throughout the drink. Smell is hearty malt (dark fruits and grains) balanced by unmistakeable hops - this is a winter warmer with a northwestern flair. That impression is more than born out by the taste: a seemless wedding of strong malts and assertive hops that pushes the flavor envelope impressively far. Flavors of festive pine, berries and dried fruit are the highlights. Mouthfeel is smooth and viscous, allowing the wonderful flavors to coat your tongue. The only deterrent to this beer's drinkability is its 7.0% ABV, which although not extremely high, certainly places this brew outside what would normally be considered session status. But I just want to drink bottle after bottle, even though it brings on the buzz faster than I'd like. Buzzed or not, I will drink more. It's too good to resist...

11-07-2008 02:21:40 | More by dfitch81
Popp24

4.05/5  rDev +6%

This is a nice winter warmer. It has a nice hopiness to it but also has a creamy taste to it like a stout. In the smell I get spices and hops maybe some caramel. The taste is really nice and I really get some nice breadiness and then a nice smooth hop aftertaste. Overall this is one I would drink every winter and I will look for it in the future.

12-31-2011 08:12:20 | More by Popp24
TroyS

Idaho

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

I picked-up some Wassail by Full Sail Brewing Company of Oregon at Vino Rosso in Idaho Falls, Idaho; The Vino Rosso offers more wines than beers, but just around the corner from Marcellar's, they have a great beer selection and super meats, cheeses, and etc. to match up so nicely with your favorite Chimay or Ayinger. By the way...I think think the pic on this page could use an update; I've seen this beer with this look for a while now, so maybe time to change the pic out unless the one displayed it more common. My beer looks more like the one on this page - http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/wassail.cfm , but more maroon in the label vs. red. I also think the abv needs to be updated as it's marked 6.5 abv on mine.

The Full Sail Wassail poured with a modest head with a creamy cascading coco color with a bit of volume. It stuck around for a while leaving a nice lace behind. It was a nice medium dark head that I was surprised to see not just disappear considering the crisp and clear flavor of this medium bodied winter warmer.

It carries some really nice fruit flavors; nashi and pine come through showing off the sweetness het hoppiness of this particular brew. It's not super high in alcohol, but I think I'd enjoy this one in a nice and deep glass to enjoy before bed. Although there's some hop present, it's soothed with a nice bitter pear that's not only warm and friendly, but it coats your mouth with a citrus and mildly foamy feel. Very enjoyable.

By the way...this particular bottle has an "enjoy by" date of 031008 which would put it past due. This sucker isn't just fine, but one worth suggesting. Mmm Good!

04-26-2008 20:24:32 | More by TroyS
tangentrider

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Dark brown beer with a tan head; dark copper highlights when held to the light

S- Sweet malt, caramel, slightly nutty

T- Hops hit right off with pine and coffee, followed by a touch of sweetness (not much); finish is bitter herbal. Could be a bit sweeter for the style, but overall a good winter warmer.

MF- High carbonation, yet smooth in the mouth.

D- I love hops, so the hoppiness is a plus for me; I'll have this one again.

03-15-2009 21:56:35 | More by tangentrider
DrewS

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%

I must say, this is one of the better winter seasonals I've tried thus far. This beer pours out dark brown with a reddish tint. It has a decent off white head that falls to a thin layer on top. The balance can be detected right off the bat on the nose with both malt and hops competing for attention. Malt speaks up first on the tongue while the hops get in the last word and speak bitterly into the long finish. A good balance of sweet malt with a touch of molassas and hops with a piney earthiness make this beer a delight to drink. Throw in a touch of warming alcohol and you have yourself a hearty brew that chases away the winter blues. Thanks to dolem98 for enabling me to enjoy this great west coast treat.

12-12-2002 14:58:26 | More by DrewS
nathanho

2.35/5  rDev -38.5%

Brown amber with almost no head and little carbonation - unremarkable. Smells like rootbeer, tastes like bland rootbeer and malt liquor...ok, not that bad but the taste is very flat with some spice as an afterthought. Mouthfeel isn't offensive but you wouldn't know you had a beer in your mouth...maybe like cold, watered down au jus? I did finish a six-pack, but only because that's all that was left in the fridge. Just wait 'til nex year?

12-03-2005 22:04:24 | More by nathanho
alexrichman

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a snifter

A> Nice coffee color, tan head although not much lacing

S> Very malty, mostly roasted flavors with complex undertones of sweet dark fruits

T> Delicious, a great mix of dark malts with a very nice hop biterness. Great finish that really clarifies both flavors.

M> My only real complaint about this beer is that IMHO it's just too thin for the style

D> Very drinkable for this style, I think they sacrifice the feel of the beer to make this one of the most sessionable winter warmers on the market

Great winter beer, Full Sail always has great prices too. Not my favorite winter warmer but an all around great beer.

10-10-2010 06:58:26 | More by alexrichman
Eisen

4.51/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a rich dark red with a thin white head and thin lacing. Smells of dark fruit and chocolate. Tastes as it smells with a wonderful warming from the alcohol. The hops and alcohol balance out the strong malt backbone to create a very balanced and very delicious ale. Definitely one of the best winter warmers available, especially for the price.

