Royal Dutch Post Horn - Oranjeboom Bierbrouwerij B. V.

Royal Dutch Post HornRoyal Dutch Post Horn

Oranjeboom Bierbrouwerij B. V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: IronDjinn on 03-29-2006)
Reviews by doktorhops:
doktorhops

1.6/5  rDev -36.3%

Bought for a suspiciously cheap price at the local bottle-o ($11 for a six pack). The label says best before 05/2011 which is a bit suss for a macro-brewed lager (they usually don't, in my experience, age well).

Poured into a clay Pilsner Urquell 400ml chalice.

A: The body was a slightly coppery gold colour while pouring into the vessel. The off-white head started out at about 3cm and dissipated to almost nothing.

S: A curious mixture of bread with grains and a slight smell of grassy hops. Not inviting, but also not bad at all. It actually smells like walking into one of those classic outback pubs where there is nothing else on tap apart from a few macro Aussie lagers.

T: Sour or soured? I'm not sure when I taste this if the beer is off or not (it tastes borderline off). There is the classic macro lager taste (Sweet malt grains followed by a sharp hop bitterness) however the sour note is off-putting and I'm not even sure if it was intentional.

M: This beer exhibits typical lager fizz with a watery mouthfeel.

D: Not drinkable to me because that strange sour note (which I've never experienced before in a lager and hope to never experience again). This beer made me wish I had bought a six pack of VB, I soon banish the thought but it's clear that I won't be drinking this stuff again. If I was dying in the Sahara desert and had to choose between a bottle of this and my own urine I would probably consider the urine for at least a moment before begrudgingly drinking the bottle of Post Horn.

Food match: Steak with lots of BBQ sauce and chili-fries.

02-03-2011 07:22:02 | More by doktorhops
WoodBrew

3.13/5  rDev +24.7%

I agree with Jarmby below....not sure why it is retired. I picked up a can while I was in Australia. The beer poured a yellow/gold decent carbonation which created a bubblely white head. There was some lacing present. The smell had rainy malt with some hop present. The taste contained grainy base with some barley flavors. There was a subtle hop and an overall clean flavor. The mouthfeel was fine...came off the pallet nicely. Overall it is a drinkable beer.

10-22-2011 13:35:56 | More by WoodBrew
Ciocanelu

Romania

2.5/5  rDev -0.4%

05-24-2013 14:12:47 | More by Ciocanelu
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

2.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Found a six of this, came in green long neck 330 ml bottles. Best before date 11.09.2006, so I assume it's fairly fresh aside from the long trip across the pond.

Pours out a decent clear golden hue, lots of carbonation, and a big spongy white head. Retention is fairly good, head decsends to a creamy white cap, and leaves its fair share of lacing in its wake. Crisp metallic grains on the nose, followed up by grassy hops. Faintly skunky, but just remotely. Sweet/sour grains up front in the flavour, and it goes straight into a nose dive from there. Well, no, it smooths out a bit in the middle, but then loses altitude quickly from there. Bitter/sour aftertaste that lingers and just won't go away, not a very friendly tasting beer. Not skunky so much as a sour grain bitterness. However for a lager this starts out with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel, but falls into overcarbonated texture on the finish, combing those tastebuds back as it goes down the gullet.

Not a very inspiring lager, considering I shelled out decent clams for it, and it's a new import from Holland. Sometimes I think that foreign countries simply want to send us their crap that the locals don't want to drink, but then I remember that importers tend to enjoy drop kicking this stuff every once in a while on it's journey over, treating it like a redheaded stepchild on its way to my local store's shelf. I'm very sorry, but I can't offer this foreign orphan a home with me any longer.

03-29-2006 02:46:43 | More by IronDjinn
plaid75

3.15/5  rDev +25.5%

Poured a medium straw hue with a half inch foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell consisted of a light grainy malt with some aromatic noble hop.

The taste featured a light husky grain with some corn flavors. There was a subtle hop and an overall clean flavor.

The mouthfeel was clean and crisp.

Overall, when served cold, good and drinkable.

03-13-2007 19:48:05 | More by plaid75
soju6

Missouri

2.35/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Pours a pale straw color with a small head that fades to no lacing.

S: Aroma is quite bland with a bit of malt sweetness and grain.

T: Taste is quite bland with a bit of malt sweetness. No real bitterness and a clean finish.

F: Light body, smooth and bland.

O: Not much to say about a bland non-offensive beer.

06-01-2013 00:44:02 | More by soju6
harpus

Alabama

2.75/5  rDev +9.6%

07-21-2012 18:09:51 | More by harpus
SmashPants

2.03/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle: a big, dodgy silver can. Don't like cans like this, they look... cheap.

Appearance: yellow in colour, low carbonation for a lager. Huge frothy head that dissapears after a minute into a splodgy film. Not enticing - the low carbonation and heavy yellowing makes it look like piss.

Aroma: smells kind of like a cheap lager, funnily enough. That kind of metallic offness that ain't too great.

Taste: off grains with some corn flavours. Kind of off sourness fug, really not a pleasant beer.

Aftertaste: the sour metal taste follows through. Still nasty.

Mouth feel: standard macro lager - light body, high carbonation.

Overall: off grains with some corn, and some terribility. To top that off, it looks like someone has taken a piss. Fair enough, it's cheap. But I would really rather something else. Like a cup of tea, or some dirt.

09-08-2013 08:28:53 | More by SmashPants
jarmby1711

Australia

Not too sure why this is retired as my bottle was in date .
I have marked this as all 3 , being what I assume is average.
This is very much a hum drum middle of the road Euro Lager.
Nothing insulted my senses , and nothing excited them either.
It was drunk as the end of a long days work as a thirst quenching quaffer , and for that purpose it was suitable

02-28-2011 05:21:11 | More by jarmby1711
dcmchew

Romania

2.25/5  rDev -10.4%

11-07-2013 17:53:48 | More by dcmchew
Royal Dutch Post Horn from Oranjeboom Bierbrouwerij B. V.