Black Forest Sully's Irish Stout - Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill

good

Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  4.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: CRJMellor on 03-21-2004)
Reviews by Rostie:
Rostie

02-02-2012 11:41:03 | More by Rostie
CRJMellor

Arkansas

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a deep red with a black tint, 2-fingered lace and some lace.
Aroma of coffee, some gran and oats, alittle chocolate and some dry deep earthy hops.
Flavors of semi-sweet chocolate, oats and coffee are predominant
Mouthfeel starts sweet that cuts off quickly into a dry, vacant semi-alcholic finish.
Drinkability is slightly above average, this beer is a cross between and dry and oatmeal stout and doesn't quite pull it off.

03-21-2004 19:32:25 | More by CRJMellor
tommy5

08-30-2013 12:11:20 | More by tommy5
StoutHunter

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

I picked up a growler of this at Black Forest for $7. I have been enjoying lighter stouts lately and I saw this beer on the tap list so I figured I would see how it stacks up to the rest. Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

A- This beer poured a nice deep dark black color with two fingers worth of tan head that left a little lacing.

S- The aroma is a nice mixture of coffee, bitter chocolate, and caramel. Nice balance. Pretty good aroma for a dry Irish stout, I wasn't expecting it to be this roasty.

T- Just like the aroma the coffee, chocolate, and caramel come into play nicely and are well balanced. I pick up some oats and a slight bit of hops on the finish that I didn't detect in the aroma. I tend to think alot of Dry Irish Stouts are like watered down american stouts but this one is roasty and full flavored, not like any other Dry Irish Stout I have had.

M- Medium light bodied, creamy, and great carbonation.

Overall I really liked this beer. I liked how flavorful and roasty this beer was. It amazes me that they can cram so much flavor into a 4% beer. Drinkability was off the charts on this brew, I could drink this stuff all night and not get tired of it, it was nice to get all the nice flavors of a stout without all the booze. The best Dry Irish Stout I have ever had, I would buy this again and take this over a guinness any day of the week. Black forest produces some quality brews and this is a great example of that.

03-20-2011 04:19:48 | More by StoutHunter
Zaphog

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

05-17-2013 16:58:37 | More by Zaphog
Frozensoul327

4.1/5  rDev +12%

This one I really liked. Poured out to a deep black color with a nice dense foamy head. Medium low level of carbonation hung around and keep the head consistant. Nice, I like that. Aromas of earth, cocoa and coffee were in excellent balance. Taste was well crafted and very enjoyable. Flavors of coffee, mild hops, roasted malts and oats went together very well. Some notes of herbs and brown sugar were also noted. Mouthfeel was very cream and smooth. Pretty good level of drinkability, I bought a growler of this to take home. Recommended.

THE BLOODHOUND FACTOR: Upon popping the growler, the dogs began to salivate. Peaches took a minute to analyze the nuances of the beer, the decided she really, really liked it. That's my girl. Benji sniffed, and decided to pass.

12-11-2005 18:15:09 | More by Frozensoul327
Gtg642

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

10-21-2012 02:15:32 | More by Gtg642
jz989

12-02-2011 16:12:58 | More by jz989
BeerFink

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

I was excited when this one came to the table. Adorning my pint glass was this opaque black stout topped by a frothy finger of khaki colored head. Aromas of caramel and molasses were quick to surface, not quite what I was expecting, but inviting nonetheless. Another whiff revealed some subtle notes of medium malts, but none of the roasty character I was looking for in an Irish dry stout. Although absent in the nose, the flavor of this stout was led by roasted malts with a subdued coffee character coupled by slight nuttiness. A little chocolate and toffee sweetness was also noted. The finish was roasted dry with a touch of hop bittering. The biggest downside of this stout was the mouthfeel. Though Irish stouts tend toward the thin side of mouthfeel, this example was bordering on watery. Overall, a decent, easy drinking Irish dry stout.

05-14-2006 01:59:52 | More by BeerFink
Dogbrick

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

Sample at the brewpub: Deep black color with a medium creamy beige head. Sticky spots of lacing on the glass. Roasted coffee, malt and a little bit of bacon in the nose. Smooth and creamy body with bitter espresso, malt and hops flavors. The finish is mildly bitter and keeps with the coffee theme. Pretty good overall.

12-06-2006 22:29:19 | More by Dogbrick