Yinpu Black Rice Beer - Jilin Yinpu Brewery

Yinpu Black Rice BeerYinpu Black Rice Beer

Jilin Yinpu Brewery visit their website
China

Schwarzbier |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2003)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.2/5  rDev +17.6%

The head pours well enough but dissipates within a few minutes, leaving minimal lacing. The color is a coppery orange-red.
A heavy aroma of sweetness with a surprisingly strong malt backing. There's a little bit of a long grain that I suspect must be the rice. This by no means is as weak or rice-laden as a typical macro. There's an obvious caramelized sugar essence here as well.
There's a very interesting flavor. Caramel, molasses and black licorice notes reminiscent of a RIS or a doppelbock compliment a strong malt backbone. There is a wide variety of interesting contributors here. There are some dark fruits, something dry and herbal lingering in the back, and some caramelized sugar, almost like brown sugar. There's a lack of hops balance and some might find it too sweet for a beer.
The mouthfeel is smooth with an interesting tingle from some moderate to heavy carbonation. It's a little thin but not especially watery.
Well, this is a very interesting brew and a bit difficult to describe. It's certainly better than your typical macro for several reasons: first, it's not as watered down. Secondly, it has a strong malt backbone. Thirdly, it does have a strong flavor, regardless of what you think of it. It's a little odd but I'd suggest giving it a shot if you're in the mood for something new or unusual.

4.08/5  rDev +50%

Wow, what an interesting beer. It pours a cloudy reddish-chestnut body beneath a frothy cap of light tan. The head drops almost immediately though, and there's not much in the way of lacing except for a minor spot here and there. (I'll assume that the cloudiness and lack of head retention are OK for a rice beer. And I don't know if it was bottle-conditioned, but it was definitely unfiltered.

The nose is distinctly caramelish and cocoa-like, backed by a delicate waft of soft fruitiness. There's also a hint of what seems like cedar, but must be from the rice or yeast they're using.

In the mouth it's silky smooth with a dextrinous medium-light body and delicate, fine-bubbled moderate carbonation.

The flavor is richly caramelish and chocolatey, but at the same time very sugary-sweet. The chocolate and caramel are there to be sure, but not in the way that you'd normally think of them, as in a porter, for example. There's more than that though, which is what makes it really interesting. It has a delicate note of cola and some cedar, as well as a note of vanilla and a soft fruitiness (plum, delicate strawberry). If there's any bitterness there it's very limited, keeping out of sight. It finishes sweet, but not too sweet, and it doesn't build on the palate. In fact, once the malt has receded, it's very tea-like, and there's even another dry note of cedar. Odd, but beguiling.

Totally unique, and very interesting! Worth trying!

2.33/5  rDev -14.3%

Well, a Chinese brewed English Brown - certainly novel. This bottle came from Bierkraft, Brooklyn.

Deep chestnut coloured with a very slight haze. Hardly any head and little carbonation (but enough). Slight musty aroma that is unclear to be anything specific. Mild hop and malt flavour, a hint of sweetness but little going on on the tongue. Bland, no finish to speak of. A very wimpish beer indeed.

3.55/5  rDev +30.5%

Where do you even begin with this beer?

It pours a somewhat murky color, and the head dissipates very quickly.

The smell is sweet and inviting, but does not have a lot of depth to it.

The taste is unmistakably ricey and very, very sweet. I didn't taste any hops. It tastes a lot like a Chinese rice cooking wine (but obviously carbonated and not salty).

Would I buy it again? No. But it's certainly worth a try; I've never had another beer like it. And the packaging on the case might be the funniest thing I've ever seen.

3.5/5  rDev +28.7%

Got a single bottle of this at Warehouse Beverage the other day. Poured into my pint glass. Pours a hazy amber brown color with an off white head about an inch thick when poured. Settles do a decent surface layer. not much lace. Aromas of sweet malt and maybe black rice? Has a sweet malty taste with hints of corn and rice with a slight hint of tart or tang to round it out. Not a bad taste at all. Rather enjoyable actually, but not great by any means either. Has a sort of chewy, slightly syrupy mouth feel with moderate carbonation. easy to drink in a good way. Nothing special here, but I could see myself enjoying one of these from time to time.

Eric

2.65/5  rDev -2.6%

Paid $0.99 for a 12oz. bottle

The appearence of this is a dark stout colored beer with a small white head that fades quickly. Lacing has minute traces and that's it! The aroma was ok, smelled like a weak Saporro with a touch of grain... nothing too strong.

The taste was just short of par, it's kinda smooth but there isn't enough flavor in this thing, almost feels like a light dunkel beer if one ever exists. The mouthfeel was not impressive, too much carbonation in this and the drinkability is pretty average as it is a drinkable beer.

Final Thought: I'll spend the $0.99 on a couple crab rangoons than drop it on another one of these...

2.33/5  rDev -14.3%

Bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A- An aggressive pour made a 1/2 finger white head that quickly became the thinnest of lace. The beer was a clear amber color with little carbonation.

S- It came across as very malty and sweet. It smelled like sake with a bit of caramel aroma.

T- It was a bit lacking in flavor. It was quite sweet as if it wanted to have a great caramel flavor, but it just seemed somehow unnatural.

M- It was quite thin. For little visible carbonation, it seemed like drinking a highly carbonated pop.

D- Not much (beyond the incredibly low price) made me want to drink more.

Overall- It wasn't a great beer, but it wasn't "undrinkable." I'd rank it with the likes of Michelob Amber Bock. I picked it up at a nicer grocery store outside of the Cleve while visiting friends. I knew I was going to spend a bunch on a couple other beers and the $2.99 price tag on the six pack caught my eye. I have a feeling the rest of the pack may be passed out as novelty beers at my next get-together.

1.02/5  rDev -62.5%

My wife frequently buys odd stray beers when she sees them. Sometimes the beers are dam fine like Okocim Porter other times it is beers like Yinpu. The beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has an odd red orange coloration. The head lasted all of 10 seconds and resolved to a white ring of foam.

Smell: This is terrible! The beer has a very queer combination of cloying sweetness and mineral sourness. In short this beer smells very unappealing.

Taste: The beer has a funky mineral sour soy and maple syrup flavor. This is just plain nasty!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is thin and yet has an unpleasant oilyness. This beer wasnt drinkable in any fashion. I cry the pardon of my sink. I am certain the sink groaned as this hit its throat. Do not buy this one even as a curiosity. This beer may be worse than Sam Adams Triple Bock. This bottle is liquid evil!...

3.03/5  rDev +11.4%

The beer pours a dark amber/brown color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a sweet syrupy scent that boasts of pale and crystal malts as well as "black rice" ? The taste is average as well. It is thick and rich with crystal malts and some foreign adjunct; rice? I don't want to pass judgement on something I don't understand. The mouthfeel is not that good. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a weird brew. I don't hate it, but I won't buy it again. That's for sure.

3.9/5  rDev +43.4%

I did stop to read the other three reviews and I'm wondering if I have the same beer. On mine there is virtually no head. When deliberately splashed into the glass, a short, active foam does form only to disappear completely within a minute. And then the color is only medium to dark reddish brown. I can almost read this screen through three diameter inches of it, though not quite.
The aromas are of dark rice syrup (something you can find in health food stores if not brew supply shops). Very little else is happening in the bouquet, but it is pleasant. An internal blance between roasted bitterness and sugar defines aromatic simplicity. The texture is medium bodied and dense with layers of scorched, sweet rice paste, drip-brewed coffee, soy milk, apple juice and a finish of ample bitterness.
My advice is to drink this, along with almost any rice beer, ice cold. At warmer temperatures it may seem cloying.
This is the darkest, most flavorful Chinese beer I've ever had. If it were available in Michigan I'm sure I'd drink it again.

As the last swallow went down it occured to me: this is a concentrated form of Negra Modelo.

1.8/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours dark amber with a slight haze. Extra thin white head fizzles out quickly and leaves no lacing. Roasted barley nose with strong aroma like vinegar and hot sauce...black rice? Toasted pale malt sweetness, with a mild ricey adjunct flavor and the same weird off-flavor. The aftertaste is cloying with the funky taste not sweetness, but I guess you could say it's balanced if you dig that strange flavor. Medium carbonation and thin bodied, but not quite crisp and kind of watery for an english brown ale. The cloying finish and mystery flavor basicaly ruin this beer's taste and it's drinkability.

3.23/5  rDev +18.8%

What a strange little beer! Definitely not an English Brown Ale, but this one is probably unclassifiable. Pours a hazy reddish brown with a thin head that settles to a ring. Smells very sweet, a bit like molasses with some earthy and grainy overtones. A slight candied pecan smell is there as well. The taste is also quite sweet, but surprisingly pleasant and interesting. Right off the bat you can taste the black rice and perhaps a bit of coconut, which makes it taste like a less sweet version of a Thai sticky black rice dessert. It isn't nearly that sweet, however, so instead you get the slightly smoky and tea-like taste of black tea as well as some of the rice's waxiness. Really not bad, but I'm partial to Sake as well. A little sticky in the mouth makes the drinkability a little less than it could be. Still, I'm glad I tried one.

2.88/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a hazed ruby with no head. Nose is slightly malty, but there is a part of it that seems like it smells like wet wood. Flavor holds very little character and gets watery very fast. For a quick moment you get a malty sweet that holds strong caramelized characteristics. But nothing else comes besides that and when it fades all that seems left is a thin watered down beverage. Feel is good. Nice level of bubble on the mouth. But you get that dirty water, watered down edge. Drinkable, sure. This might have to be "your thing" for you to really go for it. I tried it for novelty’s sake.

2.48/5  rDev -8.8%

An attractive enough garnet color, tending towards brown, with little head retention. Dumping the beer into the glass generates a half finger of ivory head that disappears almost as quickly as it came. A miniscule collar manages to encapsule the brew where it meets the glass. The aroma features little else aside from a soft, lagery roasty darkness, certainly not clean with some flowery esteriness. Dirty enough to pass for an ale. Some sugary, caramel sweetness, bolstered by a buttery diacetyl softness . The flavor is much the same, offering little differentiation from the soft, uninvasive roast character. Some sweet rice flavor. I guess it would be a good brew to detect rice in beer, in terms of attuning your palate to specific flavors. Bright carbonation. Light body. Smooth enough to finish a bottle.
Well, black rice beer sounded interesting. I didn't know rice came in black, or perhaps black just refers to the color of the brew. I got my bottle from HalfTime, just something that caught my attention. I don't know if I'd call it an english brown ale, probably more in the dunkel/brown lager category. Either way, it's a step more engaging from your average international pale lager, with a different malt profile. Aside from that, I'd pass this up for pretty much anything besides macro or euro lager. The tiger on the label gets my thumbs up. I'm also glad to know it was brewed with spring water (probably exotic chinese spring water), since that's an important enough to display prominently on the neck foil. I doubt I'll drop the $1.50 for another, despite the tiger and chinese spring water.

2.75/5  rDev +1.1%

1.75/5  rDev -35.7%

12 oz. long neck bottle with gold foil and has a black label that has a small picture of a Bengal Tiger in a small circle. Above the Tiger is where they say that this is a Black Rice Beer. They really should have put some color into the label to really bring out the beautiful vibrant colors of the Bengal Tiger. Instead the Tiger was just black and gold like the rest of the label, except for the red sash with the title of the beer in it. To the left of the Tiger is a bar with some Chinese in it and to the right of the Tiger is just the brewery's location. The back label just has the importer's name, Government warning, and the barcode. No date anywhere, but there was something stamped onto the cap. I have no idea what it means. It should be mentioned that this is one of the cheapest beers that you can buy. My local store was selling it for just $.75 a bottle! I had some pocket change, so I just bought a bottle.

Appearance: When poured into my Bell's Brewery American pint glass, the beer's color was nowhere near the color of black. Instead it was more of a cherry wood brown with just the slightest head of foam to it. The head of foam didn't have a color to it. It was just clear bubbles. That is IF you can see the head of foam. It just dissipated away in a matter of 5 to 10 seconds. It didn't even leave behind any rings or lace. I'm still disputing if I should have put this kind of beer into a pint glass that has a name of brewery of such high caliber on the front.

Smell: Smell?? I wish!! The only 2 aromas in this beer was just the sweet smell of sour candy and spring water. There might have been some black rice in it, but that was only here and there. You really don't want to stick your nose into the glass and smell this mess.

Taste: It tasted better than the aroma, but that's not saying much. The taste had a pinch of fruit, black rice, sour candy, hops, and some kind of funky taste at the end. They say that 95 percent of Chinese beer uses Formaldehyde in their beer. Could that have been the funky taste at the end? I don't know, I've never tasted Formaldehyde before. The taste was just a whole bunch of little things put together. You get what you pay for and I paid for it with this beer. And here I thought the beer was just going to taste like black rice.

Mouthfeel: Extremely light, thin, watery, and with a light aftertaste of sour candy and that funky taste from the original taste. I don't know what the taste is, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to know what it is.

Drinkability: Like I said before, you get what you pay for. For only $.75 I didn't waste much $$. If you can get it for that price, then give it a try. No way should somebody buy this beer in a six pack. If you did, you would giving this stuff away left and right. I don't think they should have such a cool furiosus animal on the label. That's a powerful animal that deserves a beer with some kind of flavor to it. If it was up to me, this beer would only deserve a small duck on the label.

2.05/5  rDev -24.6%

The aroma is sweet and skunky with some maltiness and not much rice. The appearance is amber with a very small head. The flavor is funky with both sweet malt and rancid rice. The palate is thin. Overall this is a really bad beer. Yeah it's total Pu.

2.65/5  rDev -2.6%

A weird and not very good beer. But then again so is Newcastle Brown.

12 ounce bottle bought at New World Beverage in Chinatown from the dollar bin.

Pours a hazy light brown with a soapy short-lived white head that left no lace on the glass and faded very rapidly.

Smell was rather on the sweet side. Notes of Caramel and a funky sort of alcohol/medicine faintly lingering in the backgound.

Rather bland tasting and non descript. I tasted some rice and at first little else. Out of nowhere some fruity sweetness toward the end popped up. Quickly dried out to a rather less than pleasing after taste some leafy hop notes. Might be a nice pair up with a Szechuan dinner where the spice overwhelms whatever you are drinking.

Thin in the mouth.

Drinkable? Yes, but not something I will seek out.

2.98/5  rDev +9.6%

I swear, this beer cost me a quarter. Not just any quarter, but a Canadian quarter. So why not, eh? Pretty interesting colour for a brown ale. Looks darker than yellow, but not quite brown. Budweiser mixed with puddle water, perhaps. Head was decent. About 1/2 finger, with staying power. No lace. Sweet smell. Reminds me of Molson Canadian. Sweet, close to cloying smell. And a sweet taste. But not overly sweet, lightly sweet. Bit of a roasted malt, or roasted adjunct, taste. I don' t know if rice is used in this beer. Judging by the name, I wouldn't be surprised, but their is a good barley presence. If riced is used, it isn't much. Dry, toasty mouthfeel. Leaves the throat pleasantly parched. For it's unofffensive taste, and cheap price, I had to give it another 1/2 point for drinkability.

3.43/5  rDev +26.1%

Crystal clear reddish brown with bright orange accents at the edges. Yinpu looks for all the world like a red ale. The ecru head is pillowy soft, falls rather quickly to a thin film and leaves very little lace. The nose, strangely enough, smells like strawberries. I have no idea why that should be so. To my knowledge, no fruit was used to brew this beer.

Strawberries are still present in the flavor profile, but aren't nearly as prominent as they are in the nose. The other flavors are mildly toasted grain, a faint--but not unpleasant--sour earthiness (due to the black rice perhaps?) and... not much else. My first few swallows were greeted with a significant metallic flavor that then disappeared without a trace. The finish is short and the body is light without being thin or watery.

Yinpu Black Rice beer is a strange brew. I have no idea how it came to be classified as an English Brown Ale. To my palate at least, it bears very little resemblance to that style. And where the hell those strawberry esters are coming from is anyone's guess. Inasmuch as it was brewed in China, I didn't have high hopes. It's far from bad beer though and is at least drinkable, if not quite praiseworthy.

1.88/5  rDev -30.9%

Aroma: This beer had an interesting, albeit lackluster aroma, a strong smell of rice, with a fait salty edge.

Appearance: A light brown, with good effervescence, reminiscent of a carbonated soda. The small head dissipates quickly, adding to the cola-like appearance.

Taste: The rice and salt character of the aroma is also present in the taste.

Mouthfeel: A thin, light-feeling beer with a pleasant crispness.

Overall, an interesting but not especially notable beer.

2.4/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The sixer at the store was 2 bucks off so I figured I'd give it a try. This is one extremely interesting beer. Pours a river water cloudy amber color. Nice carbonation is present. The pour is unique in that the head fizzles at first like a soda and then dissipates, again like a soda. No lacing is present. The aroma is an odd mix of sweet syrup or molasses and very sweet malts. The scent is invitingly annoying. The flavor I could probably write a chapter on and still not be able to adequately describe. It is very sweet and malty and reinforces the characteristics of the aroma. Thin mouthfeel with a sticky finish that leaves a tricky aftertaste. This beer is an enigma to me, I will not likely look for it again. Very out of the ordinary and unique worth it to try it and see for yourself.

Yinpu Black Rice Beer from Jilin Yinpu Brewery