1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Speedway Imperial Stout - Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill

Speedway Imperial Stout
No picture uploaded.

Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 04-04-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 5 | Reviews: 1 | Show All Ratings:
StoutHunter

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%

I got a growler of Speedway Imperial Stout at Black Forest for $11. It seems like every time I stop in at Black Forest they have a new stout on the menu I haven't tried, so when I saw this new arrival I knew I had to give it a try. I got this filled a week ago at the brew pub. Poured from a growler into a imperial pint glass.

A- Speedway Imperial Stout poured a nice pitch black color that didn't let any light come through. It had a finger and a half of mocha colored head that dissipated rather quickly.

S- The roasted malts impart a lot of coffee, and dark chocolate flavors just as you would expect in an RIS. What I wasn't expecting was a good amount of dark fruits like raisins and plums, they blend nicely with the roasted aromas. I can smell a little bit of booze but not much, and I couldn't pick up any hops.

T- At first I pick up all those great roasty flavors I would expect from and RIS, lots of dark chocolate and coffee. After that comes in some dark fruits, mainly plums, this is pretty different then most RIS's but I like the addition of the dark fruit flavors, it blends well with the roasty flavors. It's a little sweet but not too much. I can taste a little bit of alcohol but not as much as I would expect from a 9% brew.

M- Creamy and medium bodied, could be a little more thicker. It had average carbonation, I would have liked just a little more.

Overall this was a nice RIS. It had most of the good flavors you would expect from an RIS but with the added bonus of that dark fruit flavor you usually get in wee heavy's. The alcohol was hidden nicely. While this isn't one of the best RIS's I have had it was still pretty good. With a little work on the mouthfeel this may be able to stand up next to some of the big boys. I would buy this again when I want a good basic not overdone stout. If you like stouts give this one a try. Good job Black Forest, this is another quality brew.

04-04-2011 03:59:02 | More by StoutHunter
Speedway Imperial Stout from Black Forest Brew Haus & Grill
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.