Big Daddy IPA - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Big Daddy IPABig Daddy IPA

good

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Daddy IPA Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -5.1%

A solid, middle of the road IPA. Nothing too exceptional about it, but enjoyable. I picked this bottle up because they had it at Jungle Jim's and I'd never seen it before. I enjoyed it, but I can't say that I'd seek it out to have it again. There other IPAs, such as Two-Hearted, that are readily available where I live and a good bit better than Big Daddy.

Body is pretty light in color for an IPA, and head is of medium quantity but short-lived duration. Aroma is primarily grassy hoppiness, but is fairly light. There isn't much of a hop punch-in-the-mouth with that first sip, and what there is sort of steadily diminishes with each subsequent sip. Flavor is hoppier in the beginning, but maltiness takes over as you finish the glass. Mouthfeel is unremarkable. Maybe a touch on the thin side, but really not worth talking about for good or bad.

This beer was just sort of OK. I enjoyed it, as I enjoy most beers I drink, but it hardly knocked my socks off.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance: Hazy yellow colour with a pillowy head. The carbonation is quite lively.

Aroma: Floral hops, with a fruity notes of grapefruit, and a heavy citrus.

Taste: Crisp and refreshing. Dry, bitter, floral hops with mild citric undertones. The malts provide a light sweetness in the middle. The finish is big on the bitterness.

Mouthfeel: The feel lively and dry.

Drinkability: I am gradually beginning to appreciate a good American IPA, in the past they have been too bitter for me but it seem that the bitterness is something that i"m starting to crave. This beer is one of the best yet. It's bitter but also manages to maintain an overall lightness. If I can get my hands on this again I definitely be buying it.

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

Reviewed on 8/27/09 solo @ The Gingerman,

Appearance: Light wheat/tan color with 1 finger head.

Smell: Citrus hops

Taste: Opens with floral hops which are over taken by citrus hops. The citrus hops come through from the middle to the end. Just before the finish there a slight malt/sweetness leaving a citrus/sweet hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, and dry with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: I would definitely have this again and definitely worth a try. Speakeasy has yet to disappoint.

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Deep yellow gold in color. Fluffy, billowy head fills the top of the glass. Some fluffy lacing too.

S: Spicy hop and malt aromas lift from the glass. Not as strong as I like, but definitely present.

T: Malty hop finish. Malts settle sweetly into the middle of the tongue, while the hops burn off on the sides and back.

M: Medium body with some tasty sticky hop residue. Slight lifting carbonation.

D: A solid IPA. I like the hints of hop stickiness and balancing malts. If this was on the right hand coast, I'd be all over it all of the time.

Served: in an imperial pint glass.

Review notes taken on: 8/2/09

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Attained through a trade

Appearance: Poured a hazy light caramel color. Two fingers of head to start, but it's slowly fading. A thin layer remains on top, with lacing going from head to toe.

Smell: This will be a balanced IPA. The smell is revealing some pine, orange and caramel. Was hoping for something a little more unbalanced, but this will still be enjoyable.

Taste: As the smell revealed, it's a well balanced IPA. A very nice caramel flavor up front, with a pleasant hop flavor/aftertaste. There are enough hops in this to coat my mouth with hop oils, which is always quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer, with a nice level of carbonation. The carbonation seems a little bit low, but the beer goes down easy.

Drinkability: I could sip on a few of these, but there are other IPA's that I enjoy more. So far with my West Coast IPA trading, this one comes in 2nd out of the 3. I'm hoping that some of these other ones are better though.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours pale orange with a fast fading head. Big citrus/pine nose. Shortbread malts, some caramel, a lactic hit in the middle, and stinging clove and lemongrass hops. Creamy feel, a bit of ABV burn.

Good balance for a West Coast IPA. Only moderate hops match with ABV heat hurts the drinkability, though; only half a percent off a DIPA by some standards.

There's a sourness that doesn't belong there; I wonder if this particular bottle was sitting around a while. I've had it better and on tap lots of fresh floral notes come out.

Additional tastings are rounder, with a grapefruit sherbet note to it.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

355ml bottle bought online from Beersofeurope

Poured a nice golden orange colour. White head poured small but pretty thick then faded to light wispy coating with thickish edging... barely any carbonation... some decent lacing lines...

Aroma - Juicy fruits (grapefruits, oranges, limes, apples), lots of strong piney and floral hops, very perfumed, some talcum powder traces, light rubberiness, honey sweetness, some herbalness..

Taste - Lots of floral and citrus hop bitterness followed by light sugary sweetness, juicy tart fruits (grapefruits, lemons, pears), light caramel malts and hints of floral honey, some graininess, tobacco hints, chalky, quite herbal, alcohol just noticeable, perfumed, coppery...

M&D - Smooth and creamy with a little sharp bite... medium / full bodied... pretty quaffable...

Overall - A pretty standard IPA... there are so many better examples but worth a try...

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

I remember this beer being better than it was. I bought a six pack and expected a decent hoppy IPA. What I tasted was an oxidized malty amber. It is not a bad beer, just not a great IPA. I would have one if I was handed a bottle, but I don't think I will grabbing it off of the shelf any time soon. On the other hand, the wife loves it, so it may show up in our fridge anyway.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance - pours a nice golden color with a very nice head that sticks around a while.

Smell is citrusy with a nice grassy note.

Taste is citrusy with a very dry finish.

Mouthfeel is dry quenching feel.

Drinkability is excellent. I could drink this beer all day.

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into shaker pint glass. Color was a golden amber, with a white 2 finger head. Head became thin, but clung to sides, and was replenished by rising carbonation. Aroma was hoppy, and citrusy, and slightly sweet. Taste was a bit bitter, with some white bread flavor. Felt thin in the mouth, fairly watery. Easy to drink, possible to session.

3.05/5  rDev -18%

A: Golden and strawlike in color. Thin head and light lacing

S: West coast floral hoppy, slightly citrus

T: Hops... overly hopped without a lot of charachter.

M: Very light and bubbly... almost too light and bubbly

D: The hops used are high quality, but it lacks character

3.1/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a very light straw goldenrod color with no head and minimal lacing. Smell is grapefruit and a tiny bit of malt but mostly just the mildly sticky hops. Taste is tinny and bitter, hints of citrus and pine but nothing to be proud of. This is a very average IPA... it is light in color, bitter, and smells faintly of hops. Nothing really wrong with it, just doesn't impress me. Drinkability is a little above average though.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

This IPA poured crystal clear golden yellow into flute mid morning on July 4th. Lacing was strong and the head was frothy and substantial. The tiny bubbles could be mistaken for champagne, although it might have just been the flute.

The nose is a hop explosion with a resiny pine and caramel sweetness. A slight hint of vanilla is present underneath the pine. Fantastic overwhelming aroma.

Lot's of body in the mouth with the gravity being a tad above what is right for an IPA. This one is an under performer on taste for what it gives you in the nose. Reasonably bitter with the thickness feeling a bit sugary and filling. I suppose as a hop head it doesn't quite stand up on the bitter for my tastes.

A fine beer, but is a tad heavy for my tastes.

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

The beer poured into the glass to reveal a light golden color. The aroma brought fourth was light and flowery. The mouthfeel was moderate. The taste had a mild grapefruit component that was pretty consistent throughout the finish and aftertaste. This is generally one of my favorite breweries. The was an OK IPA, but I like most of the Speakeasy beers I have tried better.

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice medium amber with a pretty slight head. Kind of murky looking, sort of like chill haze or something.

Smell is lemon zest, powdered sugar, caramel and some hay/grass. Not a whole lot else in the nose.

Taste is a bitter citrus flavor upfront, not exactly the piney graprefruity tongue numbing wallop I've come to expect from West Coast IPAs but a more subtle and more sweet & balanced IPA.

