City Steam Innocence Ale (IPA) - City Steam Brewery Café

City Steam Innocence Ale (IPA)City Steam Innocence Ale (IPA)

good

City Steam Brewery Café visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Be forewarned: One too many of these babies and you'll be seeing double! This traditional IPA is anything but what the name suggests. Bookended between a lush abundance of sweet malt and bitter hops, this fine American INDIA PALE ALE is made for (and approved by) serious beer drinkers! Our third and most recent bottled offering, it is available in stores throughout Connecticut. Brewed to a gravity of 18 Plato, it boasts an international menagerie of expensive hops, including CTZ, Zythos, East Kent Goldings, and, oddly enough, Czech Sazz. Our Brewmaster sazz you need to come in for a taste.

(Beer added by: far333 on 05-13-2003)
Reviews by VelvetExtract:
4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

A-What an interesting pour. A dull, dimly-lit amber color. Very cloudy. Head is almost nonexistent directly after the pour but a cluster of fat bubbles rise from the upper quarter of the beer and birth a nice head…then the head dies off. Interesting lacing squiggles too.

S-Heavy citrus. I need to get better at recognizing my hop varietals because the nose of this beer is pungent with an all-too-familiar hop aroma. Lightly spicy clementine flesh hops. Grains and a caramel malt base. Juicy hops. I am quite interested.

T-Fresh and juicy and ripe with hoppiness. The hops stress citrus much more than any other fruit. Resinous pine sets in after the citrus. Hops are also a bit herbal. I truly enjoy the hop bouquet here. Malt is a secondary element here. There is some balance but the hops wield a coercive edge over the sweetness and I love it. Very interesting flavor. I have had IPAs like it before but it is oddly unique.

M-Exceptionally resinous for a non-imperial IPA. Carbonation is not intense but vibrating and consistent. Has the body of a DIPA. Full and round and enjoyable. Finishes with a bitter coating that lasts.

O/D-Seen this one all over the place. Love the label art. I wasn't' impressed by the $12 sixer price. But I went with it and I was very happy with the result. Its unique! I don't have the vernacular to truly explain why it is unique but its a gem. I really liked this beer. Its damn bitter too.

VelvetExtract, Aug 04, 2012

Tiernan, Feb 10, 2013

woodchipper, Apr 20, 2013

tim6298, Oct 30, 2013
3.65/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, w/o any freshness info that I can find

Pours fairly clear lighter almond amber, fine bubble off white head, goes to a fine collar and nice scattered low lacing.

I get mostly some sweet malts in the nose

Full bodied IPA with more then ample malting (can we talk-its on the sweet side)
and some (not enough) hops in the finish

I really dont like sweet IPAs

This one could use more hops

Malty and a bit on the boozy side.

Meh, not my favorite IPA....worth a try if you like strong IPAs that are on the malty side

Billolick, Aug 01, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance: high carbonation, 1 inch head, hazy, amber in color

Smell: pine and citrus hops with light caramel

Taste: grapefruity citrus hops dominate with piney and earthy hops along with bready caramel

Mouthfeel: Bitter with light sweetness and a dry bitter aftertaste, light body, high carbonation

Overall: An average IPA that is on the bitter side but true to style. Not bad, but nothing distinguishes this one from countless other IPAs I have had. I will pass on this in the future.

tigg924, Jan 02, 2014

Milkysunshine, Nov 07, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Dark amber color, with low carbonation and small head, as expected for a cask beer. I expected some aroma, but there was none really to speak of. Very nice round mouthfeel as the hops bitter hits the tongue. Hops is accented with fruit and flowery undertones, and then the bitter returns and lingers in the back. The hops flavoring is less than I expected for an IPA, but this is still a very enjoyable and drinkable beer.

far333, May 13, 2003

1.25/5  rDev -65.3%

Enriquehopnog, Nov 25, 2013
3.81/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Grabbed a single in a mix a six.

Pours bright amber with light layer of white foam. Patchy top. Laces well. Caramel malty smell. Toffee too. Taste is a firm bitter hop - lots of pine like oils. Grapefruit too. Rich full mouthfeel, excellent flavor.

Good stuff coming to bottles from this Hartford brewer.

KTCamm, Feb 24, 2013

TimRex, Feb 28, 2013

DomingoOrtiz, Jun 13, 2013

logicalparadox, Jul 31, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

“Born on date” of 7-31-2012, consumed on 9/29/12, poured into a Corsendonk tulip (my standard taster). The six-pack carton states an ABV of 7.5%.

A – Light copper with a white head that recedes quickly. Left some frothy lace on the glass as I sipped.

S – Malty sweetness, a hint of alcohol. Some resiny hoppiness in the nose, but not much. Is this one beyond its prime?

T – Sweet malty start with wave after wave of bitterness. A slightly piney, but very resinous bitter finish that really lasts. The sweetness lingers as well. Plenty bitter, but not a ton of hop flavor. But even with all that bitterness the malt really holds its own.

M – A bit sticky with medium to full-bodied mouthfeel. Appropriate carbonation.

O – Both my wife and I thought that the flavor profile was not unlike an aged barleywine, a la Bigfoot, just less boozy-and that’s not a bad thing. Still, I’ll wager that this one was more enjoyable 6 weeks ago. I’ll have no problem finishing the sixer, but I hope I have the opportunity to try a fresh one. At $13 for the six I was expecting more.

andylipp, Sep 29, 2012