12-13-2013 01:19:24 | More by Eisen
anotherpg

4.47/5  rDev +17%

Winter Ales tend to be dark (good) and full of nutmeg and crap I wouldn't otherwise want in my beer (bad). Full Sail avoids the trappings, giving a dark, hoppy, malty winter ale that stands up to sitting around the fire. The color is dark caramel, the malts are complex, the balance just right at 7%abv. What stands out is how easily drinkable and enjoyable this is. A perfect seasonal brew. I could not ask for more.

12-05-2010 01:56:00 | More by anotherpg
Chas58

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

After a quick glance out the window at the 8 inches of snow it was clear that a winter beer was in order. The Wassail had been an early season favorite so a return to this and a review was in order.

Appearance: A dark yet reddish color that upon initial pour seemed amber-ish.  A very limited light brown head that trails away quickly  The head is limited despite an agreesive pour. The beer appears a rich brown, and dark in color upon settling in the glass.

Smell: A subtle yet clearly spiced nose meets you immediately. The spiciness and color match well and entice you to take a sip. Cinnamon and floral spice is clear.

Taste: The first taste provides you with a rich mouthful of flavor that is strong, moderately carbonated and pleasant. This gives you an immediate strong sense of the cool weather beer you want to drink. The aftertaste is apparent yet appropriate. The hoppiness is tempered and balanced.

Mouthfeel: The upfront carbonation is moderate and the back end carbonation is persistent and pleasant.

Drinkability: This is a drinkable beer, but does appear to have a stronger alcohol content than it's 7.0. The beer is not heavy like many winter and late season beers, so is a very pleasant beer for enjoying.

12-27-2010 03:20:15 | More by Chas58
ELN

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Bought two Six Packs this afternoon, this and Widmer Brothers W'11 Russian Imperial Stout. This was a dollar less @ $6.98. I figured that I don't like ales that much but it might be gone next time I'm at the store and it's local and I won't have to wait and try it some other year.

Drank this out of a bottle, don't know what it looked like... probably dark?? (I never drink out of stupid glasses.) Don't think I've bought it before. I don't like ales aka The Winter Beer. This one is on the warmer side of taste and not real bitter.

appearance: 4 (really don't know, just figurin')
smell 3 (bitter, piney)
taste 3.5 (not heavy, but not overly bitter.)
mouthfeel 4 (not macro)
drinkability 4.5 (I'm on my 3rd in 4 hours, tonight is New Year's.)

Who cares. 2010 was not noteable. Listening to the Bobby Fuller Four. Good night.

01-01-2011 02:30:39 | More by ELN
JustinQ

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

8.49 for a six pack

A: Light brown/amber in the pour. nice 1 finger white head.

S: hops right off the back, smells like hot wort when your chilling

T: Perfect balance of maltiness and hoppiness. i even get a little bit of roast character.

M: full bodied, little bit of enamel ripping. very smooth

O: Very good brew, been trying all the full sail i can recently, have yet to be dissappointed.

11-26-2011 03:57:38 | More by JustinQ
RedBiddy

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

I love this beer. I had to hold it up to the window to peek through the beer. The view of my neighborhood seemed to be filtered by the sepia setting on my camera. Perfect lacing. I wish I could comment more on the smell but my nose is stuffed up. The taste was wonderful - Angels at a track meet stomping all over my tastebuds. My mind chased the bitter, smokey, sweet and malty tastes swirling in my mouth cave. Each swallow is like a curtain opening down my throat with exciting sensations. Damn, I love this beer.

12-02-2011 18:38:50 | More by RedBiddy
latercol

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

pours a dark brown with reddish highlights minimal lacing.

dark fruity smells. plenty malty.

Taste is excellent. Kind of like a stout mixed with an old ale. Very fruity and chocolate/coffee combined. very nice.

Mouth feel is smooth and rich with just the right amount of carbonation.

Very drinkable and very tasty:)

03-22-2009 23:55:13 | More by latercol
notoriousdav

Colorado

3.78/5  rDev -1%

This is a nice winter brew from this small brewery. Pours a deep mohagany with a two fingers of head. Some hops and roasted coffee/chocolate come through on the palate. Definitely a bit of alchohol noticable on the finish. Perhaps a little fruit at the end as well. A good winter warmer.

12-15-2006 18:43:50 | More by notoriousdav
xybreeder

Louisiana

4.47/5  rDev +17%

A: Dark ruby, moderate lacing, decent head. It's teasing me to drink it so better get going!

S: Wow, this one smells really nice. Sweet, roasty and caramelly. Hops are pronounced and present in the nose.

T: Yummy; malts stand out with sweet accent on the end. Warm and inviting, and then the hops hit you, very nice. I'm getting caramel, and nuts. A little bitter, but nothing overpowering.

M: Light and smooth, perfectly carbonated.

D: Very drinkable, could be in trouble at 7% ABV. :) A perfect beer to enjoy during those cold winter nights, job well done for the 47 peeps at Full Sail.

