Nut Brown Ale (Pub Series) - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Nut Brown Ale (Pub Series)Nut Brown Ale (Pub Series)

good

good

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mactrail on 12-20-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Nut Brown Ale (Pub Series) Alström Bros
woodychandler

There was unabashed, unrestrained joy in my heart when it was recently imparted to me that Full Sail was coming to PA, tempered only by my supposition that it would all be relegated to the Philthadelphia market and none would be seen where SEPTA does not run. Like Joe Namath upon winning SBIII, I was elated to be proven wrong! Elated, ya hear me? I was also elated when I dated Elaine until she heard about me and Eta and then I was delighted to break it off and take up with Delilah. You get the idea. The wife of one of my many friends (I know, hard to believe that I have friends, but I pay them handsomely and regularly, so it all works out) came up to me last night, unbidden, and started gushing about how she loves this new dark beer in little stubby grenade bottles. I had to laugh and told her that although Full Sail has existed for a while, they just recently made like Chris Columbus and "discovered" PA. Welcome, Full Sail and may you never forsake us as Three Floyds, Pretty Things and Rolling Rock have seen fit to do! Don't get me wrong - I love(d) them all and would be ecstatic to see them return, but for now, we are on the outs.

To get into one of their bottles, the crown cap reads, "Tools Required". I went over to the local frat house to see if they could help me, but they bristled at being labeled "Tools". I then consulted the Interweb and discovered that they were referring to the Six Basic Tools of Man, in this case, the Lever and the Fulcrum. I employed a coin as a Wedge between the two and Voila! an open bottle was before me.

From the bottle: "Limited Edition"; "FS Pub Series"; "Available for 90 days only".

I initially had a finger of light-brown head, but it quickly fell away to wisps. Color was a deep brown with ruby highlights and NE-quality clarity. Nose had both a walnut/chestnut nuttiness along with an underlying pininess. I used to dislike this style as it could be too malty for me, but now everybody is cutting sweetness with hops. Good on ya, lads! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was riotous in a good way - chocolate, smoke, mint, freshly mown grass, chestnuts. This may be one of the best Browns that I have ever tasted! Finish was a semi-sweet dark chocolate with a lingering smokiness followed by a breathtakingly refreshing mintiness.

This beer was CRAP! Don't waste your $$$! Leave it all on the shelf for me!

04-06-2013 18:59:44 | More by woodychandler

Utah

01-18-2013 03:28:48 | More by DerwinWentworth
mactrail

Washington

Dark golden brown in the glass with a nice sudsy head. Lots of fine carbonation without overdoing the spritziness. Great sudsy mouthfeel. Aroma of browned toast with some flowery hops.

A little buttery. Lots of the nutty roasted barley taste. Hops are not the stars, but there is a pleasant bitter tanginess. Warmly dark with a malty base. It's just a Brown Ale, but much better than average and highly drinkable. Clean and well made, as with most of the full Sail Brews.

Full Sail says this is one of the new Pub Series, a "rotating series of classic ales" available in 6-packs and draft. Brewed with pale, crystal and chocolate malts and Fuggle and Mt. Hood hops. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Utah State liquor store in Salt Lake.

12-20-2012 05:50:36 | More by mactrail
GClarkage

07-08-2014 16:23:26 | More by GClarkage
becktone

Eye: Color is brown with deep garnet highlights. The beer is clear and has active looking carbonation. Head is about 1.5 fingers and is creamy looking with excellent retention.

Nose: Nice malty aroma, caramel aromas and nutty aromas as well. Overall clean aroma, not much in the way of esters.

Tongue: Malty flavor, finishing off balanced with a touch of sweetness. English variety hop flavor comes through with just enough bitterness and flavor to give this beer a nice balance. Malt profile is nutty with carmel tones. Body is medium and in my opinion the carbonation is a little high, but...that helps keep this beer from becoming too heavy and cloying on the palate. Not overly complicated, this is a simple beer and its a very nice one.

Drinkability: This is a beer I'd drink again any day. The price on it is good and it is a great beer. I'd recommend this one to a friend. Easy drinking beer and this one would be real nice to cook with or pair with the right dish.

07-28-2013 13:26:01 | More by becktone

08-08-2014 15:35:06 | More by Leschber
flagmantho

Washington

3.99/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Stamped "enjoy by 3/20/14", so we're good for freshness.

Appearance: rich, dark brown hue with no haze and a lazy effervescence. Head pours a thin finger of light tan foam; head doesn't have too much retention, but I love the color of the body.

Smell: rich, nutty aroma; I'm getting caramel, toasted malt and hazelnut. I would say it's more like a nice English brown rather than an American-style, but I really like it.

Taste: nice, dryish malt flavor, with a good toasty character, a good nuttiness and a light but appropriate hoppiness. I don't understand the lower ratings; this is a great brown ale.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a very satisfying creaminess. I quite like it.

Overall: a great brown ale and quite drinkable. I'd gladly quaff tons of this stuff.

01-23-2014 21:56:49 | More by flagmantho
AlCaponeJunior

3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

Pretty monstrous head, fair lacing, a dark-brown but clear beer, nice looking brown.

Aroma and taste are pretty spot-on for what I'd expect from the perfect "nut-brown" ale. Roasty, nutty, toasty, bready, biscuit, with a light hops presence, just enough to give the beer a nice balance.

Drink wise it's pretty darn drinkable and I'm trying not to drink it too fast, because it's so good! Light to medium body, crisp carbonation.

It's a fine beer. Full sail once again impresses me.

05-20-2014 21:02:49 | More by AlCaponeJunior