Big Daddy IPA - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Big Daddy IPABig Daddy IPA

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-02-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Daddy IPA Alström Bros
davidw987

OK, all 5's. But I this has been my favorite beer for many years.

The beer is filtered, resulting in a sparkling clear glass (most of the time.) Tonight, the head lasted the entire glass, with lace all the way down.

Smell: this is a hop heads delight. Lots of finishing and dry hops.

Taste: I find I like the second half of the glass best. It is heavily hopped. The combination of hops and carbonation does make it a bit sharp at first. But after a few swallows, the malt starts to come through. The big malt profile balances out the big hop nose.

Mouthfeel: Again, the second half of the glass has a great mouthfeel - nicely textured.

Belgian beers are great. But this is my old stand by, my favorite every day beer.

01-14-2009 03:03:01 | More by davidw987
bill1017

07-25-2012 23:43:10 | More by bill1017
kayure

09-05-2013 13:56:33 | More by kayure
Metrobus

Nevada

Let's be honest here. I review beers as if they're automatically going to be trash. You have to prove to me otherwise for a good rating from me. After an atrocious organic brew by "bud" brewery I decided to check out something that had more of a kick to it and was from the state I have yet to have a terrible beer from; California.

IPAs are a difficult beer to brew because its hard to gain the complexity of the bite with a lingering aftertaste that will want you to get plowed. Essentially any standard pale ale can do it, but IPA kicks it up a notch on the aftertaste. Either its good enough for a "session" or enough to make you switch to the water brews. Big daddy is no exception to the rule of IPAs, only seasoned beer snobs drink it, so it better be complex on the fly. I picked this bottle up from Lee's Discount Liquor in Vegas after I heard from the stock guy this was a brand new batch.

The pour of this brew was smooth, light carbonation with a cloudy finish to the liquid. It smelled standard, though why the hell does a smell or pour to a beer matter? It smells like crap to everyone else, just drink the damn thing and rate it from there. Switch the bigger percentage (beeradvocate.com bros) of the total grade to mouthfeel and drinkability. You don't pour beers to look at them and use them as a glade plug-in.

The taste is probably the best I've ever had, I would rival this to Stone IPA character if it wasn't so damn drinkable. The guy who brews this beer must have the same palette as me because the description on the bottle is exactly how this beer tastes. You essentially get a burst of hop flavor when you drink, with a very slight aftertaste that builds as the night goes on. I'm not poetic, but if you wanted consistent, good sex with a beer, this would be it for IPAs. I should know because I had the whole six pack and wanted more.

IPAs are a snob beer, but if you want friends to enjoy the flavors you're having then this is surely the gateway drug to the addiction. I love this brew and recommend it to any virgin to the IPA league. Hell if you don't drink it, there's more for me to buy so it wont bother me at all if you pass.

03-22-2009 09:37:28 | More by Metrobus
aliciamsu

05-09-2014 01:30:19 | More by aliciamsu
Soumya

Oregon

09-08-2013 16:06:33 | More by Soumya
RBorsato

4.8/5  rDev +28.7%

Bright yellow-gold with a full pillowy off-white head and slow carbonation. Nice big citrusy hop aroma !! Nice citrusy hop flavor with just enough malt to balance... clearly on the hoppy side. Medium-full bodied and smooth with a lightly dry bitter finish.

Excellent West Coast hoppy brew I've had a few times and consistent over many years... As good as I remembered albeit a bit pricey.

'003' under "Whose Your Daddy?" (?)
Tasted: 08/10/04

($1.61 / 12 oz. bottle)

08-11-2004 17:35:38 | More by RBorsato
beerguy02169

4.8/5  rDev +28.7%

I found this beer in the spring and have been hooked since its got an awesome hop flavor with a nice crisp finish. One of the best I.P.A.s I have had as far as flavor and drinkability. A six pack is dangerously easy to put away. If you are an ipa fan you will love this beer.

10-12-2008 18:19:19 | More by beerguy02169
pdangler

4.78/5  rDev +28.2%

I picked this up at my local corner store that stocks all kinds of beer, some good some, bad, everything is $8.99 a sixer, no matter what it is and they keep their cooler nice and cold. Saw this was local, hadn't seen it before, sold.

Popped one open took a swig, and reached immediately for a pils glass--tasty flavor out of the bottle, but I could tell right away I wanted to pour a glass for this one. Nice cloudy appearance, light head, delicious hops smell. I drank the first one in about 5 minutes and went right back for seconds and then thirds. This is probably the tastiest IPA I've had in a long time and I can drink a few at a time and love every one of them. I like the Stone version and back in Boston was always a fan of the Harpoon IPA, but this one is special. It goes down so smooth, just the right amount of aftertaste, just crisp and refreshing all around. I am a huge fan--on my 3rd six pack in a few weeks.

All around, one of my new favorites. I will look for more Speakeasy offerings based on this one beer.

EDIT: I had an opportunity to have this beer on tap at "District" in San Francisco and it was even better than the bottle.

03-29-2009 03:46:59 | More by pdangler
not2complex

4.76/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Had this with a buddy and loved it the smell wasn't. harsh with hops went down smooth had a great hang no bad after taste the whole 12 Pk variety was just great but the main one was the IPA even the design of the bottle was pretty cool you can find the tallie any liquor store that sells craft brew defintly will buy this again very good beer

11-14-2013 21:16:22 | More by not2complex

Wildman496

09-22-2013 19:33:50 | More by Wildman496
quetzpalin

4.72/5  rDev +26.5%

I have to admit that I am a sucker for a really, really dry, really, really hoppy IPA, and this beer certainly is that. What really grabs me about this beer is that it manages to be so smooth, refreshing, and drinkable while maintaining the strength of the hops flavor. In that way, it can be a quite versatile bottle; able to be by turns eminently downable, such as on a hot day, and surprisingly and crisply filled with hoppy bite. In fact, this has become my regular, everyday default in the fridge beer. It helps that I live in SF, and get it at the corner liquor store for $6.49. I love this beer, and have, as of yet, failed to take it for granted.

01-13-2004 08:25:43 | More by quetzpalin
MobBarley

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured into a pint glass, this brew is ful of light and butterscotch hues. Cloudier than most American IPAs, it has an average head composed mostly of large bubbles turns into a frothy sea atop the glass, leaving a fine, strong sheet of lacing most of the way down. Gorgeous to behold.

The aroma is, well...this is my favorite smelling beer to date. Smells nice, hoppy and herbal. Very herbal, green, piney and grapefruity. Malt? yeah, I think I smelled some of that in there, (clinging to life in a sea of bitter glory). If I could rate it above five I would.

The taste is a hopehead's dream. Big and citric all the way through, a filmy hop-oil goodness dominates at the end. Somewhere in the middle, in the eye of the Lupulin storm, there is a bready (almost nutty) maltiness that is deluged out of existence as quickly as it came. Undeniably attention grabbing and absolutely mouth-watering.

The mouthfeel is big, but a little disappointing and on the thin side for the style. A bit more of an oily aspect would have put this brew near perfection. Carbonation moderate and perfectly complimentary.

04-10-2004 04:05:05 | More by MobBarley
woodychandler

4.63/5  rDev +24.1%

Scarlett has just departed into the snowy night when Big Daddy made his usual grand entrance, preceded by a few gun thugs and a sweeper, in the form of Mickey Tommy, an Irishman wielding a Thompson sub-machine gun like it was a pencil. I grew up with Mickey, a fellow altar boy until we both figured out that there were better ways to spend our time than with Christ, Our Lord. Tommy went for guns and women while I went into the navy to sample the wares of the world. Coming home, I admired his style, but even more, I admired his boss' honey honey, a smoky-voiced doll named Scarlett and the rest is history, as ye shall have revealed.

From the bottle: "Legit since 1997"; "Who's your Daddy?"; "No lightweight, BIG DADDY IPA tips the scales with a huge hop flavor and clean dry finish that leaves the scene without a trace."

Fu**er came roaring out at me like I was making time with his woman! Never mind that I had been, that kind of action makes Mickey Tommy want to stitch his trademark "X" on somebody's chest, no matter who. "Back off, motherf**ker!" I shouted, grabbing Big Daddy by the lapels of his double-breasted worsted. Thia created two fingers of dense, tawny head and Big Daddy waved off the gunsels. I stepped back to to take in his immenseness, a big man who was not afraid of the many women that he kept in his inventory or the rare man who might rise to their defense. The label did not do him justice as he was from Northern Italy, a big blonde whose mother was of Swiss descent, where the label portrays him as swarthy. Deep, golden yellow with NE-quality clarity and yet Mammon, Croesus and Midas did not appear in deference to his authority. He wore his hops like cologne, applying them liberally in a devil-may-care-fashion and they attacked my nose like his boys did in that Valentine's Day event, recently. Oh, yeah, that was Big Daddy's doing, and don't let any jailhouse skell tell you otherwise. Floral, citrusy, and cutting. I actually took a step back before my first sip, but when I did, he was hammering away at my poor, bruised, aching tongue. "F**k you, Woody!" he shouted. "I know you're a wrong guy, but I haven't put my finger on it. When I do, you're deader than everybody in recent memory!" I live for this sorta thing, however, and simply smiled back at him. The finish was bone-dry and I could hear the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert. "Hey, Big Daddy, I'm done with you!" I cried out as a I pushed him away from me yet again. Guns were raised and pointed at me, but I shoved through their stance and sauntered into the night.

#akashicbooks.com

My previous review, dtd 24 June 2010, was on-tap, with scores of 4; 5; 4.5; 4; 5.

This came to me with a finger of bone-white head with great retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was full-on grapefruit hoppy nirvana. I loved this beer the first time it appeared in PA in bottles, but draft was so much better! The alpha acids really stand up in a draft service. Mouthfeel was medium with a nice, fresh hop snap on the tongue. This was the type of American IPA that really got me hooked on the style. Hoppy, but not overwhelmingly so. Finish was dry, citrusy, just right. More, please, sir.

01-22-2014 03:49:05 | More by woodychandler
jj311

4.58/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard drinking glass.

Appearance: A clear yellow with Golden hues, and a nice foamy head with thick, sticky lacing. Medium to high carbonation.

Smell: A flowery citric hop aroma with piney overtones.

Taste: Allot like it smells. Very citric and flowery, with a good bitter alcohol bite, and a lingering warm finish. A sweet malt with some minor grainy hints in there that are soon overpowered by the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp, and creamy mouthfeel, with a slight citrus tingle.

Drinkability: Although Pale Ales are not my favorite style of beer, I found this one to be exceptionally drinkable. I look forward to getting more of this soon, as an occasional alternative to what I normally drink.

11-15-2010 12:59:47 | More by jj311
rayjay

Hawaii

4.53/5  rDev +21.4%

Pours pretty light pale and nothing to write home about. No bs, just a simple looking beer. Aggressive hops that fallout to pure bitterness. The body is nice and light, allowing for the hops to shine through in the most glorious way, and also making the drinkability blast through the roof. Not exceptionally challanging to drink, but still a fine choice for a night of sessioning. A few bottles of this hoppy treat give you a great head buzz similar to ganja food. The light malts and upfront bitterness are exactly what I'm looking for in an IPA. Currently my everyday beer of choice. Cheers!

10-13-2006 18:15:42 | More by rayjay
Beervis

Ontario (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +21.4%

Pours from the 12oz bottle, with eyes staring at me, an amberish gold with nice thick white head.

Smell is all floral and citrusy hops. Not much else in the nose, besides these extremely appetizing hops.

Taste is incredibly smooth and hoppy. Bitterness is rich and thick, not exactly balanced, but I mean that in a good way. Malt is there, but not all that powerful. Spicy alcohol adds complexity, but the hops are the heavy hitters here. Finishes dry and bitter, and leaves you wanting more.

This is definitely a drinkable IPA. Excellent!

09-29-2005 17:07:56 | More by Beervis
Offa

4.53/5  rDev +21.4%

This is a wonderful IPA, balanced for the style, with a lot of flavour.

Gold, it has a medium, off-white head steadily srhinking to permanent thin, wispy top and ring, and leaving some decent lace.

The aroma is light, sweetly malty and fruity with citrus (grapefruit clearly noticeable but not overpowering and blended with lemon and orange), honey, some bread.

The taste is nice, creamy, yet with a crisp, clean finish. It has full, malty sweetness just dominated by light bitterness, nice balance, a rich, full body, yet very zesty and crisp. It has malty grain, fruity, citrus (again, grapefrui just dominant but with lemon and orange), herb, spice.

11-24-2008 19:14:31 | More by Offa