City Steam Innocence Ale (IPA) - City Steam Brewery Café

City Steam Innocence Ale (IPA)City Steam Innocence Ale (IPA)

good

City Steam Brewery Café visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Be forewarned: One too many of these babies and you'll be seeing double! This traditional IPA is anything but what the name suggests. Bookended between a lush abundance of sweet malt and bitter hops, this fine American INDIA PALE ALE is made for (and approved by) serious beer drinkers! Our third and most recent bottled offering, it is available in stores throughout Connecticut. Brewed to a gravity of 18 Plato, it boasts an international menagerie of expensive hops, including CTZ, Zythos, East Kent Goldings, and, oddly enough, Czech Sazz. Our Brewmaster sazz you need to come in for a taste.

(Beer added by: far333 on 05-13-2003)
Reviews by tigg924:
tigg924

2.93/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance: high carbonation, 1 inch head, hazy, amber in color

Smell: pine and citrus hops with light caramel

Taste: grapefruity citrus hops dominate with piney and earthy hops along with bready caramel

Mouthfeel: Bitter with light sweetness and a dry bitter aftertaste, light body, high carbonation

Overall: An average IPA that is on the bitter side but true to style. Not bad, but nothing distinguishes this one from countless other IPAs I have had. I will pass on this in the future.

01-02-2014 15:27:15 | More by tigg924

10-30-2013 12:04:40 | More by tim6298
Billolick

3.65/5  rDev +2%

12 ounce bottle, w/o any freshness info that I can find

Pours fairly clear lighter almond amber, fine bubble off white head, goes to a fine collar and nice scattered low lacing.

I get mostly some sweet malts in the nose

Full bodied IPA with more then ample malting (can we talk-its on the sweet side)
and some (not enough) hops in the finish

I really dont like sweet IPAs

This one could use more hops

Malty and a bit on the boozy side.

Meh, not my favorite IPA....worth a try if you like strong IPAs that are on the malty side

07-31-2013 23:12:30 | More by Billolick
Milkysunshine

11-07-2012 23:44:12 | More by Milkysunshine
far333

3.68/5  rDev +2.8%

Dark amber color, with low carbonation and small head, as expected for a cask beer. I expected some aroma, but there was none really to speak of. Very nice round mouthfeel as the hops bitter hits the tongue. Hops is accented with fruit and flowery undertones, and then the bitter returns and lingers in the back. The hops flavoring is less than I expected for an IPA, but this is still a very enjoyable and drinkable beer.

05-13-2003 03:58:14 | More by far333

1.25/5  rDev -65.1%

11-25-2013 15:44:09 | More by Enriquehopnog
KTCamm

3.81/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Grabbed a single in a mix a six.

Pours bright amber with light layer of white foam. Patchy top. Laces well. Caramel malty smell. Toffee too. Taste is a firm bitter hop - lots of pine like oils. Grapefruit too. Rich full mouthfeel, excellent flavor.

Good stuff coming to bottles from this Hartford brewer.

02-24-2013 17:29:43 | More by KTCamm

logicalparadox

07-31-2014 12:38:30 | More by logicalparadox
andylipp

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

“Born on date” of 7-31-2012, consumed on 9/29/12, poured into a Corsendonk tulip (my standard taster). The six-pack carton states an ABV of 7.5%.

A – Light copper with a white head that recedes quickly. Left some frothy lace on the glass as I sipped.

S – Malty sweetness, a hint of alcohol. Some resiny hoppiness in the nose, but not much. Is this one beyond its prime?

T – Sweet malty start with wave after wave of bitterness. A slightly piney, but very resinous bitter finish that really lasts. The sweetness lingers as well. Plenty bitter, but not a ton of hop flavor. But even with all that bitterness the malt really holds its own.

M – A bit sticky with medium to full-bodied mouthfeel. Appropriate carbonation.

O – Both my wife and I thought that the flavor profile was not unlike an aged barleywine, a la Bigfoot, just less boozy-and that’s not a bad thing. Still, I’ll wager that this one was more enjoyable 6 weeks ago. I’ll have no problem finishing the sixer, but I hope I have the opportunity to try a fresh one. At $13 for the six I was expecting more.

09-29-2012 21:35:30 | More by andylipp

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

05-14-2013 21:17:35 | More by Chegui
StoutHunter

4.01/5  rDev +12%

I got a bottle of City Steam's Innocence Ale last week in a trade with @Motozappa, Thanks a lot! I've never heard of this brewery till Motozappa mentioned it and I'm interested to see what this beer is all about, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks really nice, it's got a nice design to it with a provocative librarian in the middle and they even recommend it to librarians, I think it's pretty eye catching, I know if I saw this on the shelf it would catch my eye. It poured a orange color that took on slightly golden hue and it took on more of a darker orange color when held to the light with two fingers worth of dense looking off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I really liked the color and the head and lacing weren't bad at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart some light floral and light piney hops aromas with the citrus and fruit hops sticking out the most with some nice grapefruit and citrus rind aroma with a nice and slightly lighter juicy aspect in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart some caramel malt and bread crust like aromas with some lighter sweet malt aromas in the background along with a very light amount of doughy yeast. This beer had a pretty good aroma, the hop profile was nice and it had good balance to it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart some nice caramel malt and bread crust flavor with a slight grainy flavor in the background along with a very light amount of doughy yeast. Up next comes the hops which impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but there's also a light spicy hop aspect and the citrus rind hops seem to stick out the most, but not by much. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a grainy, caramel malt and citrus rind hop aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, it had nice balance to it and it wasn't overly bitter.

M- Smooth, clean, a little crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good, it was true to style and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of an IPA, the description on Beeradvocate says that this is a traditional and old school IPA and I think it fits in to the category well, instead of fancy hops it relies on balance and I like that. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little crisp, not too filing and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, if I had another one I would drink it and I think two or three of these would be the prefect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, it was pretty much perfect and neither aspect was too overpowering. What I like the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't any aspect that was lacking. I would buy this beer if I ever had the chance and I would recommend it to people who like simple and drinkable IPA's. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it pretty much delvered everything that It said it would, but I'm not sure this one will be the talk of the librarian community. This beer made for a good first impression of this brewery and I hope I can try some more of their beers. Good job guys, this was a very solid IPA and I hope to try some more of your beers in the future.

03-12-2014 03:50:12 | More by StoutHunter