Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Sweet Potato Ale - Bent River Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.81% ABV

Beer added by: DrunkMcDermott on 09-22-2005

4.31/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Was skeptical but took a sip of a friend's at Bent River Brewery. Bought a 6-pack. Much better than expected. Poured a cloudy yellow with a one finger head that dissipated almost immediately. Subtle sweet potato flavor with butter and just a hint of spice. Better that the majority of pumpkin ales. Decent mouth feel and a nice finish with some lingering clove.

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

I have had several Pumpkin Ales this fall, and so had to try this.
I have had Sweet potatoe pie and it is a close cousin to pumpkin pie, so this should be similar.

Pour was light coper cloudy with ivory white head

Smell was spicy and sweet.

Taste was sweet, full and spicy; much more full than some of the pumpin ales we tried earlier in the fall.

It probably doesn't hurt that it is the day before Thanksgiving and we are all thinking about Turkey & Sweet Potatos.

Very nice ! I would drink this anytime

3.37/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle courtesy of Duff27.

4.81% ABV. 9.21 Plato. 204 IBU.

BOTTLE: Brown glass. Generic label design. Branded white pry-off cap.

Served cold into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Expectations are average.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: About 3-4 inches wide. White in colour. Foamy and soft-looking. Not real thick or full. Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

Retention is nice - about 5-7 minutes.

BODY: Hazy nontransparent orange of average vibrance. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Looks nice, generally speaking. Wheat ale - sure. Sweet potato vegetable beer? I guess.

AROMA: Wheat and hops dominate, ousting any vegetable notes. It's grassy, with some crystal malt, faint sweet potato, and floral notes.

Certainly intriguing, and it does have unique appeal. It's not starchy or dry - at least in terms of the aroma.

Aromatic intensity is average. I find it inviting, and it has no off-notes or booze.

TASTE: Sweet potato does come through, but it's not starchy or anything. There's no real spice profile aside from a wisp of nutmeg and maybe a faint suggestion of cinnamon. The wheat backbone is interesting, and the grassy & flora hop notes complement the wheat nicely. Well-balanced, albeit simple. I like it, but it's not very subtle or nuanced. It's a bit plain, actually.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, light-bodied, somewhat refreshing, and well-carbonated. This texture complements the taste well, but not to the extent that it elevates the beer as a whole.

Not gushed, harsh, rough, scratchy, boozy, hot, or problematic in any other respect.

OVERALL: Not the gimmick beer it could be. But not gestalt either. It does come together nicely though, and there's a harmony of texture and taste - simple though the flavour profile may be. Sweet potato/yam is well integrated but minor. It's an enjoyable wheat ale with a vegetable twist, and I'm gad I got to try it. Certainly a drinkable brew. I'd buy a 6-pack if I chanced across it. Well worth trying. I'd recommend this to friends.

Thanks, Duff27!

3.11/5  rDev -1%

A - Orange body with a half inch of white head that is quick-lived.

S - The aroma contains that of slight cinnamon.

T - The brew has a bitterness to it alongside cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg. However, the beer is not sweet.

M - It's coarse and actually not very easy to drink. The only benefit of the texture is that it brings out some of the flavors.

~ I'm certainly glad I gave this one a try simply because of the uniqueness of it. That being said, I'll never have this one again.

2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Burnished copper color. Looks a bit like a pumpkin pie beer. Tastes like it, with mostly spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Brewmaster said the idea was to lay down a base for a spicy beer, since potatoes add little more than fermatables to a beer. This is nicely turned out if you like spices outside of a hefeweiss.

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

My fiancee dared me to try this...so, I did.

Appearance: Nice dark orange/amber hue, with just a slight haziness and a thin film of a head.

Smell: Quite spicy. This was very similar to some of the better pumpkin ales I've had (like Schlafly's for example) but there was an added layer of rich, earthy fruitiness to it, that pumpkin beers often lack.

Taste: Nutmeg. Too much nutmeg. There's a little bit of malty sweetness, a kind of sweet potato-ish background, and spices. The spice was just a little over the top, and came off as too aggressive for me. There was also slightly more of a hop presence than I was expecting, but with a less aggressive spicing, this would have balanced this brew nicely.

Mouthfeel: Fairly full, rich and creamy

Drinkability: I had one pint and didn't really care for a second.

Conclusion: Close, but slightly off the mark. W/a little less aggressive spicing, this could have been pretty tasty.

2.65/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Cloudy orange, huge head.

Smell: Strong sweet potato smell.

Taste: Yep, more sweet potato, with some cinnamon on the side. Fizzy.

Overall: For some reason my dad bought this and of course didn't like it, so I tried it. If you want lots of sweet potato flavor in your beer this is the one for you. Feels over carbonated which does not help the palatability. Weird stuff. Sweet Yamma Jamma from Indeed is a better yam/sweet potato beer.

2.64/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This has quickly become my favorite seasonal beer. I get so excited when I pick up a growler of Sweet Potato Ale. I gave the smell a rating of 5 because it's the only beer I smell (like wine) before every drink. I wish I could describe a smell with words but I cannot. Of course draft is always better than the bottle, and last years batch seems a touch better than this years, at least to this point.
Taste: Very Good!
I'm sorry, but this years "bottled" batch of Sweet Potato Ale, just plan sucks. The draft I had is still amazing. I'm not sure how the bottled batch even passed inspection. No Sweet Potato taste whatsoever. Taste along the lines of Bud Light.

Sweet Potato Ale from Bent River Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.