Prohibition Ale - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Prohibition AleProhibition Ale

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-27-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Prohibition Ale Alström Bros

1.83/5  rDev -52.5%

A: A very nice, deep amber color, with good lace characteristics.

S: Smells slightly of roses, go figure. Other smells are difficult to detect, but retains typical smell of a well balanced APA.

T: Once I got to the taste, it threw all my positive indicators out the window. Personally, this is one of the worst-tasting beers I've ever tried (although I haven't reviewed many for BA.com). I find myself at a loss for words regarding the taste of this beer. I would be tempted to say "Fat Tire gone utterly wrong," but that would insult Fat Tire Ale.

M: An average, slightly crisp mouthfeel. However, once the taste of it hit the buds on my tongue, I didn't care much to think about mouthfeel.

D: Due to the terrible taste, I didn't even finish this. As stated above, one of the worst beers I've ever tried, so I hardly consider it drinkable.

2.08/5  rDev -46%

Vintage: 2014
Appearance: Rich, red amber; tan, bubbly head; zero lace; low visible carbonation
Smell: Caramel; Molases; Dates; Diacetyl
Taste: Cola; Citrus Hops; kinda like a cheap soda… like Shasta.
Mouth-feel: Medium Carbonation; Thin body; sticky, sugary
Overall: Not good at all. Really disappointed in this one, because I have respect for Speakeasy and generally love their beers. Too bad.

2.44/5  rDev -36.6%

2.45/5  rDev -36.4%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber brown with a minimal tan head.

Smell: Unique malty aroma with coriander and cocoa.

Taste: Cocoa powder and caramel. Seriously strange.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation - I think the carbonation reinforces the thought of cocoa powder in my brain, and makes it not so smooth.

Drinkability: Moderate ABV, but strange.

Dunno if I got a bad bottle of this or not. Pretty sure I had this on tap in SF - and it was much different (and better!). Perhaps the strangest beer I've ever tasted.

2.48/5  rDev -35.6%

Served on-draught into a plastic cup at Speakeasy's decrepit warehouse - I mean brewpub. Reviewed from notes. Why does a brewery see fit to serve their beer into plastic cups? I may never know.

A: Pours a one finger head of fair cream and thickness, and okay retention. Colour is a dark copper.

Sm: Amber hops and other bittering hops. Perhaps too many hops for the balance? A decent aroma.

T: Amber hops and weak cream - that's it. It's simple garbage. Imbalanced and weak.

Mf: Smooth and wet. It suits the flavour okay, I guess. No real depth, layering, or complexity. It doesn't seem as though they tailored the texture to the taste at all.

Dr: Drinkable but low quality, and expensive at that. I wouldn't try it again if I had to pay for it. A disappointment from Speakeasy. As a side note, beer probably did taste this crappy during prohibition due to limited brewing methods.

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

02/06/13 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Nothing outstanding. OK balance of basic tastes but doesn't impress. I'm not a fan of overt beers, but this makes me wonder 'what's the point'. Mediocre at best.

2.52/5  rDev -34.5%

2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

Pours with a two-finger bubbly white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Clear amber color. Medium bodied. Hoppy nose. Medium carbonation. The brewer says: "perfect balance between caramel maltiness and its aggressive hopping" well, the aggressive hopping dominates any caramel maltiness, there is a little sweetness in the background but not much. $2.25 for a 12oz bottle from Vintage Cellar, Blacksburg, VA.

2.61/5  rDev -32.2%

This is going to be a great review...

I bought this bottle after hearing it was great. The Shop owner said it's one of his favorites from Speakeasy.

The bottle is claimed to be a hoppy ale. It wasn't hoppy at all, and quite watery. Tasted better from the bottle than in a glass, but yet I wasn't impressed. After a short message from Speakeasy on Instagram, I'm considering trying a second bottle when I see it again. Maybe then I can re-do my review and rate it higher.

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

I used to get this in bottles as a semi regular "staple" when I wanted a break from my normal IPA's but still wanted something hoppy and with a nice malt balance. This always worked for that and then all of a sudden THEY CHANGE IT! The last two times Ive had it recently the hops have all but disappeared from the aroma and taste and now its all some sort of caramel/chocalate/carafe malt. Why Speakeasy? Why!?

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

Clear medium amber colour with a short cap of eggshell foam. Fair retention, some lacing. Malty aroma, mostly caramel and crackery, but there's a light hop and fruit component as well. The flavour was a lot thinner than expected. There's not a lot of malt present, which leaves the bitterness exposed and a little harsh. The hops are a little acrid in the finish, leaving an unpleasant aftertaste. The texture starts out alright, but the body falls away mid-sip leaving it watery. Light dryness at the end. I really liked the aroma, but once I took a sip things went downhill. The balance is way off and there's not enough malt to support the body and hops. Too bad.

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

Photo of
2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

12oz. bottle. Poured a slightly hazy, amber color with a medium light tan head. Smell was pine, with a touch of honey underneath. This is one of my favorite starts to an IPA, so I was expecting great things. Expectations....disappointed. The flavor was all hops at the start, I thought I had pine tree juice. The malt was present as a sweetness in the middle, but it was accompanied by a mild flavor of sulfur and maybe some burnt toast. Finish was fairly bitter, and not particularly pleasant. Body was light, carbonation was medium. I did not like the burnt notes in the flavor, and felt they were very much out of place for this style. The finish was overly bitter (this from someone who likes Ruination). Perhaps more fair to say that they flavor of the bitterness was unpleasant. I would try this again, given how different my perception is from other reviews, but only if it was given to me.

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

I tried this on tap at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. $5 for a pint glass.

Very clear pale red color with a ½-finger of tan head on top that didn't last that long but did leave a good amount of lacing behind.

This beer smells really hoppy with some caramel malt underneath the hops.

This is really hoppy for a red ale. If I didn't know better I would have thought someone had given me an IPA. It's mostly a mix of pine and grapefruit hops only slightly balanced with some sweet caramel and other roasted malts. Way too bitter for my liking for this style, and the bitterness continues to linger on the palate long into and even after the finish.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

It's not that it's that bad a beer. It's just not what I'm looking for in an amber/red ale.

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle courtesy of bstyle. Served in an American Pint. Bottled on 10.31.13. Pours a translucent amber with a foamy, three-finger, light tan head. Nothing overly distinctive about the nose - toasted malt-forward with some piny/citrusy hops. Taste consistent with nose, but there is also a distinct metallic flavor. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with an even carbonation and a trace of acidity. Overall, a pretty lackluster amber. Not sure if it's just an off bottle, past its prime or just subpar. Not something I need to revisit again any time soon.

Prohibition Ale from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers