Black Boss Porter - BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.

Black Boss PorterBlack Boss Porter

BOSS Browar Witnica S.A. visit their website
Poland

Baltic Porter |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: bark on 04-10-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 536 | Reviews: 294
3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a pitch black color with a thick tan head. Scent is interesting; malty, maybe some licorice. Taste is quite complex; a lot of smoky flavor, but elements of raisin-like sweetness. The alcohol is hidden remarkably well. Goes down very easily. Maybe a little smoky for my taste, but a nice offering overall.

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle (thx milwaukeeclassic!) poured into my Deschutes snifter, Black Boss is a super dark garnet, with an off-white head that leaves heavy sheets of foam.

Smell is huge butterscotch, some crème brûlée, whoa! At first, a bit much, but especially as it warmed and I worked through it, I really dug the caramelized sugar (and didn't get much butterscotch).

Taste is definitely better, any diacetyl is masked by the robust taste, nice smoke, huge caramel sweetness. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is on the still side, a malty viscosity but only medium bodied, digestiable.

Drinkability very good, a really nice Baltic Porter, perhaps a bit heavy handed now, I'll bet this ages wonderfully. For the value price, there's no reason not to stock up on a few and find out!

4.29/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance:
Head formation is minimal (~1 finger), but the retention and lacing are pretty good. The head is tan, while the beer itself is pitch black. When held to a light, you can see that the brew is actually a very, very dark shade of red. I was expecting more from with respect to the head, but it looks pretty good.

Smell:
Man, is this a treat. I smell a mix of sweet malt and darker, smokey tones. Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and caramel are the dominant aromas. I detect a non-citrus fruitiness that complements the caramel, but I can't quite describe it. Someone below me has described this as almost like a teryaki sauce. As strange as this sounds, it's actually not bad. This is quite unique relative to other porters and darker beers that I've had.

Taste:
The flavor matches the nose quite well. Everything I said above is also manifest in the palate. I will say that the balance is a little different, though. The smokey tones are more dominant in the nose, but the sweeter ones are stronger as flavors - mainly caramel with some coffee. There's definately more malt character than hop.

Mouthfeel:
Mouthfeel is somewhere between medium and medium-heavy. I think the overall sweetness is physically manifest as density, though I won't say that it's comparable to syrup. The sweetness lingers, but more as (coffee) flavor than substance.

Drinkability:
I think the % ABV is high for what one would call a session beer, but you will definately want to sip on this beer. I recommend this for two reasons: it's fairly thick and the flavor is just incredible.

Summary:
This is one incredible beer. For $1.99, you get 0.5 L of heaven that's 9.4% ABV. The wonderful thing is that you can't really taste the alcohol. I really can't say enough about the flavor; the smokey sweetness is quite unique. The closest thing I can compare it to is some sort of wonderful root beer. If you haven't tried this beer, you must do so as soon as possible. At this price, you would be hard pressed to find a better value.

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Half-liter bottle poured into snifter:

A: Deep black color with the slightest ruby tint when held up to the light. 1-finger dark cappuccino-colored head with modest retention, no lacing.

S: Deep chocolate malts, coffee, smoke, caramel. Awesome.

T: Similar to the smell, with a nice black currant/dark berry making itself more noticeable.

M/D: Thick, rich, a meal in a bottle. The high abv isn't readily perceived, but the rest of it is amazingly heavy. These are not to be drunk quickly, but they're well worth it. And being readily available in most bodegas by me at $1.50-$2 per half-liter, a great value.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

Pours a deep dark translucent ruby brown with a short-lasting 1cm thick light tan head. Agitation returns a good amount of head. Little to no lacing.

Nose is dark fruits, dark malts, and soy, with slight hints of bourbon, coffee, and alcohol.

Taste is smoky, with dark fruits, chocolate, with maybe a touch of anise. Alcohol is VERY well-hidden for a 9.4% abv beer.

Feels somewhat full-bodied for a porter, but that's a good thing. It's smooth and creamy going down, which leads to...

...huge drinkabiity. Porters like this are the reason I'm really beginning to appreciate the style. Drinkability is perhaps the one thing that would make me choose a porter over an imperial stout.

I'm gonna look for more baltic porters.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

mid sized bottle, w/o freshness/brewing date info. Pours very dark amber, w/ a dark tan silky head, leaving respectable lace. Some smoke and cocoa in the nose, then ripe fruit notes, more smoke and roasty malts. Smooth and complex in its soft flavors and smoky hues. Alcohol (advertised @ 9.4%) is no where in sight. This stuff tastes like its aged. Flavor intermingle, edges are smoothed out and that all adds up to an intriguing and interesting offering. Go find some of this one and enjoy its intricacies.

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

$1.99 at World Market. Probably the greatest value beer there is.

A Black with a marble velvet color at edges of glass. thin tan head lacing. looks lovely

S nice smell wood, faint cocoanut and maybe vanilla, also a little weed.

T Smokey, alcohol well hidden. Everything a BP should taste like... something a little metalic, I taste a little Boss lager maybe in it. Very Good.

M smooth on mouth. no burn. thick on tongue and thin as it slides back.

D This is the best part of this beer. At $2 I can afford to get a lot of this. Great Baltic porter and is my staple for what I compare other baltic porters too.

Would love to try this on nitro and cask...or just tap would be fine.

3.72/5  rDev -1.1%

Serving date: 2009-01-28. Served in snifter.

Presentation: 500 ml bottle with freshness date on label (Best before 2009-09-26). Recommended cellaring temperature on label.

Appearance: The pour seems black at first, but soon reveals a very dark-brown color with deep ruby hues. The liquid is very clear. 1 cm cappuccino colored head that dissipates rather quickly. Very very small lacings are left behind.

Smell: Cream and coffee with a slightly burnt character. However, most noticeable - and a bit surprising - is a prominent smell of toffee.

Taste and mouthfeel: Coffee and a general roasted flavor, burnt caramel, and notes of bitter chocolate in the middle. In the slightly bitter finish there are more coffee flavors and nuances of toast. The hop character is minimal, and I think I would have liked it to be a bit bigger. The mouthfeel is rather smooth and "calm", with a medium body and mild carbonation. Basically no taste of alcohol.

Drinkability: This is a very good porter, but I must say that I was expecting a little more from it. It could have been a little bolder and have slightly richer flavors. With the well hidden alcohol it almost appears as a very good session porter. But the high ABV would make such a session rather short. Recommended for porter enthusiasts, and I must say that I could definitely see myself buy this one again.

Lastly, the ABV is 7% according to the label. I would really have liked to try it at 9,4%, since I think higher ABV would have served it well.

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%

I enjoyed a bottle of this porter with dinner tonight. I now feel like I have two dinners in my stomach.

Pours a deep, dark brown/black with copper and red hues in the light. Two fingers of a creamy tan head stuck around for about a minute, and I was able to enjoy the whole beer with a thin film of head accompanying me at all times. No memorable lacing to speak of.

Smelled immediately like a big plate of something smothered in teriyaki sauce. Deeper intakes of aroma featured smoked, roasted malts over a hint of a fresh wheat/grain smell.

Tastes of smoked coffee, toffee and chocolate demanded my attention. Brief alcohol bites near the end of the swallow, though not as much as is expected considering the ABV.

Heavy, creamy body slides down the throat and smothers the palate. Balanced carbonation. The flavors and mouthfeel of this beer make it incredibly drinkable. It took me a moment to accept the heavy teriyaki aromas, but once I realized how balanced and strong this Porter was...I fell in love. Definitely a beer I will be talking about for a while.

3.94/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark chocolate brown with a little cram coloured head which disappeared quickly, not much lacing to speak of

First thing I smelled was Soy sauce. A deep dark fruit background, roasted caramel and toffee

Strong, almost acidic, initial taste of dark fruit followed by waves of roasted malt, dark caramel, and then a backbone of toffee.

Quite bubbly for looking like it had no effervescence in there, and at 9% it hides it's alcohol well

4.82/5  rDev +28.2%

Purchased from Nugget Roseville. Poured into SN pint glass.

A - Pours a light brown, with light mocha head. Dissipates slow and appears well carbonated. Leaves a nice lacing.

S - Light chocolate, hickory, light roast coffee, and lots of toffee. Definitely not a west coast porter. :)

T - Toffee, chocolate, hickory and hints of coffee. Slightest taste of spicy hops.

M - Slight alcohol, but not thin at all. Full mouthfeel and very rich.

D - Really good. Great example of a Baltic Porter.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

A-Black with a dissapating tan head.

S-Smells just about perfect for a porter, not too many coffee notes, but just enough.

T- Wow, 9.4& and no alcohol taste? Nice and toast to me, really like the flavor. Kinda sweet.

M-Smooth mouthfeel, nothing to complain about. Dry afterwards.

D- It's deceptively strong, I can't taste or smell the alcohol. I still wouldnt drink too many in one sitting.

A great brew at a great price. Really glad I can find this locally.

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this one from bottle.

Poured a dark brown color with a red tint to it and a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of roast, chocolate, lactose and a strong nuttiness to it. Tastes of roast, light cocoa, and a lighter nuttiness to it.

Notes from 04/07/06.

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

This is one fine, unadorned, beautifully made straight-ahead Porter. The high alcohol content is nicely balanced by this GREAT beer.

A: Very dark garnet red - almost black.

S: Sweet pure malty scent with hints of dark roasted coffee and some fruit notes.

T: Phenomenal! Down-to-earth with the sweet taste of malts, with fruity notes nicely balanced against a slightly hoppy finish.

M: Smooth, very smooth.

D: From beginning to end - this is one outstanding representation of its breed. I cannot believe it is 9.4% - the alcohol is so well-ensconced within the balance of the whole beer. This is one almost "session" Porter, but at that 9.4% alcohol content - watch out!

This is one big outstanding, robust Porter! Black Boss is a great porter for all us die-hard Porter fans worldwide. VERY highly recommended by Perfesser Homer!

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured into a pint glass this brew is black, but when held to the light shows a deep reddish color. The head is a wonderful cream, mocha color that last quite well. The aroma is full of a fantastic mouth watering espresso and chocolate tone. The taste does not disappoint. The chocolate and coffee taste is strong, but a slight nuttiness balances the brew and there is even a mild bitter finish. The beer is a little thin for my liking, but that is certainly tolerable and the taste makes up for it. This is a great brew. I have to thank my wife for picking it up while we were out of town at a wedding. Great choice!

4.07/5  rDev +8.2%

A: lush and soft mocha colored head. Poured very black and at the base of my glass reflection gave way to deep red. Just about forgot...heavy lacing

S: smokey grains and malt, milk sugar sweetness. Sweet, smokey
and unique.

T: malts up front, milk and honey sweetness cloyingly sweet. Smokiness lingers paired with soft coffee and chocolate. As it warmed alcohol notes came through

M: light creaminess, mild carbonation, and after a few sips a lingering touch of sour milk.

D: it is very drinkable, smooth and not to heavy. Higher alcohol content can be felt half way through. I have not had too many brews like this. However, I would never drink more than one...but worth the try.

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

500mL bottle poured into a pint

Appears a few shades shy of midnight black as it sits on my table but when held to the light is actually a deep ruby red. A big, fluffy brown cap rose and hung around for a long time. Great retention and nice sticky lacing.

The nose is of heavy roasted malt, coffee, bakers chocolate, raisins, molasses, dark fruit, and burnt caramel. The burnt/roasted aromas really dominate, with everything else playing a part underneath in equal doses.

Bittersweet, baker's chocolate really shines through on the palate, giving way to the burnt caramel and finishing with a rush of dark fruit and ehtanol.

Very little carbonation and a tad thin. Lacking a fullness that would really make this beer shine.

If I didn't look it up here, I wouldn't have known that the abv was clocking in at 9.4%. This is scary drinkable, mainly due to the thin body. Careful, this guy could hurt you in later rounds.

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

This porter is an amazing quality bang for the buck, this is a great tasting porter with an alcohol content of a stout. This is a super rich, saturated porter with hella flavor of coffee, chocolate and well... hops & barley!!! This porter is a bit chewy as far as porters go but its still a good bet if you can only grab one bottle.

3.92/5  rDev +4.3%

S = Lots of chocolate with hints of caramel and brown sugar.

T = Lots of roasted malt goodness with some fig and cocoa in the mix. There is no perceived bitterness. The finish doesn't last very long. The alcohol completely hidden.

MF = Slightly watery, thin body, moderate carbonation....yet, creamy and very easy to drink.

Overall, this is a very tasty Baltic Porter, but I just wish the finish was a little longer lasting. Other than that, I truly enjoyed this offering and will seek it out again.

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Picked this 500 ml bottle up at the Bier Stein in Eugene (but mine was green--boo--though the one in the pic is brown). I was trolling the coolers for domestic craft beers I can't find at home, but when I spotted this bad-ass sounding porter in the Polish section, I caved. 9.4%? Count me in! The label says Since 1848, but I somehow doubt they went this big 160 years ago but I wasn't there, so who knows.

Pours pitch brown and sparkles like rubies when held up to the light. Delightfully roasty chocolate on the tongue and mellow mouthfeel everywhere else. As it happens, I discovered this pairs well with chocolate cream pie if, like me, you happen to have some leftover in your fridge. Despite being bold heavy, it's surprisingly drinkable, meaning you don't have to stop at one, but at that high alcohol, I'd advice stopping at two.

Zum wohl.

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Thanks to BigMcLargeHuge for this one.

A: Pours a nice black/brown hue with a solid one finger head. Good retention and some lace noted.

S: Nice blast of roasted malt with hints of coffee, brown sugar, and caramel.

T: Nice roasted malt flavor, very earthy and smokey. Chocolate and Coffee really stand out as does some dark fruit. A touch of black licorice and black currant in the finish. I like!

M: Medium in body, smooth and creamy.

D: Yeah, the best Baltic Porter I have ever had.

4.01/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle@home

A: Very black with a nice brown lace. Beautiful.

S: Raisins, Molasses, Bitter chocolate, Ripe fruit.

T: Espresso, Ripe fruit, Chocolate, Roasted grain, Caramel.

M: Very smooth and quite thin liquid makes this an easy drink. Very little carbonation.

This brew is just dangerously drinkable for a 9.4% ABV porter. It's been sitting in my beerpantry for about a year and it has improved quite a bit. It feels alot smoother now. I could easily have a few of these in one evening. Recommended!

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

This porter pours near black and has a silky tan head. The nose has a mixture of chocolate, dark fruits and some dry malt. A big malty flavor profile as well. Great balance between a variety of rich and sweet flavors. Creamy body flows over palate. Could drink this 9.4% beer all night.

3.87/5  rDev +2.9%

500 ml bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane, WA. Pours a very dark brown, some vaguely red highlights. Very little hear, very little lacing. Smell is dominated by roasted malts, coffee, caramel, maybe some distant earthy hops. Taste follows suit, very sweet roasted malts, coffee, caramel, with a slight bitterness at the end. Mouthfeel is very smooth, moderate to minimal carbonation. I didn't expect much when I picked this beer up, sort of expected it to be very similar to the Baltika porter--but this is actually a really nice, very drinkable beer. ABV is very well hidden. I'd pick this up again, especially at this price.

4.09/5  rDev +8.8%

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown, almost black color with reddish hues and a one finger brown creamy head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing. This smells like a port wine: raisins, oak, sweet cherry. Big flavors of raisins and caramel up front with a bitter chocolate & hoppy finish. Light carbonation, heavy body this beer has a smooth creamy mouthfeel with a dry finish. Surprisingly easy drinking for 9.4% ABV, you taste the alcohol but it doesn't dominate and for $1.49 price tag, a bargain worth enjoying.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Black Boss Porter from BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.