2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Big Daddy IPA - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Big Daddy IPABig Daddy IPA

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-02-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Daddy IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 913 | Reviews: 439 | Show All Ratings:
davidw987

OK, all 5's. But I this has been my favorite beer for many years.

The beer is filtered, resulting in a sparkling clear glass (most of the time.) Tonight, the head lasted the entire glass, with lace all the way down.

Smell: this is a hop heads delight. Lots of finishing and dry hops.

Taste: I find I like the second half of the glass best. It is heavily hopped. The combination of hops and carbonation does make it a bit sharp at first. But after a few swallows, the malt starts to come through. The big malt profile balances out the big hop nose.

Mouthfeel: Again, the second half of the glass has a great mouthfeel - nicely textured.

Belgian beers are great. But this is my old stand by, my favorite every day beer.

01-14-2009 03:03:01 | More by davidw987
Metrobus

Nevada

Let's be honest here. I review beers as if they're automatically going to be trash. You have to prove to me otherwise for a good rating from me. After an atrocious organic brew by "bud" brewery I decided to check out something that had more of a kick to it and was from the state I have yet to have a terrible beer from; California.

IPAs are a difficult beer to brew because its hard to gain the complexity of the bite with a lingering aftertaste that will want you to get plowed. Essentially any standard pale ale can do it, but IPA kicks it up a notch on the aftertaste. Either its good enough for a "session" or enough to make you switch to the water brews. Big daddy is no exception to the rule of IPAs, only seasoned beer snobs drink it, so it better be complex on the fly. I picked this bottle up from Lee's Discount Liquor in Vegas after I heard from the stock guy this was a brand new batch.

The pour of this brew was smooth, light carbonation with a cloudy finish to the liquid. It smelled standard, though why the hell does a smell or pour to a beer matter? It smells like crap to everyone else, just drink the damn thing and rate it from there. Switch the bigger percentage (beeradvocate.com bros) of the total grade to mouthfeel and drinkability. You don't pour beers to look at them and use them as a glade plug-in.

The taste is probably the best I've ever had, I would rival this to Stone IPA character if it wasn't so damn drinkable. The guy who brews this beer must have the same palette as me because the description on the bottle is exactly how this beer tastes. You essentially get a burst of hop flavor when you drink, with a very slight aftertaste that builds as the night goes on. I'm not poetic, but if you wanted consistent, good sex with a beer, this would be it for IPAs. I should know because I had the whole six pack and wanted more.

IPAs are a snob beer, but if you want friends to enjoy the flavors you're having then this is surely the gateway drug to the addiction. I love this brew and recommend it to any virgin to the IPA league. Hell if you don't drink it, there's more for me to buy so it wont bother me at all if you pass.

03-22-2009 09:37:28 | More by Metrobus
RBorsato

4.8/5  rDev +29%

Bright yellow-gold with a full pillowy off-white head and slow carbonation. Nice big citrusy hop aroma !! Nice citrusy hop flavor with just enough malt to balance... clearly on the hoppy side. Medium-full bodied and smooth with a lightly dry bitter finish.

Excellent West Coast hoppy brew I've had a few times and consistent over many years... As good as I remembered albeit a bit pricey.

'003' under "Whose Your Daddy?" (?)
Tasted: 08/10/04

($1.61 / 12 oz. bottle)

08-11-2004 17:35:38 | More by RBorsato
beerguy02169

4.8/5  rDev +29%

I found this beer in the spring and have been hooked since its got an awesome hop flavor with a nice crisp finish. One of the best I.P.A.s I have had as far as flavor and drinkability. A six pack is dangerously easy to put away. If you are an ipa fan you will love this beer.

10-12-2008 18:19:19 | More by beerguy02169
pdangler

4.78/5  rDev +28.5%

I picked this up at my local corner store that stocks all kinds of beer, some good some, bad, everything is $8.99 a sixer, no matter what it is and they keep their cooler nice and cold. Saw this was local, hadn't seen it before, sold.

Popped one open took a swig, and reached immediately for a pils glass--tasty flavor out of the bottle, but I could tell right away I wanted to pour a glass for this one. Nice cloudy appearance, light head, delicious hops smell. I drank the first one in about 5 minutes and went right back for seconds and then thirds. This is probably the tastiest IPA I've had in a long time and I can drink a few at a time and love every one of them. I like the Stone version and back in Boston was always a fan of the Harpoon IPA, but this one is special. It goes down so smooth, just the right amount of aftertaste, just crisp and refreshing all around. I am a huge fan--on my 3rd six pack in a few weeks.

All around, one of my new favorites. I will look for more Speakeasy offerings based on this one beer.

EDIT: I had an opportunity to have this beer on tap at "District" in San Francisco and it was even better than the bottle.

03-29-2009 03:46:59 | More by pdangler
not2complex

4.76/5  rDev +28%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Had this with a buddy and loved it the smell wasn't. harsh with hops went down smooth had a great hang no bad after taste the whole 12 Pk variety was just great but the main one was the IPA even the design of the bottle was pretty cool you can find the tallie any liquor store that sells craft brew defintly will buy this again very good beer

11-14-2013 21:16:22 | More by not2complex
quetzpalin

4.72/5  rDev +26.9%

I have to admit that I am a sucker for a really, really dry, really, really hoppy IPA, and this beer certainly is that. What really grabs me about this beer is that it manages to be so smooth, refreshing, and drinkable while maintaining the strength of the hops flavor. In that way, it can be a quite versatile bottle; able to be by turns eminently downable, such as on a hot day, and surprisingly and crisply filled with hoppy bite. In fact, this has become my regular, everyday default in the fridge beer. It helps that I live in SF, and get it at the corner liquor store for $6.49. I love this beer, and have, as of yet, failed to take it for granted.

01-13-2004 08:25:43 | More by quetzpalin
MobBarley

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +25%

Poured into a pint glass, this brew is ful of light and butterscotch hues. Cloudier than most American IPAs, it has an average head composed mostly of large bubbles turns into a frothy sea atop the glass, leaving a fine, strong sheet of lacing most of the way down. Gorgeous to behold.

The aroma is, well...this is my favorite smelling beer to date. Smells nice, hoppy and herbal. Very herbal, green, piney and grapefruity. Malt? yeah, I think I smelled some of that in there, (clinging to life in a sea of bitter glory). If I could rate it above five I would.

The taste is a hopehead's dream. Big and citric all the way through, a filmy hop-oil goodness dominates at the end. Somewhere in the middle, in the eye of the Lupulin storm, there is a bready (almost nutty) maltiness that is deluged out of existence as quickly as it came. Undeniably attention grabbing and absolutely mouth-watering.

The mouthfeel is big, but a little disappointing and on the thin side for the style. A bit more of an oily aspect would have put this brew near perfection. Carbonation moderate and perfectly complimentary.

04-10-2004 04:05:05 | More by MobBarley
woodychandler

4.63/5  rDev +24.5%

Scarlett has just departed into the snowy night when Big Daddy made his usual grand entrance, preceded by a few gun thugs and a sweeper, in the form of Mickey Tommy, an Irishman wielding a Thompson sub-machine gun like it was a pencil. I grew up with Mickey, a fellow altar boy until we both figured out that there were better ways to spend our time than with Christ, Our Lord. Tommy went for guns and women while I went into the navy to sample the wares of the world. Coming home, I admired his style, but even more, I admired his boss' honey honey, a smoky-voiced doll named Scarlett and the rest is history, as ye shall have revealed.

From the bottle: "Legit since 1997"; "Who's your Daddy?"; "No lightweight, BIG DADDY IPA tips the scales with a huge hop flavor and clean dry finish that leaves the scene without a trace."

Fu**er came roaring out at me like I was making time with his woman! Never mind that I had been, that kind of action makes Mickey Tommy want to stitch his trademark "X" on somebody's chest, no matter who. "Back off, motherf**ker!" I shouted, grabbing Big Daddy by the lapels of his double-breasted worsted. Thia created two fingers of dense, tawny head and Big Daddy waved off the gunsels. I stepped back to to take in his immenseness, a big man who was not afraid of the many women that he kept in his inventory or the rare man who might rise to their defense. The label did not do him justice as he was from Northern Italy, a big blonde whose mother was of Swiss descent, where the label portrays him as swarthy. Deep, golden yellow with NE-quality clarity and yet Mammon, Croesus and Midas did not appear in deference to his authority. He wore his hops like cologne, applying them liberally in a devil-may-care-fashion and they attacked my nose like his boys did in that Valentine's Day event, recently. Oh, yeah, that was Big Daddy's doing, and don't let any jailhouse skell tell you otherwise. Floral, citrusy, and cutting. I actually took a step back before my first sip, but when I did, he was hammering away at my poor, bruised, aching tongue. "F**k you, Woody!" he shouted. "I know you're a wrong guy, but I haven't put my finger on it. When I do, you're deader than everybody in recent memory!" I live for this sorta thing, however, and simply smiled back at him. The finish was bone-dry and I could hear the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert. "Hey, Big Daddy, I'm done with you!" I cried out as a I pushed him away from me yet again. Guns were raised and pointed at me, but I shoved through their stance and sauntered into the night.

#akashicbooks.com

My previous review, dtd 24 June 2010, was on-tap, with scores of 4; 5; 4.5; 4; 5.

This came to me with a finger of bone-white head with great retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was full-on grapefruit hoppy nirvana. I loved this beer the first time it appeared in PA in bottles, but draft was so much better! The alpha acids really stand up in a draft service. Mouthfeel was medium with a nice, fresh hop snap on the tongue. This was the type of American IPA that really got me hooked on the style. Hoppy, but not overwhelmingly so. Finish was dry, citrusy, just right. More, please, sir.

01-22-2014 03:49:05 | More by woodychandler
jj311

4.58/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard drinking glass.

Appearance: A clear yellow with Golden hues, and a nice foamy head with thick, sticky lacing. Medium to high carbonation.

Smell: A flowery citric hop aroma with piney overtones.

Taste: Allot like it smells. Very citric and flowery, with a good bitter alcohol bite, and a lingering warm finish. A sweet malt with some minor grainy hints in there that are soon overpowered by the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp, and creamy mouthfeel, with a slight citrus tingle.

Drinkability: Although Pale Ales are not my favorite style of beer, I found this one to be exceptionally drinkable. I look forward to getting more of this soon, as an occasional alternative to what I normally drink.

11-15-2010 12:59:47 | More by jj311
Beervis

Ontario (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours from the 12oz bottle, with eyes staring at me, an amberish gold with nice thick white head.

Smell is all floral and citrusy hops. Not much else in the nose, besides these extremely appetizing hops.

Taste is incredibly smooth and hoppy. Bitterness is rich and thick, not exactly balanced, but I mean that in a good way. Malt is there, but not all that powerful. Spicy alcohol adds complexity, but the hops are the heavy hitters here. Finishes dry and bitter, and leaves you wanting more.

This is definitely a drinkable IPA. Excellent!

09-29-2005 17:07:56 | More by Beervis
rayjay

Hawaii

4.53/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours pretty light pale and nothing to write home about. No bs, just a simple looking beer. Aggressive hops that fallout to pure bitterness. The body is nice and light, allowing for the hops to shine through in the most glorious way, and also making the drinkability blast through the roof. Not exceptionally challanging to drink, but still a fine choice for a night of sessioning. A few bottles of this hoppy treat give you a great head buzz similar to ganja food. The light malts and upfront bitterness are exactly what I'm looking for in an IPA. Currently my everyday beer of choice. Cheers!

10-13-2006 18:15:42 | More by rayjay
Offa

4.53/5  rDev +21.8%

This is a wonderful IPA, balanced for the style, with a lot of flavour.

Gold, it has a medium, off-white head steadily srhinking to permanent thin, wispy top and ring, and leaving some decent lace.

The aroma is light, sweetly malty and fruity with citrus (grapefruit clearly noticeable but not overpowering and blended with lemon and orange), honey, some bread.

The taste is nice, creamy, yet with a crisp, clean finish. It has full, malty sweetness just dominated by light bitterness, nice balance, a rich, full body, yet very zesty and crisp. It has malty grain, fruity, citrus (again, grapefrui just dominant but with lemon and orange), herb, spice.

11-24-2008 19:14:31 | More by Offa
nUgZ

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks to SanFranJake for this opportunity.

A: Pours a nice golden color with a 1 1/2 finger head and nice lacing.

S: Tons of floral and citrus hop aromas. Not much malt to speak of.

T: Just like the smell, the flavor is full of citrus and floral hops with a hint of malt in the background.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O: I really like this beer!! It's just what I look for in an IPA. It absolutely assaults your senses with hops! If it was a little hazy, I would give it a solid 4.5.

12-15-2012 03:15:52 | More by nUgZ
ReDave

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

This is a great IPA. One of my favorite beers. Nice light straw golden color. Great hoppy aroma. Not so subtle bittering hops. Just a touch of malt for balance. Great bitter after-taste. Nice white slightly lingering head, with sticky lace all the way down.
Nice dry finish.

04-04-2006 01:21:54 | More by ReDave
tgbljb

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured a hazy apricot color with massive white puffy head. Very attractive lacing as the head slowly feel to a thick coating. Smnell is predominately grassy hops with a slight sweet malt background. Taste follows through on the smell with the hops in the foreground and the malt gining a nice balance Finishes only slightly dry, and very thirst quenching. An excellent example of the style. Will definitely try again.

08-11-2006 23:52:10 | More by tgbljb
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

Had it on tap at Brouwer's in Seattle and I must say that it was the best IPA i have had in awhile. Big, citrusy with that complexity that holds up after a few sips. The dark gold colour gave the head some gravitas and the finish was one to remember. I have no idea how this got to Seattle in keg form but I am glad I got to try it.

10-06-2006 18:23:14 | More by canucklehead
BradBLR

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

This beer poured a nice amber gold color with a medium thick white head that lasted about three quarters of the beer with a medium amount of lacing. The smell of this beer was a citrus flavor with overtones of grapfruit.

The taste of this beer was a very nice hoppy IPA with some amount of a sweet malt flavor. A very good IPA with a nice hop after taste. The mouthfeel of this beer was good with the CO2 being perfect, and the beer not seeming thin at all.

Another great beer from Speak Easy and worth a try if you like IPAs.

05-01-2007 19:18:09 | More by BradBLR
TheLongBeachBum

4.45/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I like IPA’s, especially American ones. So, of the 3 Speakeasy beers I purchased tonight, I knew I had to finish with the Big Daddy IPA – glad I did, because for me it’s by far the best of the bunch and the strongest at 6.5% ABV.
Small 12 fl.oz Brown Glass Bottle, depicting a white screen printed picture this time of a dodgy looking “Fat Gansta” (now I’m for it) from the 50’s, with the words Big Daddy above him in green. Bloody hell, those freakin’ painted silhouette pair of eyes that are on all of the long thin Bottles necks, are still staring at me. You looking at me, I say you lookin’ at me…..
From experience of the prior brace of Speakeasy beers I already sampled tonight, I again vigorously dumped this beer into a large 22 fl.oz Glass. It really helps to add life and allow the release of many aromas & flavours I had learnt.
A massive white cloudy head. Carbonation is really low, why is this such a trait with Speakeasy beers? It spoils them I think. Head is very frothy, rocky and lacy but always at least a ¼” throughout.
This beer too has been ultra-filtered by an Alien race comprised of a mix of Vacuum Cleaners, Pollen Removers and Ultra Breeze ionic Filtration devices. For it has much less suspended solids than metallic turds in a magnet factory
A beautiful straw-golden color, almost “Duvel” in character. A great looking A-IPA.
Nose is Hops, grassy knolls, and 1 day old lawn cuttings with a hint of lemon and grapefuit. Mouthfeel is strong, but average overall. First Impressions are “Hit-First, Ask-Later”, for it pronounces it arrival with a massive aroma then confirms its character with a highly bitter introduction, followed by a hoppy middle, and an even hoppier finish. This finish is clean, crisp and finite. I have never experienced such a distinct finite hoppy finish, it does not linger, it just disappears. Wow, it works well.

As a “Hop-Head” this is by far my favourite of the 3 Speakeasy Beer that I have tried tonight (to date), and probably the only of the Speakeasy beers that can hold its own in style comparisons to other Breweries IMVHO. The best of the Speakeasy beers by a long shot IMHO. After the first two offerings, I am quietly impressed and now cheered up. Goes down quicker than an un-seaworthy Tanker sailing under a flag of Convenience !!!

If you see it - buy it - try it - love it. Whose da Daddie ????

12-03-2002 23:40:08 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Toddv29424

District of Columbia

4.45/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer looks like just another macro brew lager on the market, but it packs much more of a punch. The smell is tremendously floral, like they've used many different kind of hops. It gives out kind of a fruitloop-like nose. Like most IPA's its the first few tastes that overpower you, then as you get aclimated it goes down easier. But for the ammount of hops that are in this beer, its well balanced and very enjoyable.

01-01-2006 01:33:15 | More by Toddv29424
Michael_DaBeers_IV

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Wow! The usual suspects hit it off again. I love getting their 12 pack variety packs. You can't go wrong. Definitely try. I'm about to go get some across the street right now. Very reasonably priced for their quality, and super sick design/12 pack artwork.

07-03-2013 20:22:06 | More by Michael_DaBeers_IV
Johnny_Muir

4.41/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

12 ouncer poured into pint glass. Now this is a session IPA. One of the most balanced IPA's I've ever had. This is my second beer from Speakeasy (Tallulah EPA the first), and I must say they make some excellent brews. Bottle art is pretty awesome too. Cheers!

01-21-2014 23:55:25 | More by Johnny_Muir
tigerpaws

South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This brew pours with almost no head, but has a nice golden copper color. The smell of the hops is like a jab from a boxer getting ready to hit you with a right cross. The taste is very hoppy even for this hophead at first sip, not that I didn't like it. It mellows out somewhat after a few swallows, but the strong hop taste stays with you until the bottom of the glass.I highly recommend this beer for hopheads, others will like it but not as much. The beer novice should stay away until, they get rid of their training wheels................CHEERS

09-08-2002 07:41:21 | More by tigerpaws
MexicanSkittel

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%

In the backyard looking out at the ocean, from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look- a brilliant bright golden, extremely clear with perfect carbonation . A 1/4 head white and light has been sitting on the glass leaving a lace after sips 5 mins into it.

Smell- some hops, caramel, honey, green grass.

Taste- gental hops, almost sweet. Maybe carmel covered hops. Very balanced flavors.

Mouthfeel- smooth, not overly bitter, not too viscous, and no strong presence of alc. the finish isn't as lengthy as I'd like but initial drinking is right on.

Overall- really nice IPA, personally like it on tap more, but a $5.99 six pack in the sun in SF is pretty awesome.

10-30-2011 22:46:15 | More by MexicanSkittel
CHickman

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours cloudy yellow gold in color with a 2 finger off white head that faded very slowly and left very good lacing.

Smells of grapefruit, citrus hops, orange peel, lemon, floral hops, flowers, piney hops, light caramel, biscuit, sweet malt, candy sugar, pepper, spices and light brown sugar; hops dominate the aroma with a nice fruity citrus sweetness.

Tastes like it smells with a huge hop flavor up front including floral hops, flowers, citrus hops, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, mango, piney hops, caramel, biscuit, sweet malt, candy sugar, pepper, cinnamon, light grains, spices and light brown sugar; again, the hops dominated, but this is what a West Coast IPA should taste and smell like so I enjoyed it.

Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and oily slick as this slides down easy with low carbonation, a medium body, hop spices with minor heat, some hop bitterness and clean finish.

High drinkability, I found it very easy to drink as a hophead and could drink this anytime, anywhere and would love to have it with spicy food. This is a great beer that I highly recommend.

01-02-2011 06:18:06 | More by CHickman