Lost Sailor IPA - Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill

pDev: n/a
Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill visit their website

Beer added by: nickadams2 on 09-19-2010

3.76/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I was at Black Forest the other day and I picked up a growler of Lost Sailor IPA for $10. I enjoy pretty much all of Black Forest's brews but I really haven't explored their IPA so I thought I would give it a shot. Poured from a growler into an imperial pint glass. Fresh from the brew haus.

A- This beer poured a nice hazy golden yellow with a slight orange tint, it was a little cloudier then I expected. It had three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a nice thick layer that stayed the rest of the time and left lots of nice looking lacing.

S- I pick up a good amount citrus fruits, mainly grapefruit and a little mango. I also pick up some pine from the hops and I get some sweetness from the malts. The aroma was a little more toned down then I expected.

T- Just as in the aroma the citrus fruits also dominate the flavor of this brew. There is a nice blend and balance between the grapefruit and the pine flavors. Just like the aroma the flavor was a little more toned down then I was expecting and it also wasn't as bitter as I thought it would. The caramel malt base is pretty nice and not overly sweet.

M- Medium bodied with excellent carbonation and somewhat creamy.

Overall I thought this was a good IPA. All the IPA flavors were there and were pretty much spot on, but as whole it seemed to be toned down, both in flavor and aroma. I don't really mind it as there are plenty of other IPA's that are overloaded with hops and are pretty bold. I would recommend this a good brew to introduce someone to the style, smooth, flavorful and unoffensive. When I am in the mood for a smooth easy drinking IPA I will keep this brew in mind. (1,665 characters)

3.85/5  rDev n/a

Reviewed on 6/30/2010. Rating #1800!! On tap at the brewpub. Pours a cloudy orange with a white head. Aroma of citrus, hop oils, just tons of hoppy goodness. Flavor of lots of citrus hops and oils with a solid caramel malt base. I don't have much to say here, but it was a great IPA. (283 characters)

3.38/5  rDev n/a

A: Hazy orange color. One finger creamy white head. Nice lacing.
S: Muted hops. Citrus and pine but nothing exciting.
T: Taste is similar to nose. Very muted orange and pine. Bitterness is there but also muted.
M: Nice carbination and medium creaminess.
D: Drinkability is just okay for me because Im not blown away by the flavor.

This tasted old to me. Every thing was there but muted. It just not be a very good seller at the brew pub. Unfortunatly now i can see why. (470 characters)

4.5/5  rDev n/a

A_Pours a hazy burnt orange. Sticky white head. Lacing coats the glass.

S_Heavy citrus,grapefruit,pine.

T_Lots of citrus up front. Grapefruit,orange and lemon zest. Floral hops. Slight hint of malt but this is a hop forward beer.

M_Full bodied and sticky on the lips.

D_Very. (287 characters)

Lost Sailor IPA from Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.