Black Boss Porter - BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.

Black Boss PorterBlack Boss Porter

BOSS Browar Witnica S.A. visit their website
Poland

Baltic Porter |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: bark on 04-10-2004)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
flagmantho

Washington

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: very dark ruby brown with huge tan head upon pouring.

Smell: subtler than I anticipated; grain, alcohol and a little bit of chocolate.

Taste: nice malt flavor; a little fruity at first but the taste then develops into a chocolate middle and a carameley, almost bready finish. None of the alcohol of the nose is present in the flavor. Frankly, quite a lot better than I anticipated ... this stuff is damn good!

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and quite creamy. Great!

Drinkability: at 9.4%, this beer is dangerously drinkable. I could pretty much quaff this stuff all night long.

This beer isn't perfect, especially in the nose, but its flavor and sheer drinkability have made this one of my favorite dark beers.

09-10-2009 01:35:49 | More by flagmantho
Darkhorse09

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass

Dark black on first pour. Mocha looking head, up to about two inches. Very fluffy and good looking, left nice lacing down the glass. More head than I expected for a high ABV beer. Great color. Dark rubbery black, but when held to the light, a ruby red that is just gorgeous.

Nice nose. Heavy molasses aroma, malty, stickty and sweet. Might be a touch overpowering on the sweetness, but enough complexity to keep it interesting. Coffee, caramel notes.

Taste follows suit perfectly. Very sweet, milky and smooth. Just enough dark cherry and fruits flavor on the finish, mixed with notes of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is very smooth. Good drinkability. Alcohol is hidden quite well in this porter. At this price and quality, it might be one of my go-to sweet baltic porters. Tasty.

09-04-2009 14:43:18 | More by Darkhorse09
brownbeer

Missouri

4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

poured a 16.9 oz into a pint glass.

This beer looked nice, dark with a ruby hue.

The aroma is sweet, milk chocolatey, maple,pancakes.

The mouthfeel is smooth with milk chocolate and molasses.

Overall, well worth the price, great baltic porter. Would definately drink again.

09-02-2009 05:03:59 | More by brownbeer
pixieskid

Germany

1.6/5  rDev -57.4%

Poured from 16.9oz bottle, to an english pint.
pours an unusual mahoganny brown/black.
smell was sweet with slight coffee hints.
taste was very sugary (molasses) which I found to be the definitive taste with little depth. I found the sweetness to be very overbearing and not very enjoyable.
drinkability was low for me, as i disliked the taste, but the high alcohol was not noticable whatsoever.
Mouthfeel was also very thin for an imperial porter.
One attribute I did enjoy was the great roasted malt flavor that was throughout, very strong and enjoyable. Besides the roasted malt flavor, I found this to be a rather unenjoyable beer. As a big fan of imperial porters and stouts, I was very dissapointed.
Honestly I am suprised so many people like it, but to each his own.

08-31-2009 21:36:17 | More by pixieskid
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Dark black which should be no surprise. The first smell is liek Count Chocula cereal, I love it! Robust, chocoalte aroma. The flavor is sweet porter and so easy to drink. This beer was only $2.69 for a 500ml bottle and I feel like it was a complete steal. Fantastic porter from Poland.

08-29-2009 04:47:20 | More by ArrogantB
Psyopticon

4.72/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found this at Tops market in Weaverville, CA. Never seen it before and it was only 3 bucks.

A - Dark appearance. Couldn't tell much more due to being in a dim lit room.

S - Very pleasing aroma with hints os coffee and molasses.

T - The taste was incredible. I found flavors such as molasses, chocolate and coffee. Doesn't get better than this!

M - Smoooth.

D - The high ABV in this makes it a one bottle thing for me. I'm a very skinny person and I felt a decent buzz off of it. So more than one may get me pretty tipsy. But still an amazing beer. Get one!!!

08-20-2009 00:52:55 | More by Psyopticon
weedslegalcousin

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +28.5%

Appearance: Rich Black Coffee Color. 1/4" Caramel Head.

Aroma: Very fragrant. Hints of Molasses.

Flavor: Exceptional flavor. Not just the normal coffee notes. I tasted caramel, molasses and a hint of chocolate. The after taste was almost more enjoyable than the initial taste.

This the best Porter that I've had to date, and currently my favorite beer. I picked it up at the package store for $1.84 for the pint, and was completely blown away. I was really sad that I only got one. Can't wait to get another.

08-04-2009 03:29:29 | More by weedslegalcousin
KarlHungus

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer pours a nearly opaque black color. The head is a mere quarter inch in height, and recedes within seconds into sparse lacing. The aroma is very fragrant. Graham crackers, milk chocolate, roasted and burnt malt. It is a very pleasant aroma. The taste is just as big as the aroma. There is just as much chocolate and graham cracker, and more roasted malt. There is a nice moderate bitterness which I suspect is coming from the roasted malt. The aftertaste is of nice lingering milk chocolate. The mouthfeel is nearly full bodied with lively carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this beer is a nice surprise. It might not be the best Baltic Porter I've tasted, but it is good and easily enjoyable. I wouldn't hesitate to drink this again.

07-11-2009 21:58:38 | More by KarlHungus
DiabolikDUB

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured from Bottle into Pint glass.

Pours a dense black that has some slight deep copper edging with a light cocoa colored head that quickly dissolves into a nice layer atop the glass. The aroma has mostly sweet chocolate and is accompanied by some roasted malts. The flavor has more roasted malts, a lot of milk chocolate and a very light bitterness. Its a very light bodied porter with the right amount of carbonation. This is a pretty watery porter that leaves you needing much more flavor and the aroma is a dominated by too much chocolate.

06-13-2009 07:29:06 | More by DiabolikDUB
markskar

New Hampshire

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

My brother grabbed me a bottle of this in CT, said I had to try it. After drinking one, I have to say, this is the best bang for my buck I've had in a long time. I'm going to try to review based on style, but this only cost $1.70 for .5 liter (16.9 fl oz), so there is a little bias for the wonderful bargain this was, especially for such a strong brew (9.4% abv).

A - Dark dark brown to black, not completely opaque. Nice tan head, decent retention. Well carbonated.

S - Nice malty aroma, hints of coffee. I'm not getting any trace of alcohol, which is rather surprising.

T - Fairly complex roasted malt flavor, with hints of coffee and dark chocolate. As with the aroma, not even a hint of the high alcohol content.

M - Starts thick but quickly becomes dry on the tongue as the carbonation cleanses the palate, with just enough stickiness lingering.

D - Very pleasant and enjoyable. Definitely a sipper, but quite refreshing and drinkable.

It's probably not the best Baltic Porter in the world, but it's damn good, and a steal of a deal at the price I paid. Nasdrovia!

06-10-2009 20:22:17 | More by markskar
medic25

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a pitch black color with a thick tan head. Scent is interesting; malty, maybe some licorice. Taste is quite complex; a lot of smoky flavor, but elements of raisin-like sweetness. The alcohol is hidden remarkably well. Goes down very easily. Maybe a little smoky for my taste, but a nice offering overall.

05-27-2009 02:18:29 | More by medic25
ccrida

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle (thx milwaukeeclassic!) poured into my Deschutes snifter, Black Boss is a super dark garnet, with an off-white head that leaves heavy sheets of foam.

Smell is huge butterscotch, some crème brûlée, whoa! At first, a bit much, but especially as it warmed and I worked through it, I really dug the caramelized sugar (and didn't get much butterscotch).

Taste is definitely better, any diacetyl is masked by the robust taste, nice smoke, huge caramel sweetness. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is on the still side, a malty viscosity but only medium bodied, digestiable.

Drinkability very good, a really nice Baltic Porter, perhaps a bit heavy handed now, I'll bet this ages wonderfully. For the value price, there's no reason not to stock up on a few and find out!

05-16-2009 06:57:52 | More by ccrida
diabecktic

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance:
Head formation is minimal (~1 finger), but the retention and lacing are pretty good. The head is tan, while the beer itself is pitch black. When held to a light, you can see that the brew is actually a very, very dark shade of red. I was expecting more from with respect to the head, but it looks pretty good.

Smell:
Man, is this a treat. I smell a mix of sweet malt and darker, smokey tones. Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and caramel are the dominant aromas. I detect a non-citrus fruitiness that complements the caramel, but I can't quite describe it. Someone below me has described this as almost like a teryaki sauce. As strange as this sounds, it's actually not bad. This is quite unique relative to other porters and darker beers that I've had.

Taste:
The flavor matches the nose quite well. Everything I said above is also manifest in the palate. I will say that the balance is a little different, though. The smokey tones are more dominant in the nose, but the sweeter ones are stronger as flavors - mainly caramel with some coffee. There's definately more malt character than hop.

Mouthfeel:
Mouthfeel is somewhere between medium and medium-heavy. I think the overall sweetness is physically manifest as density, though I won't say that it's comparable to syrup. The sweetness lingers, but more as (coffee) flavor than substance.

Drinkability:
I think the % ABV is high for what one would call a session beer, but you will definately want to sip on this beer. I recommend this for two reasons: it's fairly thick and the flavor is just incredible.

Summary:
This is one incredible beer. For $1.99, you get 0.5 L of heaven that's 9.4% ABV. The wonderful thing is that you can't really taste the alcohol. I really can't say enough about the flavor; the smokey sweetness is quite unique. The closest thing I can compare it to is some sort of wonderful root beer. If you haven't tried this beer, you must do so as soon as possible. At this price, you would be hard pressed to find a better value.

03-14-2009 04:28:49 | More by diabecktic
dudecandle

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Half-liter bottle poured into snifter:

A: Deep black color with the slightest ruby tint when held up to the light. 1-finger dark cappuccino-colored head with modest retention, no lacing.

S: Deep chocolate malts, coffee, smoke, caramel. Awesome.

T: Similar to the smell, with a nice black currant/dark berry making itself more noticeable.

M/D: Thick, rich, a meal in a bottle. The high abv isn't readily perceived, but the rest of it is amazingly heavy. These are not to be drunk quickly, but they're well worth it. And being readily available in most bodegas by me at $1.50-$2 per half-liter, a great value.

03-01-2009 20:52:26 | More by dudecandle
ThirdLap

4.25/5  rDev +13%

Pours a deep dark translucent ruby brown with a short-lasting 1cm thick light tan head. Agitation returns a good amount of head. Little to no lacing.

Nose is dark fruits, dark malts, and soy, with slight hints of bourbon, coffee, and alcohol.

Taste is smoky, with dark fruits, chocolate, with maybe a touch of anise. Alcohol is VERY well-hidden for a 9.4% abv beer.

Feels somewhat full-bodied for a porter, but that's a good thing. It's smooth and creamy going down, which leads to...

...huge drinkabiity. Porters like this are the reason I'm really beginning to appreciate the style. Drinkability is perhaps the one thing that would make me choose a porter over an imperial stout.

I'm gonna look for more baltic porters.

02-13-2009 06:46:37 | More by ThirdLap
Billolick

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

mid sized bottle, w/o freshness/brewing date info. Pours very dark amber, w/ a dark tan silky head, leaving respectable lace. Some smoke and cocoa in the nose, then ripe fruit notes, more smoke and roasty malts. Smooth and complex in its soft flavors and smoky hues. Alcohol (advertised @ 9.4%) is no where in sight. This stuff tastes like its aged. Flavor intermingle, edges are smoothed out and that all adds up to an intriguing and interesting offering. Go find some of this one and enjoy its intricacies.

02-06-2009 03:11:46 | More by Billolick
mykie73

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

$1.99 at World Market. Probably the greatest value beer there is.

A Black with a marble velvet color at edges of glass. thin tan head lacing. looks lovely

S nice smell wood, faint cocoanut and maybe vanilla, also a little weed.

T Smokey, alcohol well hidden. Everything a BP should taste like... something a little metalic, I taste a little Boss lager maybe in it. Very Good.

M smooth on mouth. no burn. thick on tongue and thin as it slides back.

D This is the best part of this beer. At $2 I can afford to get a lot of this. Great Baltic porter and is my staple for what I compare other baltic porters too.

Would love to try this on nitro and cask...or just tap would be fine.

02-05-2009 05:04:06 | More by mykie73
ricke

Sweden

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

Serving date: 2009-01-28. Served in snifter.

Presentation: 500 ml bottle with freshness date on label (Best before 2009-09-26). Recommended cellaring temperature on label.

Appearance: The pour seems black at first, but soon reveals a very dark-brown color with deep ruby hues. The liquid is very clear. 1 cm cappuccino colored head that dissipates rather quickly. Very very small lacings are left behind.

Smell: Cream and coffee with a slightly burnt character. However, most noticeable - and a bit surprising - is a prominent smell of toffee.

Taste and mouthfeel: Coffee and a general roasted flavor, burnt caramel, and notes of bitter chocolate in the middle. In the slightly bitter finish there are more coffee flavors and nuances of toast. The hop character is minimal, and I think I would have liked it to be a bit bigger. The mouthfeel is rather smooth and "calm", with a medium body and mild carbonation. Basically no taste of alcohol.

Drinkability: This is a very good porter, but I must say that I was expecting a little more from it. It could have been a little bolder and have slightly richer flavors. With the well hidden alcohol it almost appears as a very good session porter. But the high ABV would make such a session rather short. Recommended for porter enthusiasts, and I must say that I could definitely see myself buy this one again.

Lastly, the ABV is 7% according to the label. I would really have liked to try it at 9,4%, since I think higher ABV would have served it well.

01-29-2009 16:31:21 | More by ricke
washburnkid

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

I enjoyed a bottle of this porter with dinner tonight. I now feel like I have two dinners in my stomach.

Pours a deep, dark brown/black with copper and red hues in the light. Two fingers of a creamy tan head stuck around for about a minute, and I was able to enjoy the whole beer with a thin film of head accompanying me at all times. No memorable lacing to speak of.

Smelled immediately like a big plate of something smothered in teriyaki sauce. Deeper intakes of aroma featured smoked, roasted malts over a hint of a fresh wheat/grain smell.

Tastes of smoked coffee, toffee and chocolate demanded my attention. Brief alcohol bites near the end of the swallow, though not as much as is expected considering the ABV.

Heavy, creamy body slides down the throat and smothers the palate. Balanced carbonation. The flavors and mouthfeel of this beer make it incredibly drinkable. It took me a moment to accept the heavy teriyaki aromas, but once I realized how balanced and strong this Porter was...I fell in love. Definitely a beer I will be talking about for a while.

01-22-2009 07:24:56 | More by washburnkid
Chelsea1905

Washington

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark chocolate brown with a little cram coloured head which disappeared quickly, not much lacing to speak of

First thing I smelled was Soy sauce. A deep dark fruit background, roasted caramel and toffee

Strong, almost acidic, initial taste of dark fruit followed by waves of roasted malt, dark caramel, and then a backbone of toffee.

Quite bubbly for looking like it had no effervescence in there, and at 9% it hides it's alcohol well

01-22-2009 00:54:09 | More by Chelsea1905
MisterClean

4.83/5  rDev +28.5%

Purchased from Nugget Roseville. Poured into SN pint glass.

A - Pours a light brown, with light mocha head. Dissipates slow and appears well carbonated. Leaves a nice lacing.

S - Light chocolate, hickory, light roast coffee, and lots of toffee. Definitely not a west coast porter. :)

T - Toffee, chocolate, hickory and hints of coffee. Slightest taste of spicy hops.

M - Slight alcohol, but not thin at all. Full mouthfeel and very rich.

D - Really good. Great example of a Baltic Porter.

01-08-2009 03:20:19 | More by MisterClean
StoutyMcHaggis

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

A-Black with a dissapating tan head.

S-Smells just about perfect for a porter, not too many coffee notes, but just enough.

T- Wow, 9.4& and no alcohol taste? Nice and toast to me, really like the flavor. Kinda sweet.

M-Smooth mouthfeel, nothing to complain about. Dry afterwards.

D- It's deceptively strong, I can't taste or smell the alcohol. I still wouldnt drink too many in one sitting.

A great brew at a great price. Really glad I can find this locally.

12-17-2008 05:52:59 | More by StoutyMcHaggis
hopdog

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this one from bottle.

Poured a dark brown color with a red tint to it and a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of roast, chocolate, lactose and a strong nuttiness to it. Tastes of roast, light cocoa, and a lighter nuttiness to it.

Notes from 04/07/06.

12-16-2008 16:46:29 | More by hopdog
PerfesserHomer

Tennessee

4.78/5  rDev +27.1%

This is one fine, unadorned, beautifully made straight-ahead Porter. The high alcohol content is nicely balanced by this GREAT beer.

A: Very dark garnet red - almost black.

S: Sweet pure malty scent with hints of dark roasted coffee and some fruit notes.

T: Phenomenal! Down-to-earth with the sweet taste of malts, with fruity notes nicely balanced against a slightly hoppy finish.

M: Smooth, very smooth.

D: From beginning to end - this is one outstanding representation of its breed. I cannot believe it is 9.4% - the alcohol is so well-ensconced within the balance of the whole beer. This is one almost "session" Porter, but at that 9.4% alcohol content - watch out!

This is one big outstanding, robust Porter! Black Boss is a great porter for all us die-hard Porter fans worldwide. VERY highly recommended by Perfesser Homer!

12-15-2008 22:40:16 | More by PerfesserHomer
WJVII

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured into a pint glass this brew is black, but when held to the light shows a deep reddish color. The head is a wonderful cream, mocha color that last quite well. The aroma is full of a fantastic mouth watering espresso and chocolate tone. The taste does not disappoint. The chocolate and coffee taste is strong, but a slight nuttiness balances the brew and there is even a mild bitter finish. The beer is a little thin for my liking, but that is certainly tolerable and the taste makes up for it. This is a great brew. I have to thank my wife for picking it up while we were out of town at a wedding. Great choice!

11-20-2008 00:44:09 | More by WJVII
Black Boss Porter from BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.