Lost Sailor IPA - Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill

Lost Sailor IPA
No picture uploaded.

Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill visit their website

(Beer added by: nickadams2 on 09-19-2010)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

A_Pours a hazy burnt orange. Sticky white head. Lacing coats the glass.

S_Heavy citrus,grapefruit,pine.

T_Lots of citrus up front. Grapefruit,orange and lemon zest. Floral hops. Slight hint of malt but this is a hop forward beer.

M_Full bodied and sticky on the lips.

D_Very.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I was at Black Forest the other day and I picked up a growler of Lost Sailor IPA for $10. I enjoy pretty much all of Black Forest's brews but I really haven't explored their IPA so I thought I would give it a shot. Poured from a growler into an imperial pint glass. Fresh from the brew haus.

A- This beer poured a nice hazy golden yellow with a slight orange tint, it was a little cloudier then I expected. It had three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a nice thick layer that stayed the rest of the time and left lots of nice looking lacing.

S- I pick up a good amount citrus fruits, mainly grapefruit and a little mango. I also pick up some pine from the hops and I get some sweetness from the malts. The aroma was a little more toned down then I expected.

T- Just as in the aroma the citrus fruits also dominate the flavor of this brew. There is a nice blend and balance between the grapefruit and the pine flavors. Just like the aroma the flavor was a little more toned down then I was expecting and it also wasn't as bitter as I thought it would. The caramel malt base is pretty nice and not overly sweet.

M- Medium bodied with excellent carbonation and somewhat creamy.

Overall I thought this was a good IPA. All the IPA flavors were there and were pretty much spot on, but as whole it seemed to be toned down, both in flavor and aroma. I don't really mind it as there are plenty of other IPA's that are overloaded with hops and are pretty bold. I would recommend this a good brew to introduce someone to the style, smooth, flavorful and unoffensive. When I am in the mood for a smooth easy drinking IPA I will keep this brew in mind.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

A: Hazy orange color. One finger creamy white head. Nice lacing.
S: Muted hops. Citrus and pine but nothing exciting.
T: Taste is similar to nose. Very muted orange and pine. Bitterness is there but also muted.
M: Nice carbination and medium creaminess.
D: Drinkability is just okay for me because Im not blown away by the flavor.

This tasted old to me. Every thing was there but muted. It just not be a very good seller at the brew pub. Unfortunatly now i can see why.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Reviewed on 6/30/2010. Rating #1800!! On tap at the brewpub. Pours a cloudy orange with a white head. Aroma of citrus, hop oils, just tons of hoppy goodness. Flavor of lots of citrus hops and oils with a solid caramel malt base. I don't have much to say here, but it was a great IPA.

Lost Sailor IPA from Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill