Jalapeño Pepper Ale - Bent River Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 91 | Reviews: 18
Reviews by Kyrojack:
4.96/5  rDev +49.8%

Stopped at Bent River for lunch with my Fiance and have heard nothing but good things about their brews after a bit of research before heading there to see what's on tap. I tried 4 of their brews and Jalapeno Pepper Ale was the last one... I personally have had over 150 different brews since Jan. and this one by far took my breath away as something I was not expecting. I loved the fact that it was just plain different.

Beautiful deep dark amber color , aromas of fresh cut jalapenos hit you right away. just the aroma alone will make you want to drink this beer. Not a hoppy beer at all I'm almost sure its their american wheat beer they started with before adding the jalapenos. Its just perfect IMO. other than I would have liked to have seen a little fluffier head.

Not a beer that your gonna pound all afternoon but defiantly one to enjoy with some mexican food or a really good burger. By the way if you stop at Bent River the food is great.

3.58/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

What you see is what you get; the smell and taste is full-on jalapeño. Some spice/heat for sure, but not overboard. Would have liked a little less carbonation and higher ABV, but this is a good chili beer overall. Some interesting food pairing and recipes come to mind.

3.43/5  rDev +3.6%

Well, this is my style of beer. In fact, it tastes pleasantly like a chile beer I’ve made. Appears to be a golden American Ale base, but lighter on the hops. Chile burn is there, but bright and fruity, like fresh jalape?nos. Actually finishes clean, with no afterburn. This is, to this chile-head, the equal of Eske’s in Taos.

4.32/5  rDev +30.5%

I love this beer. It has the Bent River American Wheat beer base with a bright,fresh jalapeno taste. I really don't care for any other "flavored" beers like strawberry or raspberry, but this is wonderful. There is a slight burn, so people who don't like the burn of hot salsa probably won't like it. The only drawback is that sometimes it can be a little flat. I don't know why it happens with this beer at Bent, but I haven't seen it with the others they serve.

2.83/5  rDev -14.5%

If you love spicy food you'll probably enjoy this beer. But the peppers here overwhelm any sense of flavor the beer has. It's like a sip of light beer with a spoonful of hot salsa at the same time. My bottle was ice-cold, yet the spicy taste almost made it seem like it had been sitting in a hot car all afternoon. A unique beer experience, just not one I care to repeat anytime soon. On a side note, Bent River Brewery does have very good food and beer on the menu....if you're in the Quad Cities area along the IA/IL border it's well worth checking out.

4.09/5  rDev +23.6%

Seems to be some batch variation with this. Had a couple draft servings at Green Lady after their "South of 80" event for CCBW.

Served in a narrow fluted tulip, review from written notes.

Dark burnished gold/bronze, high clarity, saturated color. Thin layer of foam on the surface that left random spotty lacing behind, and a wispy broken skim on the surface.

Aroma is spot on fresh jalapeño... big floral, green, earthy notes, just like fresh cut peppers. Inhaling deeply pulls in some indication of heat, but not much. Certainly not unbalanced, it's the very definition of restraint.

Similar flavors, floral and earthy pepper with a hint of spice. Some bready malt and tea leaf notes in the middle, leaving a slight tingle of heat in the back of the palate after a few sips. Overall very drinkable, I felt the craving for another glass after the first. Definitely for those who enjoy hot pepper heat, thought in the scheme of things it was relatively mild. If you don't like peppers, why would you drink this? Bunch of masochists apparently.

4.13/5  rDev +24.8%

Wow, really enjoying the jalapeño !

3.99/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a HUGE, soapy, off-white head that laces nicely. The persistence of the head is surprising. AMAZING roasted chile aroma - I'm salivating at this one. It smells EXACTLY like roasting chiles. Straw-golden color. Starts with a nice, warming chile flavor. Heat comes through right as the malt starts to well. Finish is a mild, lingering heat and malt.

This is quite nice. I really enjoy the pleasant, medium heat to this one. It balances the malt well, too. The Rio Grande Pancho Chile is still my favorite chile brew, but this one is a close second, and beats it in the use of heat.

3.44/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a deep orange with a fizzy quickly receding head. No lacing or head retention. Steady stream of effervescence.

S- Distinct chili spice in the nose.

T- I don't one how you can anything other chilis in this one. Leaves the mouth tingly with heat. Fairly one dimensional, solid for a chili beer!

M- Medium to medium thin. Good carbonation.

D/O- My mouth is on fire but not like a Buffalo Wild Wings Blazin' Wings Challenge fire. This one is tolerable. Most will only want one pint but it is different and demands a try.

4.57/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Love this beet. Heavy on the jala pinos with a spicy kick. We use it to chase tequila.

3.87/5  rDev +16.9%

A - Honey orange with some haze.

S - Wheat and jalapenos. They don't joke around about it being a jalapeno ale.

T - Just the same, a decent wheat ale, moderate malt sweetness and nuttiness, but with nice ripe jalapeno flair. Heat builds, but never becomes overwhelming. Has the heat of a "hot" salsa you'd buy from a major brand (meaning mild for heat-seekers, myself included).

M - A bit thin, could use a bit more body.

O - I love this beer for many reasons, but the biggest one I should comment on is that Bend ACTUALLY made a jalapeno-forward ale, like in the name. Whenever I see beer with "peppers added," I am disappointed time and time again by the lack of said peppers. This delivers and sates your thirst for a pepper-ed ale.

No, this beer isn't for everyone, but if you are into heat or peppers and want something new, this is a winner.

3.4/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer has a wheat base, with a surprising kick. Slightly hazy, it appears otherwise like an American pale. The smell is nothing remarkable, but there is a subtle hint of the pepper inside. As it first hits your tongue, nothing special, like a standard wheat or very mildly hopped American pale. However, as it makes its way to the back of the tongue (and down your throat) the pepper surprise kicks in and is very present.

This was really my first introduction to a pepper beer. I liked it, but I couldn't drink this all night, but it's good for a pint or two. It did inspire me to brew a pepper beer of my own however.

3.15/5  rDev -4.8%

I was into trying new things last night, so...

Appearance: Actually pretty nice; I had a small sampler glass, not the traditional pint-glass shape, but this beer poured a dark golden color (like a slightly darker version of a pilsener) capped by a fairly fluffy white head that has pretty good retention.

Smell: Cut open a jalepeno. Smell. You get the idea. No malt, no hops, just earthy, spicy, woody jalepeno.

Taste: See above. It's incredibly true to fresh, unpickled jalepeno taste. The woody, earthy pepper flavors are there...and so is a decent amount of burn...

Mouthfeel: Light/medium, crisp, and spicy

Drinkability: Light bodied...but very strong flavored and highly spicy...makes for not a real drinkable beer.

Conclusion: My fiancee hated it, but I actually thought this was kind of interesting. It's definitely not something you'd sit around and pound down, but with a bacon cheeseburger, pub fries with cheese, onion rings, or the like, this (one pint tops) could be quite tasty.

3.76/5  rDev +13.6%

I don't review many beers, but I usually look them up before dropping money on them. This beer needs a good hard sniff to get any jalapeño smell. Color is hazy, no lacing, no carbonation. The taste is what hit me - a definite bite and doesn't leave a hoppy aftertaste. I think it's great paired with spicey casual foods.

2.29/5  rDev -30.8%

This brew was a major disappointment - I found almost nothing in it that would make me want to drink another pint.

It's appearance was clear and mostly golden, without much head. It had very small aroma, a first tipoff of trouble ahead.
The flavor was authentically jalapeno, with a strong peppery taste. But the jalapeno overwhelmed anything else. Little (or not enough!) malt or hops to counterbalance the stong peppery flavor.
Sure enough, the mouthfeel was hot, a spicy bite that lingers on the palate. But not in a satisfying way.
For me drinkability was low, just an annoying flavored beer that was one-dimensional.

If you're a lover of hot and pepper, if you have strong-flavored food to pair it with, if you just HAVE to say you've tried it, be my guest. But this is one beer I'll pass on, and one that gives another black mark for me against fruit and vegetable beers in general.

1.29/5  rDev -61%

So as a disclaimer, I'm not a big fan of spicy beer. This could be why I disliked this beer so much.

I bought this beer off a whim but I couldn't finish it. I took two sips, gave one sip to my dad and poured the rest down the sink. The appearance wasn't bad. But the jalapenos overpowered almost every other aspect of this beer. They dominated the aroma, the taste and especially the mouth feel-- leaving my palate hot and uncomfortable.

This is the only jalapeno beer I've ever had. If you like jalapeno beers, then you should disregard this review and give it a try. I don't mean to bash it because I'm sure there are people out there who enjoy this type of beer. I, however, am not one of those people.

I would not recommend this to a friend-- unless I was trying to prank them.

3.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sampling right now on 3/26/15. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "EFES" pilsner glass.

Brew pours a hazy 'ice tea' in color with a good 2-finger foamy off-white head that settles down quickly to nothing at all. Some minor spotty lacing is seen when sipped but really not much to mention even. The aroma is actually very light of the jalapeño peppers and not much else. Boy, when you take a sip it is really there! LOL! Warms your throat down to your stomach all the way down! Even got the top of my head a little sweaty. Actually isn't that bad as the burn doesn't last long. Lighter bodied with lots of carbonation! When I opened the bottle it just kept coming out! Overall, it was OK if you like this style of brew. Would pair well with some Mexican or other similar food or a plate of loaded nachos. Overall it was OK if you like this style of brew.

3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

As advertised, label is exactly what it taste like. If you like spicy hot food this is the beer to try out as well. If anything the jalapeno should accelerate the alcohol to sweat out of your skin faster, to drink more....lol After pouring you can immediately smell the jalapeno within the beer. It's like drinking beer and eating jalapeno bread , and the aftertaste gives you a natural beer effect which makes you want to drink more. It would be an interesting beer to cook with as well. Perhaps brats?

to view more.