Black Boss Porter - BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.

Black Boss PorterBlack Boss Porter

BOSS Browar Witnica S.A. visit their website
Poland

Baltic Porter |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: bark on 04-10-2004)
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from 500ml bottle into Budweiser branded American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours dark, reddish-black with a very small brown head that is gone quickly, leaving no lace.

Smell:Sweet, roasted malts- almost like molasses. Pretty weak smell, though.

Taste: Tastes of molasses, with a sweetened coffee finish.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and smooth, with only a touch of carbonation. Sticky finish.

Drinkability: For 9.4% ABV, this is a deceptively easy drinker. Overall, this is definitely a beer I would have again, and this is something I could easily do given its low price tag (always a plus).

Mosstrooper, Nov 26, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

A 500ml brown bottle is opened on a Tuesday night in November only to discover it's immediate fate is a Belgian goblet and eventually a thirsty American's stomach.

Black Boss has a nice deep dark brown color with good clarity evident upon pouring. The creamy smooth bone white head is short lasting but leaves great lacing on the glass.

Aroma is sweet and rich with malts. The roasty dark malts are apparent in the nose, as is the alcohol

Flavor is sweet up front with tastes of moleasses, licorice, and raisins. It's big on the malts but doesn't loose it's balances to the grain. Some bitterness, both from hops and roasted barley, is a welcome addition in a beer that seemed too sweet at first.

Mouthfeel is very big on body and creamy smooth. The carbonation is minimal making it a delight to swirl around the mouth.

Overall an impressive beer and one that seems like a steal in today's beer marketplace. Less than $3 for a big beer from Poland? You've got to be kidding!

GilGarp, Nov 25, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a dark clear brown , light white lacing

S: Plum, Raisin, chocolate malt, heavy sweet resinous odor

T: Plum, sweet malt, raisins, finishes with a heavy black malt flavor at first, as it warms, this flavor becomes less noticeable.

M: Very thick mouthfeel

D: As my second porter from Poland, I have to say this one is better than the Grand Cru. This seemed to be less sweet with the alc hidden better. Definitely a good value and a steal at the price point -

alpinebryant, Nov 21, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is mostly black with a little bit of red shown with the light near the bottom. A small tan one-finger head that thins out into a bit of sticky lacing.

Smell is of coffee and and sweet roasted malts. A bit of the alcohol comes through in the aroma as well.

Taste is a nice roasted malt flavor, with coffee and hints of chocolate. A small hop presence as well and a little bit of warming from the alcohol which otherwise quite hidden. Quite a nice well blended flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good. It goes down easy and has a nice rounded flavor. Not so much of a session beer, but I could have maybe a couple a night. But overall a nice brew.

MrStark, Nov 17, 2009

500 ml. A black pour, though somewhat transluscent with brown throughout. Some off white head, minimal lacing. Some roast malt, more caramel/chocolate malt and some peat with molasses. Taste follows suit, more sweetness than some baltics, chocolate, caramel, some vanilla and molasses. not a ton of roast in this, but a little. Chocolate caramel finishing. Solid medium body and almost creamy mouthfeel, especially as it warmed. Borders on too sweet for the style, but still quite drinkable, went down easy. Wouldn't turn this down if offered again. Another, or at least the 2nd good Polish Baltic I've had.

Bung, Nov 11, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

500 ML Brown Bottle. Black & White simple label. Pint Glass

A: Pours a very dark brown with a nice fluffy mocha colored head, which quickly turns thin with minimal lacing.

S: Chocolate and coffee which is sweet and slightly alcoholic.

T/M: Very smooth with a medium to full bodied mouthfeel. Coffee is very strong and plenty of sweet chocolate. The hops used are minimal but still balance the brew out. Malts taste roasted. This brew really hides the 9.4% ABV well.

D: Better than I thought it would be. For the price this one is a great buy, if you can find it.

Cheers!!!

mnrider, Nov 10, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +24.1%

I might give a slightly bias opinion to this one because it is by far my favorite beer to sit down with. were i reside now its hard to find, and i catch myself making a 3 hour drive to get it!

Black Boss is a dark, baltic porter with heavy notes of chocolate, coffee, and even molasses. it pours easy with its little carbonation, a packs a aroma that the misses would love to have a candle of! the smell for me is the most powerful aspect. the feel is light but creamy, and really doesn't finish as bitter as you would expect with its high alcohol content. its real sweet, at is a great dessert beer, pairing well with chocolate of course. a also find this to pair well with a good tobacco, as i smoke a briar pipe. the taste it leaves you with makes you beg for that next drink!

PABSTPUSHER, Nov 01, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Baltic Porter is probably my favorite dark variety and when I can find a good one I grab it,I was thinking this would fit the bill but honestly it wasnt.Poured a deep cola color with a nice creamy lighter mocha colore head,the aromas were very light for the style,mainly I picked up hints of molasses and sweet alcohol.Body seemed really thin to me almost watery,flavors were mild with some mollases and brown sugar standing out most,a mild alcohol infused dark fruit element comes through as it warms as well.I had higher expectations for this beer but it kinda fell flat.

oberon, Oct 26, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

We originally bought this because it is from Poland and my wife is Polish. It surprized us by being a very good beer. It is very dark with a light, creamy mouthfeel. But the flavors are so strong and well balanced that the beer is quite good. It has almost no hop flavor or aroma, just coffee, lots of chocolate, and dark malt. Very drinkable

JimmyK77, Oct 21, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -5%

I poured this one from a 16.9oz brown bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A= This ale poured a dark cola brown with ruby red highlights around the edges. At fridge temp the tan head poured 1" and settled to a thin cap pretty quickly. Not much lace.

S= This thing mostly smelled sweet and alcoholic. The sweetness showed some caramel and rich grain notes while the alcohol was fairly hot.

T= Good caramel and lightly roasted grain flavor up front. Some chocolate covered fruit and an alcohol bite developed midway. The hops were in the background as they should be in this style. The finish was sweet and full of hot alcohol.

MF= Medium bodied with a thinnish mouthfeel and slickness on my tongue.

D= This was a solid Baltic porter but there are so many that are better its hard not to beat this thing up. In fairness, it tasted good and was not hard to drink, so I guess that equated to good drinkability. I just wish the brewers would clean up the finish a bit and tone down the fusel alcohols.

spointon, Oct 17, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance-Dark black, light lacing

Smell- Sweet, sour, doughy and roasty malt

Taste- Sweet, very roasty malts. A good amount of black malt bite.

Mouthfeel- Thin bodied, but so incredibly full flavored that the only thing that prevents this from screaming stout is lighter
body.

Drinkability- Lots of flavor and alcohol detract from this being more than a one in a session brew,

olmatty, Oct 10, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: very dark ruby brown with huge tan head upon pouring.

Smell: subtler than I anticipated; grain, alcohol and a little bit of chocolate.

Taste: nice malt flavor; a little fruity at first but the taste then develops into a chocolate middle and a carameley, almost bready finish. None of the alcohol of the nose is present in the flavor. Frankly, quite a lot better than I anticipated ... this stuff is damn good!

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and quite creamy. Great!

Drinkability: at 9.4%, this beer is dangerously drinkable. I could pretty much quaff this stuff all night long.

This beer isn't perfect, especially in the nose, but its flavor and sheer drinkability have made this one of my favorite dark beers.

flagmantho, Sep 10, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass

Dark black on first pour. Mocha looking head, up to about two inches. Very fluffy and good looking, left nice lacing down the glass. More head than I expected for a high ABV beer. Great color. Dark rubbery black, but when held to the light, a ruby red that is just gorgeous.

Nice nose. Heavy molasses aroma, malty, stickty and sweet. Might be a touch overpowering on the sweetness, but enough complexity to keep it interesting. Coffee, caramel notes.

Taste follows suit perfectly. Very sweet, milky and smooth. Just enough dark cherry and fruits flavor on the finish, mixed with notes of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is very smooth. Good drinkability. Alcohol is hidden quite well in this porter. At this price and quality, it might be one of my go-to sweet baltic porters. Tasty.

Darkhorse09, Sep 04, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

poured a 16.9 oz into a pint glass.

This beer looked nice, dark with a ruby hue.

The aroma is sweet, milk chocolatey, maple,pancakes.

The mouthfeel is smooth with milk chocolate and molasses.

Overall, well worth the price, great baltic porter. Would definately drink again.

brownbeer, Sep 02, 2009
1.6/5  rDev -57.6%

Poured from 16.9oz bottle, to an english pint.
pours an unusual mahoganny brown/black.
smell was sweet with slight coffee hints.
taste was very sugary (molasses) which I found to be the definitive taste with little depth. I found the sweetness to be very overbearing and not very enjoyable.
drinkability was low for me, as i disliked the taste, but the high alcohol was not noticable whatsoever.
Mouthfeel was also very thin for an imperial porter.
One attribute I did enjoy was the great roasted malt flavor that was throughout, very strong and enjoyable. Besides the roasted malt flavor, I found this to be a rather unenjoyable beer. As a big fan of imperial porters and stouts, I was very dissapointed.
Honestly I am suprised so many people like it, but to each his own.

pixieskid, Aug 31, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Dark black which should be no surprise. The first smell is liek Count Chocula cereal, I love it! Robust, chocoalte aroma. The flavor is sweet porter and so easy to drink. This beer was only $2.69 for a 500ml bottle and I feel like it was a complete steal. Fantastic porter from Poland.

ArrogantB, Aug 29, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found this at Tops market in Weaverville, CA. Never seen it before and it was only 3 bucks.

A - Dark appearance. Couldn't tell much more due to being in a dim lit room.

S - Very pleasing aroma with hints os coffee and molasses.

T - The taste was incredible. I found flavors such as molasses, chocolate and coffee. Doesn't get better than this!

M - Smoooth.

D - The high ABV in this makes it a one bottle thing for me. I'm a very skinny person and I felt a decent buzz off of it. So more than one may get me pretty tipsy. But still an amazing beer. Get one!!!

Psyopticon, Aug 20, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +28.1%

Appearance: Rich Black Coffee Color. 1/4" Caramel Head.

Aroma: Very fragrant. Hints of Molasses.

Flavor: Exceptional flavor. Not just the normal coffee notes. I tasted caramel, molasses and a hint of chocolate. The after taste was almost more enjoyable than the initial taste.

This the best Porter that I've had to date, and currently my favorite beer. I picked it up at the package store for $1.84 for the pint, and was completely blown away. I was really sad that I only got one. Can't wait to get another.

weedslegalcousin, Aug 04, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer pours a nearly opaque black color. The head is a mere quarter inch in height, and recedes within seconds into sparse lacing. The aroma is very fragrant. Graham crackers, milk chocolate, roasted and burnt malt. It is a very pleasant aroma. The taste is just as big as the aroma. There is just as much chocolate and graham cracker, and more roasted malt. There is a nice moderate bitterness which I suspect is coming from the roasted malt. The aftertaste is of nice lingering milk chocolate. The mouthfeel is nearly full bodied with lively carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this beer is a nice surprise. It might not be the best Baltic Porter I've tasted, but it is good and easily enjoyable. I wouldn't hesitate to drink this again.

KarlHungus, Jul 11, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -13%

Poured from Bottle into Pint glass.

Pours a dense black that has some slight deep copper edging with a light cocoa colored head that quickly dissolves into a nice layer atop the glass. The aroma has mostly sweet chocolate and is accompanied by some roasted malts. The flavor has more roasted malts, a lot of milk chocolate and a very light bitterness. Its a very light bodied porter with the right amount of carbonation. This is a pretty watery porter that leaves you needing much more flavor and the aroma is a dominated by too much chocolate.

DiabolikDUB, Jun 13, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

My brother grabbed me a bottle of this in CT, said I had to try it. After drinking one, I have to say, this is the best bang for my buck I've had in a long time. I'm going to try to review based on style, but this only cost $1.70 for .5 liter (16.9 fl oz), so there is a little bias for the wonderful bargain this was, especially for such a strong brew (9.4% abv).

A - Dark dark brown to black, not completely opaque. Nice tan head, decent retention. Well carbonated.

S - Nice malty aroma, hints of coffee. I'm not getting any trace of alcohol, which is rather surprising.

T - Fairly complex roasted malt flavor, with hints of coffee and dark chocolate. As with the aroma, not even a hint of the high alcohol content.

M - Starts thick but quickly becomes dry on the tongue as the carbonation cleanses the palate, with just enough stickiness lingering.

D - Very pleasant and enjoyable. Definitely a sipper, but quite refreshing and drinkable.

It's probably not the best Baltic Porter in the world, but it's damn good, and a steal of a deal at the price I paid. Nasdrovia!

markskar, Jun 10, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a pitch black color with a thick tan head. Scent is interesting; malty, maybe some licorice. Taste is quite complex; a lot of smoky flavor, but elements of raisin-like sweetness. The alcohol is hidden remarkably well. Goes down very easily. Maybe a little smoky for my taste, but a nice offering overall.

medic25, May 27, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle (thx milwaukeeclassic!) poured into my Deschutes snifter, Black Boss is a super dark garnet, with an off-white head that leaves heavy sheets of foam.

Smell is huge butterscotch, some crème brûlée, whoa! At first, a bit much, but especially as it warmed and I worked through it, I really dug the caramelized sugar (and didn't get much butterscotch).

Taste is definitely better, any diacetyl is masked by the robust taste, nice smoke, huge caramel sweetness. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is on the still side, a malty viscosity but only medium bodied, digestiable.

Drinkability very good, a really nice Baltic Porter, perhaps a bit heavy handed now, I'll bet this ages wonderfully. For the value price, there's no reason not to stock up on a few and find out!

ccrida, May 16, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance:
Head formation is minimal (~1 finger), but the retention and lacing are pretty good. The head is tan, while the beer itself is pitch black. When held to a light, you can see that the brew is actually a very, very dark shade of red. I was expecting more from with respect to the head, but it looks pretty good.

Smell:
Man, is this a treat. I smell a mix of sweet malt and darker, smokey tones. Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and caramel are the dominant aromas. I detect a non-citrus fruitiness that complements the caramel, but I can't quite describe it. Someone below me has described this as almost like a teryaki sauce. As strange as this sounds, it's actually not bad. This is quite unique relative to other porters and darker beers that I've had.

Taste:
The flavor matches the nose quite well. Everything I said above is also manifest in the palate. I will say that the balance is a little different, though. The smokey tones are more dominant in the nose, but the sweeter ones are stronger as flavors - mainly caramel with some coffee. There's definately more malt character than hop.

Mouthfeel:
Mouthfeel is somewhere between medium and medium-heavy. I think the overall sweetness is physically manifest as density, though I won't say that it's comparable to syrup. The sweetness lingers, but more as (coffee) flavor than substance.

Drinkability:
I think the % ABV is high for what one would call a session beer, but you will definately want to sip on this beer. I recommend this for two reasons: it's fairly thick and the flavor is just incredible.

Summary:
This is one incredible beer. For $1.99, you get 0.5 L of heaven that's 9.4% ABV. The wonderful thing is that you can't really taste the alcohol. I really can't say enough about the flavor; the smokey sweetness is quite unique. The closest thing I can compare it to is some sort of wonderful root beer. If you haven't tried this beer, you must do so as soon as possible. At this price, you would be hard pressed to find a better value.

diabecktic, Mar 14, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Half-liter bottle poured into snifter:

A: Deep black color with the slightest ruby tint when held up to the light. 1-finger dark cappuccino-colored head with modest retention, no lacing.

S: Deep chocolate malts, coffee, smoke, caramel. Awesome.

T: Similar to the smell, with a nice black currant/dark berry making itself more noticeable.

M/D: Thick, rich, a meal in a bottle. The high abv isn't readily perceived, but the rest of it is amazingly heavy. These are not to be drunk quickly, but they're well worth it. And being readily available in most bodegas by me at $1.50-$2 per half-liter, a great value.

dudecandle, Mar 01, 2009
Black Boss Porter from BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.