Big Daddy IPA - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Big Daddy IPABig Daddy IPA

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Daddy IPA Alström Bros

OK, all 5's. But I this has been my favorite beer for many years.

The beer is filtered, resulting in a sparkling clear glass (most of the time.) Tonight, the head lasted the entire glass, with lace all the way down.

Smell: this is a hop heads delight. Lots of finishing and dry hops.

Taste: I find I like the second half of the glass best. It is heavily hopped. The combination of hops and carbonation does make it a bit sharp at first. But after a few swallows, the malt starts to come through. The big malt profile balances out the big hop nose.

Mouthfeel: Again, the second half of the glass has a great mouthfeel - nicely textured.

Belgian beers are great. But this is my old stand by, my favorite every day beer.

Love this brewery and all the beers are great. When it comes to IPA's this is probably one of the smoothest best tasting out there. Highly recommend this beer.

Let's be honest here. I review beers as if they're automatically going to be trash. You have to prove to me otherwise for a good rating from me. After an atrocious organic brew by "bud" brewery I decided to check out something that had more of a kick to it and was from the state I have yet to have a terrible beer from; California.

IPAs are a difficult beer to brew because its hard to gain the complexity of the bite with a lingering aftertaste that will want you to get plowed. Essentially any standard pale ale can do it, but IPA kicks it up a notch on the aftertaste. Either its good enough for a "session" or enough to make you switch to the water brews. Big daddy is no exception to the rule of IPAs, only seasoned beer snobs drink it, so it better be complex on the fly. I picked this bottle up from Lee's Discount Liquor in Vegas after I heard from the stock guy this was a brand new batch.

The pour of this brew was smooth, light carbonation with a cloudy finish to the liquid. It smelled standard, though why the hell does a smell or pour to a beer matter? It smells like crap to everyone else, just drink the damn thing and rate it from there. Switch the bigger percentage (beeradvocate.com bros) of the total grade to mouthfeel and drinkability. You don't pour beers to look at them and use them as a glade plug-in.

The taste is probably the best I've ever had, I would rival this to Stone IPA character if it wasn't so damn drinkable. The guy who brews this beer must have the same palette as me because the description on the bottle is exactly how this beer tastes. You essentially get a burst of hop flavor when you drink, with a very slight aftertaste that builds as the night goes on. I'm not poetic, but if you wanted consistent, good sex with a beer, this would be it for IPAs. I should know because I had the whole six pack and wanted more.

IPAs are a snob beer, but if you want friends to enjoy the flavors you're having then this is surely the gateway drug to the addiction. I love this brew and recommend it to any virgin to the IPA league. Hell if you don't drink it, there's more for me to buy so it wont bother me at all if you pass.

4.88/5  rDev +31.2%

4.8/5  rDev +29%

Bright yellow-gold with a full pillowy off-white head and slow carbonation. Nice big citrusy hop aroma !! Nice citrusy hop flavor with just enough malt to balance... clearly on the hoppy side. Medium-full bodied and smooth with a lightly dry bitter finish.

Excellent West Coast hoppy brew I've had a few times and consistent over many years... As good as I remembered albeit a bit pricey.

'003' under "Whose Your Daddy?" (?)
Tasted: 08/10/04

($1.61 / 12 oz. bottle)

4.8/5  rDev +29%

I found this beer in the spring and have been hooked since its got an awesome hop flavor with a nice crisp finish. One of the best I.P.A.s I have had as far as flavor and drinkability. A six pack is dangerously easy to put away. If you are an ipa fan you will love this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +28.5%

I picked this up at my local corner store that stocks all kinds of beer, some good some, bad, everything is $8.99 a sixer, no matter what it is and they keep their cooler nice and cold. Saw this was local, hadn't seen it before, sold.

Popped one open took a swig, and reached immediately for a pils glass--tasty flavor out of the bottle, but I could tell right away I wanted to pour a glass for this one. Nice cloudy appearance, light head, delicious hops smell. I drank the first one in about 5 minutes and went right back for seconds and then thirds. This is probably the tastiest IPA I've had in a long time and I can drink a few at a time and love every one of them. I like the Stone version and back in Boston was always a fan of the Harpoon IPA, but this one is special. It goes down so smooth, just the right amount of aftertaste, just crisp and refreshing all around. I am a huge fan--on my 3rd six pack in a few weeks.

All around, one of my new favorites. I will look for more Speakeasy offerings based on this one beer.

EDIT: I had an opportunity to have this beer on tap at "District" in San Francisco and it was even better than the bottle.

4.76/5  rDev +28%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Had this with a buddy and loved it the smell wasn't. harsh with hops went down smooth had a great hang no bad after taste the whole 12 Pk variety was just great but the main one was the IPA even the design of the bottle was pretty cool you can find the tallie any liquor store that sells craft brew defintly will buy this again very good beer

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Love this company, their IPA is hoppy with earthy elements.

4.72/5  rDev +26.9%

I have to admit that I am a sucker for a really, really dry, really, really hoppy IPA, and this beer certainly is that. What really grabs me about this beer is that it manages to be so smooth, refreshing, and drinkable while maintaining the strength of the hops flavor. In that way, it can be a quite versatile bottle; able to be by turns eminently downable, such as on a hot day, and surprisingly and crisply filled with hoppy bite. In fact, this has become my regular, everyday default in the fridge beer. It helps that I live in SF, and get it at the corner liquor store for $6.49. I love this beer, and have, as of yet, failed to take it for granted.

4.65/5  rDev +25%

Poured into a pint glass, this brew is ful of light and butterscotch hues. Cloudier than most American IPAs, it has an average head composed mostly of large bubbles turns into a frothy sea atop the glass, leaving a fine, strong sheet of lacing most of the way down. Gorgeous to behold.

The aroma is, well...this is my favorite smelling beer to date. Smells nice, hoppy and herbal. Very herbal, green, piney and grapefruity. Malt? yeah, I think I smelled some of that in there, (clinging to life in a sea of bitter glory). If I could rate it above five I would.

The taste is a hopehead's dream. Big and citric all the way through, a filmy hop-oil goodness dominates at the end. Somewhere in the middle, in the eye of the Lupulin storm, there is a bready (almost nutty) maltiness that is deluged out of existence as quickly as it came. Undeniably attention grabbing and absolutely mouth-watering.

The mouthfeel is big, but a little disappointing and on the thin side for the style. A bit more of an oily aspect would have put this brew near perfection. Carbonation moderate and perfectly complimentary.

Big Daddy IPA from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers