Session Lager | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

ABV 5.1% IBU 18

Added by mattmaples on 05-17-2005

Reviews: 472 | Ratings: 1,133
3.64/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

11oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Best by date of 10/29/13.

A: Dull straw golden color. Bone white head settles quickly. A thin, broken ring of lacing is all that remains of it.

S: Crackery malt base. Sweetish pilsner malt. Subdued grassy and floral hops. Very clean.

T: Doughy pilsner malt taste at the outset. Bready. Bone dry and crackery after a moment. High attenuation. Very mild oily, floral hopping. Clean. Bready finish.

M: Very light in body. Quality malts lend a soft creamy texture. Aggressive scrubbing carbonation. Crisp.

O: At 5.1% abv, purists are going to have a cow when they see the word 'session' on the label. Still, sessionable is absolutely what this beer is. Certainly not a thinking man's beverage, but it is very drinkable and pleasing in its simplicity. A good tool to use when trying to bridge the gap between macro and craft. The old-timey stubby bottles are a great marketing ploy too.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 11 oz. bottle. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, some sweetness. Taste is crisp, malty, some light hops, refreshing and tasty. Feels light in the mouth and like it's name says, is a good session beer.

3.29/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- pours a clear and pale straw-yellow with a small fizzy white head that reduces, leaving only a small layer skimming the top

S- grainy and toasty malt with a bit of corn sweetness, a whiff of grassy and earthy hop

T- light sweet malt with some grainy flavor, hop flavors are very light, lightly sweet finish. Not much going on

M- light body, low-yet-crisp carbonation, spritzy finish

O- this one was ok, a step above BMC, but very simple and not very pleasing to a craft palate.

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance:
Pale gold color, clear. Good amount of carbonation rising up. Small frothy, bright white head.

Aroma:
Grassy, bready, crisp, clean.

Taste:
Malty, bready, grassy, grainy, just a touch of caramel. Hop bitterness is mild, spicy-floral. Finish is very crisp, clean, a little dry. Body is very crisp and clean, refreshing, semi-dry, well carbonated.

Overall:
It's an outstanding beer. Probably the best basic lager I ever had.

1.49/5  rDev -59.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Somehow or another my extensive previous review was lost before I could send it. I'll make it short and brief. I love my good German lagers- helles, pils, smoke, kolsch as well as my American pales, IPAs, pumpkins, maybe a coffee stout, so I have a fairly broad palate, but truly relish high quality German lagers. Reading the review and the rating I passed on Peroni to get a sixer of this. This was a big mistake. I hate to say it but some of the ratings on this website do not correlate to reality for me.

I kept it real, nostalgic in the bottle, as I have enjoyed many of F.S. ipas. They make a fairly decent ipa for the money and I was excited to try this based on the expert's ratings. Just be reminded, any comparisons to any German lager, even St Pauli or the old Becks is laughable.

Forget appearance, what's the smell? Artificial sweetner w/ a ever so slight corn smell. Think newly brewed rolling rock or the new corn- based red stripe but weaker and watery, not even offering any barnyard hay as rolling rock does. Aspartame combined w/ a watered down new version of red stripe is the best description. Awful.

The taste- dextrin, artificial sweetner, slight cheap corn. It seems like it is lacking the complexity that the addition of rice would give. Asahi, Saigon, Shinghtao have this one beat by far. The sweetness is nauseating and as it warms up the beer sours. Terrible. Coors light please.

Mouthfeel I don't know what to say. This is going too far in reviewing this effluent. Nondescript low carbonation, flat w/ a sickening artificial sweetness. A bit worse than the new red stripe. That's bad.
Overall, I have no idea how this brew got this high of a rating. This is proof the ratings must be taken skeptically b/c anybody in their right mind should know better. Even Warsteiner or St pauli (low end German) stomp this. I guess I didn't keep it brief, but this stuff has tainted my taste buds.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this up a few weeks back at the Buy-Rite in Jersey City. I hadn't had a Full Sail beer in ages and I wasn't even aware that this was brewed by them until I picked up the bottle and saw the logo. It was pretty small but thankfully, there was plenty to enjoy about this and this didn't have the cheap, watered-down, over filled feeling that so many American Pale Lagers tend to feel like. Session would be the perfect word to describe this beer, as I could have easily had another in my sitting.

The pour to this was nice, with a clear, golden hue and head that was frothy before quickly settling down to just a light amount. Not a lot of lacing here and what was visible slid down the sides of my pint glass. Not much of an aroma here either, except for some starchy potato chip and light floral notes. These were repeated in the taste, with a hint of grass and sourness in the back. Not a whole lot of carbonation here but this felt as light as champagne without the bubbles. This had a slick feel to it and it coated my mouth nicely after each sip, without any filler getting in the way. Not as crisp as the Victory Prima Pils but still enjoyable nevertheless.

Had I bought another bottle, that would have gone down right after this. I couldn't even detect the alcohol here and there wasn't any of it that could be detected in the taste. This would be a great beer for the Summer and there's enough body here to shake off the stereotype that a light Lager has to feel overcarbonated and "skunked". I'd certainly buy this again!

3.69/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a pill bottle into a shaker, the beer is a bright, clear, pale-golden coloring with a filmy ring of white on the surface. Aromas of toasted grains and some subtle floral highlights. Flavors are bold and toasty initially, with a slightly bitter and toasted grain follow-up across the palate. Some buttery sweet highlights throughout. The body is effervescent and light, with the carbonation keeping a frothy feel in mouth. Toasted and slightly bitter aftertaste, with a clean, smooth finish. Very easy to drink, and a little smoother than most in this style, but tasty.

3.17/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The short, stubby bottle fits my lifestyle perfectly. After drinking lots of beer on a hot summer night, I am used to grabbing short things.

The fact that the bottle only contains 11 fluid ounces instead of the usual 12 is OK with me, as I usually spill about one ounce from the Longnecks when I dive into the Mosh Pits.

For a summer beer, I really like it. A refreshing, no nonsense lager from a respectful craft brewery that is priced amazingly close to the Factory Beers.

3.74/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a mix case of this and black session at Breski in Harrisburg, enjoyed this stubby brown 12oz bottle in a mug chilled.

The color is bright golden with excellent clarity and thick white head with average bead and lace sticks well with carbonation visible in the lager. The smell is very malt oriented with a light sweet aroma and slight spice from the yeast with mild toasted odor. The feel is good, but seems a lot fuller than most of the style with chewy malt and slightly creamy yeast with mild spice from the hops and mostly dry finish.

The flavor is very good with nice malt toastiness and slight yeasty flavor in the middle with a gentle spiciness in the hops without much alcohol in the taste. The beer is not complex but it fits the style well. Overall I say it is a good west coast lager which is not a common style being put out by craft brewers..I like it.

3.16/5  rDev -13.9%

Classic golden lager color, though perhaps less pale than is common. Very average head and carbonation. Lightly spritzy in the mouth. A slight beery aroma. The flavor is nondescript, but I would call it "gummy." A slight bitterness at the end. A grainy taste of something like corn. Quite drinkable, it just seems to lackluster and not even crisp.

Considering how great the lagers in the Limited series are, this is a bafflement. Even if it was 4.1% instead of 5.1, it would still taste anemic. It's hard to beat the industrial breweries at the game they invented. From the 12 oz stubby bought at Trader Joe's. "Enjoy by" date is 10/08/13.

3.86/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Full Sail Session Lager 5.1% abv
Appears fizzy yellow golden with a thick white head fine speckled lacing left behind. Aroma has a great light cereal grain kick with just a kiss of hops light malt sweetness rolls so crisply across the palate great summer beer I need a case! The flavor is light refreshing and everything I love about beer this is super fresh! Beautiful constructed light bodies no frills lager, so good when it's your lips it might have u streaking like Frank the Tank.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Yellow-gold color with fine frothy head that stands up. Moderate head retention. No chill haze, nice and clear.

Clean approach to a lager without the DMS. Mildly sweet malt aroma with bread dough notes. Some deeper tones from the bread crust. Very light citrus and fruitiness deep in the background.

Again, nice and clean on the palate with round malt notes that have some sweetness without being too much. Very gentle bitterness to balance out the malt. The fruitiness is a little more pronounced in the mid-palate than it was on the nose and the finish returns to the toastiness of bread crust.

Moderate weight in the mouthfeel with the balance between malt and bitterness doing a nice job pushing the flavors all the way through the palate. Relatively soft and definitely smooth.

5.1% alcohol pushes it up against what would seem to be the limit for a true session beer, but it was obviously done with purpose. Really a nicely made lager that is a cut above what is offered in its class by the big boys.

Running the grill during your summer BBQ and want to keep it under control for the duration? This beer should be in the cooler for you.

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%

Golden lager color with not much head of which to speak. Aromas of sweet yeast and grain and a flavor is much the same: grain and bread. Has a very crisp body with some heft to it. I saw someone liken this to a German lager and they're exactly right.

3.79/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I purchased this brew at a local chain grocery on sale for $12/12 pack. These were 11 oz little "Red Stripe" or "PBR" bottles. 11 oz???

This beer poured a clear light to medium yellow with a white 2" foamy head that dissipated after about 2 minutes to a thin top layer that styed though out the drink.

The aroma was a nice clean malt with a very slight fruity hop note.

The taste was a nice clean malt flavor, followed by some light hop bitterness. There was some residual sweetness, but not the cloying kind. With good carbonation and a medium mouth feel, the beer was relatively crisp and very drinkable.

I find most Euro lagers to be a little more crisp, dry, and with more hop bitterness. This one had a little more sweetness and a little less hop bitterness in comparison. For an American lager, I find this one to be one of the better I've had. I enjoyed it and I would buy this again as well as recommend it for someone looking to transition to craft beer.

3.67/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance-Pours a crystal clear golden color with a one finger white head that fizzles out fairly quickly. Upon fading there is a thin layer of fizzy looking lacing left on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is heaviest of a grainy malt smell mixed with some aromas of hay and a lighter aroma of citrus lemon hop and a bit of an herbal aroma.

Taste – The taste begins crisp with a grainy and bready taste. There is a lighter level of a caramel sweetness upfront, which gets stronger as the flavor advances further. Other sweeter flavors come to the tongue as well being of a corny and light fruit flavor of apple and pear. Toward the end a flavor of some citrus hop as well as a bit of grass bitter the brew some, leaving, a crisp and balanced taste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- Te body of the brew is thin and crisp with a carbonation level that has lot s of little carbonation bubbles although it is not really overly carbonated. The carbonation and thinner body make it rather refreshing and suit the nice crisp feel of the brew.

Overall- This is a very easy drinking and refreshing brew, coupled with a more moderate alcohol level it is just what a session style brew should be (although the abv may be a little on the high side for a session, ah but…). Rather nice.

4.99/5  rDev +36%

I found this beer by mere chance. I was at my local grocery store, and the name of the beer begged me to give it a try!! I`m so glad I did!!

A .. Very nice golden color, pours up beautifully, nice lacing throughout the beer

S.. Not a whole lot of aroma, but nonetheless, it is pleasing, and reminds me of fresh made bread.

T.. Very nice and quenching, not overly bitter, nor sweet. Very pleasant, and finishes dry, wich is delightful.

M.. A very satisfying mouth feel going on here. Not to heavy, not watered down, but just right!

O.. Overall .. I love this beer!! Its not overly complicated, and really hits it spot on!! Price is very affordable!! This is my new go to beer hands down!!

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Pretty standard looking crisp bright yellow, yet not much head just a finger that reduces to lace ring.
S - Corn hush and lager yeast. Mild skunk and hops. Nothing outstanding but it doesn't smell offensive.
T - Not that bad it has some moderate hops, lager yeast and sweeter malts. In a way though it's kind of bland as well.
M - Light and crisp on par with session.

Overall not as interesting as the session black lager but a step up from BMC.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

11 oz. Snub Nose bottle. has freshness date.

A: Clear golden yellow, slightly pale. Small white head. Not much retention nor lacing.

S: Typical pale lager. Grass, grains and sweet malts. has a little bit of a floral kick to it.

T/M: Mostly clean and light on taste. Sweet malts and hop bitterness balance well.
More grains come in and the finish is on the dry side. Light bodied and impressively
crisp.

O: What it lacks in taste it makes up for on feel and overall drinkability. The taste is
pretty basic but is strong enough to complement the easy crisp drinkability. I see this
as a good summer beer and one I could easily Session.

Cheers!!

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Full Sail Session Lager pours a clean and crisp golden color with a quickly diminishing white head. The nose consists of pale malt, grain, and hints of corn are met with just a touch of honey. Cracker and biscuit malt flavors are well met with a hint of honey and a touch of hops to provide a good balance. Moderately carbonated, this sessionable is both crisp and sharp for a lighter bodied brew.

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

11oz stubby bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Straw colored with a short white head that dissipates quickly. Excellent clarity and lively carbonation.

Nose
Cracker, Pilsner malts and lemongrass with hints of corn.

Taste
Cracker-like malts with a light caramel drizzle. Slight hints of Pilsner malt and lemongrass.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied, crisp, clean and refreshing.

Overall
Not too much going on...but hella-refreshing.

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

When I cut grass I drink LaBatts. When I cut grass now I'm hoping to drink Session. What an awesome beer.
It was clear, clean with a bright straw color. Thin head on top fades. gentile carbonation. It looks like you want to drink it.
The aroma is crisp and malty like those other beers.
Drinks refreshing good with a crisp malty taste, like a good pils. has a grainy finish.
Smooth and crisp on the palate.
I like this beer. It tastes great and is less filling. Plus the cap said "tools required" how awesome is that.

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I was at a bottle share recently where someone told me that Full Sail was coming to PA and I thought, "Yeah, Philly, as usual and no thought to us outliers." Boy, was I wrong! I am seeing Full Sail beers everywhere and I could not be more excited. I have loved their lineup ever since the Oregon Brewers Fest in 2007 and I have the proper tools as required on the crown cap. I love the throwback look of the stubby bottle which only increases its portability as it can be hidden in a lot of places to sneak past security and other such constabulary.

I went bananas with my pour and almost caused it to overflow the glass. Whoops! Two fingers of rocky, bone-white head with great retention were the result. Color was sunshine-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. Nose was grassy, biscuit malty and just as I remembered it. Mouthfeel was medium and the grassiness of the hops reminded me of fresh-mown lawn. Come on, warm weather! It is three days into Spring 2013 and it is colder than some days this past Winter. Grrr. It is a good thing that I have beer. I anxiously await the opportunity to begin mowing my backyard again after laying grass seed last summer. I digress. Man, was this beer going down quickly! I really liked the way the malt got out of the way of the hops until the extreme finish and offset them just enough to be considered semi-dry. Dry should be reserved for American IPAs while lagers should exhibit at least a little sweetness. Welcome to PA, Hood River, OR! I hope that you plan to stick around.

4.27/5  rDev +16.3%

This Beer does for me what I wish the Macro Brews did. That is to offer a refreshing yet flavorful "light" Beer that doesn't reek of cereal Grains. Session also offers a nice mouthfeel for this type of beer. Subtle and nice beer. Really nice!

3.41/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A - straw colored with active carbonation

S - Smell is nothing special; hard to find distinct flavor notes. Sweet/lemongrass. Reminds me of many American Adjunct Lagers I've had and of course not really enjoyed.

T - Taste is surprising considering the lack-luster smell. Light citrus flavor with significant sweetness. Typical lager flavor with a tinge of hop character .

M - Medium body with stimulating carbonation

O - Good lager especially for the price (11.95 for a 12-pack of stubbies at HEB in Texas)

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I have had this beer before, and have tried the Black Lager and the Fest offering. That is their seasonal beer, and they all taste pretty much the same. I didn't realize the caps had rock, paper, scissors on them… so I am learning! This is a beer that sells well here in Arizona because this is light, crisp, and easy to drink on a hot summer day. The days here get hot… REALLY hot. But this was in the fridge, and we wanted to review a second beer today. So let's drink!

In the Glass: It looks pretty boring, highly carbonated, and almost like any other domestic beer I've ever had. Imagine pouring a Bud Light into a glass. Yep. That is what this looks like. A light white head does hover on top, but there is little lace. I don't expect this to be great. This would be a beer that would be great with food. There is pizza in the kitchen. Maybe I will grab a slice.

Nose: It smells like liquid yeast. There is a subtle sweetness there, but pretty much just smells like yeast. This is a low ABV beer, and something I feel I could chug all day long. It's a session beer, after all. Hence the name!

Flavor: It is better than I expected it to be. There is a bunch of sweetness toward the end, and the finish is really nice. It is easy to drink, and VERY chuggable… but I do not remember this having so much flavor. There are a lot of bubbles, but it is not overly carbonated. My favorite part is the finish/aftertaste. But we will get to that!

Mouthfeel: There are a bunch of bubbles on the middle of the palate, but they balance out well toward the finish. It is very easy to drink, and I can seriously see myself chugging 5 or 6 of these during a round of golf. I am playing golf tomorrow, so maybe I will pack a cooler! For a buck a bottle, I am shocked more golf courses don't serve this. Now that I think about it, I am not sure any bars or restaurants serve this. Glad Total Wine & More has it!

Aftertaste: This is my favorite part of the beer. It finishes sweet, the bubbles become balanced, and the burp is delightful. The sweetness is what I like. I do like sweets, from wine to beer, even cocktails… It's not overly sweet, but a hint toward the finish. Every time I swallow, the aftertaste lingers, but the sweetness is still obvious and somewhat drying.

I haven't bought this beer in a while… but I might have to get some the next time I am at Total Wine. I am serious about taking this to the golf course! If you want a good replacement for a domestic (and yes, you DO), give this a try. Grab a single bottle of this and the Black Lager so you can compare these two stubbies. Ha. That sounds dirty!

Session Lager from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub