Double Daddy - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

to view more.
Ratings: 635 | Reviews: 327
3.83/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This had a nice malty balanced, with some old world piney hop flavour.

2.71/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

It's ok. Not bad, not awesome.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Deep amber colour with off white head leaves some lacing. Scent is hoppy but not over powering, grassy with a citrus presence, orange or grapefruit maybe. Taste is similar to aroma but with enough caramel malt to balance. Mouthfeel is great. I always sip IPA'S so enjoying this one is not a problem. I love west coast IPA'S with spicy BBQ meats and am sure this one fits in fine. 4 out of 5 stars. Enjoy!

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Great hoppy aroma with a 1" head with good mouth feel. The bitterness is a little overwhelm. If they can reduce the IBU with the bitternes while keeping everything else, this would be a great beer.

3.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not something i will ran out and get, but a solid drink

3.81/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a Speakeasy pint glass

A: Pours deep amber with a frothy off white head that settles and laces well.

S: Sweet caramel malt, some grapefruit, and some light fruity notes.

T: Citrus hops, grapefruit stands out, also some orange, a little pine, a bit herbal, with nice caramel malt sweetness.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O: Maybe not super special, but a solid brew none the less.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Amber color with a thick head that does not go away and leave good laces.
Sweet and nice aroma with lots of pineapple juice with mint and passion fruit.
Flavor with notes of grapefruits, American yeast, spices, pine, herbal, caramels and peaches. Quite dry and bitter aftertaste that lasts for a long time.
Full body with appropriate carbonation. A bit sticky. Alcohol of 8.5% abv is well concealed.
Very flavorful DIPA, it seems a bit under rated, though I am drinking it on tap and it is fresh. Still, as several DIPAs, I would cut down its body. I know... the style, still...

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Great beer

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: clear; copper colored; 1 finger white head that receded slowly to a thin cap; nice lacing;

S: caramel malt is predominant with dank pine behind it;

T: dank pine for a split second, then caramel malt; alcohol is present in finish with moderate bitterness;

M: medium bodied; moderate bitterness;

O: I was missing the hops that I so desperately wanted to taste; not a bad beer, but too malty;

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: deep amber ale, not quite clear; pint center-pour produces as much tan foam as you want. Lacing left down the glass.

S: pine and resin and caramel; some herbal, husky, grassiness

T: mellow up front with smooth malts and syrupy sweets; subsides quickly as bitterness, sweet nut, and then bitterness again wash over the tongue; some herbal and spice-like suggestions, finishes with a more savory character

M: medium-bodied and warming, some tingle as it slides across the palate; dull, muted, woodsy-bitterness

O: depending on your preferences with DIPAs, this is probably either a good one-timer or something that fills a particular (beer) niche for you and you really dig. I certainly enjoyed it, but I tend to lean toward and enjoy paler DIPAs than this.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. Bottle, no freshness date. Thanks to Aaron for hooking me up with this.

Appearance: Clear amber with a nice sticky head.

Aroma: Pine, orange marmalade, citrus rind, slight onion/garlic, grapefruit, light tobacco, smells like they used the three "C" hops for sure, cracker-ish malt.

Taste: A big smack of west coast pine up front, then pithy grapefruit, citrus, slight orange, more cracker like malt in the back, onion/garlic. Lingering pine bitterness.

Body: As expected for a DIPA, no surprises here.

Overall: Not a bad west coast DIPA. This is the first brew I've had from these guys. Wish I knew when this was bottled. C'mon guys, how hard is it to slap a date on your bottle? Nothing unique going on here, but very good none the less.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured a orangish gold with good head and lace on top of an aroma that is bitter, citric hops and has minor bread and caramel malt. Balance is off as this OK beer has too much hop bitterness, citric and earth mostly, and finishes dry and bitter as the malts are overpowered. Also a bit of booze leaks in. Just not well-crafted DIPA and a case of too much hops for me.

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle - same scratchy Prohibition-era screened imagery as the other offerings from this brewery.

This beer pours a super-clear, pale golden amber hue, with three fat-ass fingers of puffy, loosely foamy, and generally bubbly ecru head, which leaves some rather pleasant randomly webbed lace around the glass as it slowly ebbs away.

It smells of acrid grapefruit, orange, and dried kiwi fruit, biscuity, bready, and crackery malt (where be the caramel, my beat-up nostrils seem to be intimating), a hard water flintiness, once again, and further, rather affirmative pine and spruce needle astringencies. The taste is more of the same - sharp, yet somewhat dank pine, indistinct, yet complex and complicated citrus, dry crackery bread, the purported caramel still on the lam, as it were. Simple, this one is, but confusing all the same.

The carbonation is fairy tight in its nearly metallic-seeming, low-key frothiness, the body just on the medium-light side, weight-wise, and more or less smooth, a certain alcohol astringency pulling and prodding all the way along - convincing - perhaps. It finishes more dry than I might have imagined, except that I've sampled this brewery's amber and regular IPA, and this is more than par for the course.

A hop-head's wet dream, as I might imagine, being of said ilk - a DIPA with little to no caramel, and very little other, for that matter, malt sweetness. Straight-up bittering hops, boyos, and damned-near nothing else, beyond a surprisingly subtle alcohol edginess. I dunno, but I wasn't quite expecting this, especially from a non-San Diego area brewery, but here we are at this 10-dollar crossroad for we far northerners - yea, or nay? Hard to say, but there's enough going on here to recommend taking it for at least a spin, if you like what you'd just heard.

3.37/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.99 for a 22! Pretty good. Though I'm not a fan of the screen printed bottles.

Pours a clear, light copper with no haze. Thick, white, 1" foamy head that leaves a nice cap and lacing.

Big toasted/biscuit malts on the nose with a dank resiny aroma from the hops. The yeast plays a big estery role with some spice and fruitiness. Really nice.

Super hop forward, balanced malts, lingering sweetness and some astringent bitterness. Toasted malts come out with and play nicely with the pepper yeast notes and floral hops.

Feels very dry even though it drinks sweet. Not thin. Very effervescent. A little sting from the hops.

Not a bad DIPA, but not great. In a market flooded with this style there are plenty I would prefer.

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to my Aunt Tracy for this bottle, enjoyed chilled in a tulip shared the 22oz with tenderbranson69.

The color is dark copper with mild haze and thick white cap with very fine bead. Lace sticks in a thick pattern on the glass. The smell i strong with fruity yeast ester and light toasted malt with a piney hop aroma and light citrus accent, low alcohol in the overall smell. The feel is good with dry malt body and spice with medium carbonation and resinous texture with sweet middle and mild alcohol with fruity tangy yeast and dry finish.

The flavor is very dank with fruity and floral flavors from the yeast and hops with slight spice and pine flavor with moderate bitterness and warming alcohol as it finishes. The hops have a subtle herbal accent with grassy flavor and peppery bitterness. Overall a decent Imperial IPA, not my first choice but pretty drinkable and I was certainly grateful for this -not as fresh tasting hop wise, however I would say try this if you like West coast Ipa's.

3.59/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a clear amber color with two fingers of fluffy foam. Quite aromatic, with piney and aspirin like hop aromas filling the room. Nice lacing.

First sip has a sharp hoppy bitter bite. The hop flavor is certainly present but not entirely enjoyable... almost too vegetal for my tastes. There is a lot of malty sweetness, but the hops provide the dominant flavors.

All in all, not my favorite IIPA. A bit to harsh, this beer could use a retooling of the hop balance.

4.39/5  rDev +20.3%

I have been recently inspired to review as many of the Speakeasy family of beers as possible, all the while imagining that I have been transported back in time to the Prohibition era in the United States. When I left off, I had been dallying with both Scarlett and Tallulah, the molls of Big Daddy and his brother, Double Daddy, respectively.

From the bottle: "San Francisco born & brewed"; "Doubling down on malt and hops, Double Daddy raises the stakes. With its good looks and no-limit style, Double Daddy takes the pot every time."; "Legit since 1997"; "Independently owned & operated".

Where Big Daddy got his Swiss mother's blonde hair and skin tone, his older brother, Double Daddy looked like he was straight out of downtown Palermo by comparison. He bade me sit down and he shuffled the cards as I poured. His eyebrows raised in a rare show of any kind of emotion as the head came right to the top of the glass before beginning to settle. The end result was two dense, rocky fingers of tawny head with great retention. Double Daddy lowered his head to signify that he wanted me to cut the cards while we waited. Double Daddy is a man of few words, preferring to let his deep-amber color (SRM = > 9, < 13) with its NE-quality clarity speak for itself. I always default to Double Daddy as holding the King of Hearts, since that is how he fancies himself. I will grant you that he is better to Tallulah than Big Daddy is to Scarlett, but he must be lacking something for her to be stepping out with me. Damned if I know what it is though, as the nose smells like a pine forest on a winter's day - cool, minty and resinous. I took my first draught and he reached over, prised my mouth open, pulled out my tongue and began beating it insensate! Jeez-O, man, this was one no-playing-around beer. The hops were unrelenting, beating and scrubbing at my poor, bruised tongue, leaving no question that it was a DIPA in my glass. Double Daddy stopped, reached up and removed his cigar from his mouth and asked, "Yer call. Ya wanna raise, check, or fold?" I suddenly realized that the smart play would be to fold and get the hell outta town, leaving him and his equally psycho brother and their women in my wake. Nobody ever accused me of being smart, so I raised and sat back, eyes watering. "Why are you still here?" asked Double Daddy, doubling down so that my next move would be all-in. "I like it here, Double Daddy," I replied. "People treat me real nice, plus I'm making some decent bank doing this 'n' 'at, here 'n' 'ere." He nodded and then asked a question that chilled me to my core, "Aincha afraid that one of those many twists that yer seein' is gonna blab, either to one of their own or to their old man?" I raised my glass as a toast, unable to speak as my throat was constricted tighter than the feather boa Scarlett wore last night. Double Daddy snorted and I pushed all of my chips to the center of the table. He placed his hand on the table with a big grin, two pair, including the King of Hearts and its partner, the King of Diamonds, fitting since he always sported a big diamond on his right pinky. His smile quickly faded like the rest of the beer in my glass when I revealed a Full House, all Spades. He spat out his stogie, threw a wad of bills at me and told me to get out. I did, but the bitterness he had produced was going to stay with me for a while.

#akashicbooks.com

My original bottle review, dtd 03-25-2007 follows:

I had some of this on tap last night at Arena B & G in Wilkes-Barre and it was deeelishus! Knowing that I had a bottle in my refrigerator at home, I decided to make it my first beer upon my return.

It poured with two fingers' worth of an eggshell-white head. The head also produced some great sticky lacing from top to bottom in the glass. The beer's color was a slightly hazy deep-amber. The nose was huge with hops - wet, floral, spicy, citrusy, just mouthwatering. The mouthfeel was full and almost thick. The taste was very hoppy from the outset to the finish, but it was not as sharp as what I had on tap last night. That is why I prefer to review tap beers, vice out of a bottle - draft is as fresh as it can be. Even so, I can envision myself cracking open another bottle of this in conjunction with some bleu cheese and crusty bread. Imps and Dubs be damned - however you classify it and whatever you call it, this is a really good beer.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Served in a pint glass from a 22oz bomber.

A - Pours a golden amber with a nice, white head. Plenty of lacing remains on the glass the entire time.

S - Piney hops hit me first, followed by some essence of the malts.

T - Picking up more malt, with a slightly bitter hop aftertaste.

M - A medium bodied beer with good carbonation.

A good DIPA. I've been drinking more Speakeasy beers lately and really liking their style.

3.17/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I'd seen this several times in liquor stores, but always had other targets in mind. Grabbed one this time just to give it a try.

App-Nice light amber color and creamy white head. Nice lacing and solid retention.

Smell- Malt...I smell malt...all I smell is malt..it's malty. It's not BAD malty, but I like my Double IPAs to smack me in the face a bit with hops and I don't get that here.

Taste-Did I mention it's malty?...for me, it's not as balanced as I like. I want to get a lot of hops from my big IPAs and again, this just doesn't have it. Not that it's horrible, just not really on my list of 'go too' IPAs.

Mouthfeel- It's best feature, for me. Nice, if slightly bready, feel for me. All that malt gives it a big body and it's a real mouthful.

Overall-Um...it's Malty....not horrible, but just doesn't set itself apart from the MANY really good Double or Imperial IPAs out there. Drinkable, even enjoyable, but not one I'd order if the menu included a good selection.

3.59/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in tulip. Poured a very attractive copper amber color with over 1/4 inch of off-white head that had very good retention and decent lacing.

The aroma had a very nice pine hop scent upfront, some lightly sweet malt underneath, and a bit of citrus around the edges. On the tongue, there was a ton of citrus hops, and the light pine and low malt aspects were definitely playing second fiddle. Those citrusy hops did leave a bitter finish that I found distracted from the whole flavor profile.

The body was very good, fuller than average, without being heavy, and had a clean, dry finish. Drinkability would have been great, except for that annoying bitterness on the finish. Overall, a surprisingly good brew from a brewery that's never really impressed me before. Certainly worth a shot if you see it.

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber to a pint glass, no bottle date

Pours a nice mild gold, some orange hues on the sides. Two fingers of foam and some pretty good retention, almost full transparency and mild carbonation. A little aggressive with the foam, other than that pretty solid

Smells of almost an equal balance of malt and hops. Some floral hoppy notes, a bit of grapefruit and citrus, along with a strong caramel base. Alcohol is pretty well concealed, while it's a good smelling beer there's not too much going on here

Taste is with the nose for the most part. Some pine and citrus notes upfront followed by a very dominating caramel malt. Comes together well, but again pretty basic as far as complexity goes. Very balanced between the malt and hop profiles

Feel is a nice chewy medium body. Low carbonation leaves a mild tinge, alcohol is well concealed, and the finish is pretty dry. Bitterness could be higher, but fairly drinkable

Overall this beer isn't the best or the worst. It's pretty balanced which I think defeats the purpose of the style, seems more like a single ipa with the abv pushed up. Only $6 for the bottle though, if it's available around that price it's worth a try

3.87/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - a nice shade of amber brown, nice carbonation giving me a 1/2 inch of somewhat sticky off white head.
S - Caramel malts and citrus hops mostly. Not getting much pine or bittering hops just sweet malts. Hope the ABV is hidden well.
T - Quite good the hops are mostly of the citrus/lemon peel variety and the caramel malt is also rather balanced not making for an overly sweet DIPA. ABV is well hidden I don't get any in the taste. Finish has just enough pine bite to make this beer interesting.
M - Medium to somewhat heavy it does a great job hiding the ABV but it does smack you in the face somewhat.

Overall I was quite impressed with this DIPA and the price is kind of high at 8 bucks for the bomber but it was worth the ticket price. Drinks better than most DIPA's I had and was 2x better than their imperial stout.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance - Pours a semi-hazy orangish amber with a sandstone colored finger width head. Fair retention leads to a firm layer of microbubbles across the surface. Thick, sticky lacing coats the glass.

Smell - Caramel and bread met by strong notes of orange and ruby red grapefruit. Slight pine.

Taste - Caramel character hits the tongue first, along with traces of toffee, but it's quickly enveloped by the massive hop presence. Mild orange sweetness hits midtaste, but gets overpowered by a bitter grapefruit pith character that strengthens near and into the finish. More balance comes through as it warms, allowing more of the caramel malt to play off that grapefruit bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium body, but the moderate, fluffy carbonation makes it feel a lot lighter than what actually is. Goes down stupid easy. Almost too easy.

Overall - An interesting, though not particularly outstanding example of a DIPA. I could see myself buying this again, but moreso on a whim than from a preconceived notion. The Bros. review mentioned a lot of heat... mayhap Speakeasy has tweaked their forumla in the 5 years since their review, but I found a fine balance on all fonts with this brew, particularly after it warmed to a nice temperature.

4.74/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aaaaahhhh. Ooooohhh how I have waited for double ipa revolution! This beer is beutiful and delectibly delicious, it's like a party in my mouth.The beer is good warm or cold, but it seems when it is warm it is more complex and the party is electrified in my mouth.alls I can say is drink up.

4.51/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Really Speakeasy?! A damned gusher!? I opened the bottle and some beer ended up on my kitchen floor. After I finished wiping it up, I was able to pour and admire the orange, hazy body. Tiny bubbles in the carbonation and a thin white head.

S: Peaches and musk up front, butter, raisins. Nicely fragrant.

T: Again with the sweet peaches, butter, and raisins, along with some juicy orange. Some warm spices. Very sweet but balanced pleasantly. Soft white bread. Can't quite place the hop varieties, but I'm guessing amarillo is in there columbus? Not much lingering bitterness at the end, finishes quickly compared to other IIPAs.

M: The roundest IIPA I have ever had. Creamy.

O: I hate to admit that I am not usually a fan of Speakeasy's beers, but this one turns things around! I think I will give them some more tries in the future.

to view more.