Prohibition Ale - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Prohibition AleProhibition Ale

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prohibition Ale Alström Bros
mattdavis452

1.83/5  rDev -52.6%

A: A very nice, deep amber color, with good lace characteristics.

S: Smells slightly of roses, go figure. Other smells are difficult to detect, but retains typical smell of a well balanced APA.

T: Once I got to the taste, it threw all my positive indicators out the window. Personally, this is one of the worst-tasting beers I've ever tried (although I haven't reviewed many for BA.com). I find myself at a loss for words regarding the taste of this beer. I would be tempted to say "Fat Tire gone utterly wrong," but that would insult Fat Tire Ale.

M: An average, slightly crisp mouthfeel. However, once the taste of it hit the buds on my tongue, I didn't care much to think about mouthfeel.

D: Due to the terrible taste, I didn't even finish this. As stated above, one of the worst beers I've ever tried, so I hardly consider it drinkable.

11-14-2005 09:50:58 | More by mattdavis452
jfcaa193

Connecticut

02-19-2012 03:38:44 | More by jfcaa193
JoshuaMason

2.08/5  rDev -46.1%

Vintage: 2014
Appearance: Rich, red amber; tan, bubbly head; zero lace; low visible carbonation
Smell: Caramel; Molases; Dates; Diacetyl
Taste: Cola; Citrus Hops; kinda like a cheap soda… like Shasta.
Mouth-feel: Medium Carbonation; Thin body; sticky, sugary
Overall: Not good at all. Really disappointed in this one, because I have respect for Speakeasy and generally love their beers. Too bad.

03-09-2014 03:47:30 | More by JoshuaMason
mithrascruor

2.45/5  rDev -36.5%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber brown with a minimal tan head.

Smell: Unique malty aroma with coriander and cocoa.

Taste: Cocoa powder and caramel. Seriously strange.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation - I think the carbonation reinforces the thought of cocoa powder in my brain, and makes it not so smooth.

Drinkability: Moderate ABV, but strange.

Dunno if I got a bad bottle of this or not. Pretty sure I had this on tap in SF - and it was much different (and better!). Perhaps the strangest beer I've ever tasted.

06-04-2011 01:36:17 | More by mithrascruor
kojevergas

2.48/5  rDev -35.8%

Served on-draught into a plastic cup at Speakeasy's decrepit warehouse - I mean brewpub. Reviewed from notes. Why does a brewery see fit to serve their beer into plastic cups? I may never know.

A: Pours a one finger head of fair cream and thickness, and okay retention. Colour is a dark copper.

Sm: Amber hops and other bittering hops. Perhaps too many hops for the balance? A decent aroma.

T: Amber hops and weak cream - that's it. It's simple garbage. Imbalanced and weak.

Mf: Smooth and wet. It suits the flavour okay, I guess. No real depth, layering, or complexity. It doesn't seem as though they tailored the texture to the taste at all.

Dr: Drinkable but low quality, and expensive at that. I wouldn't try it again if I had to pay for it. A disappointment from Speakeasy. As a side note, beer probably did taste this crappy during prohibition due to limited brewing methods.

12-24-2011 21:13:49 | More by kojevergas

07-09-2014 01:26:30 | More by HeavyDandtheGirls
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.53/5  rDev -34.5%

Pours with a two-finger bubbly white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Clear amber color. Medium bodied. Hoppy nose. Medium carbonation. The brewer says: "perfect balance between caramel maltiness and its aggressive hopping" well, the aggressive hopping dominates any caramel maltiness, there is a little sweetness in the background but not much. $2.25 for a 12oz bottle from Vintage Cellar, Blacksburg, VA.

09-23-2004 22:58:46 | More by jdhilt
jbaakko

2.61/5  rDev -32.4%

This is going to be a great review...

I bought this bottle after hearing it was great. The Shop owner said it's one of his favorites from Speakeasy.

The bottle is claimed to be a hoppy ale. It wasn't hoppy at all, and quite watery. Tasted better from the bottle than in a glass, but yet I wasn't impressed. After a short message from Speakeasy on Instagram, I'm considering trying a second bottle when I see it again. Maybe then I can re-do my review and rate it higher.

06-27-2013 13:29:39 | More by jbaakko
vitALEity

2.63/5  rDev -31.9%

I used to get this in bottles as a semi regular "staple" when I wanted a break from my normal IPA's but still wanted something hoppy and with a nice malt balance. This always worked for that and then all of a sudden THEY CHANGE IT! The last two times Ive had it recently the hops have all but disappeared from the aroma and taste and now its all some sort of caramel/chocalate/carafe malt. Why Speakeasy? Why!?

08-31-2011 00:14:47 | More by vitALEity
DrJay

2.63/5  rDev -31.9%

Clear medium amber colour with a short cap of eggshell foam. Fair retention, some lacing. Malty aroma, mostly caramel and crackery, but there's a light hop and fruit component as well. The flavour was a lot thinner than expected. There's not a lot of malt present, which leaves the bitterness exposed and a little harsh. The hops are a little acrid in the finish, leaving an unpleasant aftertaste. The texture starts out alright, but the body falls away mid-sip leaving it watery. Light dryness at the end. I really liked the aroma, but once I took a sip things went downhill. The balance is way off and there's not enough malt to support the body and hops. Too bad.

10-29-2006 01:28:14 | More by DrJay
Photo of

2.73/5  rDev -29.3%

12oz. bottle. Poured a slightly hazy, amber color with a medium light tan head. Smell was pine, with a touch of honey underneath. This is one of my favorite starts to an IPA, so I was expecting great things. Expectations....disappointed. The flavor was all hops at the start, I thought I had pine tree juice. The malt was present as a sweetness in the middle, but it was accompanied by a mild flavor of sulfur and maybe some burnt toast. Finish was fairly bitter, and not particularly pleasant. Body was light, carbonation was medium. I did not like the burnt notes in the flavor, and felt they were very much out of place for this style. The finish was overly bitter (this from someone who likes Ruination). Perhaps more fair to say that they flavor of the bitterness was unpleasant. I would try this again, given how different my perception is from other reviews, but only if it was given to me.

09-21-2006 20:18:17 | More by
mikeburd1128

05-10-2013 22:23:37 | More by mikeburd1128
matjack85

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

I tried this on tap at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. $5 for a pint glass.

Very clear pale red color with a ½-finger of tan head on top that didn't last that long but did leave a good amount of lacing behind.

This beer smells really hoppy with some caramel malt underneath the hops.

This is really hoppy for a red ale. If I didn't know better I would have thought someone had given me an IPA. It's mostly a mix of pine and grapefruit hops only slightly balanced with some sweet caramel and other roasted malts. Way too bitter for my liking for this style, and the bitterness continues to linger on the palate long into and even after the finish.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

It's not that it's that bad a beer. It's just not what I'm looking for in an amber/red ale.

03-27-2014 14:33:34 | More by matjack85
anteater

Oregon

10-18-2013 04:40:12 | More by anteater
Jwale73

Rhode Island

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle courtesy of bstyle. Served in an American Pint. Bottled on 10.31.13. Pours a translucent amber with a foamy, three-finger, light tan head. Nothing overly distinctive about the nose - toasted malt-forward with some piny/citrusy hops. Taste consistent with nose, but there is also a distinct metallic flavor. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with an even carbonation and a trace of acidity. Overall, a pretty lackluster amber. Not sure if it's just an off bottle, past its prime or just subpar. Not something I need to revisit again any time soon.

01-08-2014 00:19:23 | More by Jwale73
ineva

11-18-2011 21:08:20 | More by ineva
drpimento

Wisconsin

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Think I might have gotten an off bottle. Poured this a bit cold with a thick, foamy, tan, head that lasts and plenty of lace. Color is a very hazy to cloudy amber. Aroma isn't too strong but is vinous, Flavor is malt, sharp hop, metallic, yeast, biscuit, hint tart. Body is decent but has some high points from the odd flavors; carbonation is good. Finish is like flavor and has those less than pleasing characteristics that last too long.

09-23-2013 00:50:03 | More by drpimento
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.84/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a dark reddish-brown color. The head is a two finger heavy cream shade. Retention starts off quickly, then seems to slow down as the bubbles in the head get smaller. Attractive lacing, too.

S: This has a LOT of caramel malt in it, with a slight candied tone thrown in there as well. But the more I whiff it, the more a grassy, lemony hop character comes through. Not bad.

T: Initially, this opens up very caramel-forward. Underlying all the caramel are hints of chocolate, and it finishes with some light Centennial hopping. The flavors here balance out too well - they seem to cancel out the interesting qualities they could have otherwise brought to the table. In other words, a typical amber ale.

M: There's too much sweetness on the palate, and it's too thickly textured. The lack of flavor and unctuous palate feel - combined with the slightly-too-strong carbonation - makes this one really difficult to drink.

O: This is the first offering from Speakeasy I've had, and I'm not impressed. It's the poor drinkability combined with the dreadfully boring nature that kills it for me. Others will like this, I don't - like I said before, a typical amber ale.

It does improve once it warms up, at least.

03-31-2013 01:24:28 | More by ThisWangsChung
wheelinshirt

2.85/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12 oz brown longneck silk-screened bottle, pretty fancy but no freshness date. Poured into two small glasses.

Color looked copper to me, like an IPA rather than an amber. Modest off white head with okay retention and a little lacing. Smell was hoppy, not a lot of malt backbone coming through on the nose. Taste was a little hoppy, somewhat bitter, and very boring otherwise. Almost watery. Could have definately used some sweet malt to balance out the bitterness which wasn't huge, but was too much considering the lack of balance.

Mouthfeel was thin and unsatisfying, could have easily had another but wouldn't have wanted one. I want to try some of speakeasy's other beers, but so far they are 0 for 2 for me. I wish they had freshness dates so i could know whether these are old bottles or not. I haven't seen this at Abe's before, so I know they haven't had it long, but who knows how long it was sitting at the brewery or distributor.

02-19-2008 12:59:17 | More by wheelinshirt
OBeerMeGreatOne

2.93/5  rDev -24.1%

From notes.
Poured out a dark amber with a large head. Great lace and carbonation. The smell seems pretty simple, caramel malts and some earthy hops. The taste had an almost rotten fruit flavor. There might be a beer storage factor to the taste but whatever it is, it's gross. I'll retry in a bottle or at a different bar, but my first experience was a bad one.

06-24-2010 19:21:11 | More by OBeerMeGreatOne