Dubbel - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

No picture uploaded.

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

Dubbel |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: John_M on 12-12-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
jdense

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap at Harborside Taproom 11/26 poured into chilled pint glass.

Amber brown brew, minimal head and lacing. A bit of chill haze, cleared up once the glass warmed. Big bready malts in the nose, no hops. Pretty sweet taste, firm malt backbone. Not much hop presence to speak of. Dry finish. Decent tasting brew, but not that interesting.

11-28-2009 23:24:52 | More by jdense
ccrida

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

12 oz. shaker glass on draught at the Pilsner Room, the dubbel is a murky light brown with a small, creamy off-white head that leaves a pretty heavy foam coating.

Smell is sweet caramel malt and candi sugar, with a bit of spicy yeast as well, more so once it warms from the coors light serving temp!

Taste is very spicy and not as sweet as the nose, still malty, but more toffee then caramel. Lots of abby yeast character, peppery and mildy phenolic, with a firm but clean alcohol presence and lingering, bitter aftertaste. Quite a different experience then John had, I wonder if they read his review and changed up the recipe, or maybe it's just the same batch 4 months later and the yeast has started to overtake the malty sweetness for the better. Either way, I thought it was a pretty good dubbel, which are not often attempted out here, and even less often that good (ugh, Pike, please retire that beast!), and am happy to see Full Sail continue to try more Belgian styles. Incidentally, I also had a glass of the "Belgian Pale", which I would not review favorably had I taken notes or been given *any* information from the bar staff, who only thought "all our beers are 5-8%ish." It was just a grainy mess that I'll maybe revisit and formally review if I can find out more info, though I'm really in no hurry to do so, I didn't even finish it!

MF is very creamy, with a dry finish.

Drinkability was pretty good, I thought it was tasty, had plenty of yeast and alcohol character, and still light-bodied enough to slurp down with ease. I've had this a couple of times now, and will probably have it again next time I'm back. I give them bonus points for going for it, more Belgians please, PDX brewers!

04-15-2008 18:21:31 | More by ccrida
John_M

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

It's beers like this that make me wonder if Full Sail tends to over extend themselves sometimes. They already brew just about every known style under the sun, but I guess they figured they hadn't yet brewed a dubbel, so why not. Problem is, the beer is a bit simple and really is not one of their better efforts.

The beer pours a copper color with with average head retention and lacing. The beer smells quite malty and sweet, and frankly comes across as rather simple and one dimensional. To no great surprise, the flavors on the palate replicate the nose. The beer is very malty and sweet and I don't get a lot of spice. The beer is medium bodied and drinkability is fine. However, it's not particularly interesting and the sweetness hurts the drinkability a bit.

A nice enough beer, but not nearly as interesting as the other Full Sail beers I sampled on my last trip to the Riverplace tap room. I've never seen this beer before and frankly, would be just as happy if Full Sail doesn't brew it again.

12-12-2007 15:29:16 | More by John_M
Dubbel from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.