Double Daddy - Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

good

poor

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers visit their website

Beer added by: Troyone on 08-15-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Daddy Alström Bros
4.74/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aaaaahhhh. Ooooohhh how I have waited for double ipa revolution! This beer is beutiful and delectibly delicious, it's like a party in my mouth.The beer is good warm or cold, but it seems when it is warm it is more complex and the party is electrified in my mouth.alls I can say is drink up. (290 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle. Pours out a very clear amber color with a somewhat fleeting off-white head that fades to a ring. Nice aroma of floral and citric hops mixed nicely with some sweet caramel. Medium bodied and well carbonated. Hop bitterness coats the tongue and palate but is balanced well against the malt bill. Alcohol is hidden nicely. Lingering bitterness refuses to fade. Nicely done. (378 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +28.7%

Poured chilled in short ale glass (multiple times)

A: apricot colored; small head; fantastic lacing; decent carbonation
S: amazing, enduring hops aroma, even ten minutes after opening; very inviting
T: robust, hearty IPA; field-fresh hops flavor; the hops are really alive and prominent; malt seems downplayed to me, but I'm not complaining
M: very smooth mouthfeel

Really nice, solid IPA; glad it came at the end of the evening (430 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma is quite malty with hints of toasted cereal crains and some fruity sugar. Then the hops kick in on the second sniff. Huge floral hop aroma with a little woodiness thrown in. Nice fruity fermentation ester. Very nice layered aroma.

Deep gold colored and very clear. Small initial head fades very quickly to just a small rim around the glass, but there is nice delicate lines of bubbles rising from the bottom to the surface.

First sip is powerfully bitter, bitter start, bitter mid palate and ligering hop bitterness. Once my tastebuds kind of acclimated to the hop assault, I get a very nice malt backbone with flavors of brown sugar and honey. There's also a ton of fruit esters from whatever yeast they're using. I get hints of cherry and peach and sweet red apple. After half a pint I'm noticing way more malt in the aftertaste which for the first half was pure hop oil aftertaste.

Full bodied with a light, but not at all lifeless carbonation level. It's lively and refreshing but not fizzy at all. There's a pretty solid alchol warmth in the mouth and in the stomach.

Overall, a great effort at being both a hop bomb and a big flavorful malty beer. Drinkability, well, I probably wouldn't ever want more than one at a sitting, it's too big for that. But as an occasional night ender or sipper it fits the bill nicely. (1,340 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a four pack on my latest beer run. Poured from the brown silk screened bottle into a tulip glass. I was gratified with a perfect 1-1/4" of off white head of tight dense foam that lasted and lasted and produced heavy lacing as it dissipated. The beer was slightly cloudy with big chunks of unfiltered solids floating around an eventually settling to the bottom.

The nose on this one is exceptional! I had to give it a "5" because it was so unique. Sure there was the obligatory hop presence (like a grassy fresh mowed field). But there was also a sweet, carmel-like aroma as well.... rather odiferous!

Taste: Hey!... This stuff is GOOD! The beer that eats like a meal! Unique taste that combines a bitter hop with a sweet malt for a great balance. The grassy hops taste like alfalpha and the carmel sweetness of the malt provides a sweet balance. There is also a woodsy taste to add complexity.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich, chewey, minimal carbonation.... all lead to a GREAT DIPA!

Drinkability: Fantastic DIPA. I think that I even prefer this to Three Floyds Dreadnaught due to it's complexity and balance. AND.... that's saying something (to knock Dreadnaught off it's pedestal). (1,190 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +25.1%

Appearance: The color of clover honey with a very light head that dissipates quickly even when aggressively poured and leaves no real tracing on the glass but overall has nice even carbonation.

Smell: A pungent and fragrant aroma; faintly marine with hints of florals.

Taste: Extremely flavorful, the word zesty comes to mind. Full of just the kinds of bitter flavors I'd expect of a double IPA. Smoothes out very quickly leaving a very light aftertaste that just made me want to keep sipping to maintain the potent initial flavors.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, the light carbonation dissipates quickly, and the whole mouth feels the flavors. There may just be that hint of alcohol on the back of my tongue post-swallowing but this could be just because I know how high ABV is.

Drinkability: To date, my favorite of the Imperial IPA; a model example of the style. Comes in packs of four, which should tell you something about it's potency but is well worth the price and I will definitely have again. (1,006 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +24.5%

This one on-tap is much different as it is on the bottle. On tap it is gets hit first by a bitter bite, but then malts kick in -- but not overly sweet malts. It is even good enough that my mother and wife enjoyed it which is strange coming from a hop-head like me.

In the bottle it just tastes funky. But on tap, it is amazing and well worth the visit. I had it at the Yard house and was told that it is their #1 IPA, even beating the likes of Stone. I can see why it would be -- although the bottle version I'd take Stone any day.

But on-tap, you can' go wrong with this one! Recommended on-tap! (599 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Really Speakeasy?! A damned gusher!? I opened the bottle and some beer ended up on my kitchen floor. After I finished wiping it up, I was able to pour and admire the orange, hazy body. Tiny bubbles in the carbonation and a thin white head.

S: Peaches and musk up front, butter, raisins. Nicely fragrant.

T: Again with the sweet peaches, butter, and raisins, along with some juicy orange. Some warm spices. Very sweet but balanced pleasantly. Soft white bread. Can't quite place the hop varieties, but I'm guessing amarillo is in there columbus? Not much lingering bitterness at the end, finishes quickly compared to other IIPAs.

M: The roundest IIPA I have ever had. Creamy.

O: I hate to admit that I am not usually a fan of Speakeasy's beers, but this one turns things around! I think I will give them some more tries in the future. (840 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24%

Very nice silk screened bottle. So nice, I'm hanging onto it for decoration.

Clear, peach colored beer.

Mountainous, two finger, white head that slowly withered over the time of consumption but never disappeared.

Piney citrus hops in the nose.

Salty, piney, tangy hops balanced by a bready, malty backbone.

This is a very well balanced beer and a session one at that.

Try it, Mikey, you'll like it. (416 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +23.7%

Acquired via trade from IntriqKen, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him for the opportunity to try this beer. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color, with a very thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is simply full of floral hops and citrus sweetness, which blend nicely together.

T: The taste is well-balanced and straight-forward as the smell indicates. The hops bitterness and citrus sweetness compliment each other throughout each sip. There’s a mild alcohol burn, but not as much as a 9.50% ABV can typically provide. The after-taste is mild but consists of the hops bitterness for the most part.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, clean and dry finish.

D: This beer is very tasty, not very filling and quite is easy drinking for a beer with an ABV this high. This is a beer that I could drink a lot of over the course of an evening. (984 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

Pours a light brownish-orange, white thin head fading with lacing.

Ahh, aroma is hops, hops and malt. Oh and some breadiness too... mmm double IPA.

Wow, maybe it;s because this is my fifth IPA of the evening, but this thing seems exceptionally smooth for a doube IPA that's almost a double digit alc%. Tasty... (316 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a cloudy copper color with an inch of beige head. Pretty good lacing as well.

Smell is nice and hoppy and full of citrus aroma.

Taste is fantastic. Plenty of hop flavor throughout. Great tasting beer!

Mouthfeel is light-medium. Goes down nice and smooth.

Overall a really great beer. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'd really like to drink some more of this. Someday hopefully. (386 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +21.8%

ah, the beer that started it all for me... let's see if it still stacks up:

12. oz. bottle to chalice

A - Clear, ice-tea colored body with 1 fingered head, sinking to a staying ring around the top of the beer and thin lacing.

S - Fruity, hoppy smell, with notes of dried apricots and mangos. biscuity maltiness as well. alcohol makes an cameo too.

T - Oh wow, just a juicy as i remembered. Fresh burst of hops bitterness and a great, almost savory finish.

M - Starts thin and, then after the swallow, gets a bit syrupy.

D - Still love this beer, and, surpisingly easy to session, concidering the high ABV. (623 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +20.9%

I have been recently inspired to review as many of the Speakeasy family of beers as possible, all the while imagining that I have been transported back in time to the Prohibition era in the United States. When I left off, I had been dallying with both Scarlett and Tallulah, the molls of Big Daddy and his brother, Double Daddy, respectively.

From the bottle: "San Francisco born & brewed"; "Doubling down on malt and hops, Double Daddy raises the stakes. With its good looks and no-limit style, Double Daddy takes the pot every time."; "Legit since 1997"; "Independently owned & operated".

Where Big Daddy got his Swiss mother's blonde hair and skin tone, his older brother, Double Daddy looked like he was straight out of downtown Palermo by comparison. He bade me sit down and he shuffled the cards as I poured. His eyebrows raised in a rare show of any kind of emotion as the head came right to the top of the glass before beginning to settle. The end result was two dense, rocky fingers of tawny head with great retention. Double Daddy lowered his head to signify that he wanted me to cut the cards while we waited. Double Daddy is a man of few words, preferring to let his deep-amber color (SRM = > 9, < 13) with its NE-quality clarity speak for itself. I always default to Double Daddy as holding the King of Hearts, since that is how he fancies himself. I will grant you that he is better to Tallulah than Big Daddy is to Scarlett, but he must be lacking something for her to be stepping out with me. Damned if I know what it is though, as the nose smells like a pine forest on a winter's day - cool, minty and resinous. I took my first draught and he reached over, prised my mouth open, pulled out my tongue and began beating it insensate! Jeez-O, man, this was one no-playing-around beer. The hops were unrelenting, beating and scrubbing at my poor, bruised tongue, leaving no question that it was a DIPA in my glass. Double Daddy stopped, reached up and removed his cigar from his mouth and asked, "Yer call. Ya wanna raise, check, or fold?" I suddenly realized that the smart play would be to fold and get the hell outta town, leaving him and his equally psycho brother and their women in my wake. Nobody ever accused me of being smart, so I raised and sat back, eyes watering. "Why are you still here?" asked Double Daddy, doubling down so that my next move would be all-in. "I like it here, Double Daddy," I replied. "People treat me real nice, plus I'm making some decent bank doing this 'n' 'at, here 'n' 'ere." He nodded and then asked a question that chilled me to my core, "Aincha afraid that one of those many twists that yer seein' is gonna blab, either to one of their own or to their old man?" I raised my glass as a toast, unable to speak as my throat was constricted tighter than the feather boa Scarlett wore last night. Double Daddy snorted and I pushed all of my chips to the center of the table. He placed his hand on the table with a big grin, two pair, including the King of Hearts and its partner, the King of Diamonds, fitting since he always sported a big diamond on his right pinky. His smile quickly faded like the rest of the beer in my glass when I revealed a Full House, all Spades. He spat out his stogie, threw a wad of bills at me and told me to get out. I did, but the bitterness he had produced was going to stay with me for a while.

#akashicbooks.com

My original bottle review, dtd 03-25-2007 follows:

I had some of this on tap last night at Arena B & G in Wilkes-Barre and it was deeelishus! Knowing that I had a bottle in my refrigerator at home, I decided to make it my first beer upon my return.

It poured with two fingers' worth of an eggshell-white head. The head also produced some great sticky lacing from top to bottom in the glass. The beer's color was a slightly hazy deep-amber. The nose was huge with hops - wet, floral, spicy, citrusy, just mouthwatering. The mouthfeel was full and almost thick. The taste was very hoppy from the outset to the finish, but it was not as sharp as what I had on tap last night. That is why I prefer to review tap beers, vice out of a bottle - draft is as fresh as it can be. Even so, I can envision myself cracking open another bottle of this in conjunction with some bleu cheese and crusty bread. Imps and Dubs be damned - however you classify it and whatever you call it, this is a really good beer. (4,406 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm surprised to see that this is rated higher, I drank a Pliny the Elder a few nights ago and this is on that level, or so I think.

A- Cloudy unfiltered dark golden color. Little foam, average lacing.

S- Grapefruit smell right away with some pine. Hops kicks in after wards.

T- Smooth tasting, but definitely a hint that its a imperial IPA. Hoppy sweet taste with citrus backgrounds. Malty caramel taste for a finish.

M- Good carbonation, medium body, overall good mouth feel.

D- Very easy to drink, smooth but this one can creep up on you. (549 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured from a botte into a chalice glass.

As always with Speakeasy, the appearance is stunning. Incredible crimson gold with a small foamy head that sticks around. Beautiful.

Smells like a standard IPA. Doesn't blow your hair back like some of the hoppier DIPAs I've had.

Very buttery taste, again, with typical IPA balance.

Feels perfect on the tongue. Nothing else to say.

Overall I went with a 4 rating because I feel a DIPA should knock you out a little more. That said, this is a delicious beer. Go out and get some. (530 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured this beer in a pint glass to reveal a nice light amber color, a tad lighter than most Imperial IPAs. Nice head that lasted for about a quarter of the beer, leaving a little lace on the side of the glass.

The smell was a nice hoppy floral scent that was a fairly strong. Taste was great nice big hoppy flavor, that was balance very well with the malt concidering that this is a Imperial IPA. Mouthfeel was almost perfect, maybe just a little thin, but nothing to complain about.

All in all a great beer and totally worth a try. I would be willing to pay more and get a 6-pack instead of the four pack. (613 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%

Dark golden color with a good head.

This beer is powerful, both the aroma and taste. However, even though you obviously taste that it's a double and a 9.5 abv, it's still delicious. Great example of the style, and despite the high alcohol, actually a very refreshing beer.

Nice mouthfeel, as you certainly know what you're drinking, but not overpowering. Crisp and hoppy, I guess would be the best way to describe it.

Big fan of this one, and definitely will look out for. (475 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +19%

Picked this up in Sheil's Dorset Street Dublin. Only €2.39 a bottle, pretty sweet deal.

Ale pours a lovely light amber/yellow colour with a big white creamy head that settles to an inch against the glass and retains well.

Fantastic aroma from this IPA. Lots of sweet caramel and honey fragrances with some malty and slightly citrus notes.

Taste is sweet up front with malts and caramel to the fore followed by a serious whack of alcohol and a slightly spicey finish that warms beautifully.

Mouthfeel is quite full due to the carbonation and extremely dry to finish.

Given the 9.5% abv, this is hardly a session IPA but there's no doubt it goes down fantastically well and I'm a big fan of a few of these guys on a cool autumn evening. (741 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +19%

I had this after work the other night. It was so refreshing.

Appearance- golden color, nice head, nice lacing

Smell- hops

Taste- refreshing hops, not terribly hoppy but very refreshing

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- This was very nice. I loved it. Very refreshing. It hit the spot. (294 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +19%

Speakeasy double daddy (DIPA) poured into a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale glass. Pours a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale-esk golden color. The carbonation is fairly low but I have this a little too cold (around 45 Degrees).

The aroma is fruity banana ester with big alcohol and at 9.5%ABV its understandable that this beer smells a bit of alcohol.

The taste is big, malty, and very hoppy. This beer is very similar to the DFH 90 minute DIPA.

I don't know why this beer doesn't get higher reviews. I loved it. Maybe people are not taking into account that this is an imperial IPA and not a regular IPA. Expect this to be somewhat an extreme beer. Don't expect this to be like a Bell's Two Hearted Ale or a Dale's Pale Ale. This is hopped, dry hopped, and pumped with mass amounts of alcohol. Good luck and hoppy drinking! (814 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle courtesy of WasTriekensie. A beautiful golden honey with orange hues. Very clear. A full two fingered head and streaks of lace as I consume. A thin covering of foam protects the precious liquid as gentle carbonation appears now and then.

Smell is deep hop oil and pine. A blast of florals and a hint of bourbon like malt, light alcohol. More hop citrus and a a peek-a-boo of toasted sugar/ caramel.

Taste is more of the nose,, hoppy with big malts and a biscuit like presence in the finish. No bourbon but instead a bold yet subtle malt body and yes, grains, crackers and other breads with a big hop finish yielding to the aformentioned biscuits. Yum

Mouthfeel is creamy and lightly effervescent. Medium light weight lend itself to hot weather consumption with grilled foods outside.

Way too drinkable for a 9.5 abv. Easy to quaff not so easy to walk. Great stuff (882 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thin half inch head that's eggshell white and quickly falls to thin spotty clumps on top of the light copper/ruby liquid. There's very thin spotty liquid that is a little less than thrilling.

Somewhat fruity citrus hop aroma which quickly gives way to some alcohol and a slightly sour malt taste (perhaps a rye note?).

Very fruity sweet hop taste with a very sweet toasty spicy sour rye like maltiness. There's also some spicy alcohol to it and has wonderful medium body. Very drinkable DIPA. A wonderful beer, really. This one almost has a barleywine taste and feel to it. Great, really.

Many thanks to Boolshot for this one. (635 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

See this beer in bottles all the time in the city, had to have it on tap.

Pours a beautiful bronze orange sandwiched with lemon highlights.

Floral, hoppy, alcohol smell to it up front. Deep penetrating smell.

Has a deep malt, biting hops, and alcohol finish to it.

Dizzying aftertaste of hops and alcohol. Speakseasy, and Drinkseasy. (340 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

Hazy yellow-gold body, topped by a thick slab of creamy white froth. Good lacing.

Pleasing, inviting nose of citrus, heavy on the grapefruit.

Nice malty start that throws down a landing pad so the hop assault has something to build on. The opening burst of sweetness is strong enough to register before giving way to a delightfully bitter and fruity bite in the back of the throat. Traces of hops linger long after.

Good medium mouthfeel. Very good drinkability.

A well structured Imperial IPA which hides its alcohol and gives you some malt along with big hops. Recommended.

Nice when fresh Speakeasy makes it way to NJ/PA. This sample was only four months old. (678 characters)

Double Daddy from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers