Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve) - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve)Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve)

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: sinistersteve on 02-25-2003

A Brewmaster Reserve release - Spring 2008
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve) Alström Bros
1.69/5  rDev -52.9%

Probably one of the worst Double IPAs I've ever tasted. Split this with two friends and it was a drain pour for everyone.

A: It starts out well. Decent appearance, light orange color with a one finger head that fades very fast.

S: Nose is pretty weak. Some hop smell, but a very biscuit-like nose on this one.

T: Horribly bitter and not in a good Hopsickle kind of way No real hop flavor, not much malt backing, just an onslaught of unpleasant bitterness. What the hell did they do to this beer?

M: The body is pretty light on this one, so I guess that makes it drinkable if you're into this kind of brew.

D: Couldn't finish a third of the bottle. We'll leave it at that.

2.05/5  rDev -42.9%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Purchased at Whole Foods in San Ramon.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with gold edges. Has a slight off-white head that recedes into a light film on the brew, with some temporary washes of thin lacing down the glass as I drink.

S: When cold, it's largely a pine scent (and taste). As it warms, it develops into a fuller profile that combines a grapefruit, orange, and tangerine citrus hop element with the pine mentioned earlier. Some bread detected as well, but not a heavy malt presence. It's not very pungent, though.

T: Following the nose, it is pine-dominated when cold, but becomes a juicy grapefruit-pine combination when warmer. There is a slight backbone of bready malt, and an unappealing bittering hop finish that coats the tongue slightly.

M: Medium-bodied, with low-to-medium carbonation that brings out the flavors pretty well. A slightly sticky aftertaste; it could stand to clean up the oils a lot better. Well masked ABV.

D: I wasn't a big fan of the aftertaste on this one, so I don't think I'll pick it up again. Too bad. At just over $4, this was a very good value.

2.49/5  rDev -30.6%

A: Orange with amber hues. Fairly clear, but some opacity. Good lacing. Head dissapates quickly. Carbonation is good.

S: Really not a whole lot, but I do get a hint of orange and citrus. The hops are really nil. I get a slight fruitiness as well.

T: Fruity at first, then it trends to a really harsh bitterness. I get some faint citrus and piney flavors, but really the most powerful flavor I get is the harsh bitterness. I do get some spiciness as well, but without other flavors it doesn't fare well. The malts are barely there.

M: Light to medium bodied. Carbonation is right.

D: I was really suprised about how bad this beer was. I really like Full Sail and they usually produce great beers. I didn't think this was too old, but the flavoring and aroma hops are dead. It does a great job of being bitter, but is a bit harsh. I made a homebrew like this once and drain poored it. I will finish this one, but won't be trying it again. There are so many other DIPAs out there that blow this out of the water.

2.81/5  rDev -21.7%

2009 Bottle received from breity recently. Thanks!

Pours a clear dark orange with moderate bubbles rising through. Great frothy white head on top that retains very well. Some spotty lacing, very little though. Smells of pineapple, candy, bananas, and cherry malt. Interesting for a Imp. IPA.

Mouthfeel is firm and crisp. Slight wetness on the back end, but drinkable enough. Now the flavor, this I can't figure out. It tastes like an Imperial Cherry cough syrup. This is really sweet and cloying. Tons of sweet fruit all over this. Finishes bitter, but the sweetness just overpowers this beer. This is really strange. The hops are there, but this is severely unbalanced. Not sure about this beer. Approach with hesitancy.

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer has a slight hazy deep dark orange body with a matrix of tiny bubbles racing to the surface. The head is a thick creamy foam of light beige that last for the full beer. The foam sticks to the glass leaving register marks after each sip.

S- During the pour, green floral hop cones fill the nose

T- The pungent grapefruit hops has herbal overtones with lightly toasted sweet malt underneath supporting it. The finish is a full pungent earthy hop finish with pine bitterness that lingers after the finish.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a creamy texture from the thick head and no real alcohol heat.

D- This beer has a nice big hoppy flavor that is not real complex but has a great freshness to it. There was a bit of tongue fatigue with drinking a whole bottle but I'm not complaining.

4.63/5  rDev +29%

I picked-up this bottle of 2009 Slipknot at Marcellars. Holy good Double IPA. This one was a bit on the light side in appearance; it was not ultra cloudy like I expected. It poured with a nice and heavy head that stuck for a while which I didn't expect since it's an imperial. Very very tasty and not too hoppy, but a solid IPA. Very drinkable. Typically I'd have a lawn mower brew when doing some work in the yard and bbq'n, but I went with this one. I needed something decent to open for the first time using my new wall mounted bottle opener in my bar;) This was a great choice! Maybe a longer story that would be appropriate here because it includes a visit w/my pops in Salt Lake City earlier in the day and it was Easter. I returned to Idaho earlier in the day so that my sone and I could enjoy the day at home together. A perfect afternoon; weather and all! notes report "mmm." Tasty with noticeable malts which seem to get run over too often in Imperial IPA's. Give this one a shot. It drinks smooth and fast if you're not careful to remember that it's got punch to it. Pretty light and smooth ride though. I did follow it up with H2O, but moved on to another brew before too much time passed; in other words, it didn't knock me into never never land;) Cheers!

An afterthought here. I just posted my review and then read a couple of others reviews. I bet that I scored this sucker a bit high, but hola! I'm not sure if I had the same brew as some of the other reviewers. This beer, at least in the condition that I got mine in, was a very solid brew; I can see anyone really honestly giving it marks lower than a B. Anyway...just wondering WTF;) Peace!

22 oz bottle poured into Piraat tulip.

Fully diminishing white head with prominent carbonation that disappears within a minute, leaving a rather flat looking orange body. Bitter flavor upfront and long astringent finish with a wee bit of maltish sweetness and a fairly spicy (allspice) taste. Quite frankly I was expecting a bit more from one of my favorite breweries, perhaps I can taste this on tap. Maybe I got a stinky bottle. To be honest, one of the least enjoyable examples of my favorite beer style, imo.

3.52/5  rDev -1.9%

Bomber poured into a snifter.

A-Hazed orange-amber beer. White head, low retention.

S-Resiny and piney hops with a hing of orange-citrus. Fruitiness, almost a nuance of pear.

T-Citrus, then piney hops, slightly herbal malts under it. Subtle and bready malts with hints of semi-sweetness. Slight fruitiness, again with the pear.

M-Medium carbonation. Lighter medium body.

D-Well, it's a pretty tasty hop bomb. Not a spectacular DIPA, and I think it's lacking in ABV and malt backbone for the style. Regardless, it's tasty. And it's pretty affordable.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

From Notes: 3/1/09
Full Sail Brewing Co.
Slipknot Imperial IPA
7.8% Alc.
22oz. Bomber

Appearance= Vigorous pour into Zaca Mesa oversize redwine glass. Good deep looking Imperial. Deep orange, Red/brown.

Smell= Good hoppy smell. Typical Imperial smell, just weaker.

Taste= Kinda harsh on the taste. Not bad, just interesting...Overall, I've had much better Imperials.

Mouthfeel= Typical Imperial feel. Pefect for the style.

Drinkability= Moving through the bottle with no problem. Can start to feel the alcohol. I bought this @ Whole Foods in San Ramon and I was surprised to see it there. Would not buy again.

2.92/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Copper body. Pretty clear. Thin bubbly off white head. Lacing is sporadic. Aroma is resiny, fragrant, minty and smoky. This one has got some bite to it. A bitter pungency, like the bitter pith of a grapefruit. Borderline "off" with a solvent like fusel alcohol feel to it. The bitterness is pretty rough. Juicy and/or fruity hop tones are absent. Did they dump all the hops in at the beginning of the boil?? This seems a little out of whack and doesn't have a lot of body or malt to support the weird bitterness.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Straw, semiopaque. Fluffy, beige head, great lace.
Smell: Spicy hops, pine, yeast, malts.
Taste: Grapefruit rind, biscuits. Little bit of sweet malts, little bit of a spicy finish.
Mouthfeel: Tannic, medium bodied, strong carbonation
Drinkability: Pretty good. Finishes dry, not metallic.
Verdict: I could use a little more booze and sweetness. Certainly worth picking up, but not the best in the style.

Edit: Apparently this took a gold in the 2008 World Beer Championship. If your taste is better than mine, you may love this.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to Wasatch for this one.

22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Inch of white head, gradual to recede, minimal lacing. Color is a clear copper.

Smell is full on citrus hops. Fresh rind. Taste is also very hoppy. Very straight forward, and a little one dimensional.

Mouthfeel is clean with a mild carbonation. This seems more like an IPA than a DIPA. Nothing really over the top or exciting. Still pretty good.

2.69/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance: Orange-gold, a slight haze, big head.

Smell: Strange earthy, onion & mustard smell.

Taste: Followed the smell, has a little bit of sweetness and a touch of citrus, but mostly tastes like stone-ground mustard, onion, a little bit of horseradish and black pepper.

Drinkability: Definitely not what I was expecting, but not "nasty" as I like mustard, onion, horseradish, just not in a beer.

I am very curious to know if it the hops, the yeast, or the shipping/storage of this beer that makes it taste the way that it does. I have never had a beer that tasted like this, the closest thing I can compare it to is maybe a IPA mixed with a Belgian or maybe a wild strain of yeast.

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Solid coppery golden color, almost clear body, there's a slight smear to it with some slow, single bubble carbonation brewing within. Firm finger high capping of off-white foam, kind of crunchy looking with lots of crusty lace sticking in lots of broken stringy sheets.

Aroma is a bit low key but has a very complexing hopitude to it with a fresh powdery hop pollen, leafy resin, and flowery tones hovering with mellowing melon, peach, and nectarine squeezed into a bit of pine.

Taste is a big bunch of brittle, bruising hops. Lots of very fresh and twisted pine factions lifting above some slight herbal/floral notes, toasted and burntish citrus, and biscuity sourdoughyness. The tone is high and fairly torching in this stuff. Its slight toasty biscuity backing really twists the hop pine and herbs into one palate crunching, tongue tormenting loop of biting bitterness in the front and mid ranges. Only after letting it simmer off your tongue for a long while will you contemplate whether the next sip is bigger or smaller and that your mouth may be ready for either.

One big crunch of hops! How's that for a mouthfeel? Quite crunchy, twisted, toasty, bittered, brittle, and a punchy full body of hopitude. I'll probably be tasting this well into my breakfast tomorrow. It's like hop toothpaste; or so I imagine...

Whoofda...this Slipknot is crazy packed with bittering coating hops. Definately West Coast influenced. Quite nice, but not as balanced and rounded as I would like to see out of my Impy IPA's. A stark smack in the mouth and a bit more of a slower drinker due to its mighty knot of hops tieing up my tongue.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Picked this 22 oz bomber up yesterday, it was just released here in MN.
No freshness date on the bottle, but its not really necasary, as it says 2009.

Poured into an oversized snifter. Revealing a nice bubbly 2 finger white head. Receeding to a layer of globby misc sized bubbles. Thin strakes of lace is left behind on the walls of the glass.
Color is a glowing transparent orangish copper.

Aroma of sauted onions, mustard seeds, a touch of warmth and spicie garlich with hints of hempy pine.
The aroma is actually quite off. I cant say I've ever smelled onions and mustard on a beer before.

This is pretty interesting. The hops used in this are like nothing I've ever tasted or smelled before. It tastes similar to what you smell. If I could drink a bratwurst with onions and hot mustard, this would be it.
More mustard like pinie flavors with onions and garlic. The hops are failry earthy with spice and bittering hop dominance after the swallow. Its crisp and clean with a touch of a hop oil like coating on the toungue.

Very strange Breww....But I loved it. Should give me terrible breath for the rest of the night.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

2009 edition is a cool extra from googzoid 10 - thanks Greg! 22 oz. into Duvel tulip...

Pours a classic bourbon butterscotch body with a buttery eggshell head. Chunky seam, decent retention & lacing. Moderate carbonation rises quickly through a little haze.

There's a solid, subtle caramel malt backbone and creamy sweetness but this is layered with big citrus and grapefruit. More rind than pulp, though, so bitterness is very poignant. Simcoe? Doesn't smell like straight Centennial. Not sure. A bit disjointed but powerful.

Nice austere hop bitterness is less harsh on the palate than on the nose. LOTS of rind still against slight amber earthiness. Less pulp or floralness than rids - still quite bitter. Slight malt sweetness of butterscotch. Very dry. A little lighter in heft than average DIPA.

Solid palate feel...astringency of grapefruit rind goes away a bit with warmth into that of a true citrus-forward DIPA. A little sweet viscosity counters the acidity well.

Doesn't drink too badly...gets to be almost thirst quenching with a little warmth.

2.47/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours a clear, slightly tepid brown with a short, vaguely creamy yellow-white head. Smells of pine sol and grapefruit. Aroma loaded with lupulin. Flavor is not too good. Muddled, sort of cardboardy hop flavor and bitterness gropes its way forward though a dry malt base. Bitterness very dry and astringent...becoming even more so towards the finish, almost overbearing. Alcohol obvious and not complementary to the rest of the flavor. Just too much bitterness with a poor, almost weak flavor beneath. Medium to full bodied. Not a winner here. I feel badly because i sent one to a beer buddy of mine (sorry Konrad).

2.94/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle...Just an average IPA for me, more of a regular one than an Imperial. Poured a nice clear copper color and instantly the head was gone. The smell was a little on the sweet malty side for me, with a faint smell of hops. Wasn't impressed with the taste, but it wasn't horrible. Didn't taste like an IPA to me, but a stronger amber ale. More of a malt character takes over this ale, and I was expecting at least a 50/50 hops to malt comparison. Easy to drink, but didn't taste like an IPA to me and will pass on it next time

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Grabbed the new 2009 release from Fred Meyer. Quite surprised I had to add this beer... as the last reviews were on the 2008 release a long time ago. Did I find the only bottle around? No freshness date.

-Nice new copper penny color.. crystal clear, minimal head.. light lacing in the glass. No lasting head.

- Smell is quite strengthy and robust. Smells like roasted malts and alcohol. Slight bittering hop spice.

- Taste caught me off guard. Thought it wouldn't be as good as it smelled.. but it was better. Not too sweet, and roasted caramel malt.. a bit chewy.. some bread notes. Nice spicy hop with a tiny tiny bit of floral and citrus hiding behind all the spice and alcohol taste.

- Leaves the mouth dry and tasting of alcohol.

- Is however nice to drink, and easy to drink. A good DIPA to compete with some of the other annual releases.

1.96/5  rDev -45.4%

i find most full sail products to be good and i had last years version of the slipknot and remember it to be much better. So with that i give you my rating of this years version of slipknot
this is one of the first times that i really wasn't impressed with an imperial ipa. the appearance is a very light amber with some decent head retention and lacing that is about the best thing about this beer. the smell is of a very light amount of mildew grass. The initial taste is bad a small amount of bitterness but no distinct hop flavor and some malt sweetness. mouthfeel is light with a little bit of alcohol burn. drinkability to quote my wife "i'd rather have a mgd" coming from her that's bad, although i did finish the 22 oz bomber so i gave it a 2.5

1.66/5  rDev -53.8%

A - clear amber with a mostly white head that thinned.

S - piney resin smell. Soured apple maybe? Certainly not what I expected.

T - Wrong. This bottle is just wrong. Taste is sour and maybe like something I'd find under the sink. Lysol? This bottle is only being difficult to review.

M - light mouth feel. Some carbonation. Still doesn't make this a good beer.

D - No. Don't do it. Don't think I'll be finishing this bottle and I HATE to pour out a beer. I think picking scabs would be more enjoyable than this bottle.

I respect Full Sail and I greatly appreciate their beers. I hope this was just a bad bottle.

2.01/5  rDev -44%

I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what. But I ended up dumping the last half of my 22oz bottle. I might have to try it again sometime, but some of the other low scores had similar thoughts as I.

A - Medium Gold, low head retention.

S - Sour hop, and B.O.? seriously. I had another person agree on that. So it was similar to being skunky but then add the sour and bitter of the hops.

T - One dimensional. Bitter. Acidic. Seltzer.

M - Finishes sour.

D - Didn't even finish it. And it pretty much blasted my palette so I couldn't enjoy anything else after.

2.42/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. 02/01/09. 2009 version.

Pours a bright golden color with a finger of beige head that quickly disappeared. The aroma is gross. It smells of a urine-soaked public restroom. I don't smell any hops or malt at all. Even as it warmed the aroma didn't improve.

Fortunately the smell doesn't carry over to the taste. The taste is a barrage of piny hops and bitterness. Not much malt to balance it. Somewhat earthy in the taste. Pretty one-dimensional, just hoppy and bitter, not that great.

Feel is slick and full-bodied with ample carbonation. Drinkability suffers from the poor taste and smell. I don't even want to finish the bottle.

Overall, a fairly poor imperial IPA. Unbalanced and the smell is just awful. Not recommended.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

A well rounded, balanced IIPA. Not a killer hop bomb like many. Instead, it has a lot of lager like characters, but with a lot more complexity. It reminds me of a really strong session lager, with a lot more hops.

Pours crystal clear- a beautiful honey amber color. Big head, on a fairly aggressive pour. little lacing.

Smells like a super potent lager to me. Of course, with a lot more hops than normal. Citrus, pine, citrus.

Taste of malt and hops, pretty evenly asserting themselves. this is an approachable IIPA. A good place to start if you're not familiar with the style. Citrus, pine, toasty malt. Good Hoppy bitterness, but nice malty sweetness to round it out. Mild on the finish with a little twang of tart flavor. Really tasty.

Feels nice on the palate. maybe not as velvety as some IIPAs, but very good. I poured pretty aggressively, so that may have muted the carbonartion a bit, but it's really nice.

This is a very good beer. It's definitely in the major leagues of IIPAs. There are others that i would rather have, but most of those are at least twice as expensive. This is a fantastic beer value.

3.17/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a brilliant clear golden-copper hue with a solid off-white head that is slow to dissipate, leaving behind a bit of gummy lacing here and there.

aroma is delciously hoppy with just a hint of caramel and a touch of maple up front before the hops take over. There's a bit of malt coming through, but hops steal the aroma. Juicy citrus dominates the nostrils, with ample pine sap and juniper. Just a smidgen of floral hopping. Very nicely hopped aroma.

As with the aroma, a sweet and malty opening is quickly annihilated by some impressive hopping. Grapefruit pith and pine needles are overbearingly aggressive, quashing the sweet and juicy hop notes I longed for. Herbal, astringent, and even a bit spicy. Pepper and cloves, with a touch of boozy heat like szechuan peppercorns. And then a bit more unpleasantly bitter pine. I know the malt is hiding there, and does provide a bit of sweetness here and there, but the hops are the true showcase.

mouthfeel is solidly rich and creamy. Ample carbonation helps the slightly thin and ever-so-slightly metallic notes from detracting. The bitterness is definitely detectable, with the astringency and purely bitter kick showing up in the mouthfeel as well.

All in all, not what i was expecting, and not what i remember from other bottles in the past. Inconsistencies? Palette shifts? Insanity? I'm not sure. But this one was definitely more unpleasantly bitter than I was hoping - and I love a good hop bomb. acidic, metallic, acrid, and all in all a chemically unpleasant note to it all. I had to double check the IBU listing from Full Sail, this one seemed so over the top pine-bitter to me. Not bad, but not good. An average DIPA with some funky bittering unbalancing it all. Wasn't really my cup of tea. And left an unpleasant bitter taste in my mouth - both literally and figuratively.

Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve) from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub