Full Sail IPA - Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

good

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub visit their website
Oregon, United States

ABV 6% IBU 60

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Full Sail IPA Alström Bros
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

12 oz. twist off ("That a way" and an arrow) bottle...Good thing it pointed in the direction I should turn it in...

Pours golden with a white head that has good retention. Some trailing lacing sticks.

The smell is piney/citric/lemony/grapefruity with a carmelish/grainy background.

The taste is of plenty of citric/piney hops with a caramelish balance.

Medium-bodied, with something of a dusty/gritty texture.

Overall, a good IPA - hoppy but balance. Not an extreme IPA, but "sessionable", despite the somewhat odd texture.

Thanks to Wasatch for including this in our trade!

11-13-2007 02:27:27 | More by jwc215
jasonjlewis

2.45/5  rDev -31.4%

Best by 11-30-07

Pours a 2 finger head that quickly dissipates. Clear amber color.

Almost nothing on the nose. The faintest hops and caramel malts. I get next to nothing on the nose.As the beer warms some cooked vegetable notes come out, smells like cooked corn

The taste is of weak caramel malts with weak hops. This is an IPA? Tastes more like a regular pale ale that is moderately hopped. There is a hop bitterness with a slight caramel malting sweetness, but it's very bleh. Nothing exciting. Very boring beer. Not bad. The malts and hops are there, but they are faint and boring. As the beer warms I get a cooked corn taste in the backround.
More of an english ipa than american.

Decent carbonation on the palate, clings fairly well. I would like it a little less carbonated.

If you want to try a new beer, pick this up, but there are much better IPAs out there.

11-10-2007 09:31:45 | More by jasonjlewis
Durge

Connecticut

Clear ice tea color with no bubbles but fair sized frothy head and very good lace. The aroma reminds me of a solid key lime hops of some sort, very edible! The flavor is a nice mellow blend of citrus hops and clean malt. A little nutmeg spice seems evident, very little carbonation but not flat at all, very drinkable. Creamy and mild but flavorful, not much alcohol here so pile 'em on. Sweet and dry blended nicely. Recommended to most anybody, a no brainer for any IPA fan.

2011 Update: A clear yellow amber with a big white head and very nice lacing. The aroma is a very pleasant though slightly mild pine and citrus blend. The taste has a crisp citrus bite with some herbal qualities but very little pine now. It’s medium light bodied with fine but thorough carbonation. It’s got a bit of a rye bread quality, and a slight sweet orange touch. A little dry but plenty drinkable. Not bad, not great.

10-19-2007 01:58:03 | More by Durge
giblet

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

had a couple of these over the weekend. this is a tasty IPA. it poured nice and smelled very good. taste was good, not a hoppy as i like but very drinkable. i would recomend this try to anyone. i will also have to look for more from this brewer.

suckem up and movem out!!!

giblet

10-08-2007 12:33:58 | More by giblet
biking4beer

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a very slight white, foamy head. The color is a nice golden to slightly copper.

Aroma is pretty simple. Grapefruit, grassy, pine.

Taste starts with a nice level of malty sweetness up front, but is quickly whisked away by a nice grapefruit bitterness and a touch of orange. Pretty simple hop profile, but it's working for me.

Just a moderate level of carbonation and overall, a dry beer.

I had this well before I really started studying beer, and I liked it then. I like it now and I'm sure my palate has changed substantially since my first tasting. If you are a huge hop head, you may not like this one, but I think it stands out as a nice break from the super bitter norm for most American IPAs. The low ABV helps with session possibilities.

10-07-2007 12:54:07 | More by biking4beer
RedDiamond

Oregon

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Over the past twenty years, Full Sail has delivered a number of IPAs to their adoring fans. This eponymous one was listed on their taproom menu as their “new” IPA. It’s not clear how new it may be, but it has emerged as Full Sail’s standard, joining their pale and amber as their core trinity of ales. I had a pint at their revamped taproom in Hood River where the beer was enhanced by breathtaking vistas of the Columbia River.

My glass arrived with a delicate sudsy head. It spewed a bright herbal aroma that soon segued to cereal meal. The beer is light amber and delivers a sensible IPA profile built on Centennial hops that’s engaging but not too frightening. The malts are a bit reclusive and arrive fashionably late in the pint.

I like the attitude in this beer. It’s a decent working standard with good six-pack potential.

10-03-2007 04:01:42 | More by RedDiamond
Monkeyknife

Missouri

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a bottle a slightly hazy and effervescent peach tone with a light white head. Lacing was thin on the glass.

Aroma was a healthy grapefruit and lime.

Taste was a sharp and bitter hoppiness, especially at the finish. I was expecting better based on the aroma.

Mouthfeel was light with a fizzy carbonation.

This was an ok beer. I like more to my IPAs than a sharp and fizzy bitterness.

10-01-2007 20:46:12 | More by Monkeyknife
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

This beer poured a clear golden color with a wispy thin white head. The aroma is initially of hops, with some sweetness to follow – overall a bit mild. There is a rush of hop bitterness at first taste, followed by some malt sweetness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and somewhat creamy. Overall, this is a nice IPA – easily drinkable.

09-21-2007 23:42:56 | More by barefootbrewer
scott

2.5/5  rDev -30%

V.07

Bright, with a copper to pale yellow fade. Well carbonated and clear, this is begging me for a pull. Boring. This doesn't even do a Pale justice. Thin, watery and down-right uninspired. This is a lifeless beer, and is probably a Corona guy's wetdream as he's thinking he found the next New Belgium replacement. This would be good when you want to drink a beer but aren't particularly in the mood to taste it. Crisp & easy drinking, much like a soda or tonic water.

09-21-2007 03:11:30 | More by scott
genog

Pours a rich copper color with a frothy, and creamy white head. Head dies down to leave some lacing all along the side. Smell is earthy, bittering hops with little citrus, one of those shining through is grapefruit. Mouthfeeling on this one is rich and full as well as creamy. Surprising for an IPA. A slim warming sensation I can feel on this one.

09-15-2007 05:38:04 | More by genog
biggmike

Mississippi

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

This one poured an orangey-copper color with a fluffy white head that went away pretty quickly. Hops aroma is evident as soon as you pop the top on the bottle. Hoppy, but the taste is balanced by the malt, this is an english-style IPA. Pretty smooth and high on the drinkability scale. I would have again.

09-09-2007 15:36:28 | More by biggmike
ArrogantB

Colorado

God damned bottle cap tore as I was removing it and cut me, thank God for tetanus shots! That’s what I get for not twisting it off. Golden yellow in color with a fluffy off-white head gleaming like new snow, seriously it looked sparkling and left some nice lacing on the glass. The smell is bready, the taste is juicy and quite balanced. There are some floral hops up front and a slightly bitter aftertaste. Good stuff and quite drinkable.

08-20-2007 15:17:54 | More by ArrogantB
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

4.63/5  rDev +29.7%

This IPA has a classic cascade nose, with a well-rounded citrus bouquet and just a touch of resin sticking to the back of the sinuses. Beer initially pours with a chill-haze, but goes crystal with warmth and glows a lovely new bronze. Head is a thin layer but keeps it alive.

This beer has nicely stacked flavors that all play on the palate simultaneously. Amazingly light but none the less bready malt is a great base for very subtle berry and ale fruit to cushion a great hop flavor...bitter, citric, floral. This is so light and balanced it seems more like a pale except for the way it brings the bitter at the end and coats the palate in hoppy goodness. I get only an occasional wisp of alcohol, which I love.

I'm kinda blown away here, this is an extremely refreshing IPA that really exceeded my expectaions and might have changed how I think about this style. Even though I'm pretty in love with this, I was gunna only give it a 4.5 for lacking heft. Really though, the bitterness, and other flavors are all there in ample quantites, it's just ridiculously balanced. This IPA has taught me a lesson this evening. I haven't quite figured it out, but I think it has to do with the role malt played here.

Mouthfeel is where I had to take points off, again, mainly being an issue of heft, or "oomph". While the carb on this beer was pretty decent, it was very light-bodied and bordered on watery. It didn't keep me from enjoying the beer obviously, and helped keep that impressive light and refreshing character, but to me body and mouthfeel are one of the main things seprating IPA from Pale Ale and this one just didn't quite bring it.

08-13-2007 06:30:27 | More by JudgeRoughneck
jettjon

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

From a 12 oz bottle marked “Enjoy by 081608,” consumed on 8/4/07. Into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!), a coppery orange clear color with a small amount of carbonation. Thick one-finger head of off-white foam, slow to fade leaving a heavy cap and ring. Good, sticky lace. Nose of firm (noble?) hops, biting and peppery. Tastes of piney and floral-citrusy hops; middle bitter. Tea. Biting pine finish. Mouth is rich and creamy with middle carbonation. Very smooth and slick. Thirst quenching. Drinkability is very good, a bit bitter if you like that. Very smooth and refreshing. I could enjoy a few of these.

Overall: A good piney-hoppy IPA. Smells and tastes good with plenty of bitterness. Recommended.

08-08-2007 23:48:45 | More by jettjon
dickroop

Maryland

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

A light pale amber, this ale had a thick pillow-foam head and left exitic lacing. The smell was citrus and pine, a little lemon, a bit yeasty and biscuity sweetness.

It tasted spicy with some hop bite, a little musty with pale malt in the mid-palate, and clean bitter finish that was a little grainy. Not an outstanding flavor profile, but drinkable. Mouthfeel was light but a little sticky. It avoids a watery feel by its spicy flavor and pleasant carbonation.

I don't know what contributed to the off flavors, but it was a definite detractor. Still it quaffed OK and delivered a nice buzz.

08-04-2007 16:37:04 | More by dickroop
ihscout426

Missouri

3.28/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into my snifter with little head quickly reducing to a ring of lace. A dark caramel color with a restrained nose. Not much in the way of floral or pine characteristics. The hops really show up in the bitterness. Right up front there is a nice bite with a simple malt base, but nothing ever jumps out. In the sea of IPA's this one is in the middle of the fleet. I would not pass it up if offered, but would not reach for it first.

07-27-2007 18:50:44 | More by ihscout426
AustinBeerLvr

4.6/5  rDev +28.9%

Poured a 12 ounce dark brown bottle with a clearly marked freshness date into a pint style glass.

A: Pours with a good amount of head, excellent lacing on the glass as well. Body is a bright, inviting looking pale orange.

S: Citrusy hops all the way!

T: This brew is almost makes me think of what it would be like to squeeze the perfect fruit and get some kind of awesome hop juice flavor out of it. The sip starts off with a good amount citrus hop flavor that is just slightly offset to a perfect balance (especially for an IPA). After this, the "hop juice" flavor I referenced above kicks in. It's slightly sweet, very refreshing, and an awesome blend of all kinds of good citrusy flavors. Hop bitterness kicks in at the end and it leaves a good trail behind along with the estercy flavors.

M: Very good and substantial but thin enough that it's not overdone.

D: I tried Full Sail's Pale Ale not so long ago and was highly impressed. Their IPA is simply exceptional in my humble opinion. I think a majority of people who don't like this IPA are probably the ones who fall into the trap of thinking that for an IPA, the "more bitter the better". In my opinion, that is not how a beer should be judged. This brew is simply outstanding for drinkability. Plenty bitter, but highly balanced. What a concept for an IPA. Kudos to Full Sail for not falling into the "the more bitter the better the IPA" war.

07-20-2007 02:10:52 | More by AustinBeerLvr
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

This one was acquired in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks, John!

It pours from 12oz bottle(best by 070507) a clear medium gold with a small head of foam that shrinks quickly to a fine broken layer with some lacing.

The smell is very hoppy with some good notes of grapefruit and grass.

The taste is also very hoppy. I'm getting some citrus and grass with even a bigger presence of floral hops. There's *some* malt there in the background but it doesn't have the strength to even come close to balancing out the hop bitterness and now, more noticeable, a pungency that's making my mouth pucker; more malt is something I think this brew needs. I'm finding this IPA just too bitter for my liking. I'll say that the mouthfeel and carbo is up to snuff. I just wish there was more malt influence. Still, I'm glad I got to try this puppy.

07-15-2007 20:01:55 | More by Bitterbill
shadow1961

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Full Sail's IPA pours a stiff creamy head over a clear golden brew.
The carbonation is very active, and the nose is piney hop and ale
yeast. The flavor is a bit of malt dominated by an herbal hop and a
more grassy/piney hop finish. The mouthfeel is quite dry and light.
I would be inclined to say that while it's not a bad IPA, it's a little
unbalanced- all those hops don't have a very big malt presence
to push up against. By all means try some, but for me this would
be the forth or fifth down on my list if I were picking up an IPA.

07-13-2007 16:47:04 | More by shadow1961
ttu94

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Another fine American IPA. Enjoy by date on the bottel says 09/01/07 so we are good to go. Pours a nice clear golden color with a small head that left almost no lacing. Very nice hop smell to it along with some maltiness. The taste was good. If I had to find fault, I would say it was slightly too bitter but not offensive in any way. A good IPA not a great one but decent.

06-26-2007 01:02:49 | More by ttu94
GimpyCane

2.8/5  rDev -21.6%

appearance: poured hazy golden amber with a 1 finger frothy white head that diminished quickly. Left a fair amount of lacing.

smell: light scent of hay with a small hint of pine upfront. Also got a small hint of sweat and grass.

taste: IMO light for a IPA, not hoppy enough for me. Sllightly sweet malt and grain to start with a short lived semi-bitter dry ending.

mouthfeel and drinkability: light body, softly carbonated with an astringent finishing feel more for an unpleasant session.

Overall, I found this brew okay. Not one of there stronger brew such as their Amber Ale and Pale Ale.

06-23-2007 17:09:25 | More by GimpyCane
bunnyhustle

2.95/5  rDev -17.4%

One of my "introductary" IPA's and not a bad start. Not use to this style so I'm probably not the best reviewer but here's my two cents. Pours golden, clear, with thick head that stuck around for most of the brew. Impressive lace as well, other reviewers were right about that. Very strong, hoppy tatse that is suprisingly smooth. Light on the carbonation but leaves a slightly unpleasant aftertaste. Not a bad beer but after my first I'm not aching for another, had my fill with one.

05-24-2007 03:53:53 | More by bunnyhustle
cjgator3

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden amber color with a white head that leaves a good amount of lacing around the sides of the glass. Citrus flavored hops come out in the nose along with some malt. The taste is a little short on the malt and does not possess as much balance as I would like, the hops are cetainly not lacking. Overall, I think this is a pretty underrated IPA. It certainly is not the best IPA out there, but it is definately worth a shot.

05-23-2007 05:19:13 | More by cjgator3
Vancer

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Another damn “unlawful to remove” sticker!! I’m in big trouble! Can’t resist removing it, along with the whole label!

Light amber with a semi-frothy ivory head. Good ivory lacing. Woody citrus in the aroma, and the taste – a semi-strange taste of woody tacos. Strange, but yet, not to damn bad. Now, not something I would make a habit of, but still tasty!

Thanks to Wastach for the brew in a trade!

05-09-2007 02:05:28 | More by Vancer
MrHungryMonkey

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

Light golden, crisp, and clear. Decent carbonation. Most impressive head – large, really creamy, and lacey – looks like the surface of Io.

Hops, mmm. Citric and a little floral, has that American hop twang. Very clean and precise. Then there is a light malt - kind of sweet, kind of nutty.

Light-medium bodied, smooth with a little carbonation kick. Light and bitter hop edge – citric and oily. Light malt base – nutty, touch of caramel, and slightly powdery. Surprisingly understated taste for such a headsy, smelly brew.

05-08-2007 06:11:37 | More by MrHungryMonkey