Paddle Wheel Pale Ale - Bent River Brewing Company

Bent River Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.99% ABV

Beer added by: Reneejane on 03-01-2004

Compared to a pre-prohibition American style beer. A medium bodied ale with a well balanced hoppy finish.
to view more.
Ratings: 83 | Reviews: 18
3.58/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looks nice. Deep amber color with nice white head. Bitter biscuit notes with a smooth finish. It's a touch flat on the carbonation.

2.35/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 Oz bottle poured into a point glass. Beer was chosen for me by beer of the month club. Amber color with thin white head. Mild malt and sour nose. Malty flavor with biscuit and bread malts coming through. Very mildly hopped. Not what I expect from a pale ale, but the label suggests it is like a pre-prohibition style American beer. I guess I'm glad I wasn't sick in that time period. Not my style.

2.64/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Color is good, flavor is, well, unexpected. Somewhat citrus, somewhat wheaty, but not overly hoppy.

Bottle. Label art is not appealing. Pours a dark Amber with a very mild head. Aroma? Nah. I'm just sticking my schnoz into a glass with zero payback. Not worth the physical effort to crane my neck into the position to sniff. Sorry, too aggressive. It smells mild and slightly sweet and bready. Flavor is equally as mild. Smells and tastes like home brew. Medium bodied. Not every beer has to be all dynamic and unique. I will try to keep this in mind.

3.13/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.25

Came in a Beer of the Month club my fiance got me for Christmas. 26.6 IBUs. Hailing from Rock Island, IL. Pours a mahogany/amber, unfiltered goodness right here. Vinegar in the nose, some coriander, grass, floral notes as well. Taste very similar, but with more of the Belgium (yeast, perhaps?) coming through. Has kinda a wet wet/malt/sour mouthfeel that I feel would go great with fish and chips. Overall, I feel this beer beckons the old southern proper ways of life to the modern, international harmonization with it's Belgium influences. Definitely a beer I wouldn't mind at a tailgate or outdoor cocktail party of sorts.

3.62/5  rDev +5.2%

Very piney for me. Citric? Very drinkable. Pale Ale is not my thing but I appreciate them. This one I thought was pretty good. Would buy if found.

3.87/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: A golden,amber color with a nice creamy white head, resolves to fine lacing .

A: Malt dominates with mild hoppy floral aroma.

T: Sweet malt forward, biscuit, bready in the middle followed by hint of hoppy bitterness mid taste and rather sweet but clean finish.

M: Medium dry mouthfeel, sufficient carbonation to highlight the hops and keep the malts from becoming syrupy

O: I thought this was a rather good Pale Ale, reminded me more of an English Pale Ale with the malt characteristics dominating the hops. I tend to prefer maltier beers, so this is in line with my flavor preference – definitely not the extreme hopped IPA more typically associated with American Pale Ales. I enjoyed this beer and would definitely not turn it down if offered (or if I could find at a reasonable price point).

3.37/5  rDev -2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Aroma is caramel, fruit/citrus and very slightly perfumed. The flavor is fruit, citrus, malts and a tart/slightly sugar/sweet finish.

3.71/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

At daughters in Laurel MS.
Pours a hazy very light amber with a tan head that has very good retention and some decent side glass clinging.
SMELL: Grassy, a little nutty, maybe pine nutty, but not much else going on.
TASTE: More malts than hops little bit of bitterness with a dry bite.
This beer does a great pour.
It's characteristics more to me like an Amber Ale than a Pale Ale.
It was a good decent beer that I would never turn away from.

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

Growler into snifter

A: Beautiful deep copper color with a slightly disappointing head. 4/5

S: Pretty malty on the nose. Don't get much hops here. 3/5

T: Meh. Again, pretty malty which isn't what I look for in APAs. You get a little bit of hops peaking through, but still a pretty malt driven pale ale. 2.75/5

M: Feels good in the mouth. Not really heavy at all. Not too thin, either. Sits well. Not much carbonation to not. 3.5/5

O: An okay beer. Too malty for an APA in my opinion, but it's not bad. Probably would't drink very often if again, but really not bad. Just not what I look for in an APA. 3.25/5

3.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is very hazy orange amber in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high beige head that rapidly died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of caramel and pale malts are present in the nose along with notes of pine resin hops.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell, except that there is a better balance between the malts and the hops. The hops stand out a bit more in the finish and contribute a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels just about medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has a really nice balance in the taste between the malts and hops.

I poured this just okay beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer poured a nice head actually. The beer was a light amber kinda cloudy looking brew. The smell was like beer, or maybe fresh beer with a not too hoppy smell. The taste was just so so with a slight hop finish. Just nothing here great or really bad, but I will not buy again.

3.99/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy copper with a half finger of off white head

Smell is earthy, bready, slight pine and musty fruits, pale malt

Taste is more of the same, earthy hop, bready, musty pear, pale malt, slight and I mean slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium, average carbonation, slightly drying.

Well it is more of a earthy apa, which Is fine it is actually a nice change of pace from the citrus pine APA/IPAs. Give it a shot if you see it. Good stuff, could go through a 6 of this with no problem.

4.05/5  rDev +17.7%

12oz bottle with no date

look is a great unfiltered amber-orange with lots of specks of sediment, errwhere. smell is pale malts and skunky european hops. light crisp feel, taste is pale and bitter, fruit skunk and pine tree sap.

hoppy, but not typically so. great beer.

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Bent River's Pale Ale is a very flavorful pale ale. It has a darker color than I was expecting, like a dark burnt orange almost. I was also surprised by the flavor. It was a little stronger than I thought it would be, which turned out to be a good thing. This was my first time at Bent River and I can't wait to go back and try other beers. If you're ever in the QC area, hit up Bent River.

4.06/5  rDev +18%

Bent River has a Sunday $4 large mug special, so I decided to finally try this beer. The color was a dark gold that invited me to take a sip. Wow. Next to Schlafly's Pale on tap, this is one of the best pales I've had.

Sure. There is nothing radical going on with it. The smell is just that of beer, with a little grass scent. It isn't really hoppy, but I don't always want hops with my pale ale. The straw taste is obvious on the back end. The beer feels good going across the tongue and is easy to drink, maybe too easy.

I had this beer on tap at the Quad Cities River Bandits baseball game. Did I look like a dork scribbling notes about beer with front row seats? Probably, but the dugout made a nice table. About the beer. . . it was a cloudy amber color with a light wispy head. Very limited number of large bubbles. The beer had a malty nose and a clean malty flavor with a very slight hops character. Some minor bite at the finish. Nice malty character and pleasant mouthfeel. Some lemony notes. To give an idea of the color/appearance the usher at the ballpark asked me if it was iced tea. I graded it a B+ myself.

3.93/5  rDev +14.2%

The beer was a clear amber color with a heavy white head. It had a malty aroma with a hint of an earthy bouquet. It had a balanced flavor that slightly leaned towards the malt. We found out that it was hopped with a lager hop, Saaz, which left a unique, mild, and somewhat bitter character to the beer.

to view more.