Paddle Wheel Pale Ale - Bent River Brewing Company

Bent River Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.99% ABV

Beer added by: Reneejane on 03-01-2004

Compared to a pre-prohibition American style beer. A medium bodied ale with a well balanced hoppy finish.
Reviews by Minkybut:

I poured this just okay beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer poured a nice head actually. The beer was a light amber kinda cloudy looking brew. The smell was like beer, or maybe fresh beer with a not too hoppy smell. The taste was just so so with a slight hop finish. Just nothing here great or really bad, but I will not buy again.

3.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

2.5/5  rDev -28%

3.29/5  rDev -5.2%

3.62/5  rDev +4.3%

Very piney for me. Citric? Very drinkable. Pale Ale is not my thing but I appreciate them. This one I thought was pretty good. Would buy if found.

3.24/5  rDev -6.6%

3.87/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: A golden,amber color with a nice creamy white head, resolves to fine lacing .

A: Malt dominates with mild hoppy floral aroma.

T: Sweet malt forward, biscuit, bready in the middle followed by hint of hoppy bitterness mid taste and rather sweet but clean finish.

M: Medium dry mouthfeel, sufficient carbonation to highlight the hops and keep the malts from becoming syrupy

O: I thought this was a rather good Pale Ale, reminded me more of an English Pale Ale with the malt characteristics dominating the hops. I tend to prefer maltier beers, so this is in line with my flavor preference – definitely not the extreme hopped IPA more typically associated with American Pale Ales. I enjoyed this beer and would definitely not turn it down if offered (or if I could find at a reasonable price point).

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

I had this beer on tap at the Quad Cities River Bandits baseball game. Did I look like a dork scribbling notes about beer with front row seats? Probably, but the dugout made a nice table. About the beer. . . it was a cloudy amber color with a light wispy head. Very limited number of large bubbles. The beer had a malty nose and a clean malty flavor with a very slight hops character. Some minor bite at the finish. Nice malty character and pleasant mouthfeel. Some lemony notes. To give an idea of the color/appearance the usher at the ballpark asked me if it was iced tea. I graded it a B+ myself.

3.51/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is very hazy orange amber in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high beige head that rapidly died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of caramel and pale malts are present in the nose along with notes of pine resin hops.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell, except that there is a better balance between the malts and the hops. The hops stand out a bit more in the finish and contribute a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels just about medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has a really nice balance in the taste between the malts and hops.

4.06/5  rDev +17%

Bent River has a Sunday $4 large mug special, so I decided to finally try this beer. The color was a dark gold that invited me to take a sip. Wow. Next to Schlafly's Pale on tap, this is one of the best pales I've had.

Sure. There is nothing radical going on with it. The smell is just that of beer, with a little grass scent. It isn't really hoppy, but I don't always want hops with my pale ale. The straw taste is obvious on the back end. The beer feels good going across the tongue and is easy to drink, maybe too easy.

3.3/5  rDev -4.9%

Growler into snifter

A: Beautiful deep copper color with a slightly disappointing head. 4/5

S: Pretty malty on the nose. Don't get much hops here. 3/5

T: Meh. Again, pretty malty which isn't what I look for in APAs. You get a little bit of hops peaking through, but still a pretty malt driven pale ale. 2.75/5

M: Feels good in the mouth. Not really heavy at all. Not too thin, either. Sits well. Not much carbonation to not. 3.5/5

O: An okay beer. Too malty for an APA in my opinion, but it's not bad. Probably would't drink very often if again, but really not bad. Just not what I look for in an APA. 3.25/5

Paddle Wheel Pale Ale from Bent River Brewing Company