12-31-2009 01:26:51 | More by xybreeder
FatCaster

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured into a snifter, resulting in a disappointing head, that dissipated quickly. However, this one has merits far beyond such things.

A--Pours brown, but reveals a ruby red tinge in the light. What little head there is is pretty white. Still, awfully pretty in that light.

S--This is exactly what I would like from a winter beer. I immediately thought of Christmas upon smelling this. A sort of piney smell, mixed with a sweetness and a bit of spice.

T--A smooth almost sweet flavor, perhaps a bit of ginger. Blends into a toasty warm glow that fills the mouth with an unadulterated sense of well being.

M--Low carbonation, and a healthy weight that lingers for a moment or two on the palate. Could stick around a bit longer, though.

D--I'm imagining a warm, hearty dinner with family...and presents being opened...and a few (possibly too many) of these tasty brews accompanying the whole shebang.

Best winter type beer I've this year and highly reccomended for cold nights.

10-18-2008 06:49:00 | More by FatCaster
BeerBard

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

I'm tasting a 2002 and 2003 side-by-side. The aged 2002 is a bit cloudy... both have a small head that sits for a while. Both are wonderful examples of the "American Christmas Special"....malty/hoppy, high alcohol and highly flavored old ale - dopplebock - trippel - porter variant that takes a moment to warm in the mouth before hitting you with a punch. Reminds me of the Anchor Christmas seasonal. Lots of reviewers seem unimpressed. Let them drink Pabst! I think it's a wonderful beer. Consider letting a couple age a year or two...don't be scared. Fresh up it has more bite...aged it has a rounded dessert-like quality. I think it's my last 2002, so I'll put a few 2003's aside and write again in a few years. Merry Christmas!

12-18-2003 02:31:38 | More by BeerBard
imrichbeeeatch

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Late 2005, on tap at local restaurant. Pours deep mahogany color with nice creamy white head. Aroma is sweet malt and nice American hops. Resin, citrus, pine. The aroma was probably my favorite part of the beer. The first taste is all hops, tasted as expected from aroma. Then it turned sweet. I was able to taste the bready malt and a slight chocolate flavor which was nice. Then the hops snap back into action, cleaning my mouth. It has nice body, full but not heavy. It was a little to sweet for my taste. Fine beer, but not my favorite from these guys.

01-09-2006 01:11:43 | More by imrichbeeeatch
amccormi

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a bottle from my man Dave(thanks), best by date of 4/4/11? The pour gave a hlf inch of tan foam that was creamy and faded slowly leaving lacing on the sides and a ring on top. The beer is a brilliantly clear brown amber with ruby highlights, quite pretty overall.

The aoma is mostly of caramel and toffee malt sweetness. Appropriate for the style.

The flavor leads off with that malty sweetness, caramel and toffee. There is also more of refreshing hop bitterness at the end which give a pleasant balance to the beer.

Medium body is probably a little thin for the style but I think it is spot on for this particular beer.

I like it and would enjoy a 6 pack. I have to imagine it would have more hop aroma when it was younger, but it has a nice balance as it is.

04-02-2011 01:07:04 | More by amccormi
spoots

4.58/5  rDev +19.9%

2005 is an excellent year for this beer. I enjoyed last year's bottling, but this one is a gem.

Pours a gorgeous clear roan color with a long-lasting, two-finger head and plenty of lacing. Lots of life in this beer. The smell is deliciously balanced.Yes it's hoppy for a winter warmer, but the malt is right there to balance the aroma. Superb nose on this one.

The taste is pure heaven...malt, cinnamon, more malt, chocolate. Lots of volume, and nothing left behind. The flavor just goes on and on.

Mouthfeel is creamy, dense, complex. Finish is long and satisfying.

I absolutely love this beer. Superb!

11-21-2005 04:56:54 | More by spoots
mat5175

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

This is a gorgeous beer. Wonderful deep reddish brown, clear. Not too thick a head, dissipates rapidly, but leaves a decent lacing.

Unremarkable nose. Rich, a little sweet, a good deal of hops in the nose.

Fairly light and silky on the palate, with a more than fair amount of carbonation. Very lively, bubbly beer.

This is a very prototypical winter warmer. Mild sweet dark flavors on the front; finishes with a good deal of hop bitter. This has a high enough ABV to serve its purpose, but this is never in the forefront. Like others of the type this becomes more intense as it warms, but can be enjoyed almost to room temperature.

i have had several of these without tiring of it, but not interesting enough to keep going through a six pack over an evening. Good offering for the season.

12-27-2007 21:51:11 | More by mat5175
Yaz8

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

12 oz. bottle poured dark ruby brown with a smallish head and good lacing. Roasted malts and coffee are featured in the smell, which lacked the spruce and spiciness you might expect in a winter seasonal. Roasted coffee beans are the strongest flavors, which include rich maltiness and some chocolate. A hint of hops bitterness is evident to keep things balanced. Medium mouthfeel, full carbonation, and a crisp clean hops aftertaste.

11-26-2008 04:47:06 | More by Yaz8