City Steam Innocence Ale (IPA) - City Steam Brewery Café

City Steam Innocence Ale (IPA)City Steam Innocence Ale (IPA)

good

City Steam Brewery Café visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Be forewarned: One too many of these babies and you'll be seeing double! This traditional IPA is anything but what the name suggests. Bookended between a lush abundance of sweet malt and bitter hops, this fine American INDIA PALE ALE is made for (and approved by) serious beer drinkers! Our third and most recent bottled offering, it is available in stores throughout Connecticut. Brewed to a gravity of 18 Plato, it boasts an international menagerie of expensive hops, including CTZ, Zythos, East Kent Goldings, and, oddly enough, Czech Sazz. Our Brewmaster sazz you need to come in for a taste.

(Beer added by: far333 on 05-13-2003)

4.5/5  rDev +25%

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

3.96/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I'm a hophead, so this is a good beer for me. Highlights a number of great hops in both flavor and aroma. Very common of a northwest IPA and nice to see a bold IPA in the northeast. The bottle I had was 20 days old, so still fresh and relatively young.

A little more malt body or higher lovibond would give more balance and tone down the hops and make it a better transition IPA while still focusing on the hop profile.

Overall this is a very hop forward IPA and very good for what I expect for the style

4.01/5  rDev +11.4%

I got a bottle of City Steam's Innocence Ale last week in a trade with @Motozappa, Thanks a lot! I've never heard of this brewery till Motozappa mentioned it and I'm interested to see what this beer is all about, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks really nice, it's got a nice design to it with a provocative librarian in the middle and they even recommend it to librarians, I think it's pretty eye catching, I know if I saw this on the shelf it would catch my eye. It poured a orange color that took on slightly golden hue and it took on more of a darker orange color when held to the light with two fingers worth of dense looking off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I really liked the color and the head and lacing weren't bad at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart some light floral and light piney hops aromas with the citrus and fruit hops sticking out the most with some nice grapefruit and citrus rind aroma with a nice and slightly lighter juicy aspect in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart some caramel malt and bread crust like aromas with some lighter sweet malt aromas in the background along with a very light amount of doughy yeast. This beer had a pretty good aroma, the hop profile was nice and it had good balance to it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart some nice caramel malt and bread crust flavor with a slight grainy flavor in the background along with a very light amount of doughy yeast. Up next comes the hops which impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but there's also a light spicy hop aspect and the citrus rind hops seem to stick out the most, but not by much. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a grainy, caramel malt and citrus rind hop aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, it had nice balance to it and it wasn't overly bitter.

M- Smooth, clean, a little crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good, it was true to style and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of an IPA, the description on Beeradvocate says that this is a traditional and old school IPA and I think it fits in to the category well, instead of fancy hops it relies on balance and I like that. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little crisp, not too filing and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, if I had another one I would drink it and I think two or three of these would be the prefect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, it was pretty much perfect and neither aspect was too overpowering. What I like the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't any aspect that was lacking. I would buy this beer if I ever had the chance and I would recommend it to people who like simple and drinkable IPA's. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it pretty much delvered everything that It said it would, but I'm not sure this one will be the talk of the librarian community. This beer made for a good first impression of this brewery and I hope I can try some more of their beers. Good job guys, this was a very solid IPA and I hope to try some more of your beers in the future.

3.96/5  rDev +10%

I see that others have rated this lower than I do. Not sure why. I think this is a robust IPA with only a small deficiency on the nose.

I like the substantial body on this beer and the color is right in the IPA range. There isn't a lot of hoppy fragrance on the nose. But, on the other hand, the Czech hops don't make much of an appearance in this brew.

Recommended.

2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance: high carbonation, 1 inch head, hazy, amber in color

Smell: pine and citrus hops with light caramel

Taste: grapefruity citrus hops dominate with piney and earthy hops along with bready caramel

Mouthfeel: Bitter with light sweetness and a dry bitter aftertaste, light body, high carbonation

Overall: An average IPA that is on the bitter side but true to style. Not bad, but nothing distinguishes this one from countless other IPAs I have had. I will pass on this in the future.

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

1.25/5  rDev -65.3%

3.78/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a hazy copper amber color with a little bit of clarity and bubbles seen coming up through the glass. Nice lacing on the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Citrus, grapefruit, tangerine, caramel, and grassy hops.

Taste: Tangerine, grapefruit, orange, grassy, and lemon/lime hops followed by caramel malts and mild hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, a little bitter, a little creamy, medium bodied, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Pretty nice IPA from Hartford. A new reason to stop there when driving on 84.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%