Uncommon Stout - Bent River Brewing Company

Bent River Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-06-2004

This unique stout is our top selling beer. We infuse our Oatmeal Stout with some of the country's best coffee to make this award winning medium bodied ale.

28.8 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Uncommon Stout Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.73/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at Bistro 101. Very rich coffee taste, was very smooth. Smells like what I would expect from a oatmeal stout. Has an appealing color from the tap. Head was thick and foamy but was not abundant. Has a great mouthfeel. Overall I enjoyed it and would gladly have another pint. (284 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark brown and hazy. Medium thickness, off-white head on the pour recedes quickly leaving touches of lacing.

Rich and robust aroma of smooth coffee, dark chocolate and corn meal.

Solid malt body of toasted wheat bread, bold medium roast coffee, and smooth dark chocolate. Earthy hop tones in perfect balance with the roasted malt. Oatmeal and grit character smooths out the flavor and provides a nice finish to compliment the lingering coffee bitterness.

Medium bodied with a smooth, rich texture. Finish in slightly dry from the coffee. Well carbonated.

Highly complex, well balanced and drinkable. One of the best oatmeal, coffee stout I have tasted. (656 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass. The color is black but not quite opaque. A finger of head dissipated quickly to leave a skim and ring around the edge.

Smell: I got a whiff of roasted malts as soon as I popped the cap. The coffee scent is prominent. I am unsure, though, if it is espresso-like or akin to something a little less intense. Regardless, the roasted intensity seems tamed by chocolate and oatmeal. There are also scents of molasses, cappuccino, brown sugar, and perhaps some dark fruit or berries. Overall, it provides a very nice aroma.

Taste: It has a nice, full mouthfeel, but the flavor is muted. In that sense it does remind me of a cup of coffee, and the flavor seems more aligned with an oatmeal stout. The roasted barley is prominent but weak. It is also balanced by plum, a little molasses, black licorice, and dark chocolate. In fact, the overall flavor seems more akin to dark chocolate than anything else.

Drinkability: I was a little leery of buying this because I had never seen Bent River beer bottled and was concerned there would be packaging issues. However, this is decent enough out of the bottle to make me want to have a draft. (1,220 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Green Lady for the "South of 80" event. Served in a narrow fluted tulip, review from notes.

Black body fades into a dark burnt sienna brown around the edges, topped with a thin wispy skim of tan foam across the surface.

Mellow roast malt and coffee notes, rich but subtle.

Flavor is big on coffee, mellow and roasty malts, and is smooth and light bodied. Light lingering bitterness from the coffee i'd guess. Wholesome and satisfying, equal parts roast malt and bitter coffee, hints of dark chocolate, smooth and integrated feel. Seemingly simple, yet well crafted and enjoyable. Definitely something to see out, a solid coffee stout from Bent River. (665 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours an excellent tanish-but-mostly-black color.

S: Mainly smells like the morning brew of coffee, but you can also find hints of the oatmealish aroma as well.

T: Has a 'warm' taste to it. One can taste the sweetness of the oatmeal, almost chocolatey with the robustness of the coffee.

M: Mild-Mid carbonation allows it go down very smoothly.

This beer (and Bent River's Jalapeno brew) were the two beers that got me hooked onto microbrews, from the generic, everyday beers that I was accustomed to. I can't help but to stop into Bent River and have at least one pint of Uncommon every time I happen to find myself in the Moline area. (644 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

I've had this beer many times, sometimes I have been fairly impressed, other times disappointed. But it seems like Bent River is becoming more consistent. We'll see. Luck for them, I'm reviewing a sample that impressed me earlier today.

Appearance matters little to me, so it looked like a stout. ... OK it Had some mocha head that stayed for a bit before fading. Wee nip of lacing.

Smells mainly of coffee. There is some malty sweetness underneath, but it's mostly coffee and other roasty notes.. It is not nuanced or complex, but what is there is fairly balanced.

Like the nose, the taste is dominated by coffee. But it works, if you like coffee (and for this particular batch). There is some malty backbone balancing, some roasted barley character, and a wee nip of roasty/hoppy bitterness. And it was all well balanced and got better as it warmed. It reminded me of when I thought this was a really good beer.

Well carbonated, thinnish medium body, smooth, easy drinking with a clean finish.

As stated, this is a coffee beer. Very coffee, not just a little. So if you don't like coffee, don't drink it. My advice is try it if you can, because if you can, you are probably in the Quad Cities and your options are limited. And some batches seem to hit the spot. And, as an annual visitor, the brewery seems to be getting a grip on the Quality Control and achieving more consistency with their flagship beers, of which this is one. (1,439 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

Appeared very dark, almost black.

Smelled like semi-burnt, weak coffee, and the taste was much the same. I could not fish out any other flavors besides the burnt coffee flavor, and I may as well have been drinking coffee.

I have enjoyed coffee stouts in the past, but this one was a bit too one-dimensional for repeated tastings. Judging from the other higher scores, I may have had a bad pour, but I don't think so. (419 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Nearly black and quite opaque, though a few slivers of light do get through at the bottom of the glass. Smooth tan head never fully dissipates.

Smell: Really smells very much like coffee. Dark malts are apparent as well.

Taste: Rich black coffee dominates over roasted malts. The bitter coffee flavor tastes genuine and is almost to the point of overpowering at first. As the beer warms, it mellows considerably, and I even detect a little oatmeal sweetness. The beer leaves a pleasant aftertaste that is, surprisingly, not that bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and good carbonation level.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, despite the intense flavors.

Notes: I first had this beer shortly after I turned 21. It was one of the first stouts I had (other than Guinness) and helped expand my concept of what beer can be. I thought "coffee in beer, that's crazy!", but ended up enjoying it. I don't care for coffee itself, so I knew there must be something special about it. Close to two years later, it still holds up as an excellent stout. With the coffee and oatmeal flavors, I can't help but compare it to Founders Breakfast Stout, one of my favorite beers. I'd label it Breakfast Stout's baby brother, but that's still high praise! (1,244 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer is for coffee lovers. The Uncommon Stout is very similar to the Oatmeal Stout (in fact, it is their Oatmeal Stout infused with coffee). I thought I could detect a coffee flavor in the Oatmeal Stout, and then I tried the Uncommon. The coffee flavoring completely dominates the beer. That isn't bad as long as you like coffee. I personally enjoyed the Oatmeal Stout better, but this is a good beer too. Get Bent! (420 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Growlers of this beer don't last long at my house. The beer is black and pours with a beautiful dark brown head that clings to the glass as you tip it. Smells like a warm cup of java.

The coffee taste *is* very strong and is followed by just a hint of grain on the back, but I like that. I hearken this to a very sweet milk stout, just replace the sweet with coffee.

The body is okay for a stout, but is more like a porter.

This is a great beer to drink when you are eating a sweeter baked items, like muffins or rolls. (525 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

On-tap at El Bait Shop. I had a hell of a time determining the name of the beer I drank an hour or so ago. The wooden tap handle said 'Get Bent', which the bartender swore was the name of the beer, but which I've now determined is simply the brewpub's tagline. After reading a few reviews, I'm sure Uncommon Stout is what I had.

Transparent burnt umber infused with a generous shot of black cherry juice. The head was razor thin when the glass was placed in front of me and broke into surface wisps within minutes. Wavy rings of lace decorated the glass in the end.

The nose was dominated by black coffee and roasted malt. My experience has been that most coffee beer is on the simple side since the java obliterates any hint of complexity or subtlety. Such was the case here as well. The fact that I don't care for coffee makes the smell score (and the flavor score for that matter) that much more impressive.

Uncommon Stout might be the most coffee-like beer that I've ever had outside of Peche Mortel. Like the nose, the flavor profile was straightforward. Underneath the ground coffee bean pungency lurked bitter baker's chocolate and black malt. Simply put, if you like black joe, you'll like this beer.

Of the beginning, middle and end of each mouthful, I liked the crisp, drying finish best of all. That was where the flavors softened, deepened and melded into something truly delicious. The final few swallows were also better than the first few; yet another characteristic of a well-brewed ale.

I was hoping I wouldn't find out that the beer is a stout because the mouthfeel was nowhere near stout-like. Porter-like maybe. A little too much early fizz settled down quickly, lending an enjoyable light creaminess to the bottom of the pint.

I find it odd that Bent River doesn't inject the word 'Coffee' or 'Mocha' or 'Java' into the name. The one they settled on is still appropriate, though, since Uncommon Stout is uncommonly good. I now plan to 'Get Bent' whenever the opportunity presents itself. (2,026 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%

This beer is a treat. While the coffee was dominant in the flavor and aroma, it did not overpower the roasted malt, chocolate or hop presence. I was pleasantly surprised by the balance in flavors that it displayed. I was also amazed that a beer with such outstanding flavor and body could be so drinkable. (305 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +17.2%

According to the website, all superflous capitalization left in tact:

"A Real Eye Opener! Dark Medium Bodied Ale Full of Rich Coffee and Roasted Barley Tones"

Pours a very dark and thick red. Nice brown head, distinct ruby hues even in the low light of the bar.

Smells--whew!--they weren't kidding about this being an eye opener. HUGE coffee starts this one off, dark roast of some sort along with distinct nodes of chocolate and caramel.

Oh thank god it tastes just like it smells. Giant coffee and big bitter roasted malts start things off. It moves into a sweet, creamy coffee near the middle. The coffee cuts off abruptly near the end and I'm left with a long, lingering hop and roasted malt dryness. Wonderfully complex and layered.

One heck of a brew pub stout. I'm a bit of a sucker for a nice, strong coffee stout, so I might be a little biased here, but I'd certainly endorse a trip to Bent River for this beer alone! (942 characters)

Sampled on-tap at Summer Camp 2006. Arrived a nice dark black with brown edges and a nice cap of khaki foam. Albeit this was in a plastic cup...it still managed to look good. Aroma was big roastiness coupled with an awesome fresh brewed coffee bean following. A bit of chocolate and a slight creaminess.

First sip brings a smooth roasted malt upfront that quickly segways into a rush of brewed coffee flavor. I was plesantly suprised by the rich, forward coffee flavor here. Goes down with a hint of chocolate and a lingering roasted coffee bean finish. Overall, a tasty coffee stout and a great beer find at a festival.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied and smooth with a slight creamy aspect. Not overly heavy, but still had enough to make itself known. Even in the oppresively hot sun this was still tasty. I'm hoping to try it again sometime and I could see myself having a few. If you enjoy coffee stouts I'd say give this one a go! (937 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

That’s pretty much a big ol’ coffee beer alll right. Big aroma of roasted coffee, fortunately not too bitter. Clearly the fact that it’s one of BR’s regular brews has meant they’ve kept working on it. The brewmaster told me he’s had some business types slam three or four pints of this the night before a big presentation, then call back to complain that they couldn’t get to sleep at all. So he makes sure everybody knows that this not a "coffee roast malt" beer; this is a beer with lots of coffee in it! And it’s pretty tasty, too. (542 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured a dark brown color with a suprising amount of transperancy for a stout. With a nice inch of tan head.

Smell was very nice, hints of bitter chocolate, heavy coffee odors and some nice burnt malts dominating.

Taste was dominated by the coffee. A little bit of bitter dark malts, but mostly coffee flavors coming through.

Mouthfeel was very thin and watery, the one real downfall to this beer.

Drinkability was fine, I just expect a little more substance from a stout. (485 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last