Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve) - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve)Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve)

good

good

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

A Brewmaster Reserve release - Spring 2008

(Beer added by: sinistersteve on 02-25-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve) Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

A- clear brown-orange with a quickly dissipating head that didn't lace much

S- hoppy citrus notes (orange peel, grapefruit) that is surprisingly mild underneath

T- bitter and hoppy, with some grapefruit, a little peppery, and two rows of malt, no more

M- thin for the style, with a lingering aftertaste

D- wouldn't be too bad, but the aftertaste kept me from going too fast with it

2.4/5  rDev -33.3%

Picked up a bottle of Brewmaster Reserve 2010 at my local store.

A- Poured a strong copper color with a frothy white head that sticks around. Even after letting it sit for like 5 minutes it still has a strong half finger of head. There are bubbles that are constantly refueling the head which is pretty cool. Lacing looks to be promising. So far this is a good lookin' DIPA.

S- Right off the bat I get strong citric smells including the likes of grapefruit, orange peel, maybe a bit of lemon. I even got some banana going on there. So far a fairly typical DIPA in terms of smell.

T- Interesting... I am being hit on the palate by some unexpected bitter funk. It is almost like a weird mix of malt and hops. I can't really tell what it is but it definitely sticks around on the back of the tongue and mouth. It even kills the smells after drinking it. I kept this beer pretty cold, likely close to 35-40 degrees so I am gonna let it warm up a bit and continue.

...

After letting it sit for about 10 minutes or so, the taste has improved only slightly. There is still this weird funk that I just can't get a handle of and I am not enjoying too much.I have enjoyed many IPAs and IIPAs but this one just is not doing it for me in the taste.

M- Fairly high carbonation brings on a good bite with the strong bitterness. If only the bitterness didn't come with this weird funk.

D- I can't give this a very high rating here either given the taste. I really tried on this one and I will come out and say that IIPA is by far my favorite style but this one was just not that great overall.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

Purchased from Blue Max Liquors in Burnsville, MN. Pours a dark orange amber body with a puffy off-white head. Aroma is of citrus hops and sweet malt, exactly what you'd expect from a double IPA. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and medium carbed. Flavor is big grapefruit and pineapple hops, and also astringent. The sweetness of the malt make a brief appearance, but quickly disappears as your mouth is coated with hops. As the beer warmed, a stong alcohol flavor came on strong. This one actually got worse towards the end of the glass. I won't be seeking this out again.

1.7/5  rDev -52.8%

While not a huge fan of IPA's I have tried several I've enjoyed. While drinking this several nights ago I only got about three tastes of it and could not keep it down. I ended up regurgitating the three sips back into the glass. I have never tasted anything so bitter in my life. The worst beer I have ever tried to drink. If you like seeing what you ate for dinner that night after it's been in your stomach for a couple hours, this beer is for you.

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from 22oz into pint glass....sharing with brother, father and father-in-law...heres what we think!

A: Crystal clear golden yellow hue with a nice frothy two finger head. Appears somewhat creamy with decent lacing.

S: Grapefruit, lemon rind, orange peel, faint piney aroma as well. Faint malt profile raising its head in the background, but the hops dominate the nose.

T: Follows nose almost exactly. Zero malt super clean...tastes like i'm sucking on a grapefruit, dad thinks it tastes like a lambic, hahaha not so much but definitely one note of citrus. Finishes bitter with no sweet malt to help out....long hop finish but needs malt.

M: Very light for an DIPA, barely a medium body but well carbonated. Needs more weight...but very smooth.

D: Very drinkable as it is so light and so one-note...not so impressed...

2.05/5  rDev -43.1%

Pours an amber orange red golden hazy body with a small head.

The smell is a little strange and off, not sure how to describe it, some hop scent in the nose, but not what you would expect from a DIPA.

The taste is bitter, very bitter and not the good hoppy bitterness. Kind of like a pine cone grapefruit earwax mixture. Really not impressed with this beer. I was looking forward to it as it's my first time trying full sail and I had heard good things, but it is terrible. Worst DIPA to date.

Mouthfeel is acidic and bitter leaving a strange sensation on the tongue.

Not very drinkable, maybe I got a bad batch. Avoid this beer.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine Volume II, Issue II:

First installment of their "Brewmaster's Reserve" of 2008 weighing in at 80 IBUs. Hmmm, sounds like someone knows something about bitterness threshold and tastebuds.

Mildly hazed. Orangey honey-colored brew topped with an off-white frothing head with nice lacing and retention. Perfumed nose of orange zest and mint. Fairly light and fluffy in body, and a bit coarse in the mouth. Orange peel and rind hop flavor up front with a distinctly herbal finish. Had enough hops already? Too bad, have some more. Tangy, citric, gland-juicing smack. Green peppercorn. Just a kernel of malt flavor and touch of honey. Resiny, sticky, oily. Herbal bitterness gets rather intense like a strong black tea left to steep too long. Just a breath of alcohol with some apricot and pineapple.
Where's the malt? Dead. The hops killed it, but that's okay because that's what an Imperial IPA is all about. To hell with balance, sometimes.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Imperial IPA-Brewmaster Reserve 2009.

Dark clear orange amber with a nice white head although fades rapidly, comes back thick and puffy with a swirl.

Sweet assertive and pleasant nose of candi sugar and cooked stone fruit.

Mouthfeel is big, thick and creamy.

Flavors of citrus lemon grapefruit that are fresh and clean that go to a pine/pine resin character and then finishes pine and pine resin, as well. Not terribly complex but big hop character, flavors and finish. Nice quality and appears well made, although the more I drink the more the flavors and finish seem a bit "off" and unpleasant.

I might not be able to drink much of this one. I like many beers at room temperature (cool room temperature). This one benfits from a bit of chilling.

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured into a chilled pint glass (in intervals).
Mostly clear, medium copper color with a foamy off-white head.
Smells of pine and kind buds, plus something sweet like a bisquit with white frosting.
Tastes of bitter grapefruit and some bready malt.
Medium body with decent carbonation and a bitterness (which must be from the hops) that stays with me but isn't overly oily.
Nice brew, I could sit back and enjoy one of these in almost any setting and just forget the hustle and bustle that beckons.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured into Sierra Nevada Tulip Pint Glass

Pours 1 and 1/2 finger slightly off white head. Great retention. Leaves some splattered lace. Color is a slight hazy bright orange golden sunset.

Aroma: Musky hops. Dulled down earthy aroma. Some mix of citrus. Something isn't working here. Old bread aroma. Not my favorite smelling dipa.

Taste: A very musky taste. The hops seem to be stale/old. Blend of dull citrus. Musky bread. Almost a sour taste here. Nothing I am enjoying.

Mouthfeel: Very bitter, but it is bitter in a bad way. Medium bodied. A lot of carbonation bubbles coming from the etching. Leaves a sticky hoppy aftertaste.

Overall, this bomber is going slow. I really can't say I like it. I don't want to finish this. Just all around nothing I am a fan of. I won't be getting this again.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

It poured a bit lighter than most Imperial IPAs. The smell wasn't memorable or unique by any sorts: just smelt like hops; nothing wrong with that though! It tasted similar to how it smelt: it had a significant hop taste; the hops tasted bitter but didn't really have a grassy or herbal taste to them but it did have a earthy citrus taste. There was very little presence of malts making the beer very light and smooth: it is easy to drink. It is a good summer imperial IPA. It also is different than most imperial IPAs, which is a plus.

2.03/5  rDev -43.6%

Poured into a tulip glass at 51 degrees.

apperance: A two finger tan head that dropped to one finger. The body of the beer is medium copper color with oranish reddish hues. There is some effervescence in the beer. the clarity of the beer is clear.

Nose: A fruity esters on the nose first followed by citrus and pine. There is a nice maltiness with a sublte sweetness.

Taste: A nice fruity esters with citrus and woodiness. There is a slovent flavor in the beer that gives this beer a very harsh flavor.

Overall: The mouth feel of the beer is astringent and slightly carbonated. The body of the beer is medium and finish is awful. This taste like paint thinner and hops. I can't not drink this beer. There is something wrong. Full Sail has never let me down. I am questioning this beer. I didn't care for it.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

A gift sent to me by a buddy out in Portland.

Pours a hazy amber with 2 fingers of foamy eggshell head into a pint glass. Nice retention and good lacing blotching. Smells of citrus, honey, and toasted biscuits. Tastes of honey, caramel, toasted grains, biscuit, grass, and grapefruit rind with a slight alcohol warmth. Medium in body with good carbonation. Sweet and malty up front with a lingering bitter backend. Enjoyable and lower in alcohol making it pretty drinkable, but lacks that hop punch I really enjoy in a double IPA, very malty.

1.65/5  rDev -54.2%

Probably one of the worst Double IPAs I've ever tasted. Split this with two friends and it was a drain pour for everyone.

A: It starts out well. Decent appearance, light orange color with a one finger head that fades very fast.

S: Nose is pretty weak. Some hop smell, but a very biscuit-like nose on this one.

T: Horribly bitter and not in a good Hopsickle kind of way No real hop flavor, not much malt backing, just an onslaught of unpleasant bitterness. What the hell did they do to this beer?

M: The body is pretty light on this one, so I guess that makes it drinkable if you're into this kind of brew.

D: Couldn't finish a third of the bottle. We'll leave it at that.

2.05/5  rDev -43.1%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Purchased at Whole Foods in San Ramon.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with gold edges. Has a slight off-white head that recedes into a light film on the brew, with some temporary washes of thin lacing down the glass as I drink.

S: When cold, it's largely a pine scent (and taste). As it warms, it develops into a fuller profile that combines a grapefruit, orange, and tangerine citrus hop element with the pine mentioned earlier. Some bread detected as well, but not a heavy malt presence. It's not very pungent, though.

T: Following the nose, it is pine-dominated when cold, but becomes a juicy grapefruit-pine combination when warmer. There is a slight backbone of bready malt, and an unappealing bittering hop finish that coats the tongue slightly.

M: Medium-bodied, with low-to-medium carbonation that brings out the flavors pretty well. A slightly sticky aftertaste; it could stand to clean up the oils a lot better. Well masked ABV.

D: I wasn't a big fan of the aftertaste on this one, so I don't think I'll pick it up again. Too bad. At just over $4, this was a very good value.

2.45/5  rDev -31.9%

A: Orange with amber hues. Fairly clear, but some opacity. Good lacing. Head dissapates quickly. Carbonation is good.

S: Really not a whole lot, but I do get a hint of orange and citrus. The hops are really nil. I get a slight fruitiness as well.

T: Fruity at first, then it trends to a really harsh bitterness. I get some faint citrus and piney flavors, but really the most powerful flavor I get is the harsh bitterness. I do get some spiciness as well, but without other flavors it doesn't fare well. The malts are barely there.

M: Light to medium bodied. Carbonation is right.

D: I was really suprised about how bad this beer was. I really like Full Sail and they usually produce great beers. I didn't think this was too old, but the flavoring and aroma hops are dead. It does a great job of being bitter, but is a bit harsh. I made a homebrew like this once and drain poored it. I will finish this one, but won't be trying it again. There are so many other DIPAs out there that blow this out of the water.

2.78/5  rDev -22.8%

2009 Bottle received from breity recently. Thanks!

Pours a clear dark orange with moderate bubbles rising through. Great frothy white head on top that retains very well. Some spotty lacing, very little though. Smells of pineapple, candy, bananas, and cherry malt. Interesting for a Imp. IPA.

Mouthfeel is firm and crisp. Slight wetness on the back end, but drinkable enough. Now the flavor, this I can't figure out. It tastes like an Imperial Cherry cough syrup. This is really sweet and cloying. Tons of sweet fruit all over this. Finishes bitter, but the sweetness just overpowers this beer. This is really strange. The hops are there, but this is severely unbalanced. Not sure about this beer. Approach with hesitancy.

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer has a slight hazy deep dark orange body with a matrix of tiny bubbles racing to the surface. The head is a thick creamy foam of light beige that last for the full beer. The foam sticks to the glass leaving register marks after each sip.

S- During the pour, green floral hop cones fill the nose

T- The pungent grapefruit hops has herbal overtones with lightly toasted sweet malt underneath supporting it. The finish is a full pungent earthy hop finish with pine bitterness that lingers after the finish.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a creamy texture from the thick head and no real alcohol heat.

D- This beer has a nice big hoppy flavor that is not real complex but has a great freshness to it. There was a bit of tongue fatigue with drinking a whole bottle but I'm not complaining.

4.65/5  rDev +29.2%

I picked-up this bottle of 2009 Slipknot at Marcellars. Holy good Double IPA. This one was a bit on the light side in appearance; it was not ultra cloudy like I expected. It poured with a nice and heavy head that stuck for a while which I didn't expect since it's an imperial. Very very tasty and not too hoppy, but a solid IPA. Very drinkable. Typically I'd have a lawn mower brew when doing some work in the yard and bbq'n, but I went with this one. I needed something decent to open for the first time using my new wall mounted bottle opener in my bar;) This was a great choice! Maybe a longer story that would be appropriate here because it includes a visit w/my pops in Salt Lake City earlier in the day and it was Easter. I returned to Idaho earlier in the day so that my sone and I could enjoy the day at home together. A perfect afternoon; weather and all! So...my notes report "mmm." Tasty with noticeable malts which seem to get run over too often in Imperial IPA's. Give this one a shot. It drinks smooth and fast if you're not careful to remember that it's got punch to it. Pretty light and smooth ride though. I did follow it up with H2O, but moved on to another brew before too much time passed; in other words, it didn't knock me into never never land;) Cheers!

An afterthought here. I just posted my review and then read a couple of others reviews. I bet that I scored this sucker a bit high, but hola! I'm not sure if I had the same brew as some of the other reviewers. This beer, at least in the condition that I got mine in, was a very solid brew; I can see anyone really honestly giving it marks lower than a B. Anyway...just wondering WTF;) Peace!

22 oz bottle poured into Piraat tulip.

Fully diminishing white head with prominent carbonation that disappears within a minute, leaving a rather flat looking orange body. Bitter flavor upfront and long astringent finish with a wee bit of maltish sweetness and a fairly spicy (allspice) taste. Quite frankly I was expecting a bit more from one of my favorite breweries, perhaps I can taste this on tap. Maybe I got a stinky bottle. To be honest, one of the least enjoyable examples of my favorite beer style, imo.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Bomber poured into a snifter.

A-Hazed orange-amber beer. White head, low retention.

S-Resiny and piney hops with a hing of orange-citrus. Fruitiness, almost a nuance of pear.

T-Citrus, then piney hops, slightly herbal malts under it. Subtle and bready malts with hints of semi-sweetness. Slight fruitiness, again with the pear.

M-Medium carbonation. Lighter medium body.

D-Well, it's a pretty tasty hop bomb. Not a spectacular DIPA, and I think it's lacking in ABV and malt backbone for the style. Regardless, it's tasty. And it's pretty affordable.

3.3/5  rDev -8.3%

From Notes: 3/1/09
Full Sail Brewing Co.
Slipknot Imperial IPA
7.8% Alc.
22oz. Bomber

Appearance= Vigorous pour into Zaca Mesa oversize redwine glass. Good deep looking Imperial. Deep orange, Red/brown.

Smell= Good hoppy smell. Typical Imperial smell, just weaker.

Taste= Kinda harsh on the taste. Not bad, just interesting...Overall, I've had much better Imperials.

Mouthfeel= Typical Imperial feel. Pefect for the style.

Drinkability= Moving through the bottle with no problem. Can start to feel the alcohol. I bought this @ Whole Foods in San Ramon and I was surprised to see it there. Would not buy again.

2.85/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Copper body. Pretty clear. Thin bubbly off white head. Lacing is sporadic. Aroma is resiny, fragrant, minty and smoky. This one has got some bite to it. A bitter pungency, like the bitter pith of a grapefruit. Borderline "off" with a solvent like fusel alcohol feel to it. The bitterness is pretty rough. Juicy and/or fruity hop tones are absent. Did they dump all the hops in at the beginning of the boil?? This seems a little out of whack and doesn't have a lot of body or malt to support the weird bitterness.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Straw, semiopaque. Fluffy, beige head, great lace.
Smell: Spicy hops, pine, yeast, malts.
Taste: Grapefruit rind, biscuits. Little bit of sweet malts, little bit of a spicy finish.
Mouthfeel: Tannic, medium bodied, strong carbonation
Drinkability: Pretty good. Finishes dry, not metallic.
Verdict: I could use a little more booze and sweetness. Certainly worth picking up, but not the best in the style.

Edit: Apparently this took a gold in the 2008 World Beer Championship. If your taste is better than mine, you may love this.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to Wasatch for this one.

22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Inch of white head, gradual to recede, minimal lacing. Color is a clear copper.

Smell is full on citrus hops. Fresh rind. Taste is also very hoppy. Very straight forward, and a little one dimensional.

Mouthfeel is clean with a mild carbonation. This seems more like an IPA than a DIPA. Nothing really over the top or exciting. Still pretty good.

Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve) from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub