Big Daddy IPA - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Big Daddy IPA
No picture uploaded.
good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Daddy IPA Alström Bros

Hopster916, Sep 15, 2013

kushlash23, Aug 28, 2013

jryanj927, Aug 28, 2013

JimGlonke, Aug 27, 2013
4.06/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

This is the only beer on the list from this brewing company, but I am excited to drink it. The history of this brewing company is cool, and I have an interest in the Prohibition. I mean… Imagine a time without alcohol. That's just silly! It is cool to see bars popping up that are themed like an old speakeasy. We went to one in Las Vegas that was pretty cool, and there is one here in Old Town Scottsdale that we like. The one in Scottsdale has a list of rules you must follow. They mean business, too. Their drinks are a little overpriced, but it's a neat place to take someone that is from out of town.

I think my favorite part of this beer are the eyes on the neck of the bottle. The same eyes are even on the side of the brewing company. Oh, and Big Daddy, the original big daddy, is named Dave Keene. One of my golf buddies is also named Dave Keene. Get this… Dave just called me! Random. Anyway, it's time to drink. I'm thirsty. Cheers!

In the Glass: The beer pours a nice golden color, and leaves a lovely three finger head with impressive lace for an American IPA. The lace is sticky and I just want to lick it off the side of the glass so I don't miss any hoppy goodness. The tasting notes promised a nice citrus aroma. Let's see.

Nose: I am definitely getting some nice citrus notes on the nose. I am talking straight grapefruit juice. Speaking of grapefruit juice, I really like grapefruit juice. Grapefruit juice and vodka is the best!

Flavor: That's a good IPA. The hops aren't overwhelming and I am getting some serious citrus notes on the palate, too. The mouthfeel might be my favorite part, though. But we will get to that. This beer is also really easy to drink and I could see myself finishing off a pitcher of this in no time. I am not sure if this is the same recipe they used during Prohibition, but I will pretend it is!

Mouthfeel: As I drink this, the front of my palate has a nice thick almost creamy feeling and as it hits the back of the palate the carbonation really starts to kick in. For a baseline American IPA, this beer has quite a lot of complexity. The bomber is almost gone it is so good.

Aftertaste: The hop flavor keeps on going, but as I continue to swallow it begins to dry out. I just can't get over how much complexity there is in this beer. They use a pretty nice array of hops in this, but nothing outrageous. The beer tastes so good I have a hard time letting it sit before taking another sip!

The beer really isn't anything to write home about, but it is a great example of the style. The aftertaste keeps me going back for one more sip. This beer also tastes great ice cold. I am sure some more hop flavor would open up as it heats up, but it is tasty cold. I bet this would be great on tap. Most beers are. Here's to another good example of an American IPA. Cheers!

rickyleepotts, Aug 26, 2013