1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jalapeño Pepper Ale - Bent River Brewing Company

Jalapeño Pepper AleJalapeño Pepper Ale

Bent River Brewing Company visit their website
Illinois, United States

Chile Beer |  4.81% ABV

(Beer added by: DrunkMcDermott on 09-22-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 45 | Reviews: 10 | Show All Ratings:
Trifecta1

3.88/5  rDev +19%

A - Honey orange with some haze.

S - Wheat and jalapenos. They don't joke around about it being a jalapeno ale.

T - Just the same, a decent wheat ale, moderate malt sweetness and nuttiness, but with nice ripe jalapeno flair. Heat builds, but never becomes overwhelming. Has the heat of a "hot" salsa you'd buy from a major brand (meaning mild for heat-seekers, myself included).

M - A bit thin, could use a bit more body.

O - I love this beer for many reasons, but the biggest one I should comment on is that Bend ACTUALLY made a jalapeno-forward ale, like in the name. Whenever I see beer with "peppers added," I am disappointed time and time again by the lack of said peppers. This delivers and sates your thirst for a pepper-ed ale.

No, this beer isn't for everyone, but if you are into heat or peppers and want something new, this is a winner.

11-26-2013 19:10:13 | More by Trifecta1
Ryan_Graham

Iowa

1.25/5  rDev -61.7%

So as a disclaimer, I'm not a big fan of spicy beer. This could be why I disliked this beer so much.

I bought this beer off a whim but I couldn't finish it. I took two sips, gave one sip to my dad and poured the rest down the sink. The appearance wasn't bad. But the jalapenos overpowered almost every other aspect of this beer. They dominated the aroma, the taste and especially the mouth feel-- leaving my palate hot and uncomfortable.

This is the only jalapeno beer I've ever had. If you like jalapeno beers, then you should disregard this review and give it a try. I don't mean to bash it because I'm sure there are people out there who enjoy this type of beer. I, however, am not one of those people.

I would not recommend this to a friend-- unless I was trying to prank them.

10-20-2013 02:09:24 | More by Ryan_Graham
MarshMan71

4.96/5  rDev +52.1%

Stopped at Bent River for lunch with my Fiance and have heard nothing but good things about their brews after a bit of research before heading there to see what's on tap. I tried 4 of their brews and Jalapeno Pepper Ale was the last one... I personally have had over 150 different brews since Jan. and this one by far took my breath away as something I was not expecting. I loved the fact that it was just plain different.

Beautiful deep dark amber color , aromas of fresh cut jalapenos hit you right away. just the aroma alone will make you want to drink this beer. Not a hoppy beer at all I'm almost sure its their american wheat beer they started with before adding the jalapenos. Its just perfect IMO. other than I would have liked to have seen a little fluffier head.

Not a beer that your gonna pound all afternoon but defiantly one to enjoy with some mexican food or a really good burger. By the way if you stop at Bent River the food is great.

03-19-2013 18:57:30 | More by MarshMan71
emerge077

4.08/5  rDev +25.2%

Seems to be some batch variation with this. Had a couple draft servings at Green Lady after their "South of 80" event for CCBW.

Served in a narrow fluted tulip, review from written notes.

Dark burnished gold/bronze, high clarity, saturated color. Thin layer of foam on the surface that left random spotty lacing behind, and a wispy broken skim on the surface.

Aroma is spot on fresh jalapeño... big floral, green, earthy notes, just like fresh cut peppers. Inhaling deeply pulls in some heat, but not much. Certainly not unbalanced, it's the very definition of restraint.

Similar flavors, floral and earthy pepper with a hint of spice. Some bready malt and tea leaf notes in the middle, leaving a slight tingle of heat in the back of the palate after a few sips. Overall very drinkable, I felt the craving for another glass after the first. Definitely for those who enjoy hot pepper heat, thought in the scheme of things it was relatively mild.

05-25-2012 03:24:18 | More by emerge077
Duff27

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a deep orange with a fizzy quickly receding head. No lacing or head retention. Steady stream of effervescence.

S- Distinct chili spice in the nose.

T- I don't one how you can anything other chilis in this one. Leaves the mouth tingly with heat. Fairly one dimensional, solid for a chili beer!

M- Medium to medium thin. Good carbonation.

D/O- My mouth is on fire but not like a Buffalo Wild Wings Blazin' Wings Challenge fire. This one is tolerable. Most will only want one pint but it is different and demands a try.

Serving type: growler

05-16-2011 01:02:00 | More by Duff27
Kimber234

4.33/5  rDev +32.8%

I love this beer. It has the Bent River American Wheat beer base with a bright,fresh jalapeno taste. I really don't care for any other "flavored" beers like strawberry or raspberry, but this is wonderful. There is a slight burn, so people who don't like the burn of hot salsa probably won't like it. The only drawback is that sometimes it can be a little flat. I don't know why it happens with this beer at Bent, but I haven't seen it with the others they serve.

02-11-2011 19:54:20 | More by Kimber234
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

3.15/5  rDev -3.4%

I was into trying new things last night, so...

Appearance: Actually pretty nice; I had a small sampler glass, not the traditional pint-glass shape, but this beer poured a dark golden color (like a slightly darker version of a pilsener) capped by a fairly fluffy white head that has pretty good retention.

Smell: Cut open a jalepeno. Smell. You get the idea. No malt, no hops, just earthy, spicy, woody jalepeno.

Taste: See above. It's incredibly true to fresh, unpickled jalepeno taste. The woody, earthy pepper flavors are there...and so is a decent amount of burn...

Mouthfeel: Light/medium, crisp, and spicy

Drinkability: Light bodied...but very strong flavored and highly spicy...makes for not a real drinkable beer.

Conclusion: My fiancee hated it, but I actually thought this was kind of interesting. It's definitely not something you'd sit around and pound down, but with a bacon cheeseburger, pub fries with cheese, onion rings, or the like, this (one pint tops) could be quite tasty.

11-03-2008 00:48:37 | More by BedetheVenerable
dickroop

Maryland

2.25/5  rDev -31%

This brew was a major disappointment - I found almost nothing in it that would make me want to drink another pint.

It's appearance was clear and mostly golden, without much head. It had very small aroma, a first tipoff of trouble ahead.
The flavor was authentically jalapeno, with a strong peppery taste. But the jalapeno overwhelmed anything else. Little (or not enough!) malt or hops to counterbalance the stong peppery flavor.
Sure enough, the mouthfeel was hot, a spicy bite that lingers on the palate. But not in a satisfying way.
For me drinkability was low, just an annoying flavored beer that was one-dimensional.

If you're a lover of hot and pepper, if you have strong-flavored food to pair it with, if you just HAVE to say you've tried it, be my guest. But this is one beer I'll pass on, and one that gives another black mark for me against fruit and vegetable beers in general.

03-08-2006 04:18:41 | More by dickroop
scoobybrew

Indiana

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer has a wheat base, with a surprising kick. Slightly hazy, it appears otherwise like an American pale. The smell is nothing remarkable, but there is a subtle hint of the pepper inside. As it first hits your tongue, nothing special, like a standard wheat or very mildly hopped American pale. However, as it makes its way to the back of the tongue (and down your throat) the pepper surprise kicks in and is very present.

This was really my first introduction to a pepper beer. I liked it, but I couldn't drink this all night, but it's good for a pint or two. It did inspire me to brew a pepper beer of my own however.

02-28-2006 00:53:01 | More by scoobybrew
DrunkMcDermott

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

Well, this is my style of beer. In fact, it tastes pleasantly like a chile beer I’ve made. Appears to be a golden American Ale base, but lighter on the hops. Chile burn is there, but bright and fruity, like fresh jalape?nos. Actually finishes clean, with no afterburn. This is, to this chile-head, the equal of Eske’s in Taos.

09-22-2005 15:53:20 | More by DrunkMcDermott