Pirate's Porter - Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill

Pirate's Porter
No picture uploaded.

Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill visit their website

American Porter |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: jpmclaug on 12-01-2010)
Reviews by Rostie:

Rostie, Feb 02, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

tommy5, Aug 30, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +9%

I picked up a growler of Pirate's Porter for $5 at Black Forest. I have tried this beer a couples times before but it has been a while since I last had it so I figured I would get a growler and see if it is as good as I remember. Fresh from the Brewpub and poured from a growler into a imperial pint glass.

A- Pirate's Porter pours a deep dark black that doesn't let any light come through. It had three and a half fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thick ring that left a little spotty lacing.

S- The first things I pick up are lots of roasted malts that impart some nice dark chocolate and some coffee flavors. I don't pick up any hops in the aroma, just lots of roasted malts that make this brew a robust smelling porter.

T- The tastes mirrors the aroma nicely, it was just slightly less robust. The malts are heavily roasted and they impart lots of dark and bittersweet chocolate, along with a little bit of coffee on the finish. No hops to be found in the taste, this brew is all about the roasted malts. Pretty tasty.

M- Medium full bodied, creamy, smooth, and perfect carbonation.

Overall this was a very good and tasty Porter. Everything about this beer was pretty spot on for its style and the aroma was one of the best I have found in a porter, the taste was slightly weaker then the aroma but was still plenty roasty and robust. This beer had great drinkability and went down very smooth, I drank this faster then most porter and was glad I had a whole growler to dispose of. I will be getting more refills of Pirate's Porter, its a good go to porter. If you like porter's and other roasty beers you should give this one a try, you will be glad you did. One of the better porters I have had, I would say it is up there with Bell's and Founder's porters. This is another great example of the style from my favorite local brewpub.

StoutHunter, Apr 15, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a growler I received as an early Christmas present

A - Black as can be with a small tan head resting on top.

S - Big roasted notes mingle with some chocolate to make a fantastic smelling porter. Maybe a hint of coffee but not much

T - A nice mingling of roast, with a faint hint of coffee and chocolate. Really falls short of the amazing aroma but it is still pretty tasty.

M - medium to heavy bodied with a light carbonation

D - Pretty drinkable, solid all-around porter. I really loved the aroma and was a bit sad that the taste wasn't as amazing but none the less this is a fantastic porter that I'd be more than happy to drink again.

jpmclaug, Dec 01, 2010

Morakaton, Nov 25, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Black and dark red/brown around the edges with a dark tan head.

S: Fresh roasted coffee and malt.

T: Roasted malt, coffee and slightly bitter dark chocolate.

M: A bit thin with medium/high carbonation.

O: Decent porter with good flavor, but the mouthfeel is a bit watery for the style.

monitorpop, Oct 13, 2011

jz989, Dec 02, 2011

CSFerrier, Dec 28, 2012
Pirate's Porter from Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.