1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Big Daddy IPA - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Big Daddy IPABig Daddy IPA

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-02-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Daddy IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 905 | Reviews: 438 | Show All Ratings:
Beaver13

Colorado

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%

12 oz bottle, bottled on 8/14/13. Pours clear golden orange with a big rocky off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet biscuity crystal malt with some grassy hops.

The flavor is sweet biscuity caramel malts with a good amount of grassy bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, an OK IPA - too much sweet biscuit malt and grassy hops.

09-19-2013 03:51:26 | More by Beaver13
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.06/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

This is the only beer on the list from this brewing company, but I am excited to drink it. The history of this brewing company is cool, and I have an interest in the Prohibition. I mean… Imagine a time without alcohol. That's just silly! It is cool to see bars popping up that are themed like an old speakeasy. We went to one in Las Vegas that was pretty cool, and there is one here in Old Town Scottsdale that we like. The one in Scottsdale has a list of rules you must follow. They mean business, too. Their drinks are a little overpriced, but it's a neat place to take someone that is from out of town.

I think my favorite part of this beer are the eyes on the neck of the bottle. The same eyes are even on the side of the brewing company. Oh, and Big Daddy, the original big daddy, is named Dave Keene. One of my golf buddies is also named Dave Keene. Get this… Dave just called me! Random. Anyway, it's time to drink. I'm thirsty. Cheers!

In the Glass: The beer pours a nice golden color, and leaves a lovely three finger head with impressive lace for an American IPA. The lace is sticky and I just want to lick it off the side of the glass so I don't miss any hoppy goodness. The tasting notes promised a nice citrus aroma. Let's see.

Nose: I am definitely getting some nice citrus notes on the nose. I am talking straight grapefruit juice. Speaking of grapefruit juice, I really like grapefruit juice. Grapefruit juice and vodka is the best!

Flavor: That's a good IPA. The hops aren't overwhelming and I am getting some serious citrus notes on the palate, too. The mouthfeel might be my favorite part, though. But we will get to that. This beer is also really easy to drink and I could see myself finishing off a pitcher of this in no time. I am not sure if this is the same recipe they used during Prohibition, but I will pretend it is!

Mouthfeel: As I drink this, the front of my palate has a nice thick almost creamy feeling and as it hits the back of the palate the carbonation really starts to kick in. For a baseline American IPA, this beer has quite a lot of complexity. The bomber is almost gone it is so good.

Aftertaste: The hop flavor keeps on going, but as I continue to swallow it begins to dry out. I just can't get over how much complexity there is in this beer. They use a pretty nice array of hops in this, but nothing outrageous. The beer tastes so good I have a hard time letting it sit before taking another sip!

The beer really isn't anything to write home about, but it is a great example of the style. The aftertaste keeps me going back for one more sip. This beer also tastes great ice cold. I am sure some more hop flavor would open up as it heats up, but it is tasty cold. I bet this would be great on tap. Most beers are. Here's to another good example of an American IPA. Cheers!

08-25-2013 23:04:27 | More by rickyleepotts
Boxus

2.4/5  rDev -35.5%

Bottle to glass, I detect a mild, unimpressive scent of coppery hops. Appearance is clear tan with a nice bubbly head. I go for a sip...

Ugh. That stale, musky hop flavor again. I notice this happens a lot with Speakeasy beers. Usually when I get the stale hop flavor, I just figure my bottle sat on the shelf too long. Indeed that may be an issue now, since this one was bottled close to four months ago. But with this beer in particular, I've noticed that stale, musky flavor every single time I've tried it - probably five or six times in all.

I can only conclude that something is amiss with the brew itself. The flavor has barely a hint of the bright, floral hop bite I expect from a Cali IPA. Instead it's bitter in an unpleasantly dank and musky way. It tastes like cardboard and multivitamins. Totally unpleasant and disappointing.

Again, this may be due in large part to a lack of freshness. But I've noticed that same stale flavor in almost every Speakeasy beer I've had. And I can't help but wonder, living in Oakland, why it would be so difficult to get fresh beer from a brewery in San Francisco.

08-04-2013 01:15:01 | More by Boxus
DiscerningDude

2.33/5  rDev -37.4%

It's certainly not "big". It's barely an IPA.

The initial taste is floral and overpowered by the taste of alcohol even though it is only rated at 6.5. The bite is not at all like what should come from a nice hoppy IPA but seems more like what one would expect from a cheap gin.
The hop taste is bitter but very much like "hot" is when you are eating a ghost pepper. No redeeming qualities. Really. None. It barely sits on your tongue long enough to search for something positive.

The aftertaste is similar to what Band-aids smell like. Rubbery and fortunately short-lived.

I am sorry for giving this beer such low rating and I am amazed at the positive reviews gained so far. This is one of the most unfavorable beers I have tasted in a long time and I am typically much more forgiving. Perhaps I got a bad batch or just a bad bottle?

08-02-2013 04:54:08 | More by DiscerningDude
WoodBrew

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%

The Speakeasy Big Daddy is a good sessionable IPA...It poured a clear copperish orange with light fizzy head which is leaving a spotty lace. The smell includes fresh hops of citrus and hints of pine. The taste is well balanced throughout....there is enough sweet malt to keep the bitterness at bay but yet enough to remind you that you're drinking an IPA. The mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall it would be a beer I would recommend.

07-12-2013 21:56:36 | More by WoodBrew
TMoney2591

3.13/5  rDev -15.9%

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Flashbacks to Wiggum, PI... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of sandy off-white foam. The nose comprises grass, grapefruit peel, light mint, and a backbone of sweet biscuit. The taste brings in more of the same, with the grapefruit peel not only superseding the grass but also becoming a bit funkier, some earthy (read: dirty) greens coming in, and the biscuit hardly coming through at all. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, a decent IPA at best, one that just comes across as unbalanced with unfavorable hopping. It's not altogether bad, just not all that good.

07-08-2013 23:05:35 | More by TMoney2591
Michael_DaBeers_IV

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Wow! The usual suspects hit it off again. I love getting their 12 pack variety packs. You can't go wrong. Definitely try. I'm about to go get some across the street right now. Very reasonably priced for their quality, and super sick design/12 pack artwork.

07-03-2013 20:22:06 | More by Michael_DaBeers_IV
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

Father`s day gift.

Into a pint glass:

A: light golden yellow colored body, one finger white foamy head slowly dies, minimal light lacing clings to the glass

S: strong citrus and piney hops up front, malts start to displace the hops ever so slightly as it warms a bit

T: bittersweet all the way through even though the malts start to come out a bit morein the taste, sticky sweet aftertaste, dry bitter finish

M: light to medium, sessionable, carbonation felt appropriately for the style and for me

O: this is a very good AIPA that I would definitely have again

06-17-2013 04:06:55 | More by BeerKangaroo
KTCamm

3.76/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Pours golden, clear, with 1/4 inch patchy white foam/. Early lacing observed. Leaves islands. Lemon pine nose, sharp. Grapefruit taste, firm hop, even throughout. Latent citrus. Very dry finish, flavorful IPA.

05-19-2013 21:53:13 | More by KTCamm
BlurryVisi0n

3.83/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served in a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: super clear yellow/gold with light bubbles on the body. Head is a straight white with no tint rising about 1/3".

Smell: honestly it feels like a strong floral, and after my first sniff it was more like a forest. Honestly no complaints.

Taste: heavy floral, feels light at points granted I am pairing this with an excellent chicken dinner. The hops are strong, definitely room for improvement but still pretty good.

Mouth: medium to heavy, consistent stickiness to the beer.

Overall: good beer and honestly will be ordering another. Have had it before and honestly thought I wrote a review a long time ago about it but I apparently didnt. Salud!

05-18-2013 03:08:01 | More by BlurryVisi0n
magictacosinus

3.34/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mason jar pint... Because, why not? Consumed on 05/12/13. Review is from my notes.

Produces a golden-amber straw color, complete with 2.5 fingers of head depending on how aggressive the pour was. Some bubbles rise to the top, but luckily the head never fully goes away. No lacing to speak of. Not too viscous in nature, but does look like a thickened IPA as far as the ingredients go. Seems a bit paled, however, and I do prefer my IPAs to shine and glow.

The aroma immediately threw me off with an acrid, skunky earthiness and faded hops, almost to the point where I thought the bottle had been oxidized or was past its prime. However, as I let it sit, the initial off flavors changed for the better, and I got some subtle yet warm lemon rinds, some slight oranges, and an undeniable pine/grass combo from the hop profile. However, this may be TOO subtle, especially when considering the style at hand here. There's a bit of malty sweetness, as well as brief astringency from the hop resins, but otherwise this is not too complex by any means. I wouldn't say it's necessarily "balanced" either!

There's a rush of floral, grassy hop notes, as well as lemon, that melds decently into the crisp grainy profile and finishes with a touch of sweetness and bitterness that is mild yet inoffensive. Slightly earthy, but nothing wrong, unlike the initial skunked phenols in the initial aroma. Not as fruity as I usually like my IPAs, and I'd go as far to call this a golden ale with extra aromatic dry hops included in it. Definitely not too astringent, but the initial burst of floral hops is rather nice. The body is relatively thickened, and to me is the biggest strength of this beer, which makes this easy to drink, if relatively underwhelming.

I remember having Big Daddy in bars across SF years ago when I was first getting into craft and found it to be overwhelmingly mediocre (given the fanboyism that went around for it), but it seems that it might have changed for the better here. There's less of that prickly graininess from the original recipe and little bit more balance here, as well as extra charm added to the hop profile. However, it's not something I'd really have again unless offered.

05-16-2013 16:48:48 | More by magictacosinus
draheim

Washington

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a pale copper w/ a big sudsy bright white head that leaves behind some nice big sticky clumps of lace.

Aroma is a clean blend of floral and piney hops, a little muted but I don't know how old the bottle is.

Taste is also a bit subdued. Pale biscuity malt and American hops with a mild bitterness on the finish. A hint of lemon. This could almost be an APA, I'm thinking it might be a few months past its prime. Still, drinkable and refreshing.

Mouthfeel is clean, light, and crisp.

Overall a decent but unremarkable IPA.

04-12-2013 05:18:22 | More by draheim
JG-90

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

220z into glass

A -Clear and bright copper color. Pours a medium creamy/bubbly head that slowly recedes and leaves heavy lacing

S - Mostly dark malts, not a huge nose, just a touch of hops

T - Starts with a slight orange flavor, then hoppiness, with a bit of a heavier malty finish. Has a very clean finish, very drinkable.

M - Medium body and carbonation, with a bit of creaminess

O - Maltier than I expected for a west coast IPA, but still balanced and drinkable

03-26-2013 01:19:39 | More by JG-90
Dbrown144

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark copper or amber with an average foam head.

S: smells great. Smells like piney hops with a little citrus and barley.

T: has a strong, but far from overpowering hoppy flavor, definite hints of citrus, and a decent malt backbone.

M: goes down very nicely and has exceptional consistency to it. As the bottle says, it does have a strong hoppy flavor with a clean dry finish.

O: one of my very favorite beers.

03-12-2013 05:22:34 | More by Dbrown144
constantine_272

Oregon

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Highly carbonated. Dark copper with a thick head with great retention. The average bubble diameter is quite small lending to great color uniformity of foam.

S: I smell oats and barley. A touch of earthiness with hemp.

T: Sweetness up front followed with soft caramel and nutty walnut flavors. The taste finishes with a mild floral hop and mild fruit. I get a hint of raspberry on the slightly tangy fruit finish, usually only a flavor from darker stouts. The tanginess is slightly citrusy, predominantly orange peel. After a few more drinks I get a metallic copper flavor that builds.

M: Mostly clean finish, a little residual flavor from the hops is to be expected. A bit heavier than your average ipa in consistency. No doubt due to the extra malts.

O: Quite a unique ipa. I like the sweetness and the odd mix of fruit tones from the malt but not the copper flavor. Overall a nice ipa that sets itself apart from the other thousands quite well.

03-09-2013 05:03:33 | More by constantine_272
ElSid

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

The Beers of California

#72

Bottled Date: 2/14/13

A: Clear, pale yellow with an ephemeral white head. The head reduces to a layer of white with decent layering on the glass.

S: Fresh spring flowers, pine, citrus zest, and touch of black pepper along with some honey and caramel sweetness.

T: Clean hop bite with earth, pine, and lemon peel. The spice also has elements of pepper and garlic. The fruit that is there is predominantly citrus and much more muted relative to the nose. The malt is barely there with honey and caramel breadiness. The finish is puckering.

M: Oily linger that coats the mouth with a feel that is ale medium and carbonation that is faint to medium.

O: A decent IPA with nice bitterness but little complexity. This brew is not much to look at and the label of 'good' can barely be applied here. Although decent and drinkable, this beer is not quite an IPA regular in the refrigerator.

03-02-2013 06:37:30 | More by ElSid
BryanCarey

3.91/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Golden/amber in color, this beer has a nose that is floral, spicy, a little bit citrus- like, with some caramel and pine. The foam level is nice, sits atop a clear body, and does hold its own for a while, even though it leaves only a small amount of lacing.

Moving to the taste, this IPA offers flavors consistent with other west- coast IPA. The taste of citrus, piney hops dominate, but they rest on the solid malt backbone that adds some caramel malt, pale malt, and bread flavor to the mix. The body of the beer is medium and the ale has a long, dry finish that mellows out with each passing minute.

I love a good IPA and Big Daddy IPA is certainly a beer worthy of a try. With its citrus and floral hop- accented flavor, this IPA is much like other American west coast IPA. At the same time, however, this IPA actually offers a good degree of balance and its malt contributions, while trumped by the flavor of the hops, are still noteworthy and they offer a good, solid base to support the hops.

This IPA is a tasty one for certain and I recommend a six pack if you can track one down. Its distribution base is still somewhat limited, but Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA is certainly a beer worth taking some effort to find.

02-26-2013 04:09:08 | More by BryanCarey
lordofstarside

Nevada

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz to a pint glass. Bottled on 10/30/12, a little over three months old, should still be pretty fresh. Just finished reading Elie Wiesel's "Night" along with a book about Clinical Ethics. Needless to say, even though it's only 3pm I could really use a beer :(

Pretty interesting bottle art, the colors and theme make for a nice presentation. The beer pours a nice consistent light gold with a perfect two fingers of head. It receded down to one finger pretty quickly, and is retaining a finger of foam. Mild carbonation stems from the bottom of the glass against perfect clarity with the lacing almost up to par. Nearly a flawless looking beer, a bit more color would have a perfect score. There's an aroma of thick piney hops among a consistent floral citrus base. Notes of orange zest meld well with some grapefruit that comes together with a a solid bready malt. At 6.5% no alcohol comes through, leaving this an above average smelling brew. Taste of moderate hops come along with a rigid malty base. Not much of the citrus from the nose translates well across the palate, leaving the beer a little bland. Feel, like most other beers, is done well, with a crisp body that's a little on the light side. Little to no alcohol in the taste makes this pretty easy to drink, with a dry finish. Overall this is a bit mild for a west coast ipa in the sense more efforts seem to be taken to balance the beer. As always I'm sure the beer would have a stronger hoppy profile fresh off the tap opposed to three and a half months in a bottle, but the malt detracts from much of the other flavors. Still pretty good though, though I've had many better I've had even more a lot worse. Pick it up and give it a try if you have the chance

02-17-2013 23:18:28 | More by lordofstarside
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Two finger of fluffy head on a medium straw colored body.
It has a strong aroma of lemon and pine. Really nice.
The taste has good malt backbone with medium lemon bitterness. It's smooth and straightforward.
A softer texture with moderate carbonation and medium body.
A solid, go-to IPA.

01-26-2013 01:13:54 | More by Fatehunter
BeerLover99

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: cloudy dirty orange, trace off-white head, quite solid lacing

S: orange jam, grassy, malt, sugar/candy

T: orange jam/peel, hint of grassy, malt, sugar/candy
slow bitter finish

M: med body, oily mouth

O: Nice IPA offering. Perhaps good intro
for newbie. Would buy again. Nearly sessionable
American IPA, fine balance. New to this brewery;
love to explore and support new craft breweries.

DELIGHTFUL; NOT MUST HAVE!

01-24-2013 22:28:17 | More by BeerLover99
smakawhat

Maryland

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured on tap into a shaker pint.

A real nice classic amber orange with lots of cola carbonation rising up. Head is a little soapy off white, laces real nicely and always leaves a puck. Otherwise pretty solid.

Nose is muted hop, a little citrus barely peeks out, some nice hit of caramel malts. Good balance but not hop forward.

Palate hits toned down but real nice balance. Nice sweet malts and light toasty brown sugar. Hop angle comes out nicely with some citrus orange and hits of pine. Mildly coating with a balanced finish on the palate. Carbonation is dialed down nicely letting everything coat.

Overall not an amazing brew, but certainly one to know about. I could easily have this again. Drinks very easily too.

01-23-2013 17:43:46 | More by smakawhat
TheMarkE

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Excellent. Everything an IPA should be, full of citrus hops assaulting the tongue with enough malt to keep it honest. Smooth and refreshing.

01-09-2013 03:29:34 | More by TheMarkE
FosterJM

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

1664th Review on BA
Draft to 16oz Stella Artois Chalice

@Buffalo Wild Wings, Chino Hills, CA for $5.25
Paired with Asian Zing, Thai Curry and Parmesean garlic boneless wings

App- A big glowing orange color with some tans/browns around the edges. A bit of yellow and gold in the center. A nice 2 finger fluffy head was there and had a good amount of soapy cling. A little bit less as it got to the bottom of the glass.

Smell- Fairly hoppy with a bit of a thicker citrus note. A bit dry at a big pull and a bit grassy as well. A nice balanace but still a bit thick and dense vs. bright and hoppy. A bit creamy as well.

Taste- I thought it was good. A nice solid IPA from Nor. Cal. Had a good amount of balance and hops behind it. The malts were a bit subtle and thick, but overall the whole flavor was a bit thick. Thicker hops and a bit more deep citrus created a good flavor that went well with the wings.

Mouth- A solid medium body. Not sure where they intended this in a bottle version. Might have to compare. A solid carbonation and a bit dry and citrusy with a bit of bitter hops on the finish. More residual citrus is on the finish.

Drink- This was a solid West coast IPA. A bigger beer than the 6% would lead on. A nice balance and fairly dense. A well rounded flavor. Solid but not wowing. A good go to it would seem for the bottle price. Id have again.

12-19-2012 19:22:18 | More by FosterJM
nUgZ

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks to SanFranJake for this opportunity.

A: Pours a nice golden color with a 1 1/2 finger head and nice lacing.

S: Tons of floral and citrus hop aromas. Not much malt to speak of.

T: Just like the smell, the flavor is full of citrus and floral hops with a hint of malt in the background.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O: I really like this beer!! It's just what I look for in an IPA. It absolutely assaults your senses with hops! If it was a little hazy, I would give it a solid 4.5.

12-15-2012 03:15:52 | More by nUgZ
elNopalero

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

This pours a straw golden in color with loose sloppy white bubbling.

The aroma is lightly hoppy with some grassy straw rounding it off. The flavor starts off with a straw bitterness then develops warming orange mmmarmalade notes (the extra ‘mmms’ are for how delicious they are). This is a dry & approachable IPA with a light malt backbone that plays nicely with the hop profile.

11-18-2012 08:41:26 | More by elNopalero