Smooth drinking for the most part and worth another bottle for sure. This is however coming in behind the Prohibition Ale as far as Speakeasy's beers go.

Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA
12 oz brown bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a coppery light orange color with some dark yellow highlights. Nice head on top - fluffy and showcasing good head retention.

Pleasant aroma with an emphasis on the hops. Equally floral and citrus.

I like the malt backbone of the beer with a nice crispness overall. The hop flavors are omnipresent with hints of oranges, peaches. pine and a tad peppery.

A truly solid beer. I constantly find myself digging these types of West coast style IPA's.

I first had this beer at The Jury Room in Quincy and have since picked up a 6 pack and I'm quite pleased.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tuplip glass.

A. Light orange color, minimal hazing. Looks to be filtered. Pours a huge 2 inch head that lingers. Nice lacing down the entire glass.

S. Hops, hops, hops. Distinctly floral nose. Smelling a littl emalt weetness, but barely.

T. A very tasty first sip, the floral hops dominate the taste buds. Not very bitter for an IPA. Also not picking up much flavor other that the slightly citrsy/floral hop profile.

M. A bit light, while you can see some carbination in the pour, it doesn't come across in the mouthfeel. Nat bad, but not that great, hence the avg. rating.

D. This is an easy drinking IPA, good session beer for us hop heads. Pretty light for the style, but has lots of hop flavor.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

12 ounce bottle purchased at Abe's in Bethlehem for $2. Poured into my nonic Imperial pint glass. Appears a slightly hazed bright golden yellow color with about an inch of dense off white foam. The head leaves a noticeable lacing on the inside of my glass with each sip. Smells of fruity pebbles cereal - orange, lemon, cherry, and lime, and of course the cereal. Tastes of sweet caramelized malts, cereal grains, orange, lemon, touch of ruby red grapefruit, flowery and fruity hops. Medium carbonation, but a bit thin bodied. Pretty tasty stuff though. I can't believe I've passed their (Speakeasy) beers by so many times. I'll seek out more of their offerings in the future.

3.13/5  rDev -15.9%

Had this in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Burger Bar. First had as part of the sample flight and waiter was nice enough to bring me a pint that was mispoured for another customer knowing that I ordered it. Honestly wouldnt have ordered more but sure as hell wouldnt pass it up.

Poured into pint glass and then to-go for the rest to the craps table with me in a plastic cup.

A: Amber red color with the look of a well filtered beer. Fairly thick head that has an off white shade of lacing on the first glass. Standard.

S: Not too intense, earthy hops. Very west coast like with some citrus fruits as well. Intensity moderated some because it followed a ruination.

T: One sided hops. Fairly more intense than the nose but the flavors were not all that great, one dimensional and boring. I wouldn't think in a place like this it could have been too old or bad lines but it had the true taste of a bottle that had been on the shelves too long for an IPA.

M: Considerable bubbles and life. Far would have preffered a more chewy mouthfeel.

D: West coast hops are nice but there are a couple puzzle pieces missing that would make this a top notch beer. Not horrible, just not great.

3.13/5  rDev -15.9%

A: Slightly cloudy orangish color, 1 finger width white head, good lace down the glass
S: smell is of toffee, caramel. Very sweet candylike citrusy smell..
T: Much the same as the smell. Toffee and sweet candylike hoppiness. Citrusy and maybe some pineapple as well
M: Full bodied, harsh bitter mouthfeel that is not very enjoyable really
D: Not a horrible beer but nothing I would willingly buy again. The sweetness in this beer and the puckering bitterness in the aftertaste was strange.

4.78/5  rDev +28.5%

I picked this up at my local corner store that stocks all kinds of beer, some good some, bad, everything is $8.99 a sixer, no matter what it is and they keep their cooler nice and cold. Saw this was local, hadn't seen it before, sold.

Popped one open took a swig, and reached immediately for a pils glass--tasty flavor out of the bottle, but I could tell right away I wanted to pour a glass for this one. Nice cloudy appearance, light head, delicious hops smell. I drank the first one in about 5 minutes and went right back for seconds and then thirds. This is probably the tastiest IPA I've had in a long time and I can drink a few at a time and love every one of them. I like the Stone version and back in Boston was always a fan of the Harpoon IPA, but this one is special. It goes down so smooth, just the right amount of aftertaste, just crisp and refreshing all around. I am a huge fan--on my 3rd six pack in a few weeks.

All around, one of my new favorites. I will look for more Speakeasy offerings based on this one beer.

EDIT: I had an opportunity to have this beer on tap at "District" in San Francisco and it was even better than the bottle.

Let's be honest here. I review beers as if they're automatically going to be trash. You have to prove to me otherwise for a good rating from me. After an atrocious organic brew by "bud" brewery I decided to check out something that had more of a kick to it and was from the state I have yet to have a terrible beer from; California.

IPAs are a difficult beer to brew because its hard to gain the complexity of the bite with a lingering aftertaste that will want you to get plowed. Essentially any standard pale ale can do it, but IPA kicks it up a notch on the aftertaste. Either its good enough for a "session" or enough to make you switch to the water brews. Big daddy is no exception to the rule of IPAs, only seasoned beer snobs drink it, so it better be complex on the fly. I picked this bottle up from Lee's Discount Liquor in Vegas after I heard from the stock guy this was a brand new batch.

The pour of this brew was smooth, light carbonation with a cloudy finish to the liquid. It smelled standard, though why the hell does a smell or pour to a beer matter? It smells like crap to everyone else, just drink the damn thing and rate it from there. Switch the bigger percentage (beeradvocate.com bros) of the total grade to mouthfeel and drinkability. You don't pour beers to look at them and use them as a glade plug-in.

The taste is probably the best I've ever had, I would rival this to Stone IPA character if it wasn't so damn drinkable. The guy who brews this beer must have the same palette as me because the description on the bottle is exactly how this beer tastes. You essentially get a burst of hop flavor when you drink, with a very slight aftertaste that builds as the night goes on. I'm not poetic, but if you wanted consistent, good sex with a beer, this would be it for IPAs. I should know because I had the whole six pack and wanted more.

IPAs are a snob beer, but if you want friends to enjoy the flavors you're having then this is surely the gateway drug to the addiction. I love this brew and recommend it to any virgin to the IPA league. Hell if you don't drink it, there's more for me to buy so it wont bother me at all if you pass.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours an enormous white head comprised of a mixture of small and big bubbles. Smooth in parts and pot marked in others, like a teenage boy with acne. But don't let that turn you off!

The head lasts quite faithfully and even as it slowly succumbs to the pressures of its new environment it leaves a lasting legacy behind of large chunks of oddly shaped lacing.

The color is brilliant golden with orange hues. Did they filter this beer twice?! This beer is star bright.

The aroma is dominated by citrusy hops. There is a slight pineapple aroma swaying amongst the other citrus.

A west coast ipa for sure. Sweet delicious resiny hops. Bitterness bitterness bitterness. A meager little malt sweetness tries to greet your tongue but is being held down by a 500 pound hop cone.

Medium to medium light carbonation and body are present.

A tasty ipa that I would gladly have two of but no more for fear of my taste buds revolting and jumping out of my mouth.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

brought a bottle back from a summer trip to San Francisco, finally drinking it.

nice golden color, thin head on top.
great hop flavor still, even if its 6 months old.
sweet malt flavor which makes it very drinkable. could have a 2nd bottle right away.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with minimal white head, though the pint I was served was quite cold.

I asked for this beer only knowing it was called "Big Daddy," but upon smelling the pint it was apparent it was an IPA because of the overwhelming hop smell-- on the order of Stone magnitude. The initial flavor was excessively hoppy for my tastes, but the aftertaste I found lingered quite pleasantly.

Big Daddy IPA from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers