Black Gold Imperial Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged (Brewmaster Reserve) - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Black Gold Imperial Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged (Brewmaster Reserve)Black Gold Imperial Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged (Brewmaster Reserve)

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.60% ABV

3rd Release - 2013 (9.6% ABV)
2nd Release - 2011 (11.4% ABV)
1st Release - February 2009 (10.5% ABV).

After its initial release in February 2008, this Imperial Stout was aged for about 10 months in Bourbon casks from Kentucky.

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 02-02-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

11-15-2011 00:06:31 | More by djbreezy
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.97/5  rDev +24.9%

Pours mahogany/black witha 3 fingers+ mocha colored head. Very good lacing and head retention

Smell: Oaky, vanilla, & bourbon notes

Taste: Bourbon notes, vanilla, slight nutiness, slight grainy bitterness witha dry fruitty finish.

MF: Rich & creamy woth perfect carbonation levels

Super drinkable for the strength. I love this style & this easily one of the best I've tried. Enjoy

03-21-2006 05:52:00 | More by russpowell
dfitch81

4.88/5  rDev +22.6%

As a rule I only write reviews while I drink the beer being reviewed but I'm going to make an exception this time because I need to let you, dear reader, know how awesome Black Gold is. I had two bottles of this hiding away for a special occasion, and the night before my wedding, weekend before last, fit the bill just fine. What did I find? Complexities are wonderfully abundant: you can, for example, taste the bourbon, which has its own distinct nuances, but it remains harmoniously integrated within the palate. Oozing evidence of master craftsmanship from every figurative pore, Black Gold is a great masterpiece. I had a bottle of Abyss a few days later, and it was excellent too, but I'd actually give the nod to Black Gold. If you think that sounds like blasphemy, then try both before you start throwing stones. Black Gold is certainly hard to get a hold of; if you see some grab it immediately because it sprints off store shelves like a cheetah with its ass on fire. And the cheetah - flaming ass and all - would never entertain you as much as Black Gold will. Cheers.

04-29-2009 05:18:38 | More by dfitch81
GhettoFabulous

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

I poured a bomber of this into a four ounce styrofoam cup procured from a nearby water tank during a wedding after-party at a cheap hotel. It is unfortunate to drink a beer this nice out of such a deplorable container, but if MacGyver was a beer advocate, I'm sure he'd approve of this improvisation given the limited options available.

These bottles are absolutely gorgeous, juxtaposing darkness against shimmering gold like the magical ticket Charlie lands to see the Chocolate factory. This beer pours with a head that rapidly disintegrates, proudly flaunting its dark black color in the fashion its name sake promises.

It smells of bitter chocolate and bourbon, which is exactly what I was hoping for. The first sip reveals more bitterness, but it smooths out pleasingly by the time this beer slides down your gullet. And it slides rather easily for a bourbon-barrel aged stout.

The viscosity of this beer is very much on the light side, which was at first off-putting, as it disassociated my pallet from the thick b.a. imperial stouts I've grown to love. After a few styrofoam cups of black gold, however, I learned that its relatively thin mouth feel is an asset, as you can drink a ton of this stuff without getting the icky-sticky mouth feel that many b.a. stouts leave with you with. This has the flavor of a sludgy bourbon-tinged stout, yet is practically thirst-quenching, which lends the beer a surprising asset that I've never experienced in this genre of brew.

The flavors are absolutely stellar. The bourbon plays off the chocolate bitters and patina of vanilla with soothing balance. There also seem to be some subtle notes of anise but this is really carried by the bourbon and the chocolate, which is just fine considering how triumphantly these flavors carry the beer.

This is an amazing bourbon barrel aged russian imperial stout that belongs in my belly as often as possible.

03-01-2011 01:49:39 | More by GhettoFabulous
Bfarr

4.83/5  rDev +21.4%

Dark brown with thin umber head, no retention or lacing and a little bubbly. Bourbon booze, chocolate mint, and oak aromas. Boozy malt sweetness with substantial oak. Bourbon, chocolate mint, licorice, vanilla, and light coffee. A little syrupy, semi dry finish. Slick mouthcoating and good fuzziness.

Good warming but low alcohol taste. Sublimely alcoholic and flavorful that is easy to drink. The vanilla oak flavor really shines through with a ton of extra flavors. I tried to get every last drop and was sad to see it go and really wish I hadn’t missed the opportunity to get it on tap at the Porterhouse. It was a superb “dark passenger” to accompany the fourth season of Dexter.

05-21-2011 22:23:48 | More by Bfarr
kolbe

4.83/5  rDev +21.4%

Sweet jesus.

I picked up a bottle of this along with a whole bunch of other stouts one day when I was feeling in the mood. I am not sure why I do that, as there is no way I will make it through 6 bombers of motor oil stout before I want to try something else, but alas...

I got around to popping this open the other day. Wow.

The aroma: incredible. Vanilla, oak, all that. Smells like something I'd like to spray around my house.

The pour: awesome. Black as night, little bit of a head to it, but not for long. Carbonation is perfect.

The taste: what! This is insane. This beer is delicious, and I couldn't slow myself down despite wanting to keep drinking it forever. It's like some sort of physically improbable coincidence whereby a tastebud's most ridiculous fantasies have been converted into a sludge that made its way into my goblet.

I mark down your drinkability, Black Gold, because I ought not want to drink you so fast.

I have actually had trouble concentrating for the last few days because I've been thinking about this beer. I just got a couple more bottles from the store today and I think their supply is getting low. Better to have loved and lost... but I hope Full Sail keeps this one coming around year after year, and I hope it turns out at least this well next year.

03-25-2006 05:59:36 | More by kolbe

knchngchn

01-10-2014 02:22:52 | More by knchngchn
SeanDonahue

Brewmaster's Reserve 2013:

The color of this beer is an ominous black with very little light getting through it. There was about a finger of a head after the initial pour that dissipated quickly. Big alcohol legs on this beer as well being at 9.6% ABV.

The smell hits you pretty hard. First, off, there are big bourbon notes in this one. Most of the aroma in this one is of bourbon but you get a mix of malts and even some raisin notes similar to Dogfish Head's Raison D'Etre.

As for the taste, this beer's consistency compares to that of Guiness, light but with big flavors. There is that hit of bourbon right in the beginning. Following that, there is a bit of a coffee aftertaste.

Overall, this is a solid beer that would be perfect for any imperial stout lover.

07-06-2013 02:37:30 | More by SeanDonahue
smccann

New Hampshire

05-20-2013 12:39:36 | More by smccann
franksnbeans

4.72/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh baby, this glugs out thick like sludge opaque black with a minimal ring of tan head. Moreso has legs than lace, what a beauty. Smell the bourbon laced vanilla notes along with chocolate. You get a rainbow of taste with a start of big sweet chocolate malt, then non boozy bourbon washes it away, then a little dark fruit covered by vanilla chocolate bourbon if such an animal exists. A warming full mouthfeel that commands you enjoy a delectable sip at a time. An apartif beer for the connoiseur.

12-15-2007 04:49:16 | More by franksnbeans
rkuhnel

4.72/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

23 oz bottle dated 2008. This category says 2006 but I am not going to create a new category just for a new year. I served this at my 55 degree cellar temperature. Very black color with a small foamy brown head. Good lacing. Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Nose is like whiskey and chocolate, with other odors of oak, ripe fruit, and vanilla. Flavor is remarkable, with lots of chocolate and alcohol. The finish is bourbon and alcohol. A very unique brew, and one I really liked.

05-26-2008 17:17:35 | More by rkuhnel
imrichbeeeatch

4.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Tasted at tasting room. Pours thick, tan head on top of dark, black beer. Held up to light and could see slight shades of ruby gleaming through. Personally, I like to not see through my stouts. Aroma is unmistakably bourbon. I love it! Wow! Flavor is full bourbon also. Quickly shifts to wood, then chocolate, then quickly back to bourbon. Looking deeply into the glass, I was able to find almond/amaretto flavors, as well as what I could only identify as toasted coconut. Slight alcoholic burn at the end, that's o.k. This is a nice beer. Taste's a little young, could benifit from aging for a short while (three months or so). Well done!

02-22-2006 05:52:54 | More by imrichbeeeatch
Black Gold Imperial Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged (Brewmaster Reserve) from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub