Black Boss Porter - BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.

Black Boss PorterBlack Boss Porter

BOSS Browar Witnica S.A. visit their website
Poland

Baltic Porter |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 04-10-2004

Ratings: 543 | Reviews: 295

I spent summers on my grandmother's dairy, coffee, and sugarcane farm. This porter reminds me of what the giant pots we made "melcocha" in smelled like after boiling down the cane juice. I understand this smell now whereas I used to confuse it with soy sauce. This is by far my favorite porter.

4.94/5  rDev +31.4%

Lets not get complicated. This is a very delicious porter. One of the best i have ever had. It tastes great....period.

4.82/5  rDev +28.2%

Purchased from Nugget Roseville. Poured into SN pint glass.

A - Pours a light brown, with light mocha head. Dissipates slow and appears well carbonated. Leaves a nice lacing.

S - Light chocolate, hickory, light roast coffee, and lots of toffee. Definitely not a west coast porter. :)

T - Toffee, chocolate, hickory and hints of coffee. Slightest taste of spicy hops.

M - Slight alcohol, but not thin at all. Full mouthfeel and very rich.

D - Really good. Great example of a Baltic Porter.

4.8/5  rDev +27.7%

Appearance: Rich Black Coffee Color. 1/4" Caramel Head.

Aroma: Very fragrant. Hints of Molasses.

Flavor: Exceptional flavor. Not just the normal coffee notes. I tasted caramel, molasses and a hint of chocolate. The after taste was almost more enjoyable than the initial taste.

This the best Porter that I've had to date, and currently my favorite beer. I picked it up at the package store for $1.84 for the pint, and was completely blown away. I was really sad that I only got one. Can't wait to get another.

4.77/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Overall, a good brew. Nice nose, texture on the tongue. Smooth drinking, rich, smooth.
If you find it at the right distributor, a great bang for the buck.

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

This is one fine, unadorned, beautifully made straight-ahead Porter. The high alcohol content is nicely balanced by this GREAT beer.

A: Very dark garnet red - almost black.

S: Sweet pure malty scent with hints of dark roasted coffee and some fruit notes.

T: Phenomenal! Down-to-earth with the sweet taste of malts, with fruity notes nicely balanced against a slightly hoppy finish.

M: Smooth, very smooth.

D: From beginning to end - this is one outstanding representation of its breed. I cannot believe it is 9.4% - the alcohol is so well-ensconced within the balance of the whole beer. This is one almost "session" Porter, but at that 9.4% alcohol content - watch out!

This is one big outstanding, robust Porter! Black Boss is a great porter for all us die-hard Porter fans worldwide. VERY highly recommended by Perfesser Homer!

4.74/5  rDev +26.1%

pours clear dark cola brown, 3/4" tan head which quickly dissipates but leaves lasting sticky lace tracings

very malty; minimal hops smell if any, but carmel/molasses sweetness can be detected already in the nose. nothing metallic or unnatural here; lightly biscuit, perhaps subtle raisin.

I immediately loved the thick chewy sweetness which is well-balanced by light bitterness. Molassess overtones; nothing really coffee or chocolate or citrus or grassy, but more towards figgy fruit... Perhaps a little one-dimensional, but wholesome; the alcohol is well-hidden. Very long-lasting, sippable...

medium-light bodied. lightly creamy. not as thick as some barleywines, but definitely chewier than a pilsner. no harsh aftertastes or hop smells at all; the flavor lingered well on the tongue.

I'd compare this to Spaten Optimizer, an imperial stout. It's also sweeter and more palatable to me, than Obsidian Stout, and packs a little more punch than Black Butte Porter, and it's sweetness was more to my liking. I found it at a great price in a grocery store, and will definitely try it again!

4.72/5  rDev +25.5%

Pours black with dark brown hues near the top. A thin head soon becomes a lasting swirling patch. Some lacing is left in its wake.

The smell is pretty robust - chocolate, licorice and walnuts.

The taste is exquisite to say the least. Chocolate and licorice intermingle and work well together. Just a hint of smokiness lends it more character. Late dark fruitiness eventually emergers Nutty, walnuty flavor is support the dark malt throughout, but especially in the finish. Alcohol is very well-covered. Very smooth, velvety.

The feel is creamy and full-bodied.

It's soothingly smooth. Alcohol is well-coveredbut can sneak up on you, as it's pretty potent. Sweet, but balanced. I like the nutty touch that gives it a nice addition to the chocolate and licorice. Just the right amount of smokiness that doesn't overpower, but enough to give it some roastiness. The carbonation is right on the spot. And the beer gods rejoice at this treat from Poland...

4.7/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found this at Tops market in Weaverville, CA. Never seen it before and it was only 3 bucks.

A - Dark appearance. Couldn't tell much more due to being in a dim lit room.

S - Very pleasing aroma with hints os coffee and molasses.

T - The taste was incredible. I found flavors such as molasses, chocolate and coffee. Doesn't get better than this!

M - Smoooth.

D - The high ABV in this makes it a one bottle thing for me. I'm a very skinny person and I felt a decent buzz off of it. So more than one may get me pretty tipsy. But still an amazing beer. Get one!!!

4.7/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been partial to porters since Narragansett Porter in the 1970s and this is a high-ABC porter that tastes good, without too strong an alcohol taste and without too sweet a malty taste. This is a maybe-too-easy-to-drink strong dark beer, and had become one of my favorites. No one in my area has it or can get it from regional distributors so I am buying it from the one place I have found it reliably online.

A: a very dark beer
S: sweet but not alcohol-y
T: mildly sweet, for such a strong beer; easily palatable
M: for me a good level of carbonation
O: one of my favorite beers -- not available in most places

4.68/5  rDev +24.5%

I had seen this in the past, but didn't buy thinking it was a "get drunk" beer. I could not have been more wrong!
Poured almost black but showed dark ruby at the bottom of the glass when held to light. Thick tan head that lasted quite awhile. There was lacing left all the way down the glass. Taste was somewhat sweet and fruity and I noticed coffee as well with a fairly high viscosity in the mouth. I didn't notice any bitterness or alcohol harshness in this beer although it did have a profound good effect on my mood ;^).

I really enjoyed this brew and will have it again. Sooner rather than later.

4.67/5  rDev +24.2%

I might give a slightly bias opinion to this one because it is by far my favorite beer to sit down with. were i reside now its hard to find, and i catch myself making a 3 hour drive to get it!

Black Boss is a dark, baltic porter with heavy notes of chocolate, coffee, and even molasses. it pours easy with its little carbonation, a packs a aroma that the misses would love to have a candle of! the smell for me is the most powerful aspect. the feel is light but creamy, and really doesn't finish as bitter as you would expect with its high alcohol content. its real sweet, at is a great dessert beer, pairing well with chocolate of course. a also find this to pair well with a good tobacco, as i smoke a briar pipe. the taste it leaves you with makes you beg for that next drink!

4.58/5  rDev +21.8%

Black Boss Porter is the first porter I ever drank, years ago when I started to learn that Newcastle wasn't in fact the best beer in the world. It's about time I review it. Poured from half of Pint into goblet, then the second half.

Appearance - 99% opaque black. Beautiful 1-inch creamy tan head.

Smell - Alcohol is pretty present as it's 9.4% ABV. Wheat and grains, maybe a little nutty.

Taste - Caramel, chocolate, toffee. Also some bread and black licorice. The flavors build over a long time. Nice and complex. The alcohol strength doesn't show up as much in the beginning as you might expect, but it definitely ramps up as you drink it.

Feel - Heavy, sticky, a little creamy.

Overall - Awesome porter. Wonderfully balanced and complex.

4.57/5  rDev +21.5%

Pint bottle into glass

A-Poured a solid black with a slight reddish amber hue in the light. Held a decent 2 finger tan head that slowly dissapeared leaving a little lacing but nothing to crazy.

S- Dark malts and coffee up front but a hint of sweetness possibly from mallasses or a dark fruit.

T- Great tasting malts with a solid coffee backround, but once again that slight sweet end from the mallasses or dark fruits makes this beer so good IMO.

M- Medium body that's real smooth going down. Hardly any carbonation with a little bit of dryness. Hate to say this but almost had a slight chalky after taste, but not so much in a bad way.

Overall for how cheap this beer is, it's worth picking up a few. It's a real great tasting porter that I think is a must try.

Skål!

4.54/5  rDev +20.7%

Drank from a 11.2 fl. oz./330 ml bottle purchased at Roly Poly Enterprise, New Britain, CT
Served in a snifter

Chestnut brown in appearance. Lighter in color than expected for the style. The liquid was topped by a one-finger head of khaki, bubbly froth. Splotches of lacing stuck along the glass.

The aroma was amazingly rich and smooth. Tons of dark fruits. Plums, raisins and prunes came through strong. Intense maple and vanilla notes. Generous dose of sweet, bready malts and brown sugar. I swear that I picked up some boozy, bourbon-like notes as well. As much as I enjoyed the smell of this beer, it reminded me more of an old ale than a typical Baltic porter.

The flavor profile was nearly as impressive as the nose. Lots of smooth, dark fruit sweetness on the front end. Dates, figs and prunes were noticeable. Good amount of rich, caramel malts. Some coffee in the center. Touch of roast and smoke as well. Slightly boozy on the back end. For a 9.4% ABV beer, however, the alcohol was very well buried. The crisp, off-dry finish was somewhat steely at first. As the beer warmed, the metallic notes all but disappeared. Like the aroma, the flavor profile was more akin to that of an old ale/strong ale than a Baltic porter.

The beer was medium bodied with a smooth, medium-fine effervescence. Creamy and supple yet a bit thin for the style.

Black Boss Porter is one of the most notable "surprise beers" I have come across in a long while. Furthermore, it paired perfectly with my kielbasa and pierogi dinner. Do yourself a favor by going to your local Polish market and buying a six-pack of this stuff. You will thank me later.

4.51/5  rDev +19.9%

A an amazing addition to a large hearty meal, pairs great with stews (bigos in particular) and one pot meat dishes. The sweetness may turn off some people, I find it quite enjoyable. Be careful of the high alcohol content, if you drink it from a mug you may wake up in a revolutionary war graveyard down the street from your house. (yes i did) The price is one of the many selling points besides its ability to go with food like a fine wine. I am able to get this beer in the 11.2oz bottles for $35 a case, an amazing feat for a porter that is 9.4% If you can find the 16oz bottles even better price/volume. Dangerous them big bottles, because you can slam them like its milk.

4.51/5  rDev +19.9%

This beer beat the hell out of me. Only 500 ml and I was wasted, everyone be careful.

This porter had next to no head with a dark black/brown body.

Huge chocolate aroma with slight charr. Coffee aroma is also abundant, but more of a latte coffee than a fresh corsely ground aribica put through a french press. Vanilla also present in surprising quantities. I do not remember liking a beer so much that was so wimpy on the hops, but this one does it for me.

Massive chocolate and carob taste with big dollop of sweetness. The sweetness is the only thing that negatively affected either the mouthfeel or the drinkability scores. No alcohol apparrent on the flavor dispite the high content (as proven by it totally kicking my ass). Something reminds me of slightly charred yeasty bread, from the brentwood bakery in LA.

This is delicious and am glad it is not locally available as this drink could very easily lead me happiliy to severe alcoholism.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

Well rounded full bodied. Impressive porter from poland

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

9.4% need I say more. Excellent strong beer and smooth!

4.47/5  rDev +18.9%

A- Pours a reddish dark dark brown with a one and a half finger width of tan creamy head. Some thin lacing sticks around on my glass.

S- Big roasty aroma with hints of coffee, chocolate and molasses. I can smell a hint of that big alcohol coming through as well.

T- Beautiful mellow tastes of roasted malts, coffee and dark chocolate. I'm getting a hint of some dark fruits also.

M- The mouthfeel is somewhat velvety and coats the mouth with its rich taste. I wish I had a nice steak to go with this one.

O- I am very pleased with this one. Drinkability is great for the ABV and it keeps me interested the whole way through. Will definitely pick this one up again.

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle (thx milwaukeeclassic!) poured into my Deschutes snifter, Black Boss is a super dark garnet, with an off-white head that leaves heavy sheets of foam.

Smell is huge butterscotch, some crème brûlée, whoa! At first, a bit much, but especially as it warmed and I worked through it, I really dug the caramelized sugar (and didn't get much butterscotch).

Taste is definitely better, any diacetyl is masked by the robust taste, nice smoke, huge caramel sweetness. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is on the still side, a malty viscosity but only medium bodied, digestiable.

Drinkability very good, a really nice Baltic Porter, perhaps a bit heavy handed now, I'll bet this ages wonderfully. For the value price, there's no reason not to stock up on a few and find out!

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

This porter pours near black and has a silky tan head. The nose has a mixture of chocolate, dark fruits and some dry malt. A big malty flavor profile as well. Great balance between a variety of rich and sweet flavors. Creamy body flows over palate. Could drink this 9.4% beer all night.

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

Purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - poured into Tulip

Pours a very dark molasses color with a massively, epic brown head. Smells roasty and sweet. Taste is uber smooth for a 9.4 beer.. very impressive. Very subtle, not spicy or hoppy like most robust. This is a very good strong porter.

I intend on buying this again

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a bottle into a mug.

A This beer pours out like motor oil, thick and black with a small but tan head and good lacing.

S The nose is quite nice with notes of coffee, coco and some sort of fruit.

T The taste is dominated by coffee, some sweet fruity flavor, then finishes with chocolate. The alcohol is very well hidden.

M A surprisingly light mouth feel.

Overall this is an excellent beer and possibly my new favorite porter. It has a wonderful taste is easy to drink and at around $5.00 a bottle a great value for such an amazing beer.

4.38/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh, man. A stout porter for sure. Picked up a bottle by chance at an off-the-beaten-path distributor. Noticed that it was a Polish beer, and having never had one...

A: deep, dark brown-black; fat dark tan head that settled down quickly.

S: dark earth, cocoa, roast

T: like a Russian imperial stout - not as sweet as some stouts/porters - reminded me of a slightly sweeter version of Old Rasputin (North Coast Brewing).

M: thinner than a stout; refreshing almost - not too heavy - very drinkable.

Overall, if you like stouts/porters that are not too sweet (almost dry) and not too heavy - like, it doesn't have to feel like a meal - and you see one of these on a shelf - grab it.

Black Boss Porter from BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.