2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Full Sail Wassail - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Full Sail WassailFull Sail Wassail

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

"A deep mahogany color, Wassail is brewed with four different malts and a blend of Pacific Northwest hops, giving it a malty full body and a pleasantly hoppy finish that appeals to both hop and malt lovers alike. In other words, a Christmas miracle."

ABV 7% IBU 56

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Full Sail Wassail Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next › last »
Ratings: 740 | Reviews: 468 | Show All Ratings:
creeperjones

Montana

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%

It's only mid-October, but I am very happy to say I decided to return home from college for the weekend to visit my girlfriend, and what else do I find at the local market then fresh, fresh, fresh Full Sail Winter Ale!? I am amped. Let's begin.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle with a March of '11 "enjoy by" date, which absolutely thrilled me. I love the holidays!

Appearance: Lovely dark cherry brown color with a creamy tan head that was admittedly a little thin, but I am chalking that one up to anxiousness of having an ale I truly love.

Smell: Piney hops immediately tackle the nose. It just makes me think of the pacific northwest. I love it.

Taste: On a relatively crisp October night like this, this beer is perfect. It immediately warms the body with it's strong body and very rich, dry, piney taste. There isn't a lot of spices to it at all, from what I gather. This really works to its benefit. And at 7% it's remarkably smooth.

Notes: It's such a pleasure to drink. One of my very favorite winter warmers because it's simple and very much akin to the wonderful pacific northwest. If you're a fan of the style or the brewery, I urge you to try this.

10-16-2010 00:50:31 | More by creeperjones
yemenmocha

Arizona

4.47/5  rDev +17%

Pours very dark brown with contrasting white head.

Nose has sweet dessert spices, maybe reminiscent of belgian candy sugar. Brownies. Roasted malt.

Palate offers a whopping roasty character that is rounded out nicely with hops, but clearly focus on the malt. Alcohol is reasonably subdued. Brownbread & brownie flavors emerge.

Easy drinking for such a heavy beer.

06-17-2008 03:52:19 | More by yemenmocha
Japerrault

Idaho

4.47/5  rDev +17%

A: Rich tan head topping an opaque brown ale. Nice lacing was left on the dimpled mug.

S: Sweet malts and spicey hops. Slight whiff of sweet chocolate followed by spicey/citrusy hops.

T: Really a nice blending of malts and hops. Light sweetness in the forefront showing mellow roasted malt flavors, then pleasent hops show up lending a flowery spiciness to the mix. There is an appropriate lite bitternes in the finish. Very good.

M: Good carbonation and full mouthfeel gives the feeling of substance.

D: No problem finishing one of these. I found myself looking forward to the next sip. All around a great beer.

12-01-2008 06:37:22 | More by Japerrault
xybreeder

Louisiana

4.47/5  rDev +17%

A: Dark ruby, moderate lacing, decent head. It's teasing me to drink it so better get going!

S: Wow, this one smells really nice. Sweet, roasty and caramelly. Hops are pronounced and present in the nose.

T: Yummy; malts stand out with sweet accent on the end. Warm and inviting, and then the hops hit you, very nice. I'm getting caramel, and nuts. A little bitter, but nothing overpowering.

M: Light and smooth, perfectly carbonated.

D: Very drinkable, could be in trouble at 7% ABV. :) A perfect beer to enjoy during those cold winter nights, job well done for the 47 peeps at Full Sail.

12-31-2009 01:26:51 | More by xybreeder
anotherpg

4.47/5  rDev +17%

Winter Ales tend to be dark (good) and full of nutmeg and crap I wouldn't otherwise want in my beer (bad). Full Sail avoids the trappings, giving a dark, hoppy, malty winter ale that stands up to sitting around the fire. The color is dark caramel, the malts are complex, the balance just right at 7%abv. What stands out is how easily drinkable and enjoyable this is. A perfect seasonal brew. I could not ask for more.

12-05-2010 01:56:00 | More by anotherpg
hyuga

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

2002 release. Very nice looking brew. A dark, dark red body, almost brown, very much like the color of a barleywine. The head is light tan (also like barleywine) and retains exceptionally. Aroma is that of pine and Christmas tree-like hops, very nice touch, I was waiting for a Christmas beer that was hopped like this. Combined with that is a toasted malt, making a very unique aroma. Just a touch of fruitiness is in there as well. As for the flavors, wow, this is very unique as well. The hops are definitely American-style, while the malt is very English. Hops are more spicy here, with the Christmas tree/pine character being more of an undertone. A bit of citrus is noticeable as well. The malt is toasted, sweet, and bread-like. In addition to all of that, I'm getting some dried fig. Excellent beer, very drinkable. Definitely much more than I was expecting from it. I'll definitely have this again, and again, and again...

12-18-2002 00:16:01 | More by hyuga
dnichols

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

I poured a 12 ounce capped bottle into a 12 ounce commemorative mug from Brugge, Belgium.

A: It poured a deeply dark brown body that when back lit was brightly cherry. There was a moderate head that was inhibited by my gentile pour, however, the head supported a nice lacing that followed the brew down the side of the glass.

S: It had a distinct aroma of brown sugars and toasted malts accented by dark fruits (e.g., plums).

T: It begins with a subtle warm sweet taste of toasted malts and brown sugar followed by a hint of dark fruits and the tang of spices. None of the spices dominate making the flavors balanced across the palate. The alcohol is well hidden yet help the brew finish clean and providing a warm glow that welcomes the next swig.

M: Medium-bodied and well balanced. There is a nice hop spice bite that is well balanced with the sweet toasted malts, the ABV is sufficient to warm and clean the palate but not overpower the brew, and from beginning to end of each swig the flavors remain clean and balanced.

D: This is a fine winter warmer. It nailed the warmer element and presents a well crafted balance between sweets and spices that are reminicent of Wassail without loosing the essential "beerness" of the brew.

11-15-2007 05:01:47 | More by dnichols
RedBiddy

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

I love this beer. I had to hold it up to the window to peek through the beer. The view of my neighborhood seemed to be filtered by the sepia setting on my camera. Perfect lacing. I wish I could comment more on the smell but my nose is stuffed up. The taste was wonderful - Angels at a track meet stomping all over my tastebuds. My mind chased the bitter, smokey, sweet and malty tastes swirling in my mouth cave. Each swallow is like a curtain opening down my throat with exciting sensations. Damn, I love this beer.

12-02-2011 18:38:50 | More by RedBiddy
Eisen

4.51/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a rich dark red with a thin white head and thin lacing. Smells of dark fruit and chocolate. Tastes as it smells with a wonderful warming from the alcohol. The hops and alcohol balance out the strong malt backbone to create a very balanced and very delicious ale. Definitely one of the best winter warmers available, especially for the price.

12-13-2013 01:19:24 | More by Eisen
Braz

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not sure if the recipe on this changes every year or not but this is the 2012 version. Beautiful nutty brown color, clear and has small bubbles coming up from bottom entire time. Aromas of raisin, prune and dark fruit. Roasted smell too, with a creamy light tan head. Leaves a nice lace on glass. Sweetness strikes first, touch of vanilla and I get a hint of citrus zest. Spicy flavors follow with black pepper and a general nuttiness. Finish is a roasted coffee bitterness. Has a nice warming effect and a sort of foamy volume to it. One of the best winter warmers I've had so far.

01-07-2013 02:54:53 | More by Braz
DrBrewDay

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%

Served in a bottle at ~45F

Appearance- Deep brown/red. Transluscent with ruby highlights. Thick Ivory persistent head

Aroma- Floral, earthiness, roast like bittersweet chocolate, slight alcohol

Flavor- Malt and roastiness at the begging, feeling very full. The bitterness then comes in and evens out the malt flavors. The hop flavors, for me, come in at the end..lots of floral notes. Finish is dry but full with the floral hop flavor mixed with the roast

Mouthfeel- Medium. Carbonation appears good. Slight pleasant alcohol warmth at the end.

Overall- One of my favorite winter seasonals.

02-19-2013 19:06:24 | More by DrBrewDay
cdicanio

Connecticut

4.55/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown with a thin foam that settles on top. The color turns to red quickly. It has a great nutty, caramely aroma and with a taste to match. Rich, with a strong taste of candied walnuts and a pleasing foamy, and just a bit bitter finish. This is a great beer.

Serving type: nitro-bottle

11-06-2012 00:59:40 | More by cdicanio
spoots

4.58/5  rDev +19.9%

2005 is an excellent year for this beer. I enjoyed last year's bottling, but this one is a gem.

Pours a gorgeous clear roan color with a long-lasting, two-finger head and plenty of lacing. Lots of life in this beer. The smell is deliciously balanced.Yes it's hoppy for a winter warmer, but the malt is right there to balance the aroma. Superb nose on this one.

The taste is pure heaven...malt, cinnamon, more malt, chocolate. Lots of volume, and nothing left behind. The flavor just goes on and on.

Mouthfeel is creamy, dense, complex. Finish is long and satisfying.

I absolutely love this beer. Superb!

11-21-2005 04:56:54 | More by spoots
oldfashioned

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +21.2%

Picked a sixer of these up from the local liquor store for a mere $5.50. This is one of my favorite "Winter Warmers" I've tried yet. Wassail pours a nice dark bronze with an average amount of foam. The smell is pine and sour fruit. The taste is what really set this one apart for me: it starts out pretty hoppy and a little spicy (just the right amount of carbonation to give a pleasant mouthfeel, too) and then mellows out with a really nice malty sweetness. Even though this one is 7%, I don't pick up any alcohol burn. This is a really well balanced and well executed version of the Winter Warmer, and may compete with Great Divide's Hibernation for top of the class (in my opinion). I feel guilty for only paying $5.50 for this stuff!

01-28-2011 01:13:13 | More by oldfashioned
sinistersteve

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +22.5%

2002 version:

Well, I need to quit hitting these winter beers so damn early in the season, but my self-controll seems to still be on summer vacation. This is another exceptional winter beer. Super dark color which is very difficult to get any amber tones off of, but not as black as Gunniess. Nice piney scent and the taste is out of this world. Good full-flavor hoppiness to this outstanding beer. This is a great winter brew sureto keep me warm through the long and cold rainy season out here in the PNW.

10-09-2002 22:25:33 | More by sinistersteve
Tinfang

4.7/5  rDev +23%

Poured into the usual goblet. Best by 3-17-13 but this six pack will be finished off in the next week. Clear dark amber with a creamy thin head that dissipated fairly quickly. Aroma of malt and slight spiciness which might be hops. Mmmm hops! This is one of the best beers ever to my taste in terms of a strong but not out of control hops flavor with great definition and complexity. Every sip for the first half of the glass revealed new dimensions. The malts complement them perfectly with a sort of toasted cookie quality. Mouthfeel was substantial but not thick and the lingering hops presence was a bonus.

I wish the FSB website had more details on the recipie. I'd really like to know specifically what went into this divine brew. Tried this last year and was highly ambivalent, but this year's batch is really memorable.

10-14-2012 22:14:28 | More by Tinfang
marc956

This has been my favorite winter beer (even more so than Sierra Nevada's) ever since I first tried
it in Portland OR a few years ago. Lots of flavor
and pairs with different kinds of food, as does a
good wine. Highly recommended - even if like me, you live somewhere with warm winters.

05-17-2010 04:42:40 | More by marc956
hissy

Oklahoma

OMG! This is simply excellent. I am also one that judges by style. I don't compare a craft against adjunct. Its apples to apples with me. This is one great beer period! I had mine in a frosted mug. The beer was just chilled not cold and the first drink was heaven. It is well balanced and full of flavor. Try it before it is no longer availible.

12-04-2012 01:59:52 | More by hissy