Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve) - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve)Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve)

good

good

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

A Brewmaster Reserve release - Spring 2008

(Beer added by: sinistersteve on 02-25-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve) Alström Bros
Tolann

1.63/5  rDev -54.7%

A - clear amber with a mostly white head that thinned.

S - piney resin smell. Soured apple maybe? Certainly not what I expected.

T - Wrong. This bottle is just wrong. Taste is sour and maybe like something I'd find under the sink. Lysol? This bottle is only being difficult to review.

M - light mouth feel. Some carbonation. Still doesn't make this a good beer.

D - No. Don't do it. Don't think I'll be finishing this bottle and I HATE to pour out a beer. I think picking scabs would be more enjoyable than this bottle.

I respect Full Sail and I greatly appreciate their beers. I hope this was just a bad bottle.

02-07-2009 05:27:16 | More by Tolann
RyanC84

South Carolina

1.65/5  rDev -54.2%

Probably one of the worst Double IPAs I've ever tasted. Split this with two friends and it was a drain pour for everyone.

A: It starts out well. Decent appearance, light orange color with a one finger head that fades very fast.

S: Nose is pretty weak. Some hop smell, but a very biscuit-like nose on this one.

T: Horribly bitter and not in a good Hopsickle kind of way No real hop flavor, not much malt backing, just an onslaught of unpleasant bitterness. What the hell did they do to this beer?

M: The body is pretty light on this one, so I guess that makes it drinkable if you're into this kind of brew.

D: Couldn't finish a third of the bottle. We'll leave it at that.

05-29-2009 17:33:25 | More by RyanC84
senorpoopypants

1.7/5  rDev -52.8%

While not a huge fan of IPA's I have tried several I've enjoyed. While drinking this several nights ago I only got about three tastes of it and could not keep it down. I ended up regurgitating the three sips back into the glass. I have never tasted anything so bitter in my life. The worst beer I have ever tried to drink. If you like seeing what you ate for dinner that night after it's been in your stomach for a couple hours, this beer is for you.

01-03-2010 19:32:20 | More by senorpoopypants
peck95

1.93/5  rDev -46.4%

i find most full sail products to be good and i had last years version of the slipknot and remember it to be much better. So with that i give you my rating of this years version of slipknot
this is one of the first times that i really wasn't impressed with an imperial ipa. the appearance is a very light amber with some decent head retention and lacing that is about the best thing about this beer. the smell is of a very light amount of mildew grass. The initial taste is bad a small amount of bitterness but no distinct hop flavor and some malt sweetness. mouthfeel is light with a little bit of alcohol burn. drinkability to quote my wife "i'd rather have a mgd" coming from her that's bad, although i did finish the 22 oz bomber so i gave it a 2.5

02-09-2009 04:17:23 | More by peck95
HeroJH

Colorado

I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what. But I ended up dumping the last half of my 22oz bottle. I might have to try it again sometime, but some of the other low scores had similar thoughts as I.

A - Medium Gold, low head retention.

S - Sour hop, and B.O.? seriously. I had another person agree on that. So it was similar to being skunky but then add the sour and bitter of the hops.

T - One dimensional. Bitter. Acidic. Seltzer.

M - Finishes sour.

D - Didn't even finish it. And it pretty much blasted my palette so I couldn't enjoy anything else after.

02-03-2009 22:14:27 | More by HeroJH
colts9016

Idaho

2.03/5  rDev -43.6%

Poured into a tulip glass at 51 degrees.

apperance: A two finger tan head that dropped to one finger. The body of the beer is medium copper color with oranish reddish hues. There is some effervescence in the beer. the clarity of the beer is clear.

Nose: A fruity esters on the nose first followed by citrus and pine. There is a nice maltiness with a sublte sweetness.

Taste: A nice fruity esters with citrus and woodiness. There is a slovent flavor in the beer that gives this beer a very harsh flavor.

Overall: The mouth feel of the beer is astringent and slightly carbonated. The body of the beer is medium and finish is awful. This taste like paint thinner and hops. I can't not drink this beer. There is something wrong. Full Sail has never let me down. I am questioning this beer. I didn't care for it.

06-11-2009 01:43:51 | More by colts9016
Arbitrator

2.05/5  rDev -43.1%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Purchased at Whole Foods in San Ramon.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with gold edges. Has a slight off-white head that recedes into a light film on the brew, with some temporary washes of thin lacing down the glass as I drink.

S: When cold, it's largely a pine scent (and taste). As it warms, it develops into a fuller profile that combines a grapefruit, orange, and tangerine citrus hop element with the pine mentioned earlier. Some bread detected as well, but not a heavy malt presence. It's not very pungent, though.

T: Following the nose, it is pine-dominated when cold, but becomes a juicy grapefruit-pine combination when warmer. There is a slight backbone of bready malt, and an unappealing bittering hop finish that coats the tongue slightly.

M: Medium-bodied, with low-to-medium carbonation that brings out the flavors pretty well. A slightly sticky aftertaste; it could stand to clean up the oils a lot better. Well masked ABV.

D: I wasn't a big fan of the aftertaste on this one, so I don't think I'll pick it up again. Too bad. At just over $4, this was a very good value.

05-18-2009 06:31:21 | More by Arbitrator
pmccallum86

2.05/5  rDev -43.1%

Pours an amber orange red golden hazy body with a small head.

The smell is a little strange and off, not sure how to describe it, some hop scent in the nose, but not what you would expect from a DIPA.

The taste is bitter, very bitter and not the good hoppy bitterness. Kind of like a pine cone grapefruit earwax mixture. Really not impressed with this beer. I was looking forward to it as it's my first time trying full sail and I had heard good things, but it is terrible. Worst DIPA to date.

Mouthfeel is acidic and bitter leaving a strange sensation on the tongue.

Not very drinkable, maybe I got a bad batch. Avoid this beer.

11-29-2009 01:51:59 | More by pmccallum86
warmstorage

2.28/5  rDev -36.7%

22 ounce bomber, $3.49 from BevMo Sacramento (Natomas.) No date evident.

Appearance: bright clear orange, almost reddish. Medium dense, medium thicnk light-beige head leaves huge, thick, almost solid lacing. Head stands up. Very solid appearance.

Aroma: limited, hints of citrus, and sweet alcohol & malt. Deeply underwhelming. Once it warms to room temp, there is a bit of lactic acid, reminiscent of Cantillon.

Taste: lemon and orange, slightly soapy and strange. Harsh and slightly hot. Not very pleasant. Tastes more like a strong-ish/hot APA than a DIPA. Like the aroma, at room temp there is a fairly distinct lactic sourness. I love Cantillon, but don't expect or want lactic sourness in a DIPA.

Mouth: Fairly thick and slick. Moderately warm, almost hot. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: A study in contrasts: beautiful visual, but very limited aroma, especially for the style (which is my favorite) and somewhat unpleasant taste. Really not very drinkable at all. I'm glad it was an inexpensive experiment, as I wouldn't bother again.

I actually drainpoured about 2/3 of it, not so much because it's horrible, but because I have a lot of better things to drink.

02-08-2008 00:06:20 | More by warmstorage
boogyman

2.4/5  rDev -33.3%

Picked up a bottle of Brewmaster Reserve 2010 at my local store.

A- Poured a strong copper color with a frothy white head that sticks around. Even after letting it sit for like 5 minutes it still has a strong half finger of head. There are bubbles that are constantly refueling the head which is pretty cool. Lacing looks to be promising. So far this is a good lookin' DIPA.

S- Right off the bat I get strong citric smells including the likes of grapefruit, orange peel, maybe a bit of lemon. I even got some banana going on there. So far a fairly typical DIPA in terms of smell.

T- Interesting... I am being hit on the palate by some unexpected bitter funk. It is almost like a weird mix of malt and hops. I can't really tell what it is but it definitely sticks around on the back of the tongue and mouth. It even kills the smells after drinking it. I kept this beer pretty cold, likely close to 35-40 degrees so I am gonna let it warm up a bit and continue.

...

After letting it sit for about 10 minutes or so, the taste has improved only slightly. There is still this weird funk that I just can't get a handle of and I am not enjoying too much.I have enjoyed many IPAs and IIPAs but this one just is not doing it for me in the taste.

M- Fairly high carbonation brings on a good bite with the strong bitterness. If only the bitterness didn't come with this weird funk.

D- I can't give this a very high rating here either given the taste. I really tried on this one and I will come out and say that IIPA is by far my favorite style but this one was just not that great overall.

01-12-2010 02:48:14 | More by boogyman
aforbes10

Iowa

2.4/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours a clear, slightly tepid brown with a short, vaguely creamy yellow-white head. Smells of pine sol and grapefruit. Aroma loaded with lupulin. Flavor is not too good. Muddled, sort of cardboardy hop flavor and bitterness gropes its way forward though a dry malt base. Bitterness very dry and astringent...becoming even more so towards the finish, almost overbearing. Alcohol obvious and not complementary to the rest of the flavor. Just too much bitterness with a poor, almost weak flavor beneath. Medium to full bodied. Not a winner here. I feel badly because i sent one to a beer buddy of mine (sorry Konrad).

02-24-2009 04:55:34 | More by aforbes10
bunnyhustle

2.42/5  rDev -32.8%

I've never had a Full Sail beer that I particularly like (their barleywine is ok at least) but I keep wanting to try. Especially with the Brewmasters Reserve stuff. This, was another let down. I think its their IPA in a different bottle. Appearance was fine, a deep ruby/cooper color going with decent head and retention. Smell was dry malt, barely any hops. Though I know this isn't the least bit specific it almost just smelled dirty. Taste was no better. Hops were noticeable, barely, but really all I mainly got was a dry, biscuit malt with lots of earth tones. Earth tones here is my way of saying dirt. I really want to think this was infected, but I don't think so...I think it just wasn't good. Mouthfeel was fine, not too light, not thick, carbonation was right on. Overall, just not for me.

03-15-2010 01:47:07 | More by bunnyhustle
brewdoc75

2.45/5  rDev -31.9%

A: Orange with amber hues. Fairly clear, but some opacity. Good lacing. Head dissapates quickly. Carbonation is good.

S: Really not a whole lot, but I do get a hint of orange and citrus. The hops are really nil. I get a slight fruitiness as well.

T: Fruity at first, then it trends to a really harsh bitterness. I get some faint citrus and piney flavors, but really the most powerful flavor I get is the harsh bitterness. I do get some spiciness as well, but without other flavors it doesn't fare well. The malts are barely there.

M: Light to medium bodied. Carbonation is right.

D: I was really suprised about how bad this beer was. I really like Full Sail and they usually produce great beers. I didn't think this was too old, but the flavoring and aroma hops are dead. It does a great job of being bitter, but is a bit harsh. I made a homebrew like this once and drain poored it. I will finish this one, but won't be trying it again. There are so many other DIPAs out there that blow this out of the water.

05-08-2009 14:56:11 | More by brewdoc75
HalfFull

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

A clear and deep orange on the pour. Nice inch of soapy foam settles slowly, holding a thin cap for a while then surrendering to a light ring.

Typical Full Sail nose. Thin hop presence and a unilateral malt nose. Sweet and boring yet kicked up a bit vs. their regular offerings. Opens up a bit with some warming but remains moderate.

Taste is chalky and dry. Not bad, not negative but simply lacking in its ability to garner your attention. Slightly spicy on the finish and feel helps keep things interesting to a degree. No real bitterness on the finish even given the dry nature of the beer.

Malt forward and typical to a degree of Northwest IPA's in my experience. Where are the hops?

03-04-2010 06:45:35 | More by HalfFull
bkilpatr

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. 02/01/09. 2009 version.

Pours a bright golden color with a finger of beige head that quickly disappeared. The aroma is gross. It smells of a urine-soaked public restroom. I don't smell any hops or malt at all. Even as it warmed the aroma didn't improve.

Fortunately the smell doesn't carry over to the taste. The taste is a barrage of piny hops and bitterness. Not much malt to balance it. Somewhat earthy in the taste. Pretty one-dimensional, just hoppy and bitter, not that great.

Feel is slick and full-bodied with ample carbonation. Drinkability suffers from the poor taste and smell. I don't even want to finish the bottle.

Overall, a fairly poor imperial IPA. Unbalanced and the smell is just awful. Not recommended.

02-02-2009 01:19:01 | More by bkilpatr
Mdog

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance: Orange-gold, a slight haze, big head.

Smell: Strange earthy, onion & mustard smell.

Taste: Followed the smell, has a little bit of sweetness and a touch of citrus, but mostly tastes like stone-ground mustard, onion, a little bit of horseradish and black pepper.

Drinkability: Definitely not what I was expecting, but not "nasty" as I like mustard, onion, horseradish, just not in a beer.

I am very curious to know if it the hops, the yeast, or the shipping/storage of this beer that makes it taste the way that it does. I have never had a beer that tasted like this, the closest thing I can compare it to is maybe a IPA mixed with a Belgian or maybe a wild strain of yeast.

03-14-2009 17:16:43 | More by Mdog
beertunes

2.7/5  rDev -25%

This is the 2009 release. Poured into bubble pint glass. Poured a thick, off-white head, consisting of big coarse bubbles on the bottom, with tight, tiny bubbles on top. Lacing was less than expected. Poured a deep straw-light amber color. Aroma is weak for an Imperial IPA, with a tangy, earthy aroma (not in a good way) that is not usually found in this style. That earthy aroma was apparent in the flavor, for lack of a better term, this aroma/flavor is manure. Not that this beer tastes like that, but anyone who has smelled that rich, dusky tang in the air can understand what I'm trying to say. The body is typical for an ImpIPA, could use a little more balance. Nicely drinkable, but I probably wouldn't drink more than one in a row. Try it if you see it, don't go out of your way to get it.

01-26-2009 00:35:44 | More by beertunes
blackearth

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

Purchased from Blue Max Liquors in Burnsville, MN. Pours a dark orange amber body with a puffy off-white head. Aroma is of citrus hops and sweet malt, exactly what you'd expect from a double IPA. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and medium carbed. Flavor is big grapefruit and pineapple hops, and also astringent. The sweetness of the malt make a brief appearance, but quickly disappears as your mouth is coated with hops. As the beer warmed, a stong alcohol flavor came on strong. This one actually got worse towards the end of the glass. I won't be seeking this out again.

01-07-2010 19:16:45 | More by blackearth
Onenote81

2.78/5  rDev -22.8%

2009 Bottle received from breity recently. Thanks!

Pours a clear dark orange with moderate bubbles rising through. Great frothy white head on top that retains very well. Some spotty lacing, very little though. Smells of pineapple, candy, bananas, and cherry malt. Interesting for a Imp. IPA.

Mouthfeel is firm and crisp. Slight wetness on the back end, but drinkable enough. Now the flavor, this I can't figure out. It tastes like an Imperial Cherry cough syrup. This is really sweet and cloying. Tons of sweet fruit all over this. Finishes bitter, but the sweetness just overpowers this beer. This is really strange. The hops are there, but this is severely unbalanced. Not sure about this beer. Approach with hesitancy.

05-01-2009 16:56:26 | More by Onenote81
barleywinefiend

2.8/5  rDev -22.2%

A: Poured a rich golden-copper color, with a white head and fine lacing.

S: The nose was perfumey, with a clean lemon-lime citrus component and a sweet field flower hop boquet.

T: Taste was floral and some citrus, perhaps melon.

M: Awful dry, tannic bitterness,

D: Not so average

12-10-2010 03:34:36 | More by barleywinefiend
Thrasher

2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

Sampled on-tap at Laurelthirst Public House in Portland. I was pretty disappointed by this imperial IPA. Alcohol taste was very strong, and hops were mild. Basically this just tasted like a normal pale ale (not IPA) with a shot of alcohol dumped in. The beer was a handsome darkish amber with good head. Malts were reasonably flavorful, if restrained. Hops were almost invisible. Mouthfeel fine, but again that alcohol reared its ugly head, made it seem less beer-like. The beer gave me a good buzz but ruined my chance of properly tasting any subsequent beers. Full Sail is so masterful at creating everyday session beers that a big beer like this is perhaps not what they are suited for. Not a complete failure, the pint was drinkable for sure, but again a disappointment. After reading sinistersteve's year-old review, I wonder if I might have gotten a similarly bad pour although I didn't notice any soapy notes to speak of. Hiro says it's good and he knows his beer, so I will give it another shot, hopefully poured properly at the Brass in the near future.

02-18-2004 07:49:58 | More by Thrasher
Bighuge

2.85/5  rDev -20.8%

Copper body. Pretty clear. Thin bubbly off white head. Lacing is sporadic. Aroma is resiny, fragrant, minty and smoky. This one has got some bite to it. A bitter pungency, like the bitter pith of a grapefruit. Borderline "off" with a solvent like fusel alcohol feel to it. The bitterness is pretty rough. Juicy and/or fruity hop tones are absent. Did they dump all the hops in at the beginning of the boil?? This seems a little out of whack and doesn't have a lot of body or malt to support the weird bitterness.

04-03-2009 04:04:50 | More by Bighuge
Mebuzzard

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%

A haze with the deep copper color, small to medium head. Semi dense with medium retention.
Bitter smell to it. Pine and wet malt dominate, citrus struggles to grab hold.
Taste follows. More earthy bitterness and misguided hops. For the style this is sub-par IMO. Is it a IIPA or ESB? Bitterness overpowers any flavor. It's not bad, just not put together very well. Butterscotch grabs the finish. Not as crisp as I'd like.

04-18-2007 03:16:18 | More by Mebuzzard
hophead247

2.95/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle...Just an average IPA for me, more of a regular one than an Imperial. Poured a nice clear copper color and instantly the head was gone. The smell was a little on the sweet malty side for me, with a faint smell of hops. Wasn't impressed with the taste, but it wasn't horrible. Didn't taste like an IPA to me, but a stronger amber ale. More of a malt character takes over this ale, and I was expecting at least a 50/50 hops to malt comparison. Easy to drink, but didn't taste like an IPA to me and will pass on it next time

02-22-2009 03:42:03 | More by hophead247
Tupperwolf

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a rather hazy, slightly glowing amber with a thin yellowish head; Little carbonation is visible in the murk, and the head fades immediately to a thin ring that leaves basically no lacing.

The scent is a mish-mash of strong hop aromas - very resinous and marijuana-like, it doesn't take on one aroma over another - there's grapefruit, pine, grassiness, and floral aromas, but they're all muddled up together so that the pretty colors of the smell are just kind of greyish brown. Very hoppy, but a bit unrefined. Heads hoppier than I might find it more pleasing.

The taste is similar - hops are dominant, and there are a lot of flavors there, but they are so mixed up as to just come across as oily, resinous, and bitter. This is how I imagine a regular bone-stock IPA tastes like when run through Randal. As it warms, a few caramel malts peek through, but bitterness beats 'em down.

The mouthfeel is somewhat interesting - this is the first beer I've had that actually does feel like it's stripping the enamel off of your teeth. It's slick and oily, and makes your jaw clench up reflexively with the sensation of the hops. Alcohol is also dominant, not in taste, but in perception - this is the first beer I've had that tastes warm when served at 45 degrees. It literally doesn't feel cold at all, it feels like it's lukewarm in your mouth. Swallowing, oddly, reminds me of swallowing toothpaste. The oiliness foams up with the agitation of swallowing, and it gets all fluffy.

For a beer, this is merely okay. For a double IPA, it's below par. Sorry, Full Sail.

04-03-2006 03:53:11 | More by Tupperwolf
Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve) from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub